Why do we sometimes get wrapped up with certain people on here taking issue with us?

Jack's Pearl 2012/05/07 13:52:54
Most of the time I just ignore people who are behaving rudely on here. But there are rare times I find I end up arguing with such individuals. Why? I know it's not personal, because people who attack others on here don't actually know who you are. They are just taking things in a negative way, when many times the intention of the other person isn't even negative. We aren't going to like all opinions we read, but expressing those opinions is hardly a personal attack on anyone.

Anyway, my real point for this post is to say that we can all take things hard sometimes on here and it isn't something to feel bad about later on. I also thought if anyone has some insight to share on this topic, I would love to hear it.

Hope everyone is having a great Monday! And has a great upcoming week! :)

• Bibliophilic 2012/05/07 14:53:18
    Bibliophilic
    +3
    I hate to say it, but most of the time people who are rude themselves receive rude comments (excepting trolls and general bigots of course). If I were to post something mean I'd expect to receive a similar response.

• cate 2012/05/09 19:24:29
  • Pat 2012/05/09 04:36:49
    +1
    Some people live to take issue with others. All they know is conflict. It bothered me on SH at first but now, once the name calling starts I walk away. What I really hate is when I've written an opinion on something and for some reason they come back at me almost like they didn't read my comment or, if they did, they totally didn't get my meaning at all. If they don't get it, I try to explain it one more time. If that doesn't work I figure they either just will never get it or they don't want to get it and I walk away. It bothered me at first but not anymore. You're never going to get everyone on board with you so don't let it get to you.
  • Jack's ... Pat 2012/05/09 19:19:31
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    Wow! I think we must have dealt with some of the same members. Sounds similar to my experience on here. I've learned like no place else, on SH, that what some stranger says has no effect on my life. So I for the most part just ignore it too. If they are very abusive and stalker types, I block them. Don't need it in my life. :)
  • Pat Jack's ... 2012/05/09 20:36:06
    +1
    I haven't blocked anyone yet but I one in mind that is being a real pain. I may have to block him. We'll see. Thanks!
  • Jack's ... Pat 2012/05/09 23:09:02
    Jack's Pearl
    What I've learned is that if you have that gut feeling about some, just do it. It's not that serious anyway. So you block someone...who cares? :)
  • Jerry 2012/05/07 22:35:29
    Jerry
    +1
    I think lively discussion within posts is fine, when it comes to slander and ridicule, that is what I take exception to, " I do prefer to post to my Soda Head Friends, not to everyone, if they have a brain, and a sensible point to make on the return post, I will listen, but My ears are not garbage cans " any vulgarity in return posts, is not worthy to respond to.....
  • Christmas; In Chrome 2012/05/07 22:20:04
    Christmas; In Chrome
    +2
    Okay, now I'm pissed. Naw! I agree! HAHAHAHA
  • Jack's ... Christm... 2012/05/09 23:08:25
    Jack's Pearl
    Phew! Don't want to piss anyone off. :) Not my intention.
  • Christm... Jack's ... 2012/05/10 15:45:57
  • L1 2012/05/07 14:54:06
    L1
    +1
    One, it's because the anonymity of the internet allows people to vent without serious repercussion; they don't really have to worry about being responsible for what they write.
    Two, it's just too easy to post things that are rude. Three, actually not trying to read negative intent in other people's written words takes work, and not everyone is willing to do that. Four, the absence of body language and actual live interaction can really make it hard to know the intent behind written words, and that being the case,then negative intent shouldn't be assumed unless completely blatant.
    My IMHO.
  • Jack's ... L1 2012/05/07 16:46:28
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    I agree 100%. Thank you for such a thoughtful reply.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/05/07 14:53:18
    Bibliophilic
    +3
  • Jack's ... Bibliop... 2012/05/07 16:47:37
    Jack's Pearl
    But so often that isn't the case.
  • rand 2012/05/07 14:40:46
    rand
    +2
    Egotism and the need to believe we know the truth. According to Voltaire, Proust, and Gide we need to be wary of those to claim to know the truth and hold in high regard those who seek it. I find Sodahead much more enjoyable since I began blocking those who resort to profanity and/or try to be insulting.
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/05/07 14:00:52
    **StarzAbove**
    +3
    I will sometimes post to rude people a couple of times and then just ignore their comments. I don't waste my time with negative people anymore.
  • Jack's ... **Starz... 2012/05/07 14:01:39
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    I agree. And SH is a pretty good place to learn this, unfortunately.
  • **Starz... Jack's ... 2012/05/07 14:02:54
    **StarzAbove**
    +1
    It sure is.
  • CCRNRT 2012/05/07 13:58:12
    CCRNRT
    +2
    I try to ignore what I may think is negative and do my best to turn it to a positive. I have no real true friends on here, but a lot of great acquaintances, I try to understand where they are coming from but never lose site of where I am comeing from or where I am.
  • Jack's ... CCRNRT 2012/05/07 14:00:40
    Jack's Pearl
    Great points!
  • Stoney 2012/05/07 13:57:18
    Stoney
    +1
    Good points you bring up.....I try generally to ignore the rude ones. It's the ones who want to try bullying me that I go back against. If they get to way out of hand, I don't hesitate to block them & forget them- they are a small minority, but they do exist.
  • Jack's ... Stoney 2012/05/07 14:00:33
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    I agree there. There are a select few who are just too negative and don't want to stop. I just choose not to stay involved in any way with people like that.
  • Stoney Jack's ... 2012/05/07 14:12:15
    Stoney
    +1
    Yes indeed...I'm with you on that!
  • Jack's ... Stoney 2012/05/07 14:17:28
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    This is a big reason why I do not get involved with people who treat others really badly. They can treat me like gold, but if they have the mentality to be cruel to others...well, I care about that too. And I don't think anyone deserves to be treated badly. If they aren't good to be around, move on. But don't feed into the negativity.
  • Stoney Jack's ... 2012/05/07 15:20:04
    Stoney
    :-) namaste
    +1
    bother me I bring on my blocks problem solved for both
  • Jack's ... Sister ... 2012/05/07 14:00:57
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    Sometimes, sadly, that's all we can do.
  • Sister ... Jack's ... 2012/05/07 14:55:57
    agree

2014/11/25 01:38:16