Why do some people say that Catholics are not Christian?

Bronx at Night 2010/04/22 14:23:16
Catholics are NOT Christian
Catholics ARE Christian
I’ve heard some people say, “I’m Christian, not Catholic,” as if Catholics are not Christian.

This is what I think:

Any church that follows or tries to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ in ANY form is Christian. “Christian” is just a generic umbrella term for the followers of Christ or Christian tradition.

It doesn’t matter if a church is Methodist, Mennonite, Amish, Coptic, Roman Catholic, Latin Rite Catholic, Lutheran, Protestant, Anglican, Calvinist, Presbyterian, Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Mormon, Jehovah’s Witness, Seventh Day Adventist, Quaker, Baptist, Pentecostal, Evangelical… WHATEVER… they’re all Christian.

Besides, why would Christians fight among themselves like that?

What do you think? Are Catholics not Christian?

adventist quaker baptist pentecostal evangelical christian christians fight catholics christian

• Catholics ARE Christian
    R.P. Bliss.::ρнαɛт::.►Ѳиɛ Ħιт Яαɢɛ Ǫʋιт◄
    +8
    That's something that always confused me. Catholics were the first type of Christians. They have the same ideas, same beliefs, follow the same holidays. They follow Christ, and if that doesn't make them Christian, then I don't know what does.

• Auntie ... intoler... 2010/04/22 16:13:48
    Auntie J "GOD IS LOVE"-1John 4:15
    +1
    I have several Jewish friends here, and have had some all of my life. Never have I met one who was Jewish. Jews do not believe in Jesus as the Son of God or as the Messiah. They are still waiting for him. They accept only the Old Testament of the Bible. Their belief in the Bible ends with the Birth of Christ.

-----------------------------...

JEWISH PUBLICATION
    SOCIETY BIBLE

THE ORDER OF THE BOOKS
    OF THE HOLY SCRIPTURES

Torah - The Law
    Bereshit - Genesis
    Shemot - Exodus
    VaYikra - Leviticus
    BaMidbar - Numbers
    Devarim - Deuteronomy
    Neviim - The Prophets
    Yehoshua - Joshua
    Shoftim - Judges
    Shmuel A - 1 Samuel
    Shmuel B - 2 Samuel
    Melachim A - 1 Kings
    Melachim B - 2 Kings
    Yisheyah - Isaiah
    Yermiyah - Jeremiah
    Yechezchial - Ezekiel
    Treisar - The Minor Prophets
    Hoshea - Hosea
    Yoel - Joel
    Amos - Amos
    Ovadiyah - Obadiah
    Yonah - Jonah
    Michah - Micah
    Nachum - Nahum
    Chabakuk - Habakkuk
    Tzefaniyah - Zephaniah
    Chaggi - Haggai
    Zechariyah - Zechariah
    Malachi - Malachi
    Ketuvim - The Writings
    Tehilim - Psalms
    Mishlei - Proverbs
    Eyov - Job
    Megilot
    Shir HaShirim - Song of Songs
    Ruth - Ruth
    Eichah - Lamentations
    Keholet - Ecclesiastes
    Esther - Esther
    Daniyel - Daniel
    Ezra - Ezra
    Nechemiyah - Nehemiah
    Divrei Yamim A - 1 Chronicles
    Divrei Yamim B - ...

-----------------------------...

JEWISH PUBLICATION
    SOCIETY BIBLE

THE ORDER OF THE BOOKS
    OF THE HOLY SCRIPTURES

Torah - The Law
    Bereshit - Genesis
    Shemot - Exodus
    VaYikra - Leviticus
    BaMidbar - Numbers
    Devarim - Deuteronomy
    Neviim - The Prophets
    Yehoshua - Joshua
    Shoftim - Judges
    Shmuel A - 1 Samuel
    Shmuel B - 2 Samuel
    Melachim A - 1 Kings
    Melachim B - 2 Kings
    Yisheyah - Isaiah
    Yermiyah - Jeremiah
    Yechezchial - Ezekiel
    Treisar - The Minor Prophets
    Hoshea - Hosea
    Yoel - Joel
    Amos - Amos
    Ovadiyah - Obadiah
    Yonah - Jonah
    Michah - Micah
    Nachum - Nahum
    Chabakuk - Habakkuk
    Tzefaniyah - Zephaniah
    Chaggi - Haggai
    Zechariyah - Zechariah
    Malachi - Malachi
    Ketuvim - The Writings
    Tehilim - Psalms
    Mishlei - Proverbs
    Eyov - Job
    Megilot
    Shir HaShirim - Song of Songs
    Ruth - Ruth
    Eichah - Lamentations
    Keholet - Ecclesiastes
    Esther - Esther
    Daniyel - Daniel
    Ezra - Ezra
    Nechemiyah - Nehemiah
    Divrei Yamim A - 1 Chronicles
    Divrei Yamim B - 2 Chronicles
  • intoler... Auntie ... 2010/04/22 16:22:12
    intolerantrwj
    Okay
  • Redneck intoler... 2010/04/23 04:45:00
    Redneck
    +2
    I know my grand mother would have disagreed. Born German Jew Died Oklahoma Messianic Jew.
  • intoler... Redneck 2010/04/23 05:40:03
    intolerantrwj
    Jon,

I never even heard of " Messianic Jew " until you mentioned it .... see what you make of this .. http://www.allaboutreligion.o...

I'm runnin' on empty right now buddy ... too many pain-killers today and I'm falling over the keyboard ... I'll tell you about the details one day.
  • Willy Auntie ... 2010/04/22 16:10:14
    Willy
    +1
    There are Messianic Jews. These accept that Christ was the Messiah. They are Christians. The early church was primarily made up of Jews. Paul was the Apostle who took Christ's message to the rest of the world. It was through Paul's work that the gentiles like us were brought the Good News of Gospel of Christ. It was over 300 years after Christ that the Catholic Church was organized under the Roman Empire who formerly pursecuted Christians. This was done out of a need to bring unity to the empire rather than to promote religion.
  • Auntie ... Willy 2010/04/22 16:16:09
    Auntie J "GOD IS LOVE"-1John 4:15
    I am totally aware and knowledgable regarding the origins of the Catholic Church. However, the Jewish Faith does not recognize Messianic Jews, a/k/a Jews for Jesus. They are no longer practicing Jews and not consider part of the Jewish community.
  • Willy Auntie ... 2010/04/22 16:43:05
    Willy
    +1
    Technically, they are Jews by birth and now moved forward in faith rather than being stuck in the past by tradition. Christians are adopted jews because they have accepted the Messiah. Paul wrote about this many times in the New Testement.
    The Messianic Jews do practice many of the same traditions of the Orthedox Jews yet worship Christ as Messiah. I've attended their services several times. Great people!
  • Auntie ... Willy 2010/04/22 16:46:00
    Auntie J "GOD IS LOVE"-1John 4:15
    I'm sure they are great people. However, when it comes to religious practices they are of "betwext and between" - neither fully Christians nor fully Jewish.
  • Redneck Auntie ... 2010/04/23 04:49:07
    Redneck
    +1
    Not fully Christian? If they believe that Jesus is the Son of God, died on the cross, resurrected, ascended, and will return to set up his kingdom, then they are full fledged Christians and ethnic Jews. Christianity is nothing more than Judaism that believes the messiah has already come.
  • Willy Auntie ... 2010/04/23 23:40:14
    Willy
    They worship the same risen Savour, Jesus Christ as we Christians do! What's not Christian about that? Christians are the ones adopted or grafted into the true vine. Jews who accept Christ are already part of the vine and now complete in Christ! Praise God!
  • Redneck Auntie ... 2010/04/23 04:46:42
    Redneck
    +1
    Well many Catholics don't recognize Protestants as true Christians, but we are none the less.
  • Redneck R.P. Bl... 2010/04/23 04:38:33
    Redneck
    +2
    Jews were the first Christians. Eventually, followers of Christ refereed to their order as "The Way". Christianity was called Christianity until well after Paul had started his missionary work. Catholicism didn't come about until Constantine converted around 300AD. Thats a long time after Jesus ascended.
  • Mrs. V 2010/04/22 14:53:24
    Other
    Mrs. V
    +4
    Here is what I believe about that.

The only thing that separates a Christian from a non Christian is Belief that apart from Jesus Christ there is no Salvation. A Christian knows and believes that Jesus Christ is God incarnate, died for the sins of mankind, and rose from the dead. A Christian believes that they are a sinner saved by the grace of God through Jesus Christ, apart from "works".

Now, I will say this, there are people, inside the church (any church) and out, who do not believe any of the tenants of Christianity. I think the problem people have with Catholicism is that they are heavy on the works, teaching that by being good will take you to heaven. Not to mention the heavy-handedness and secrecy of the clergy.

Speaking of man, God Says, "There is none righteous, no not one. " Romans 3:10-18

That said. For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in HIM shall not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16
  • Headhun... Mrs. V 2010/04/22 15:05:38
    Headhunter 13
    totally clueless as to the reality and history of christianity. Perfect example of American Fundamentalism in all it's arrogant ignorance. Quotes the NT that was written and assembled by the Catholic Church and yet denies the rest
  • Mrs. V Headhun... 2010/04/22 21:55:37
    Mrs. V
    +1
    Truth is truth is truth.

Did you have a bad childhood? Why are you so bitter and why don't you go pester someone else. You have no power here.
  • Headhun... Mrs. V 2010/04/22 22:02:01
    Headhunter 13
    LOL. You wouldn't know truth if it bit you in the ass. As for my childhood it was great even the years I spent being educated by Jesuits and nuns. They taught me something you never learned. To think and question.
  • Cloudburst Mrs. V 2010/04/22 15:46:40
    Cloudburst
    Now...here's the twister...there are Christians out their that believe in the teachings of Christ but do not believe in the LITERAL resurrection, 'son of god' complex, etc...These people are Christians, too, because they follow the tenets of Jesus - possibly more so than most Christians!!!!
  • Mrs. V Cloudburst 2010/04/22 21:50:37
    Mrs. V
    +1
    You can believe in whatever mishmosh self religion you want, it won't affect me.
    But you don't know what you are talking about.

Faith produces "good works". Not the other way around. God accepts us where we are, He doesn't make us change to be acceptable to HIM. HE CHANGES us from the inside out when we believe.

HE and HE ALONE will get the glory.
  • Cloudburst Mrs. V 2010/04/23 15:26:49 (edited)
    Cloudburst
    OR...SHE ALONE...or IT ALONE...just know that God has no limits in gender, human perception or love. There is no 'glory'...there is no 'victory'...there is only LOVE and living in harmonious balance with our surroundings. How do we do that with free will?

Two rules.
    1) Conscious recognition of your Higher Power (will hopefully instill humility)
    2) Love your neighbor as yourself - therefore when you have selfworth you can spread that love to your surroundings...people and nature/environment...aka service to others. Yes, when we believe in the two basic teaching of JESUS CHRIST we can love more freely and without so many labels. This makes me a Christian.

No boxes of gender or denomination or 'true' god.
    Just because I don't believe in what you believe in doesn't mean it's mishmosh - or even self religion. Its simplicity speaks for itself.

It's funny how Christians will berate Christians for differences in beliefs. Look at the comments above and you'll find that Jews are fighting Jews for their beliefs. We don't have to do that any more when we strip all these rules and regulations and tenets required to believe in something. Those two rules give me the freedom to love you despite our differences...to love buddhists and atheists and agnostics and muslims and conservatives and liberals...
  • Mrs. V Cloudburst 2010/04/23 17:44:19
    Mrs. V
    We can't just go around inventing "free style" "religion". It is like trying to teach algebra without formulas.

I call that smorgasbord religion. It's like drinking water out of a sieve.
  • Redneck Mrs. V 2010/04/23 04:50:45
    Redneck
    +1
    well said
  • Jan-Texas 2010/04/22 14:51:02
    Catholics ARE Christian
    Jan-Texas
    +4
    Although I don't generally agree with the polirtical side of the Catholic Church, they are certainly Christians. I applaud the fact that they have not "knuckled under" to the homosexual agenda and are staunch pro-life advocates.

I am not too fond of their total acceptance, and even assistance, with illegal aliens in the USA -and- think they should "slam the door" on any further child molestation by their ordained clergy.
  • intoler... Jan-Texas 2010/04/22 15:08:58
    intolerantrwj
    +2
    ..... nothing unreasonable about that J T.
  • Jan-Texas intoler... 2010/04/22 15:14:33
    Jan-Texas
    Thanks much. An uprave for you !!
  • Auntie ... Jan-Texas 2010/04/22 15:29:50
    Auntie J "GOD IS LOVE"-1John 4:15
    I, as a life-long Catholic do believe they are trying very hard to get a handle on the child-molestation issues.
  • Jan-Texas Auntie ... 2010/04/22 19:58:00
    Jan-Texas
    +1
    I'm sure they're doing their best. They've been hurt as of late by the media, but the Pope seems like a good man and will hopefully reign in these priests that shouldn't even be wearing the collar.
  • Auntie ... Jan-Texas 2010/04/22 23:28:25
    Auntie J "GOD IS LOVE"-1John 4:15
    +1
    i agree. i doubt very much if there is ONE organized group in the world that doesn't have it own share of scandals in one form or another.
  • Jan-Texas Auntie ... 2010/04/22 23:53:27
    Jan-Texas
    +1
    That's a very good point, and I suspect you're absolutely right !!
  • kmay Jan-Texas 2010/04/22 15:59:09
    kmay
    Do not confuse the Humanity of the Catholic Church with the Divinity of the Catholic Faith.
  • Jan-Texas kmay 2010/04/22 20:02:24
    Jan-Texas
    I understand and hope I didn't "come across" as judging them too harshly, as that was not my intention. I have a lot of respect for any Christian sect that will stand up to abortionists and homosexuals. Although I simply can't embrace some of their doctrine, I have a very very positive opinion of the Mormon church as of late.
  • kmay Jan-Texas 2010/04/24 20:29:30
    kmay
    +1
    Understood. Check out the Mormons but also check out ' 7 Secrets of the Eucharist' by Vinny Flynn before you decide. God Bless.
  • Jan-Texas kmay 2010/04/25 13:40:48
    Jan-Texas
    +1
    Will do. Thank you for the reference.
  • LEAHCIM368~POTL~RWAC... 2010/04/22 14:45:34
    Catholics ARE Christian
    LEAHCIM368~POTL~RWAC...
    +4
    Catholics are Christians period...To be a Christian, all one must do is believe in JESUS CHRIST as your lord and Savior...Which Catholics do!!

I believe this comes from the fact the Catholicism is very old and there is a stigma attached to it. As with any thing that man touches there will be evil from time to time..There were some very evil Catholics and popes.

As for my own experience, I am a baptist, however I quit going to the church I was baptized in about 4yrs ago. This was do to the fact they many in the congregation spent more time demonizing Catholics than worshiping GOD. I found it very hypocritical!!
  • intoler... LEAHCIM... 2010/04/22 15:13:12
    intolerantrwj
    +2
    I commend you for your approach and as long as you don't let a bad experience sway your life + outlook you're probably better off for making the decision to leave ... perhaps you'll stumble upon a Pastor with a different posture.
  • amazinggrace 2010/04/22 14:44:24
    Catholics ARE Christian
    amazinggrace
    +5
    Read the Apostles Creed, the Catholics believe the tennents of the Christian faith therefore they are Christian.
  • Headhun... amazing... 2010/04/22 15:06:35
    Headhunter 13
    They invented the tenants and the books
    Catholics ARE Christian
    +4
    of course and IF they are talking about behavior that's for God to judge
  • amazing... Sister ... 2010/04/22 14:47:11
    amazinggrace
    +2
    Amen Sister.
  • Sister ... amazing... 2010/04/22 14:47:50
    +1
    Amen Alleluia
  • Autarchic 2010/04/22 14:40:51
    Other
    Autarchic
    +2
    No matter which church people go to, if they are not Christ like, they are not Christians.

2014/11/24 14:09:16