Why do people use "gay" as an insult?

MeanGene 2008/11/21 19:21:01
Because people are stupid
Because people are ignorant
Because gay is wrong, and it IS an insult
I'm not gay. I've got no problem with gay people, everyone loves lesbians, right?
Why, then, do homophobic people use the word gay to insult others? I've seen a user call someone's wife a dyke (which doesn't really make sense if she's married to a guy). I, myself have been called gay, because I respond too much, which means I "think and act like a girl."

• James 2009/04/19 01:15:57
    James
    God created sex for marriage between man and woman. And He definately will punish those who do not live accordingly. Sexual pervertion is abomination to God. Same as fornication and adultery. They all will be punished unless they turn from their wicked ways and ask God's forgiveness.
  • MeanGene James 2009/06/24 15:56:17
    MeanGene
    My question wasn't are you an intolerant asshole. My question was why do people use gay as a synonym for dumb.
  • James MeanGene 2009/06/24 16:08:34
    James
    Just like yourself. Do you perfer to be called a dork or an idiot.
  • MeanGene MeanGene 2009/06/24 16:23:41
    MeanGene
    It seems as though James blocked me. You're the reason people hate religion.
  • LinzBinz 2009/02/04 21:59:52
    Because people are stupid
    LinzBinz
    +1
    Because people are idiots with no lives. It's just so horrible.

Hilary Duff, well said gal! :-D
  • AmericanVirus 2008/12/17 21:47:20
    AmericanVirus
    Because at one point everyone treated it as an insult and it just stuck.
  • Ace~Mr.Giantess~ 2008/11/21 22:46:00
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    Because the state of only being attracted to the same sex you are is the ultimate bad thing to be so they call something gay as the ultimate insult.
  • LinzBinz Ace~Mr.... 2009/02/04 22:00:59
    LinzBinz
    +1
    that's stupid though. it isn't the ultimate insult. it makes them look ultimately moronic.
  • jody 2008/11/21 20:29:58
    Because people are ignorant
    jody
  • Lanikai 2008/11/21 19:49:30 (edited)
    Because there are a certain percentage of gay people that are just do flamboyant (males) or so masculine (females) that they become the stereotype as much as rednecks and militant blacks. Therefore, they become the joke. It isn;t personal, it is just a general accpetance of a lifestyle choice and a comfort with it that makes everyone think it is okay to pick and stereotype. Why should they be excluded in the stereotyping if they wan to be included in the mainstream? Seems a double standard.

By way of a teasing insult, my gay friends call me "normal" as in "Good grief you are too normal" they do not get offended at the gay thing.
  • EEEE "Its not always a race... 2008/11/21 19:47:54
    EEEE "Its not always a race issue, sometimes its a people issue"
    It is an insult to Homophobes and its fun to see them get mad
  • Comrade Sean 2008/11/21 19:41:51
    Because people are ignorant
    Comrade Sean
    +1
    Well, it's not right. But then, no one that's straight would want to be gay, so in a sense it is an insult. So, maybe gays should come up with a mean way calling gays straight.
  • gwts 2008/11/21 19:39:17
    Because people are stupid
    gwts
  • Raindropkitten™~the author ... 2008/11/21 19:30:52
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +1
    my opinion is bc they dont realize they are flinging it around and its hurting other ppl and honestly you're a little touchy if you get offened by it. Don't get me wrong i support homosexuals 100% think they should get married and everything, one of my best friends is gay and he uses it all the time too...if something is stupid he says its gay and he calls everyone flamers too if he thinks they are dumb...

its just like the word retarded and lame, they all mean mentally and physically disabled people but everyone throws them around without second thought
  • MeanGene Raindro... 2008/11/21 19:34:41
    MeanGene
    But people who are retarded have an actual disability that impares their intelligence. Gay is not a disability, so, my question is why would you call someone gay to try to insult them?
  • Raindro... MeanGene 2008/11/21 19:40:50
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +1
    people use the word gay not toward gay people all the time just like people use the word retard not toward a disabled person all the time, thats what i was saying...they don't do it to hurt they just don't see the word as what it really means and if you are gay then the word shouldn't insult you bc its what u are and if your not gay the word shouldn't insult bc your not

ppl let words hurt them too much and they forget in the end, its just a word
  • MeanGene Raindro... 2008/11/21 19:42:36
    MeanGene
    I'm not "hurt" by it; I'm confused. If you call someone retarded, that is an insult, because retarded people are, for lack of a better term, defective - they're not smart. Most can't live out on their own in the real world.
  • Raindro... MeanGene 2008/11/21 19:48:48
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +1
    i guess im just cold hearted and think ppl take in way too much when they get called something
  • Britt: ... Raindro... 2008/11/21 19:50:31
    Britt: In Pixie Dust We Trust
    I used to use retarded all the time until my niece was born with three different grade 3 brain bleeds. She has Cerebral Paulsy due to micro-prematurity, but luckily she has shown no signs so far. If anyone ever calls her a "tard" or a "retard" I'll pay the biggest, meanest kid I can find to beat their asses.

And my best friend Sara is gay. Her girlfriend is HILARIOUS and she makes a joke out of of it. If someone says "you're gay" to her as an insult she says "OH MY GOD WHAT?! UGH, SICK! Should I be worried? Do you think I should contact my physician? Do they make medicine for that sort of thing?" LMAO! Or I'll call Sara gay in front of her girlfriend (all in the name of laughter, not being serious) and she'll make this DISGUSTED face and say "Uhh, Sara. This is a little awkward and I might have picked the most obvious moment to say this, but I don't think we should hang out anymore."
  • mu_linlin7 Raindro... 2008/12/07 00:48:42 (edited)
    mu_linlin7
    Maybe we should call things that are lame "so white agnostic Twilight hater."

http://thinkb4youspeak.com/
  • Raindro... mu_linlin7 2008/12/07 05:32:28 (edited)
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +1
    lol are you calling me lame because i hate twilight? if so excuse me for having good taste in things
  • mu_linlin7 Raindro... 2009/01/04 14:27:17 (edited)
    mu_linlin7
    +1
    That's precisely my point. Calling something lame or stupid "gay" is equating being homosexual with being lame or stupid, just like I pretended to equate hating Twilight with being lame. It's offensive and incorrect.
  • Raindro... mu_linlin7 2009/01/04 20:07:00
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +1
    how is hating a book and a movie offensive!? you wont get far in this world if you get offended by the little things in life like that
  • mu_linlin7 Raindro... 2009/01/04 20:41:30
    mu_linlin7
    You're misunderstanding me. I said it was offensive and incorrect to equate hating Twilight with being lame, just like it is offensive and incorrect to equate the word "gay" with being lame or stupid.
  • Britt: In Pixie Dust We Trust 2008/11/21 19:28:15
    Because people are ignorant
    Britt: In Pixie Dust We Trust
    +1
    I honestly think that most people don't consider the fact that it's classifying an entire group of people as deplorable. It's not an insult, it's a way of life. YOU BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH with asking this question. I was about to post it too :P Haha!
  • MeanGene Britt: ... 2008/11/21 19:29:36
    MeanGene
    I took your cue from my other poll.
    Thanks
  • Britt: ... MeanGene 2008/11/21 19:57:34
  • {♥Crazy_chica♥} 2008/11/21 19:23:30
    {♥Crazy_chica♥}
    +1
    Good Question!!!!

2014/07/31 23:39:18