Why do people ridicule other for their religious beliefs - or if they don't have any?

Magical 2013/11/09 01:14:52
They ridicule others because they themselves are fools
They ridicule others because they are insecure in their own beliefs
They ridicule others because the only way they can feel tall is by making others feel small
Other thoughts
Most religions have beliefs that are based on faith - not Scientific fact. Christians believe that Jesus is God and arose from the dead, etc., etc. Jews talk of the red sea parting, the burning bush talking to Moses. Someone who studies Scientology believes they lived before - a belief shared by Hindus, for example. Hindus and other eastern religions believe in Karma. Atheists believe it is all hogwash.

It is my philosophy that anyone can believe what they choose and even if I find those beliefs to be far-fetched, there is no reason to be insulting. There is a great deal of stress and hardship that we face during our lifetime, and if someone finds peace by choosing to follow this religion or that one - who am I to critisize their choice? Likewise, if someone chooses to be agnostic or an atheist - why would I be critical of them?

We can disagree and always will. Why can't people let others live their own life and believe as they chose? Why the need to ridicule?

• Straud1976 2013/11/09 14:21:06
    Other thoughts
    Straud1976
    +2
    Only when they are arrogant or try and force their religious crap on others.There are thousands of possibilities.
  • Earthling 2013/11/09 11:21:56 (edited)
    Other thoughts
    Earthling
    +1
    People do this for a number of reasons. This is a touchy subject. The person who delivers my firewood has implied that my disability (or anyone's disability) can possibly have been caused because of sin. I was a Christian as well as an able bodied person for many years and managed never to buy into such bunk. That's bunk, and if I were to ridicule him for harboring that particular belief, I am only responding to religiously-based psychological abuse. Imagine a child with a disability growing up in a church that teaches that? What becomes of the child's self esteem and his or her chances?

I have a fair amount of sweat equity in the fight for the rights of children with disabilities, and to hear somebody say aloud that he's judging me that way as well, to know what he is thinking about my disability, and that I have to depend on him for a necessity to keep my house warm in the winter, makes me want to vomit. He has said to me in the past, "I hope you're not one of those atheists." My reply was "If you mean one of those atheists willing to stand for your right to worship as you wish, and willing to do so even under threat as necessary, you're darned right I'm one of those atheists." I made no impact, Just the day before yesterday, he was here at my home to deliver wood, and I'm g...

I have a fair amount of sweat equity in the fight for the rights of children with disabilities, and to hear somebody say aloud that he's judging me that way as well, to know what he is thinking about my disability, and that I have to depend on him for a necessity to keep my house warm in the winter, makes me want to vomit. He has said to me in the past, "I hope you're not one of those atheists." My reply was "If you mean one of those atheists willing to stand for your right to worship as you wish, and willing to do so even under threat as necessary, you're darned right I'm one of those atheists." I made no impact, Just the day before yesterday, he was here at my home to deliver wood, and I'm grateful for that, but he launched yet another conversation about his concern for my non belief. He only does this because I'm alone and I need help. He sees me as a captive audience, and he thinks he can cross that line because there is no man here to hold him in check.

What he doesn't know is that I'm more than capable of holding him in check because of my skills, and he has no idea how I hold back. When he goes into this, he's absurdly insulting, and if I say one logical thing, his reply is that he shouldn't say anything about religion, because he knows it sets me off. Of course! Anybody who insults me on an ongoing basis sets me off! But he makes it look like my thinking is the problem.

Let me tell you, if you say that my disability is a result of my sin, I will take umbrage, and I will speak a word or two to you that you may interpret as ridicule. Or, you can take that for what it really is, a response to abusiveness.

As far as respect for other people's religions, I had to stand by and watch my Mother die from cancer. She was a Christian Scientist, and had been a Christian Scientist for nearly the whole of my life. It was not my place to interfere and I did not interfere. Because that same woman fought her entire adult life, and competently so, on behalf of preservation of the U.S. Constitution, it would have been especially abhorrent to pull the rug out from under her in a moment of vulnerability,and attempt to strip her of her right to worship as she so chose. I watched her die because of her religion. So, for me, I think I've gone above and beyond in passing the freedom of religion test.

But if you want a quick and easy answer, sometimes people ridicule religion because some -- certainly not all -- religious people have no compunction about crossing the line, and it's the only way some of their targets may know to respond. Others ridicule because that's what they do anyway. They're jerks and they need to be kept on a short leash.

Take people as they come, and deal with them accordingly.
  • Magical Earthling 2013/11/11 17:34:39
    Magical
    +1
    WOW! What an incredible post. Thank you! animated standing ovation
  • Earthling Magical 2013/11/11 17:38:56
    Earthling
    +1
    I'm so in love with you right now. :D
  • Magical Earthling 2013/11/11 17:49:25
    Magical
    +1
    LOL!!! What you wrote was obviously very heart-felt. When I read your response to the man delivering the firewood: "If you mean one of those atheists willing to stand for your right to worship as you wish, and willing to do so even under threat as necessary, you're darned right I'm one of those atheists." I literally wanted to stand up and applaud you.

I am not an atheist - but man oh man you have the right to follow whatever path you choose. You are someone who stands up for what they believe and is proud of who you are. You have my respect and I am glad to know you. stand up for what you believe
  • Earthling Magical 2013/11/11 17:54:03
    Earthling
    +1
    Bless your heart. Well, I do what I've been raised to do. That's really all there is to it. I saw my folks behave that way, and I guess those lessons stuck. You're a very kind person. Thank you so much for showing that kindness to me.
  • Magical Earthling 2013/11/11 22:56:23
    Magical
    +1
    Well deserved.
  • Luca 2013/11/09 06:46:39
    They ridicule others because the only way they can feel tall is by making oth...
    Luca
    termites feed on the structures that others have built; but they will still always be nothing more than termites.
  • Jack Henry Kraven 2013/11/09 06:17:19
    Other thoughts
    Jack Henry Kraven
    "When an individual tries to lift themselves above others, they are dragged down by the mass, either by ridicule or slander."
    ~Victor Hugo~
  • rand 2013/11/09 04:27:26
    Other thoughts
    rand
    Religions are ridiculed because of their inherent hypocrisies: "The ritualization of religion is an absolutely lethal problem.... Not one of the great religions has escaped it. ... Compassionate ethics degrade into conventional moralism... of mindless deadening, formal rules ...that neither enliven nor enlighten." "Essential Spirituality"
  • D D 2013/11/09 03:49:43
  • Marlow ~ Let There Be Light 2013/11/09 03:10:56
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +2
    It's out of pride or insecurity. And both are signals of foolishness.
    Other thoughts
    +1
    Our government-controlled educational system has no courses in morality.
  • Straud1976 Mike 2013/11/09 14:22:34
    Straud1976
    Morality is subjective.
  • Mike Straud1976 2013/11/09 14:59:49
    “Morality is subjective.”

You are confusing morality with values. Values are subjective. Morality is a common force throughout life that brings living-systems together in the social domain. Like gravity bringing objects together in the physical domain.
  • Straud1976 Mike 2013/11/09 16:48:47
    Straud1976
    Morality is subjective their is no central point to start out from. Everybody has their own Idea of right and wrong depending on where they are born, raised and thought process.
  • Mike Straud1976 2013/11/09 22:38:51
    “Morality is subjective their is no central point to start out from.”

Again, you are confusing morality with values. Morality is an outgrowth of our Unalienable Rights of “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” Our Unalienable Rights follows the Conservative Property (Davies & Feynman), one of the Properties of which all Laws in Nature follows; for our Unalienable Rights are part of the Laws of Nature, not manmade:

http://www.amazon.com/Scienti...

Not only does all life have these Unalienable Rights, social systems (groups, tribes, corporations, states, etc.) also have the same Rights for they maintain a set of living-members.

For example, when there are two or more humans in a group, the group becomes alive as an entity on to itself having its own Unalienable Rights. The pursuit of group happiness manifest from goodwill, kindness, embraces a mutual moral respect for the Unalienable Rights of all the members within the group. Morality is a natural bias, embracing positive feedback within our Unalienable Rights, for these Rights acts as an interface between the physical or social domains. Since our Unalienable Rights are part of the Laws of Nature and the link between the physical and social domains, maintains a conservative element embracing order and stability, albeit imp...

http://www.amazon.com/Scienti...

For example, when there are two or more humans in a group, the group becomes alive as an entity on to itself having its own Unalienable Rights. The pursuit of group happiness manifest from goodwill, kindness, embraces a mutual moral respect for the Unalienable Rights of all the members within the group. Morality is a natural bias, embracing positive feedback within our Unalienable Rights, for these Rights acts as an interface between the physical or social domains. Since our Unalienable Rights are part of the Laws of Nature and the link between the physical and social domains, maintains a conservative element embracing order and stability, albeit imperfectly, generating harmony, via morality, in the pursuit of group positive feedback throughout a social system in the ascent of a civil society. Over time, social group positive feedback is the genesis of traditions, values, beliefs, language, etc, the norms of society, which are tried and tested and conservatively pass down from one generation to the next establishing its culture.

There is historical and present day empirical evidence from the independent diversity of culture and language preserved by conservatism via morality.
  • bricklyn Mike 2013/11/09 16:50:13
    bricklyn
    Sorry, but Christianity has no moral base what so ever.

The only thing christians are even remotely good at is pointing fingers at other groups in a pathetic attempt to deflect attentions away from your own reprehensible behavior. Not one of you is capable of maintaining your own standards of behavior or religious ideology for any length of time at all. However, you are more than willing to point fingers and denigrate all other groups constantly to make yourselves appear some how superior.

That used to work decades ago. However, your actions speak much louder than words.; You cannot fool society any more. The majority of your are degenerates with evil hearts and totally incapable of maintaining any kind of moral lifestyle.
  • Mike bricklyn 2013/11/09 22:41:28
    “Sorry, but Christianity has no moral base what so ever.”

Who said anything about “Christianity”? Morality is an outgrowth of our Unalienable Rights of “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” Our Unalienable Rights follows the Conservative Property (Davies & Feynman), one of the Properties of which all Laws in Nature follows; for our Unalienable Rights are part of the Laws of Nature, not manmade:

http://www.amazon.com/Scienti...

For example, when there are two or more humans in a group, the group becomes alive as an entity on to itself having its own Unalienable Rights. The pursuit of group happiness manifest from goodwill, kindness, embraces a mutual moral respect for the Unalienable Rights of all the members within the group. Morality is a natural bias, embracing positive feedback within our Unalienable Rights, for these Rights acts as an interface between the physical or social domains. Since our Unalienable Rights are part of the Laws of Nature and the link between the physical and social domains, maintains a conservative element embracing order and stability, albeit imperfectly, generati...

http://www.amazon.com/Scienti...

• bricklyn Mike 2013/11/11 01:56:54
    bricklyn
    I guess you missed the entire point.

Parents are responsible to teach morals, not schools.
  • Mike bricklyn 2013/11/11 02:10:13
    “I guess you missed the entire point.”

Yes, you did missed my point. Morality is a force in nature that brings living systems together, like gravity being a force in nature that brings objects together.

Using your logic, parents are responsible to teach the laws of gravity, not schools.
  • bricklyn Mike 2013/11/11 01:56:08
    bricklyn
  • XXMr.Scare99XX 2013/11/09 02:18:37
    XXMr.Scare99XX
    +1
    Most likely this.
  • flaca BN-0 2013/11/09 02:10:51
    Other thoughts
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    I don't see much ridiculing. People disagree with others' beliefs, but I wouldn't say they ridicule them.
  • D D flaca BN-0 2013/11/09 03:44:12
    D D
    Oh, they ridicule alright. It is all over SH for one.
  • flaca BN-0 D D 2013/11/09 04:34:29
    flaca BN-0
    SH is not real life. It's a rant site. Surely you know that.
  • smileyface flaca BN-0 2013/11/09 05:05:06
    smileyface
    Good point. I hadn't looked at it that way before. It is quite prominent on SH and that may be because of the vast majority of individuals it attracts. But...um...then again, I'm here on SH too (LOL)
  • D D flaca BN-0 2013/11/09 09:33:35
    D D
    I think people let go here and say what they really think anonymously.
  • Luca flaca BN-0 2013/11/09 06:48:44
    Luca
    then peruse the posts here on Sodahead with a more alert eye of discernment..because I see about 10 polls daily that are phrased in such a way to ridicule religions...and you see the same polls I do.
  • Kashee 2013/11/09 02:09:26
    Kashee
    +2
    They are probably insecure in many areas of their lives and puff themselves up by slamming other people's beliefs. Sad.
  • Danielle 2013/11/09 02:05:47
    Danielle
    +1
    Starting with the Christians being ridiculed, let's start there.
    Other thoughts
    +2
    rude.. poor upbringing
  • stfu 2013/11/09 01:19:11
    Other thoughts
    stfu
    +1
    They do it for two entirely different reasons.
  • stfu stfu 2013/11/09 01:21:04

2014/08/29 14:29:31