Why Do Some Baptist Denominations Think That Only Believers Who Are "Baptist" Go To Heaven?

thepastord 2012/03/09 02:45:39
It is true and this is why _____________.
I have often wondered the same thing, pastord............
Key word, some, not all..............
Seems crazy to me, only Baptist folks in heaven...
First off, let me say, I am not asking this question to "OFFEND" anyone............ I have encountered more and more of this thinking over the years, and many folks have sought my counsel over concern of this topic. Having a masters in Bible and Theology, and being a non-denominational pastor for over 20 years, I have never come across any "Biblical Scriptural" verse that could validate this view. Usually when folks approach me about this issue, I remind them, this is not the case in *ALL* Baptist churches, although it does seem to be on the increase.........

If you are a follower of the Baptist denomination, and adhere to this doctrine, could you please share your thoughts on "Why" you feel it would be accurate for a claim of preference by God.

• jimrthy BN-0 2012/03/09 03:10:55
    Key word, some, not all..............
    jimrthy BN-0
    +3
    I'm no longer a Baptist (by *any* stretch of the imagination), but I grew up as a Freewill.

My parents were nervous about letting me attend services held by other sects. Like my cousins who were Methodists. Or that Pentecostal I dated in high school. Edgy, steamy stuff there.

It wasn't just non-Baptists. We believed that all those idiot Baptists who were stupid enough to believe in the "once saved always saved" and smokers and people who admired women in bikinis (etc etc) were also going to spend Eternity in burning torment.

There was almost a gleeful quality to this.

For years after my apostasy, I believed it was...I'm not sure of the word. There seemed to be an attitude of "Sure, they're having fun now, but you just *wait*!" I get this same sort of attitude from quite a few Christians on here.

I think it's more fundamental (pun not intended) and deeper than that, though. If you can get people to identify themselves as part of a group, and everyone else as an enemy, you've effectively brainwashed them. Bring the group conflict up, and all the higher brain functions just stop.

This is an *extremely* fundamental fact about human culture. It's a vitally important thing to keep in mind. Think about all the dichotomies that permeate our society. It's a key technique used by ...

This is an *extremely* fundamental fact about human culture. It's a vitally important thing to keep in mind. Think about all the dichotomies that permeate our society. It's a key technique used by cultists, the military, politicians, marketing departments...pretty much *anywhere* you can find two groups.

Even if the "them" doesn't realize they've been identified. The Navy dislikes the Coast Guard. But not as much as it despises the Army. The Marines are even worse. The Air Force is pretty neutral, though there was the unspoken agreement that they're a bunch of sissies. Any sort of service trumps civilians. And foreigners are on the bottom of the totem pole.

That's just the way the culture works. It took me years to recognize it. We naturally identify with other people who identify themselves as part of the same group.

Most civilians who've never served probably don't even recognize the prejudice against them.

This quality is important for group cohesiveness, and it generally isn't harmful. But it can grow into horrible prejudices or mass cult killings.

I don't think many people realize how pervasive and dangerous it is.

• seathanaich 2012/03/09 23:13:35
    seathanaich
    +1
    This is the logical extension of the "us and them" thinking that grows out of afterlife promises.

You start with the entire tribe/religion goint to "heaven". Then people argue about orthodoxy, excluding those they disagree with. Taken to it's absurd conclusion, you end up with just yourself going, and those who agree with you on every detail. Cheers.
  • Fran-Halen 2012/03/09 05:20:19
    Fran-Halen
    +1
    Which is the "correct" denomination? The one that will get it's followers into heaven?
  • Arizona1950 2012/03/09 03:44:55
    Arizona1950
    +1
    Mormons think only Mormons go to heaven
    Catholics think only Catholics
    Muslims think only Muslims
    7th Day think only 7th Day ....

the list goes on.
  • NPC 2012/03/09 03:14:19
    NPC
    +1
    They ever heard from someone that came back from heaven ?
  • thepastord NPC 2012/03/09 03:23:25
    thepastord
    Guess some, think they have a guaranteed direct line........... lol
  • jimrthy BN-0 2012/03/09 03:10:55
    Key word, some, not all..............
    jimrthy BN-0
    +3

• thepastord jimrthy... 2012/03/09 03:22:08
    thepastord

Excellent Point! Definitely "No Get Out Of Hell Free Card", in my opinion........ lol Thanks for chiming in, pleasure to see comments from you!
  • Walt 2012/03/09 02:56:09 (edited)
    Walt
    +3
    It's not only Baptist churches that teach this. Other denominations teach it too, but you are correct, Baptist churches do teach it.

I have been in churches of other denominations where this was taught and while I did not vocally disagree, I made a mental note of it, telling myself not to ever take for granted what I was taught in those churches as being true.

The criteria for salvation is basic. In anything, simplicity lends strength. (When there are more moving parts, a machine is more apt to fail. The more complicated a plan is, the more probable that plan will fail... etc.) Anyone teaching concepts far from the simple foundation is leading followers off the beaten path.
  • thepastord Walt 2012/03/09 02:58:54
    thepastord
    +1
    That is how I see it..... I'm hoping a lot of folks will chime in with their thoughts and experiences...
  • I am me 2012/03/09 02:53:52
    I am me
    +1
    Wait! What? Only baptists going to heaven? I have been a member of the Baptist denomination (both southern baptist and baptist missionary) since I was 12. I have never heard this before. I know we believe that the only scriptural baptism is submersion like how John the baptist preformed on Christ, among others. But other than that, I have never heard of only baptists going to heaven. :-/
  • thepastord I am me 2012/03/09 03:09:37
    thepastord
    I have run into it a lot. Very common with Southern Baptist. We had a big uproar at a christian school in our area that was affiliated with a Baptist church. Seems that the teachers were telling the children that, and the poor little ones were going home, telling mom and dad that they were going to hell if they were not of the Baptist denomination........ Seems the church also taught and promoted that thinking...

Many of the parents removed their children from the school due to the issue. I posted this because over the years it has come up more and more. Again, this isn't the case at all "Baptist Churches", and I certainly don't want to imply that, but I do believe this can be a good learning experience for folks!

Thanks for sharing your experience! :+)
  • I am me thepastord 2012/03/09 03:13:09
    I am me
    +1
    Wow! I honestly have never heard anything so outrageous. And even as a baptist I would be questioning that. I'm pretty sure that God didn't say all those who are (insert denomination) will go to heaven. Though I have heard that baptists adhere closer to the bible than others, but even that I sometimes wonder about. :-/

2014/09/02 09:17:36