Why is it that a short haired woman is more socially acceptable than a man wearing high heels?

Icon 2012/07/02 01:16:56
I have seen countless pictures of women with short hair who are hailed for their beauty or fashion forwardness. While men who would dare to deviate from the mold risk being ostracized. It is generally accepted that women don't have buzz cuts and men don't wear high heels. So why is it that when women stray from the norm no one really bats an eye. Point and case, no one would accuse the woman pictured of being a lesbian (I don't think), but for the guy many might question his sexual preference. Any takers on why?

I personally love the guy's style minus the hand bag, but that aside I'd
rock that look all day, and as for the woman, I think she beautiful and
were I single, I would jump at the opportunity to date her.

To me, they both have an equal degree of deviation from what is typically socially acceptable for appearance.

Amber RoseGirlfriend Look

• Lew 2014/01/16 01:18:59 (edited)
    Lew
    +1
    As somewhat of a history observer, the only constant in fashion is change. We often make the mistake in thinking the fashion items now have always been and how it is suppose to be. Any derivation is usually not looked upon favorably most of the time. The common use of pants by women was once a societal prohibitive that women in dresses had to fight against for their freedom to wear those morally degrading, body silhouetting items. Of course, men in the 1700's thought their fashion attire of tights, capris pants, ruffled shirts, flowery laced appliques on their coat lapels and sleeves, powered wigs, and high heels were the peak of men's fashion presence. Some of the same type of items are being worn today, but they have only been seen as attire in the women's section. Lately it seems that fashion change means the beautification of women and then leaving the drab and boring items for menswear. This situation maybe acceptable for some people, but I am sure there are also men with the same admiration that women have for wearing attractive apparel, much like the accomplished and scholarly proud men of history. So the actions of men wearing stiletto heels today actually fits into the social discretion some men have been notably tagged for by their attiring selections in former fashion cycles.
  • Adrian Buckley 2012/07/29 10:05:17
    Adrian Buckley
    +1
    I think its more socially acceptable because women just do it with out worry and no one would dear tell a women with short hair that she looks bad or that having short hair is unacceptable, and besides women have been sporting short hair for some time now. But men in heels is somehting that you don't see all the time because most men are affriad of what society thinks of him if he were to wear them in public. If more men who wanted to wear heels just did it and became more visible to society then i would suggest that it would be more acceptable. just my thoughts.
  • Icon Adrian ... 2012/07/29 13:37:42
    Icon
    Interesting. I never thought about it that way. Good point.
  • John Duffee 2012/07/12 23:01:32 (edited)
    John Duffee
    High heels are an admission that one will be physically useless, which is something that a man cannot admit to without being somehow physically handicapped in our culture.

Women have had short hair as an option at various places and times throughout history, several of which predates the abolition of slavery in the United States alone.
  • Icon John Du... 2012/07/13 12:54:30 (edited)
    Icon
    Are you aware that the term "Well Heeled" originated when wealthy men roamed the streets in high heels. Men also wore tights wigs and makeup. These men where the movers and shakers of their time.

Case and point.
    King Louis
  • Pat 2012/07/09 08:57:28
    +1
    You know, women were not always allowed by custom to have their hair short. Their hair was their "crowning glory". Women who had short hair would make people think she may have had to sell her hair for money. Women who started cutting their hair in the roaring twenties were consider cheap and low.
    High heels on the other hand are traditionally women's wear. I could see men in some kind of platform type shoe. I mean really, if a guy wants to wear high heels who am I to try to stop him. He should do what he wants.
  • Icon Pat 2012/07/10 06:19:42
    Icon
    +1
    That's pretty much how I feel.
  • David William 2012/07/02 07:53:46
    David William
    +1
    Honestly, I don't think we should care. But even as a lefty nut, if I see something that I don't usually see, I will judge it. I won't judge it harshly, probably even positively, but I WILL notice,... it would be unfair to ask me not too. I feel that the staring eyes of strangers might make you feel overly persecuted, which I suspect is why you feel that people are looking down on you. People notice difference, it's not a bad thing, it's just a human design characteristic.
  • Icon David W... 2012/07/02 12:52:52
    Icon
    Good point. Thanks for the input.
  • ZB 2012/07/02 04:44:47
    ZB
    +1
    I've been asking similar questions for years now. The only thing I ever seem to get back as an answer is that that is how society is today. Men are supposed to be masculine and manly all the time. A woman rocking male fashions or styles are considered to be trying to be more "manly", whatever the hell manly is anymore. As for the pics, love the look on the girl, the guy needs to lose the purse and the scoop neck shirt. A different shirt showing less chest would have been more complimentary, IMO.
  • Icon ZB 2012/07/02 04:52:25 (edited)
    Icon
    +1
    Minus the purse I think the guy is pretty masculine looking. He's clearly not trying to pass himself off as effeminate and comes off as confident. I guess I need to start making more outings in heels. LOL
  • ZB Icon 2014/06/30 02:42:41
    ZB
    +1
    I'd kill myself in heels. I'm willing to try wedges though. If I could find some that weren't five inches high.
  • Lew ZB 2014/06/29 18:28:42 (edited)
    Lew
    +2
    It's kind of ironic that guys can go shirtless at times, but they are considered unmanly when they're wearing low cut or scoop neck tops, seem to be another ridiculous expectation for manhood attiring. Concerning the heels - they are another styling of footwear to be chosen by those desiring to wear them. The truth be told all items of attire are subject to being chosen by those who want such adornments. The labeling and intended use of attire was created by people with their ideas on class or status agendas. When civilization was just starting and attire was little more than the coverings of large leaves or later animal hides, the use of these coverings were for protection from the perceived harmful elements of their environment and for the satisfying of their beliefs on morality. The invention or creation of fabrics for clothing came much later when weaving strands of fiber from the vegetation or furs proved to be more useful and better than attaching large leaves together. I doubt they were concerned with the styling and design of clothes any more than being functionally adaptable, back then.
  • ZB Lew 2014/06/30 02:41:33
    ZB
    True on all counts. I'm and avid skirt, tights, and leggings wearer. If I could, if only wear skirts. My job won't let me. :( Almost all my shoes are women's as well. No heels though. I'd kill myself I think.
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2012/07/02 03:16:58
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    Because...she's a WOMAN
    Amber Rose
    Natalie Raitano
  • Icon C-ZAR™,... 2012/07/02 03:20:55
    Icon
    +1
    So girls get a pass because they are girls?
  • C-ZAR™,... Icon 2012/07/02 03:24:56
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +1
    Yes, I mean you can wear them if that's your thing, since it's not the norm, you'll probably be called a cross-dresser, or Transvestite, or people will think you're gay if you are not
  • Icon C-ZAR™,... 2012/07/02 03:41:05
    Icon
    +1
    I doubt anyone would call me gay, maybe crazy but not gay.
  • C-ZAR™,... Icon 2012/07/02 03:45:18
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +1
    Heels look hotter on girls anyway, lol
    sorry dude
  • Icon C-ZAR™,... 2012/07/02 03:46:57
    Icon
    +1
    I couldn't agree with you more on that one.
  • L1 2012/07/02 02:51:44
    L1
    The way a culture is, can be why it's like that.
  • Icon L1 2012/07/02 02:56:48
    Icon
    True enough.
  • Flamingolady 2012/07/02 02:34:25
  • Icon Flaming... 2012/07/02 02:56:15 (edited)
    Icon
    Ouch. Sorry for being so harsh earlier. I'd just like to hear the logic behind your opinion.
  • Flaming... Icon 2012/07/02 13:01:16
    Flamingolady
    +1
    It's like this. Short hair on a woman may be because she does not like her hair longer. It may be easier to care for, etc. But a MAN in HIGH HEELS, how the hell does one explain that??? Not to mention how STUPID it looks???
  • Icon Flaming... 2012/07/03 05:38:09 (edited)
    Icon
    Much like your example with the woman, the man may not like wearing flat shoes. He may just want to stand a little taller or whatever. But a WOMAN with a BUZZ CUT to me that's a haircut primarily reserved for male military recruits.

Army hair cut

The point being made here is that the inverse could be said as well. And finally thanks for elaborating on your opinion.
  • Adrian ... Flaming... 2012/07/29 10:00:47
    Adrian Buckley
    +1
    A man in high heels is easy to explain. I wear high heels cause I want too. I like the look of the ones I have. I feel comfortable in them and I'm sure like women, other men that wear heels would feel somewhat the same.
  • Flaming... Adrian ... 2012/08/08 03:06:51
  • Adrian ... Flaming... 2012/08/08 12:17:05
    Adrian Buckley
    +1
    Well. Regardless of your reply I really couldn't care what other people think about me when I wear heels and the clothes that I wear. Nor do I care what women do. But my reason for wearing heels just out of interest is because I have seen enough death as A paramedic over the years to realise that life is short and only I have control over my life. When I'm old and on my death bed Ican say I did what Iwanted to do and am proud of it including wears shoes that I like.
  • Icon Adrian ... 2012/08/09 00:40:44
    Icon
    Amen to that!
  • sockpuppet 2012/07/02 02:15:41
    sockpuppet
    +1
    I think it's because a woman looks feminine and serious, almost any way you present her,
    while a man just looks camp and silly in women's clothing.
  • Icon sockpuppet 2012/07/02 02:23:37
    Icon
    +1
    Thanks for responding to my question.
  • Lew sockpuppet 2014/04/07 05:38:15 (edited)
    Lew
    +1
    Women have been dressing in men's attire for some time now and society has gotten use to the displays, but there was a time that women were persecuted, ridiculed, and even jailed and sent to psych wards for wearing men's clothes.
    When men quit worrying about being perceived as lesser beings and start living up to and being the man they are, they too could be enjoying the same freedoms to choose women have come to know. The gender labels on wearing apparel were attached to them by someone, which means they were determined by a person/group making the status man-made. Since people can change their mind and attitude, it is up to each person to choose how they want to adorn their appearance according to who they are. Men wearing stiletto heels and other items of comfortable form fitting attire would eventually be as common as women cutting their hair short and dressing in pant suits, dresses, shirts/blouses, skirts, jeans, heels, and etc.
  • sockpuppet Lew 2014/04/09 07:53:09
    sockpuppet
    You wear this stuff because it's feminine, though. So you attach 'gender labels' to it, too, or you wouldn't be doing it.
  • Lew sockpuppet 2014/04/13 03:44:38
    Lew
    +1
    Not necessarily true. I have the desire to adorn with certain items of apparel that just so happen to be sociably labeled at this time period to be outside of my stereotypical choices. On their own, these items have no gender assignments. They are something to be chosen by anyone who wishes to select them. Is it normal for anyone to be confined to wear boring and drab colored clothing? Sounds more like social prison garb or another type of class identity status that prevalently ruled in the Dark Ages of human history. Life should be a stage for exploring and learning where ever a person has the motivation to go, even if others have already ventured. Of course, these ventures would be considered an invasion of another person's agency, should they, with out proper consent, cause some one harm or limit their potentials to also proceed upon desired quests.
  • sockpuppet Lew 2014/04/13 04:40:37 (edited)
    sockpuppet
    You know, a corset is specifically designed to emphasize the hourglass shape of a woman... rather than the characteristic "V" of a man. And there's a biological basis for high heels, as well. It has to do with pelvic tilt and the attitude of sexual receptivity.

You claim that gender associations aren't *necessarily* the reason you wear these things, but haven't actually ruled it out. Not that it's any of my business.

Not meaning to judge you, here... I think people should dress (or not) as they please. Just advancing a theory directly related to the question at hand.
  • Lew sockpuppet 2014/05/11 00:34:40 (edited)
    Lew
    +1
    For those who choose to use corsets or cinchers, they have my admiration for deciding to undergo such torture to achieve a specific figure shaping. As far as wearing heels, your stated purposes are only part of the many reasons people either select or avoid them. One of my main reasons for wearing stiletto pumps is that I have the desire to adorn with them. All the other effects that I may feel or understand from wearing heels are considered bonuses.

Does a person's sex determine whether or not they have the desire to own, maintain, and drive a specific car or what type of shows, programs, movies, and activities they like and participate in? People shouldn't be equated by their sex for the things they choose to have or do. It has been a traditional and cultural assumption that a person's gender and sex are virtually synonymous. Due to the many examples of personal relationships and evidences of people crossing the gender line, leads me to believe a person develops their gender traits as they grow by the intelligence they are. It is actually sad to hear that a female personage is trapped inside of a male body or vice versa. How can that be, if this isn't an extreme example of a person being inaccurately labeled due to the inaccuracy and/or the incorrectness of their stereotyping?

...

So whether a person chooses to cut their hair short, wear high heels, select pink attire, or crave a strange combination of food doesn't change their sex, but it does exhibit the person they are. Stereotyping has caused people to expect others to be or match up to the ideals it promotes. This is a social problem that has effected many of the relationships, whether committed or casual, to fail or become distant, should the participants become disillusioned when they or their partner doesn't match up to the social expectations.
  • sockpuppet Lew 2014/05/11 12:54:22
    sockpuppet
    You view basic gender archetypes as a problem? In the way the obese might view healthy dietary habits as a problem?

I dunno, Yogi. I think these things exist for a reason.

2014/07/30 11:06:40