Why does culture matter? Why should you love and respect your culture and your roots?

Shawna 2011/06/20 18:31:42
Related Topics: Love
My culture and my roots matter because......
Culture and heritage are artificial constructs and thus....
This is way too deep for Monday!

• Albannach 2011/06/20 19:22:15 (edited)
    Albannach
    +6
    I love my country and I love it's culture. It was forged in the face of adversity, in the knowledge that it was almost eradicated many times in it's history, and yet we survived. Many have died to preserve it, It is unique and special, and I know the world would be a worse place without it.

Alba gu bràth

• Tommy 2011/06/21 16:50:33
    Tommy
    +1
    I suppose it is just the same as when the same question is personalised. If we cannot respect ourselves then how can we expect anyone else to?
  • Shawna Tommy 2011/06/21 17:37:25
    Shawna
    I agree with you, certainly. Is your culture worth fighting for or is it okay if it evolves?
  • Linkums 2011/06/21 02:21:12
    Linkums
    +1
    I don't know and I've wondered this. I can't think of a reason why they matter, but that doesn't mean there isn't a reason.
  • Shawna Linkums 2011/06/21 02:29:46
    Shawna
    +1
    Maybe they matter because we make them matter. I mean, many things don't have inherent value. Value exists where we put it.
  • Linkums Shawna 2011/06/21 04:01:55
    Linkums
    +1
    Yeah, that's a good point. I realized that about other things but didn't think about it in relation to this question... it's one of the big conundrums with my existential depression. There's really no value or meaning to anything except when people convince themselves that there is. And lying to yourself about value doesn't really count as value to me.
  • Shawna Linkums 2011/06/21 04:11:04
    Shawna
    +2
    And yet I see it as a really wonderful thing that we have that opportunity to put value on things such as compassion for other living beings. I am here. Inside this corporeal body there is some sort of essence that has a self identity. I look for purpose and reason in the world. Why am I here? Well, as I don't find faith in any religions I don't find a why answer. What I do find is an answer to what should I do with my time here. The answer to that is that I should do my best to have compassion for other living beings. That I should make an effort to contribute to their happiness because I know they are all so much more like me than not and that leads me to know that they want happiness just as I do. Amazingly, happiness is contagious. The more you give the more you get, just like love. And if you are afraid to love you can start in the most likely to be successful places. Dogs. Dogs will love you easily and abundantly. So find a way to give compassion and love to dogs. You will be rewarded. Move on to people and volunteer in a food bank or soup kitchen, or try children. Sick children in hospital or wish fulfilling programmes for terminally ill children. Is it sad? Yes, but they don't need you to be sad. They need you to bring them happiness in the time they have left. So do it. I am not so certain of anything like I am certain that giving love and compassion to others will fill your heart like you cannot imagine. And there you will find purpose.
  • Stormy Shawna 2011/06/21 04:18:04
    Stormy
    +1
    Wow! You really like to kick-off your week with some DEEP thinking!!
  • Shawna Stormy 2011/06/21 04:29:08
    Shawna
    +1
    Actually I am this nerdy all week.
  • BLT ^MOTOOP^ 2011/06/20 22:43:52
    BLT ^MOTOOP^
    +2
    Personally, "my culture" doesn't really mean very much to me... I like fish and chips and watch Doctor Who....does that count for anything? lol.
  • Shawna BLT ^MO... 2011/06/20 23:18:04
    Shawna
    +1
    If it makes you happy it does.
  • BLT ^MO... Shawna 2011/06/20 23:40:00
    BLT ^MOTOOP^
    +1
    You make me happy, my dear <3
  • Shawna BLT ^MO... 2011/06/21 00:46:23
    Shawna
    +1
    Awwwww You are a sweetheart. I'm sorry I'm not a really hot guy. LOL
  • BLT ^MO... Shawna 2011/06/21 17:13:40
    BLT ^MOTOOP^
    +1
    *sigh* the universe might explode.
  • Lulu's Mom 2011/06/20 22:31:36
    Lulu's Mom
    +1
    I love my culture and my roots. I am very proud of them.
  • JCD aka "biz" 2011/06/20 22:12:08
    JCD aka "biz"
    +2
    1) I respect cultures, not just my culture
    2) I'm not a vegetable, I don't have roots.
  • Hobbitt / Oldsquid 2011/06/20 21:54:32
    Hobbitt / Oldsquid
    +1
    It is where you come from...
  • FencerCat 2011/06/20 21:49:54
    FencerCat
    +1
    I'm of Irish and Scottish descent. I enjoy learning about my heritage. It makes visiting the countries of my ancestors more interesting. (and explains why I'd rather live there than here.)
  • Shawna FencerCat 2011/06/20 23:18:55
    Shawna
    +2
    The grass is always greener on the Emerald Isle.
  • FencerCat Shawna 2011/06/21 20:43:43
    FencerCat
    +1
    Indeed! And they can tell I'm of Irish descent. I don't know how... I have dark hair, light eyes and pale skin. One woman, the first time I was there and traveling with a friend said of us, "Ah you can always tell Americans. They're always neat as a pin." Then she turned to me and said, "And you're Irish." I wondered if I was, perhaps, not as neat as a pin. lol
  • Shawna FencerCat 2011/06/21 20:55:41
    Shawna
    +1
    LOL-that's funny how people perceive others. Dark hair and fair skin sounds quite Irish to me. They aren't all red heads! Not everyone thinks Americans are as neat as a pin either-lol. A friend of mine traveling in Europe said she was ashamed of North Americans (herself included) because they were so much sloppier than Europeans. Maybe our pre conceived notions colour what we see.
  • FencerCat Shawna 2011/06/22 01:45:35
    FencerCat
    +1
    Well, I didn't feel we were neat as a pin. We were wet, wrinkled and in need of showers, our hair was... well, you know how hair gets when you've been in and out of several rain showers... I suspected she was either being very tactful or blind as a bat. I think Americans are usually the most casually dressed, which is not always the most appropriate.
  • Shawna FencerCat 2011/06/22 04:42:51
    Shawna
    +1
    Yes the casual dressing was what my friend noticed-jeans or even sweat pants whereas the European women looked a bit more like they'd just stepped out of Vogue. Paris Vogue.
  • FencerCat Shawna 2011/06/22 21:25:26
    FencerCat
    +1
    To me sweats are only for in the house or at the gym in winter. I do wear sweatshirts sometimes...but not usually when I'm traveling in Europe. The funny thing was, one year I went to this rather posh place in Wales for Christmas. It was a three-day thing. I made arrangements to get there on the 23rd. Since it wasn't part of the holiday package, I didn't know there was any sort of dress code for dinner. I came down to dinner in jeans, and felt really embarrassed. The waitress asked if something was wrong (I guess it showed) and I told her I didn't realize I was supposed to dress for dinner, and she was very nonchalant about it. She told me not to worry, it wasn't necessary, and so on. She was so nice. But believe me, I made sure I dressed nicely even for breakfast. lol
  • Shawna FencerCat 2011/06/23 00:15:57
    Shawna
    +1
    If people are truly upper class (manners and not just money) they do their utmost to make others feel comfortable.
  • FencerCat Shawna 2011/06/23 19:42:29
    FencerCat
    +1
    I've discovered that. Most of the people who were there were upper class. I was truly out of my league. But they seemed interested in the foreigner. They didn't really care whether or not I was well off. Actually, those who talked with me and asked about my trip were amazed that I did everything from my airline tickets, to train reservations, car rental, driving directions and B&B reservations all online.
  • Shawna FencerCat 2011/06/23 20:22:34
    Shawna
    +1
    It is amazing that it can all be done on-line!
  • FencerCat Shawna 2011/06/23 20:34:22
    FencerCat
    +1
    It did help that I knew what the road services in the UK were, but I probably could have had the directions from Google, too. But still, if I could do all of that, anyone can. My husband (who's an IT guy) calls me his travel agent since I know where to look for good deals and such.
  • Shawna FencerCat 2011/06/23 20:37:15
    Shawna
    +1
    LOL- a travel agent and an IT guy in one home! It sounds very useful. May I come and live with you?
  • FencerCat Shawna 2011/06/23 20:39:23
    FencerCat
    +1
    Sure. And if you ever need info on travel, let me know (I'm not really a travel agent, you know. lol)
  • Shawna FencerCat 2011/06/23 20:41:42
    Shawna
    +1
    LOL-I get that you aren't really. I'm not really a grammar cop.
  • FencerCat Shawna 2011/06/23 20:45:39
  • Shawna FencerCat 2011/06/23 20:48:17
    Shawna
    +1
    or at least I'm not on the payroll.
  • FencerCat Shawna 2011/06/27 02:35:25
    FencerCat
    +1
    lol. Me either!
  • ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2011/06/20 21:44:19
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +2
    ......it makes my family feel that I won't forget them or where they came from once they're gone. I know it was important to my Grampie Jack and, just as he'd hoped, I've related all that he related to me to my children. I sure miss that man!
  • Shawna ♚Littlɘ... 2011/06/20 23:19:34
    Shawna
    +1
    I miss my grandmother very much too, even though it is impossible that she would still be here.
  • ♚Littlɘ... Shawna 2011/06/21 01:16:13
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +1
    Time goes by so quickly. Quick, relish the moment!
  • Chaya2010 2011/06/20 21:03:35
    Chaya2010
    +1
    I think ones roots and culture matter especially when dealing with cultural relativists. There are some that are objectively and measurably better and others worse. It doesn't follow they shouldn't be studied or appreciated for what they are.
  • Shawna Chaya2010 2011/06/20 23:19:59
    Shawna
    +1
    Thank you for your thoughtful response!
    +2
    I feel very connected to my Native American roots! I SO second Nam Vet!!!!
  • Shawna Lady Wh... 2011/06/20 20:09:24
    Shawna
    +1
    And I hope that you are able to take the positives that are strength giving and move forward with them!

2014/07/24 02:21:52