Why Is Announcing Your Gay Such A Big Deal?

Trish 2013/05/06 12:36:23
Let me say first I personnaly do not agree with Homosexuality.

However I will try not to be as biased as possible. (might not be possible)

But there is an influx in people, mostly celebrities, "coming out the closet" to announce to the world that they are not heterosexual. Then after doing it they get the celebratory applause and a big party, publicity, interviews and millions of dollars,

for being gay....

But let the good ole "homosexual non believer" raise his hand and all hell breaks loose.

Why is a deviant lifestyle and sexual preferance preferred for celebration before knowing how much charity work that person has done? Why is announcing your sexuality more important than the church travelling to Africa to help save dying children and building schools, why is announcing your sexuality more important to the media than people dying from war in the middle East, or the abortionist who killed LIVE babies and forced young women to have abortions.

Why does the living world NEED to know your personal business?? If your gay, fine your gay, congrats, good job, but the public honestly doesnt need to know and neither do we care.

• Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2013/05/06 18:30:27 (edited)
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +33
    Everybody always says.. "nobody cares" and "keep it to yourself". Okay. Do you, as a straight person keep it to yourself?

This is virtually impossible, for either straight or homosexual people. Keep it to yourself.

This means:

Do not show us pictures of your partner. Don't put them on your desk, your computer or in your wallet. We do not want to see your family.

Do not bring your partner to a company function. Christmas party, picinic, or dinner. We do not want to see who you date.

Don't be friends with us on Facebook or other Social Media sites. We do not care about your personal life.

Don't have a romantic dinner in public. We don't want to see it.

Don't hold hands.

Don't comfort each other when needed.

Don't have weddings and birth announcements.

You see, your sexuality seeps into your everyday life. Whether you want it to or not. You talk about the people you love. You show pictures, you bring them to functions.

Now what you and other people are saying, is gay people should not be allowed to do that. And if that is the case. Neither should you.

Why is "coming out" a big deal? Because it is. Until you have faced the fear that the people who are supposed to love you wont, the fear that you could lose your job. The fear that you could lose your income, you will NEVER underst...

This means:

Don't hold hands.

Don't comfort each other when needed.

Why is "coming out" a big deal? Because it is. Until you have faced the fear that the people who are supposed to love you wont, the fear that you could lose your job. The fear that you could lose your income, you will NEVER understand why it is a big deal.

• Verberat 2013/07/14 00:53:11
    We Care If Your Gay.
    Verberat
    It's to celebrate being true to yourself.

There is nothing wrong with encouraging full acceptance of homosexuality and bisexuality in society. It certainly won't hurt anyone. It should be seen as normal and equal to heterosexuality, because it is! A huge benefit to society is that same-sex couples can adopt babies to give them a loving home and family.
  • Lucas 2013/06/21 10:05:02
    Lucas
    Well perhaps it's because we aren't all emotionless.
    The 'living world' does not 'NEED' to know people's personal business, however invariably does.
    The big deal about coming out of the closet is that the wold makes a big deal out of it, especially homophobic people.
    I, personally, find it slightly ironic that homophobes ask this kind of question quite frequently, when they are the reason.
    Also, please ensure that any future questions you post are intelligible, words missing in sentences is not the best way to present your views. Also, you spelt "you're" wrong.
  • alicestarbright 2013/06/05 02:45:15
    alicestarbright
    Because your family and friends could disown you
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2013/05/24 18:59:58
    The World Doesnt Need To Know Your Sexuality.
    Just MEH....Piwan
    I am not a supporter of gays, but I won't commit any hate crimes towards them, but they are too frontal about it now. I don't think it is appropriate for anyone to discuss their sex lives!
  • mrwan 2013/05/15 02:48:12
    mrwan
    Gay
    We are created man and woman. why? I am a man and you know what. When I see a gay he Undermines my honor . gays was her since years ago . why thay are calling now for benefits?
    I think we are as a human love sex . when we cheating our lovers And search for anther entertainment with anther one ,anther and anther , we kill our humanity to be balanced from sexuality side then became gay and lesbians .
    This is an explosion in our mortality and wewe should back
    We should back
  • nerak611 2013/05/11 06:52:08
    nerak611
    It's nobody's business what goes on behind closed bedroom doors as long as it is consenting adults. Many rich and famous come out in support - so other's see if they can do it, so can they. We all have the right to enjoy love - our partners - to be happy, and to express our happiness - regardless.
  • Jerry 2013/05/09 15:27:47
    Jerry
    ........ " ......... I'm disgusted with a smaller group of Americans trying to force gay rights on the rest of a heterosexual population of America....... God, commands that homosexuality is a abomination and sin, against Him....... and He, created human beings, Our Earth and the whole Universe...... { I am not interested what the gay community wants, wants to amend in Our present Constitution, or wants to abolish ........ They do not speak for Me........ } .......... " ........ human beings earth universe gay community amend constitution abolish speak
  • Commenting_one 2013/05/09 08:12:39
    Commenting_one
    Boy, the the topic poster and others do not get why it is a "big deal". Some seem so devoid of possessing any empathy or compassion, not walking in another's shoes - completely wrapped up in some belief system of their own. It needs to be understood how some must feel, having being treated differently, not being accepted, to having it insisted upon to refrain from being themselves and to "act like someone they are not".

After years of having to "hold back", fearing opening up, experiencing obviously painful pressure that has contributed to bullying, hate crimes and suicide, things have been slowly changing. There has been an increasing movement toward acceptance, freedom, laws - and are headed toward seeing equality for all. It has been this change that is allowing the freedom that some finally feel -- to be able to open up about being who they are and must feel they have a load taken off their shoulders.

So, the real question is, how does ANYONE ask such a thoughtless and absurd question?
  • Little Miss Batman 2013/05/08 19:38:17
    Little Miss Batman
    +2
    Well here are some ideas on why people would come out to the world. I am Bisexual and I am not afraid to say it.
    1.) They want to show people who they really are and that being Gay is Okay.
    2.) They want to get out there so other people know it's okay to come out and admit it.
    3.) They'd feel better getting it off their shoulders.
  • mrwan Little ... 2013/05/15 02:58:23
    mrwan
    I agree with you never should be afraid .
    You are shame
  • Little ... mrwan 2013/05/15 17:03:19
    Little Miss Batman
    I am shame?
  • JoLost 2013/05/08 17:31:47 (edited)
    JoLost
    +2
    In the US, because they can in the exercise of their 1st Amendment "Bill of rights".

In response to your question of the "church".

If you're religious, fine you're religious, congrats, good job, but the public honestly doesnt need to know and neither do we care.
  • Zella 2013/05/08 15:48:50
    Zella
    +1
    PDA even for straight people is disturbing for the public to see..I don't care who is gay or straight but straight people and gay people need to be considerate.
  • Tallulah 2013/05/08 03:00:15
  • art1ej 2013/05/07 17:53:36
    art1ej
    +4
    Because it's a big deal when so much hate is thrown towards gay people & to help younger people who are struggling with their sexuality....
    being straight is pushed everyday & i see no one has a problem with that?...
  • yourbeebeegirl 2013/05/07 14:30:36
    yourbeebeegirl
    Because sometime ya just wanna
    1915516
  • elijahin24 2013/05/07 14:04:05
    elijahin24
    +3
    I see this as a false delema. I think if anyone (religious or otherwise) goes to Africa (or any other impovrished place) to build schools or hospitals (or to do any other good humanitarian work), they should be applauded. But that doesn't make it news, and while it is certainly life-changing for those who are directly affected by it; it isn't world-changing. No matter how many schools and hospitals are built, there will always be poverty somewhere.
    But issues of equality are different. They are world changing. When a soldier is allowed to be honest about who he is, others see that, and are able to be honest about who they are. When Jason Collins came out, he opened the closet door for other athletes to be honest about who they are. This is a surge forward in societal evolution.
    I've seen it in my own family. They are very devout Christians, and were very anti-gay. But most of them didn't know any gay people, to their knowledge. When my aunt came out, suddenly, they realized that this person they loved was the very thing they thought they hated. And while there was certainly some open hostility, resulting from that announcement; as years have passed, they've realized that she is the same sister/daughter/aunt, that she had always been. Suddenly they are realizing that, while t...
    I've seen it in my own family. They are very devout Christians, and were very anti-gay. But most of them didn't know any gay people, to their knowledge. When my aunt came out, suddenly, they realized that this person they loved was the very thing they thought they hated. And while there was certainly some open hostility, resulting from that announcement; as years have passed, they've realized that she is the same sister/daughter/aunt, that she had always been. Suddenly they are realizing that, while they still believe the act of gay-sex to be sinful; those who are gay, are no greater sinners, than those who lie, commit adultery, or say hurtful things. In fact, as it pertains to practical effect (they believe that all sin is equal in the eyes of god; but the effect of the sin, does make one worse than another here on earth); any of those others, is ultimately more harmful.
    On a larger scale, seeing Collins come out, or seeing gay soldiers, helps to debunk some of the false stereotypes, assosiated with homosexuality. Seeing how many gays are actually out there, living their lives, being monogymous, hurting no one, and in most cases, doing good things for the world around them; helps to relieve some people's fears that if gays are allowed equal rights, that the sky will fall.
  • Roberto 2013/05/07 13:19:04
    Roberto
    +2
    The only reason "coming out" still exists is because the U.S is a deeply religious nation with 76% of the country identifying with some form of Christianity or another. 34% fall into the full-blown against everything, anti-science, anti-change conservative evangelical crowd. Most of the foreign gays have to be explained these things because they live in an open and honest society where nobody cares what your race, sex, or sexual orientation is. We're on the brink of going into a theocracy and the fact the U.S allows radical fringes such as the WBC and Pat Robertson Ministries to thrive is only because the Reagan presidency and the Bushes royally screwed our nation up. Had McCain won or Romney won we'd be a hair away from becoming The Republic of Gilead from "The Handmaid's Tale". People are being celebrated for their courage to open up and tell the truth in a judgemental society of lunatic fundamentalists who in the blink of an eye strip everyone of the freedoms we have.
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2013/05/07 07:34:04
    We Care If Your Gay.
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +1
    What Melicious said. ...:-)
  • yogiOK 2013/05/07 06:23:41
    yogiOK
    +2
    It's just an attention-grabber.
  • findthe... yogiOK 2013/05/08 04:36:02
    findthelight2000
    I see you have no problem showing everyone your sexuality, even in the picture you chose to display on SH.
  • yogiOK findthe... 2013/05/08 16:27:24
    yogiOK
    +1
    There is no formal announcement, and I am simply shown with a friend at a diner. I would hope that no one would presume my sexuality from whom my friends are. I seek no attention for myself, and don't need it.
  • findthe... yogiOK 2013/05/08 20:12:53
    findthelight2000
    Isn't that what you are doing to gay people?
  • yogiOK findthe... 2013/05/09 02:11:51
    yogiOK
    No, there is no presumption if they are "coming out."
  • ZeldaFan13 2013/05/07 06:14:25 (edited)
    ZeldaFan13
    +4
    Let me ask you this... what would happen if you suddenly saw a man (or woman) you know personally show affection to another person of the same sex? There's no doubt that you'd be shocked or curious. Don't lie and say you wouldn't, because you would. That's why we come out. Some straight people think it's so easy to be Gay, but it's not. We have the fear of being disowned and rejected by family and friends because of our sexual orientation.

So, would you rather just see a person you know personally show affection toward another person of the same gender and be shocked OR would you rather know they're Gay so the shock-level isn't as high?

I would love to express this opinion in a more detailed and informative way, but I believe Deliciously Melicious (Top Comment) pretty much summarizes it very well!
  • Trish ZeldaFan13 2013/05/07 10:50:27
    Trish
    Trust me I don't get curious about it.
    Iv seen men in my school get a little too close to be "just friends" and I never get curious.
  • ZeldaFan13 Trish 2013/05/07 18:50:55
    ZeldaFan13
    Read the comment made by Deliciously Melicious (Top Comment). She said this much better than I did.
  • Trish ZeldaFan13 2013/05/07 19:10:11
    Trish
    I already read it :)
  • ZeldaFan13 Trish 2013/05/07 19:14:05
    ZeldaFan13
    Well, then that's your answer. I have never read such a perfect answer to a question like this before. That's exactly how I wish I could express my opinion on this topic and issue, but I could never come up with such a fantastic answer like she did.
  • Trish ZeldaFan13 2013/05/07 22:35:34
    Trish
    She really did state it quite eloquently and fully to her point.
    I respect that.
  • findthe... Trish 2013/05/08 04:37:24
    findthelight2000
    +2
    If you weren't curious, you would never have posted this poll.
  • Trish findthe... 2013/05/08 19:38:54
    Trish
    This question is a why question.
    Not a are striaght or gay question.
  • findthe... Trish 2013/05/08 20:13:14
    findthelight2000
    Wrong.
  • Naime 2013/05/07 03:59:48
    Naime
    +2
    Easy. It is not.
  • Bibliophilic 2013/05/07 03:08:24
    Bibliophilic
    +5
    Because we live in a world were many people are murdered, beaten and mistreated just for being gay.
  • Naime Bibliop... 2013/05/07 04:02:35
    Naime
    +2
    Gays are not the only ones. Christians, Muslims, and countless people of other religious and political beliefs are treated in the very same ways.
  • Drebi Naime 2013/05/07 04:22:24
    Drebi
    +8
    Their rights and freedoms are not being trampled on nearly as much as non-heterosexuals. They aren't usually expected to hide their religion. They cannot legally be fired or discriminated against because of their religion.

When is the last time you heard of someone being fired just because they were Christian? Of an American family disowning their child just because they were Christian? Of Americans harassing, abusing, and murdering someone just because they were Christian? Christians make up the largest religion in the world. Yes, in some places, I'm sure they are oppressed, abused or murdered...but it is far, far, less likely to happen than it is for someone who is non-heterosexual.
  • Naime Drebi 2013/05/07 04:26:50
    Naime
    +3
    You would be surprised. Take a step out of the box in which they trapped you and see the light of a true reality. It looks much different from the outside.
  • Drebi Naime 2013/05/07 04:35:43
    Drebi
    +5
    Take a step out of the box in which they trapped you...

Who is it that has trapped me in a box exactly? The US Constitution which has granted religious institutions freedom from legal discrimination? The Supreme Court which has decided that people cannot be legally discriminated against for being religious? The majority of Americans - who are Christian, and so do not harass, abuse, or murder others for simply being the same as they are? Who are these people who have "trapped me in a box"?
  • Naime Drebi 2013/05/07 04:39:26
    Naime
    +3
    If you believe that people of religions are so lightly being persecuted then you have been trapped for a long, long time.

2014/07/28 20:38:21