Why Does God Allow Natural Disasters?

FREED Speaks Up 2011/03/15 14:36:19
Related Topics: God, Christian, Weather

"Why does God allow natural disasters, i.e. earthquakes, hurricanes, and tsunamis?"

Why does God allow earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, tsunamis, typhoons, cyclones, mudslides, and other natural disasters? Tragedies such as Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the 2008 cyclone in Myanmar, the 2010 earthquake in Haiti, and the 2011 earthquake/tsunami near Japan cause many people to question God’s goodness. It is distressing that natural disasters are often termed “acts of God” while no “credit” is given to God for years, decades, or even centuries of peaceful weather. God created the whole universe and the laws of nature (Genesis 1:1). Most natural disasters are a result of these laws at work. Hurricanes, typhoons, and tornados are the results of divergent weather patterns colliding. Earthquakes are the result of the earth’s plate structure shifting. A tsunami is caused by an underwater earthquake.

The Bible proclaims that Jesus Christ holds all of nature together (Colossians 1:16-17). Could God prevent natural disasters? Absolutely! Does God sometimes influence the weather? Yes, as we see in Deuteronomy 11:17 and James 5:17. Numbers 16:30-34 shows us that God sometimes causes natural disasters as a judgment against sin. The book of Revelation describes many events which could definitely be described as natural disasters (Revelation chapters 6, 8, and 16). Is every natural disaster a punishment from God? Absolutely not.

In much the same way that God allows evil people to commit evil acts, God allows the earth to reflect the consequences sin has had on creation. Romans 8:19-21 tells us, “The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.” The fall of humanity into sin had effects on everything, including the world we inhabit. Everything in creation is subject to “frustration” and “decay.” Sin is the ultimate cause of natural disasters just as it is the cause of death, disease, and suffering.

We can understand why natural disasters occur. What we do not understand is why God allows them to occur. Why did God allow the tsunami to kill over 225,000 people in Asia? Why did God allow Hurricane Katrina to destroy the homes of thousands of people? For one thing, such events shake our confidence in this life and force us to think about eternity. Churches are usually filled after disasters as people realize how tenuous their lives really are and how life can be taken away in an instant. What we do know is this: God is good! Many amazing miracles occurred during the course of natural disasters that prevented even greater loss of life. Natural disasters cause millions of people to reevaluate their priorities in life. Hundreds of millions of dollars in aid is sent to help the people who are suffering. Christian ministries have the opportunity to help, minister, counsel, pray, and lead people to saving faith in Christ! God can, and does, bring great good out of terrible tragedies (Romans 8:28).

TODAY is the DAY of Salvation. Where will you be when you die?

• autumn_1959 2011/03/15 14:42:58
    I will be .... here's why
    autumn_1959
    +3
    to give us warning and to get our attention that we need to turn back to him

• Radical Ed 2011/04/17 13:36:06
    I will be .... here's why
    Radical Ed
    i will be honest with you, natural disasters are caused by the movement of tectonic plates (earthquakes, tsunami) and air temparture and pressure (hurricaines). if it was god then it could just come out and say "look at me!!" rather than kill people out of slight of hand.
  • Ray Ray 2011/03/19 16:40:19
    I will be .... here's why
    Ray Ray
    He dose this to see how we will react. Whether we will make the right choices
    Because Mother Nature is more powerful.
  • animelover_in_God_I_trust 2011/03/16 11:33:51
    I will be .... here's why
    animelover_in_God_I_trust
    In Judges it talks about how the Israelites Keept turning their backs on the Lord and how He put them in slavment untill they cried out for Him. We can never know the true reason why God does what He does but one thing we must always keep with us is that He always has a plan for good and not evil. If you take a look at Revelation you will see that most of what it descibes is whats happening in todays world.
  • adhikari_2000 2011/03/16 03:31:50
    I will be .... here's why
    adhikari_2000
    Dear Friends, It is true we suffer, God instructs the heart, not by ideas, but by pains and contradictions.We need Jesus to have charity for sufferers. Thank you.
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2011/03/16 02:57:09
    I will be .... here's why
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
    Jesus is the strongest power in the world.I stand on the side of Jesus.
  • AK 2011/03/15 17:10:42
    I will be .... here's why
    AK
    +1
    Cause "god" is no match for mother nature? :)
  • Jim in SC 2011/03/15 16:34:44
    I will be .... here's why
    Jim in SC
    +1
    I will be in heaven when I die, because I have placed my faith in Jesus Christ and His gospel.

Natural disasters are a part of fallen nature. Nature has fallen because of sin in this world ("bondage to decay" as described in the article). Sin is in this world because creatures chose to live by their own rules rather than within the directions and instructions of the Creator. Every action has consequence. Sometimes the consequence is or seems beneficial, sometimes it is or seems detrimental. But the law of cause and effect cannot be avoided. Another way of stating this is the law of sowing and reaping - "Don't be a fool, God is not mocked. Whatever a man sows, that shall he also reap". Natural disasters, pain, anguish, suffering - these are all part of the crop that has been sown for thousands of years of human history.

The solution to this is the redemption of all creation through the gospel of Jesus - the "glorious freedom of the children of God" referred to in the Romans 8 passage referred to below.
  • autumn_1959 2011/03/15 14:42:58
    I will be .... here's why
    autumn_1959
    +3
  • DFM302 autumn_... 2011/03/15 15:26:11
    DFM302
    +1
    Does it seem to you that those who need to heed the warnings are the same ones that classify God as evil for them happening?
  • autumn_... DFM302 2011/03/15 15:30:42 (edited)
    autumn_1959
    he does that for all of us give us all warning and gets our attention one way or another
  • DFM302 autumn_... 2011/03/15 15:42:14
    DFM302
    +1
    He has mine and has had it for a long time. I'm not perfect and need a reminder sometimes. However, many of the others who need it don't seem to listen to it.
  • autumn_... DFM302 2011/03/15 15:44:33
    autumn_1959
    nope they sure dont and that is going to be thei undoing their own down fall when you dont listen to what God is saying and you dont heed his warnings then you are walking on dangerous ground
  • DFM302 autumn_... 2011/03/15 15:45:32
    DFM302
    +1
    Rather than listening to God, they want to blame God.
  • autumn_... DFM302 2011/03/15 15:47:50
    autumn_1959
    yep they sure do and it,s their own fault
  • DFM302 autumn_... 2011/03/15 16:42:41
    DFM302
    +1
    Although many will still find a way to blame someone other than themselves.
  • autumn_... DFM302 2011/03/15 16:45:09
    autumn_1959
    when you have one finger pointing at you 3 are pointing back at them
  • Eddie 2011/03/15 14:40:05
    I will be ... here's why
    Eddie
    +1
    Nice and comfy in an urn or box. You can keep you evil god with his sick sense of humor.
  • autumn_... Eddie 2011/03/15 15:48:22
    autumn_1959
    name me one thing God has done that is evil just one thing

2014/10/25 08:46:49