Why is humanity so jaded? Did we learn and experience too much too soon, over the past 100 years or so, or is our species just destined to be as uncaring and unfeeling as it is?

• Lorenzo 2009/12/18 13:34:51
    Lorenzo
    +1
    Mankind has always been jaded. I don't think we have changed since the beginning of time.
  • crimson dragon 2009/12/18 03:54:49
    crimson dragon
    +1
    Bad water in the gene pool.
  • MisunWahya 2009/12/17 10:25:23
    MisunWahya
    +2
    Adaptation to a jaded world.
  • ¡ǝɯ ʇǝƃ ǝɯoɔ ˙˙˙ǝɯ ʇuɐʍ noʎ ɟı
    +2
    because its instinct to only think about yourself. that was how we were made. and luckily, some of us have a heart built in with them, not just a brain.
  • Rocko 2009/10/21 12:05:17
    Rocko
    +2
    bombarded with images of war ,death and people being killed and maimed worldwide. its kinda hard to love thy neighbor when the very lesson the world is teaching us absolute violence and hatred, it seems to be funny to people nowdays when someone is hurting
  • ImgonaluvAztroBoi4eva 2009/10/21 06:20:11
    ImgonaluvAztroBoi4eva
    +2
    I think humans have always been the same type of creatures, reacting with the same emotions and behavioral patterns, but the difference being the changing of the circumstances of the daily living process. The world around us may have changed dramatically and quickly when compared to the histoical timeline, yet I don't think we've evolved all that much at all. I think our negative ways of thinking and doing still exist in a major way. The world around us has changed much but we haven't. And I know what you're eluding to DD, I feel it/sense it and observe it too. There's a world-mood that blankets, and it seems to have been escalated in nature. People seem very uptight and close to explosive compared to the amount that technology has improved our living experiences. That to me seems to be a real conundrum as to why that is...There's no way to measure it, all would be estimation. Maybe there is so much more jadedness due to the increase in the population. Maybe the amount is the same but now with more people on the planet to contribute. It does seem to be at an all time high though...

Good to see you here again DD! : )
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2009/10/21 06:12:41 (edited)
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +2
    When the economy is bad everything gets jaded.

economy geta jaded

economy geta jaded

economy geta jaded

economy geta jaded

economy geta jaded
  • oh my science 2009/10/20 22:43:13
    oh my science
    +3
    because religion has tainted and corrupted it
  • Pseudonym 2009/10/20 22:07:18
    Pseudonym
    +2
    "Jaded" you say?

You are too polite sir.

jaded polite sir

jaded polite sir

jaded polite sir

jaded polite sir

See? It's easy. It comes naturally. Just repeat the patterns as they've been placed
    before you. And by all means stop asking "Why?"
  • K-ZOOMI-----0 2009/10/20 21:29:37 (edited)
    K-ZOOMI-----0
    +3
    Beats Me!

beats
  • Dark De... K-ZOOMI... 2009/10/20 21:49:39
    Dark Demonic™ ★ The Original SodaHead Guru ★
    +1
    LMAO!! :o)
  • Patsy I... K-ZOOMI... 2009/10/21 03:34:26
    Patsy Inclined
    +2
    I've often wondered if we are not breeding a whole generation of homicidal sociopaths with the fabulous tutelage being offered on murder, torture, and crime from the likes of CSI, Criminal Minds, etc. Since murder is so horrific, why do we glorify it?

offered murder torture crime csi criminal minds murder horrific glorify
  • K-ZOOMI... Patsy I... 2009/10/21 19:50:06
    K-ZOOMI-----0
    +2
    I'm torn with this. 'NCIS' is great. I like 'Criminal Minds' and 'CSI' wrote the book on this genre. I believe that they sometimes go way to far with the reality; BUT, I love a good detective story and I love 'em. Americans have always yearned for a great detective story. All you have to do is pick up a Sherlock Holmes book. Agatha Christie novel.
    My favorite: em americans yearned detective story sherlock holmes book agatha christie
  • Patsy I... K-ZOOMI... 2009/10/21 20:37:58
    Patsy Inclined
    +2
    I haven't read an Agatha Christie novel, but I very much enjoyed seeing a theatrical production of Ten Little Indians. I think if we took take a page from other cultures in that less is actually more...no need to go graphic to make a point...actually, the ability to be subtle is underrated.
  • K-ZOOMI... Patsy I... 2009/10/21 21:25:24
  • Patsy I... K-ZOOMI... 2009/10/21 22:06:36
    Patsy Inclined
    +2
    Great example!
  • Elfy K-ZOOMI... 2009/12/05 23:28:40
    Elfy
    +4
    No, Dr. White did it with the swine flu vaccinations!
  • K-ZOOMI... Elfy 2009/12/07 21:37:38
    K-ZOOMI-----0
    +3
    So TRUE it's scary! lol.
  • Death Faerie 2009/10/20 21:21:28
    Death Faerie
    +2
    I can't speak for others but I can speak for myself. I've been through so much in my life, seen so much misery in the world, I know how people are.

But I know there is beauty in the world still, so I'm not completely jaded, yet.
  • Rusty Shackelford 2009/10/20 20:39:48
    Rusty Shackelford
    +4
    Being jaded is cool. All the martians are doing it.
  • Blistful 2009/10/20 20:25:37
    Blistful
    +1
    What would make you think in such a way? There are good and there are bad people in this World. It's up to you which one of them you are gonna allow to Influence or Control you...
  • Dark De... Blistful 2009/10/20 20:49:49
    +1
    What would make me think such a way? I read Americans making fun of 911 and it got me thinking. With so many movies displaying similar things, like buildings exploding, maybe the line between reality and fantasy is too thin for some people to be able to tell the difference. It was such an uncaring and unfeeling attitude towards an event that killed so many people.
  • Blistful Dark De... 2009/10/20 23:21:24
    Blistful
    +1
    That's because there are some people too Ignorant to have enough sense to know better. Believe it or not, there are people out there who really don't care.. people ignorant people care
  • Princes... Dark De... 2009/12/14 18:54:04
    Princess Eeyore
    +1
    "I read Americans making fun of 911"

Hey! I resemble that comment!
  • Tiger Annie. AMERICAN. . w... 2009/10/20 19:16:45
    Tiger Annie.  AMERICAN. . waving the flag!
    +2
    Hello, DD! Long time, no see.
    I don't feel like on an individual basis that people are that jaded. But the collective effort it seems decides when that perspective changes.
  • Dark De... Tiger A... 2009/10/20 20:50:25
    +1
    Hey, Tiger Annie. :o)

You could be right.
  • Serious Business 2009/10/20 16:50:46
  • Disko Pickle 2009/10/20 14:41:41
    Disko Pickle
    +5
    I don't agree with your premise. Humanity is probably less jaded now than at any time in history.
  • Dark De... Disko P... 2009/10/20 20:51:39
    Care to enlighten me on what makes you feel that way?
  • Disko P... Dark De... 2009/10/21 02:31:26
    Disko Pickle
    +2
    Centuries ago, people lived from day to day, never knowing if they would have enough to eat or if their children would get sick an die. They knew that their lives were miserable and they acted accordingly. They hated anyone from outside their clan or tribe and usually killed anyone who they considered an outsider.

Today, there is far more altruism, respect for complete strangers and hope for the future than in the past. This is especially true in poorer countries. People in developing countries see the life that people in the developed world as an example to strive for. It's a tremendously positive outlook. I've lived in a developing country and I saw that, despite everything that is screwed up about the U.S., they saw our society as a role model for what their society could become. People didn't used to think like that until the last couple of hundred years. People didn't even believe in the future. It was all about remaining true to the ways of the past, even though everyone knew that it would doom them to a life of misery.
  • Dark De... Disko P... 2009/10/21 19:46:31
    +1
    An interesting perspective. I don't think we are any less or more jaded than at any other time in history. There will always be people that care (Liberals) and people who are selfish (Conservatives).
  • Patsy Inclined 2009/10/20 14:37:31
    Patsy Inclined
    +3
    It's probably all the chemicals in our drinking water making us crazy...so many people need meds to combat the blues...maybe if everyone just played more, got more fresh air and sunshine, and took regular naps after enjoying our milk and cookies we'd be more like happy preschoolers. fresh air sunshine regular naps enjoying milk cookies happy preschoolers
  • Red high priestess in Nyx I... 2009/10/20 14:30:18
    Red high priestess in Nyx I trust
    +1
    I don't know why we are so jaded, but I don't like it one bit!
  • Captain Sticky 2009/10/20 14:29:31
    Captain Sticky
    +2
    There are just too many people on this planet. That's the cause of almost all of our problems.
  • Chef Don 2009/10/20 12:54:41
    Chef Don
    +3
    This is a simple question to answer. Even the simplest of lifeforms could figure out that there's simply not enough donuts in the world. We need to come together as a race of carbon-based life forms to strengthen the Donuts Around the World initiative and seek to 'unjade' our brothers and sisters with delicious pastry treats. Seems simple enough, no?
  • Patsy I... Chef Don 2009/10/20 14:26:56 (edited)
    Patsy Inclined
    +3
    When I had to work in a cubicle at a job where people were so very jaded, I always kept a huge candy jar filled with really good candy on the corner of my desk...this sugary distraction kept peace and harmony around my immediate work area...hard to crab and groan when you have a yummy piece of chocolate in your mouth flooding your brain with seratonin...LOL! This really worked wonders...because my boss was something like this: chocolate mouth flooding yoru brain seratonin lol worked boss somethign
  • sugarbuzz Patsy I... 2009/10/21 03:13:45
    sugarbuzz
    +2
    looks like he need a suspender wedgie!
  • Patsy I... sugarbuzz 2009/10/21 03:25:33
    Patsy Inclined
    +2
    LOL! I always thought he should've been secretly video taped and forced to listen to his own droning. I kept in touch with a few of my old colleagues and we still laugh about this guy...easier to do now that I no longer have to tolerate him...I am more humored than annoyed. There were days I ate my own candy to keep MY serotonin levels up...LOL!
  • sugarbuzz Patsy I... 2009/10/21 18:15:34
    sugarbuzz
    +2
    I wouldn't cut out the chocolate, blood needs that component! Maybe you could tape him and use it as a sleep potion for those with sleep disorders. There is a place in the Universe for everything, just have to find the proper application!
  • Patsy I... sugarbuzz 2009/10/21 20:35:43
    Patsy Inclined
    +2
    Well said Sugarbuzz!

2014/07/30 10:56:56