Why do others believe Christianity is bogus?

joanne S.O.C.K P.U.P 2010/06/03 20:37:36

• seathanaich 2010/06/03 21:06:48 (edited)
    seathanaich
    +3
    Hi Joanne. I believe that Christianity is bogus for the same reason I believe that Islam, Hinduism, Greek, Egyptian, Aztec, Inca, Mayan, Polynesian, and a thousand other tribal religions are bogus. There is no evidence that any of them is true. That's the most important reason.

Beyond that, there is also a mountain of evidence which demonstrates that the claims of these various religions and gods are false. That's a pretty persuasive factor.

On top of that, an interest in history, anthropology, and mythology has let me figure out what causes people to invent religions and gods in the first place. It's an interesting topic. If you are interested in it, I can recommend a few good authors.

But before all of the above, I wasn't indoctrinated as a child to believe that any religion or gods were real. The indoctrination of children is vital for the transmission of religious beliefs. Muslims in Gaza raise children who turn out to almost always be Muslims. Hindus in India do the same. Christians in Guatelmala do the same. Ancient Greeks, Aztecs, and Vikings did the same. There's a pattern here - religion is a cultural construct, made by humans.

It is only in safe, tolerant, relatively wealthy, relatively educated families that people are increasingly saying "none of the above"...

It is only in safe, tolerant, relatively wealthy, relatively educated families that people are increasingly saying "none of the above" when asked their religion. And that is what we are increasingly seeing: that the combination of personal safety, social tolerance, comfortable affluence, and modern education either lower religious belief, or cause people to discard it completely. I hope that helps answer your question. The US lags behind Japan/Korea, Aus/NZ, Canada, and Europe on this issue. Where the US is today is where Canada was about 20 years ago, but the US is following the same rejection of religion that all educated societies are currently undergoing. I have a fair amount of statistical information on this if you are interested. Today, 33-50% of Europeans are atheists, but 50-75% of European youth are atheists. 25% of all Canadians are atheists, but 33% of Canadian youth are atheists. In the US, about 15% of Americans are atheist, but 25% of American youth are atheists. Young people replace old people when they die off, so you can see where the trend is going: Christianity will be a minority religion in all educated nations - including the USA - within your lifetime, as it already is in Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Britain, and Cechy.

Atheists don't single out Christianity to "disbelieve", they merely put Christianity in the same category as all the other religions, which you presumably don't consider true or real. Obviously for you, as an English-speaking American, you see atheism in its position related to Christianity. But an atheist in India is an atheist largely in response to Hinduism, while (closet) atheists in Egypt are largely "atheist" in response to Islam. I hope my post makes sense, and answers your question. Feel free to ask for clarification on anything I wrote which isn't clear. Cheers!

• Disko Pickle 2010/06/04 22:45:15
    Disko Pickle
    For the same reason that Christians believe that all other religions are bogus. Most people who don't believe in Christianity were born in places where Christianity is not the dominant religion. You believe in Christianity because you were born into a culture, and probably a family, where Christianity is taken for granted as being the truth.
  • joanne ... Disko P... 2010/06/04 22:46:20
    joanne S.O.C.K  P.U.P
    +1
    i don't feel other religions are bogus i just don't believe in them;but you have a point.
  • msiluvr666 2010/06/04 19:58:12
    msiluvr666
    I believe Christianity is bogus, because there is no justified evidence that it's true, and it isn't realistic. I believe that there is no way for the human race to know whether there is/isn't a god/gods, what happens when we die, etc.
  • The Potato Princess 2010/06/03 22:23:42 (edited)
    The Potato Princess
    Because some people have faith in Jesus, some trust in science, and even more believe in something else. The believe Christianity is bogus for the same reason Christian people believe Christianity isn't bogus. Some have faith in Christianity, others don't.
  • seathan... The Pot... 2010/06/03 22:30:50
    seathanaich
    +1
    Hi Stormy.
    There is no need for "faith" in science. "Faith" is belief without evidence, or in contradiction of evidence.
    What people have in science is "trust". "Trust" is belief that is based upon evidence or experience.
    I suicide bomber uses "faith" in his religion to cause himself to do evil, while using "trust" in his cell phone to detonate himself.
    Unfortunately, people often use these two words interchangeably, when they really shouldn't, if they want to be clear in their meaning. Cheers.
  • The Pot... seathan... 2010/06/03 22:32:40
    The Potato Princess
    Oops, yeah, sorry, that's what I meant, I'll change it now.
  • seathan... The Pot... 2010/06/03 22:42:43
    seathanaich
    +1
    You rock.
  • The Pot... seathan... 2010/06/03 22:43:46
    The Potato Princess
    Really? Why? Umm, thanks.
  • seathan... The Pot... 2010/06/03 23:16:35
    seathanaich
    +2
    Because you learn new things when people explain them. Most people would rather argue than learn.
  • The Pot... seathan... 2010/06/03 23:18:35
    The Potato Princess
    I would argue if I thought someone was wrong. But you showed me that I was wrong, so it would be kinda pointless to argue.
  • seathan... The Pot... 2010/06/03 23:26:40
    seathanaich
    +2
    Which is why you rock. Cheers.
  • The Pot... seathan... 2010/06/03 23:30:27
    The Potato Princess
    Okay, thanks. Cheers.
  • Shilo 2010/06/03 22:20:59
    Shilo
    +1
    It just doesn't make that much sense to me.
  • joanne ... Shilo 2010/06/04 21:34:05
    joanne S.O.C.K  P.U.P
    why doesn't it?
  • Shilo joanne ... 2010/06/05 01:15:11
    Shilo
    A multitude of reasons. Why would a god who is supposedly benign and supposedly omnipotent need humans to believe in him for him to take care of them? Why would a loving god create a life with certain instincts and desires and then forbid them to indulge on pain of eternal torment? How can Jesus be said to have made the ultimate sacrifice when he knew he was going to be resurrected, and then go on to rule all creation at the right hand of god? If so many behaviors are forbidden to humans because god finds them to be distasteful, why were so many animals created with instincts leading to the same behaviors?

So many reasons, I can't think of them all after working 14 hours.
  • joanne ... Shilo 2010/06/05 02:53:46
    joanne S.O.C.K  P.U.P
    maybe it has to deal with the balance of good and evil.we need them both so the world could function.its a theory i learned in school about a philosopher.believing in the balanced world.makes since.
  • Shilo joanne ... 2010/06/05 18:05:41
    Shilo
    With all due respect, there is no balance. Most of what good there is in the world is a thin disguise for yet more evil.
  • joanne ... Shilo 2010/06/05 23:55:17
    joanne S.O.C.K  P.U.P
    i agree.but there could still be at least some good.
  • socokid 2010/06/03 22:12:05
    socokid
    +1
    I have no reason to believe it isn't.

Why do you believe Sikhism is bogus? Atenism? Hinduism?

Same answer.
  • kmay 2010/06/03 21:21:59
    kmay
    +1
    Because they don't have faith.
  • METALheadMom 2010/06/03 21:11:53
    METALheadMom
    WHO CARES!!!! IF THAT IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE, IT SHOULD NEVER MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE HAS TO SAY ABOUT IT. cares
  • joanne ... METALhe... 2010/06/03 21:19:03
    joanne S.O.C.K  P.U.P
    so why do you ask the questions you ask on sodahead.is it because you think others really care or is it because you're curious to what they'll say?
  • heart of glass 2010/06/03 21:11:27
    heart of glass
    +2
    I believe the plan for salvation is illogical. Why would anyone create 6 billion people, put them on a planet with hundreds (if not thousands) of religious choices to choose from and then say, oh but only one will get you into heaven and everyone else is going to burn for eternity? Really think about it, why would a supposedly loving god do this? Pretend for a moment that it isn't god, but an actual human who did this? What would you think of them?
  • joanne ... heart o... 2010/06/03 21:24:05
    joanne S.O.C.K  P.U.P
    +1
    certain things just have no explanation for.i see what you mean and it makes complete since but no one is telling anyone to disbelieve what they feel towards certain things.
  • heart o... joanne ... 2010/06/03 21:27:45
    heart of glass
    +1
    Lol, maybe you aren't, but there are plenty of Christians on this site who do just that. But good for you to question and good luck with your quest for knowledge.
  • Melizmatic heart o... 2010/06/03 22:33:35
    Melizmatic
    +2
    I think that's just mankind's skewed interpretation of God's will.

People have been saddling human attributes unto 'omnipotent' beings since ancient times.
    Look at ancient Greek & Roman mythology...

Their deities had all the worst human traits: Greed, vanity, lust, pride...
  • heart o... Melizmatic 2010/06/03 23:17:50
    heart of glass
    +1
    I guess because the Bible says we are made in his image it's a natural conclusion to saddle "him" with human attributes.

Personally, I like to think there IS a creator and an afterlife, but I don't worry that the way I'm living my life has anything to do with how it all started or how we end up.
  • Melizmatic heart o... 2010/06/03 23:25:26
    Melizmatic
    +2
    I believe in the creator too, but I think many people's perception of him is very far from the truth; rather than God making us in his image, we've deigned to envision him in ours.
    seathanaich
    +3

• heart o... seathan... 2010/06/03 21:23:46
    heart of glass
    +2
    I swear I'm going to print this out and stick it in my wallet, so that if anyone asks me why I don't necessarily believe, I can just pull it out and read it to them. Thank you :)
  • seathan... heart o... 2010/06/03 22:27:19
    seathanaich
    +2
    You're welcome, Heart of Glass. I'm glad it was useful. But I miss your old profile photos, you beautiful woman. Cheers.
  • heart o... seathan... 2010/06/03 23:18:16
    heart of glass
    +1
    Aww thanks, you flatter me!
  • seathan... heart o... 2010/06/03 23:26:57
    seathanaich
    +2
    Just calling it like it is. Cheers.
  • joanne ... seathan... 2010/06/03 21:25:22
    joanne S.O.C.K  P.U.P
    thanks for sharing
  • Gun665 2010/06/03 21:03:30
  • Melizmatic Gun665 2010/06/03 21:17:32
    Melizmatic
    +1
    Well said!
  • Gun665 Melizmatic 2010/06/03 22:13:57
  • Melizmatic Gun665 2010/06/03 22:23:13
    Melizmatic
    +1
    De nada.
  • Gun665 Melizmatic 2010/06/03 22:25:07
  • joanne ... Gun665 2010/06/03 21:26:34
    joanne S.O.C.K  P.U.P
    +1
    it is sooo true.ididnt ask for this.....
    its being very immature and immoral.

2014/09/19 22:02:48