Why do we still have Racist Hatred and Discrimination in the USA

BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/05/19 13:52:44
Yes, I am a Racist!
No, I'm not a Racist

acial Prejudice – What Is It?
Racial prejudice is an insidious moral and social disease affecting peoples and populations all over the world. It is diagnosed by the cataloguing of its various symptoms and manifestations which include fear, intolerance, separation, segregation, discrimination, and hatred. While all of these symptoms of racial prejudice may be manifest, the single underlying cause of racial prejudice is ignorance. Historically, a race of people is defined as a population with distinguishable biological features.

While all humans belong to the same species, Homo sapiens, races are distinguished from one another by such characteristics as hair color and texture, skin color, eye color and shape, size of limb and body parts, and facial organs. Though scientists have reached the conclusion that these differences amongst peoples are superficial and have further agreed that all members of the species Homo sapiens have more characteristics in common than different, mankind itself continues to view each other from the features that are outwardly perceived.

Indeed, humans are outwardly different in appearance; the problem arises when the symptoms of the disease become evident: intolerance, separation, and hatred. In a positive vein, one may embrace the differences of peoples across the face of the earth and marvel at the uniqueness of individuals who live on a different part of the globe or across the street. Racial prejudice perverts this uniqueness of the races and takes the view that these differences separate individuals further into groups, with one group being inferior to the other.

Racial Prejudice – Do We All Have It?
Racial prejudice affects everyone. Inasmuch as racial prejudice manifests itself in that people are “pre-judged” based on superficial characteristics, we must honestly conclude that all people “suffer” from this on various levels. When we don’t know an individual well, we consciously or unconsciously begin to characterize him or her based on what we see. Again, this is due to our ignorance of the person’s real character and personality. We will form opinions, often based along stereotypical lines: “all people of such and such race are. . .” We can fill in the blanks with such expectations that certain races are intellectually superior, others are full of avarice, another is more artistically or athletically inclined, still another has members who are apt to be dishonest, etc, etc. . . These ideas have been formed from society, media, and our own upbringing.

Maybe these ideas have been taught directly or indirectly, acted out by one’s parents. Whatever the source, even the most enlightened member of a society will find that to some extent, he or she is judging another based on the superficial aspects of race.

Racial Prejudice – What Are Its Implications For Society?
Racial prejudice has shaped the form of our present day societies; indeed, prejudice has shaped societies since time began. As far back as the children of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob living in the land of Goshen, peoples have been subjugated due to their differences. Beyond all of the spiritual implications of the nation of Israel living in Egypt, it is evident that the Egyptians feared the Israelites. Wherever there are differences, there is fear, intolerance, and injustice.

From Hitler and the Nazis to the Southern American slave owners, prejudice of one race against another has resulted in atrocities. To counteract the disease of racial prejudice, modern-day societies have drafted and enacted legislation to ensure that people “treat” each other with respect and dignity allowing one another their inalienable right to their pursuit of life and liberty. While man’s actions can be legislated, their hearts and fears cannot. Thus, society continues to suffer from the disease. Forums, coalitions, and initiatives continue to be formed to foster unity, understanding, and tolerance.

The best answer may be found in the Bible: “Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:37-40).

Acts 17:26 says, "He made from one blood every nation..."

• Shirley 2012/05/19 19:41:25
    +1
    You've Got To Be Carefully Taught from South Pacific + Children Will Listen from Into the Woods.

• Scott 2012/05/19 17:53:01
    No, I'm not a Racist
    Scott
    Treat others how you yourself would like to be treated.
  • Rainon 2012/05/19 15:45:17
    No, I'm not a Racist
    Rainon
    I love all people no matter color, culture, background etc. Hell my girlfriend is white.
  • Brother Bo 2012/05/19 14:29:10 (edited)
    Brother Bo
    +2
    We still have racism in America because it makes some people a lot of money to keep it alive...

race card race card race card race card

I'm just sayin'
  • BIG BAD... Brother Bo 2012/05/19 16:57:47
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    Never thought of it that way, very good point a million dollars
  • cate 2012/05/19 14:22:49
    cate
    There is an age old question that has yet to be answered. Why racism? Why bigotry? Is this based in culture, gender, religion? Or is it just mankind's deep seated need to feel superior to one or the other? When you find an answer, would you please let me know?
  • BIG BAD... cate 2012/05/19 17:01:36
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +1
    I sure will,
  • Joe61 2012/05/19 14:19:13 (edited)
    No, I'm not a Racist
    Joe61
    +2
    It is not just in the USA it is endemic the globe over. Humans are territorial animals, politicians make decision not based on what is in the best interests of the population. But on personal adjustments that will provide them with political gain. I am referring here to open door immigration.
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/05/19 14:06:15
    No, I'm not a Racist
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +2
    Tell you a story, and if it wasn't for this Fine Black Lady, I would not be here today because she was our Maid, Nanny, and she managed the house, She did it all! Her name was Rebecca and I loved her because she made sure I had food, clean close, and she was my friend.

One day we sit down on the front porch and She said, "One day you will hate me!"
    I look at her with a puzzled look on my face and asked her "Why would you said that?"
    She looked down into my eyes and replied, " Because I'm Black!"
    I was only four or 5 at the time, I looked up into her eyes and said, "What does that have to do with hating you"
    She went on to explained to me about what was going on in this world, This was in the early 50s.
    After she was done, i said, " I will never judge a person by the co;or of their skin but only by their actions." Big Black woman
    +1
    humans have choices
  • Evil 1 Sister ... 2012/05/19 14:42:57
    Evil 1
    +1
    Very profound, precise and truthful statement Sister Jean. Too bad there are so many within society that use racism to overshawdow this truth for their own monetary gain or political advancement.

2014/10/31 08:01:48