Why do girls need to wear skin tight shorts to play volleyball but boys can play with regular cut shorts?

gamman 2009/10/08 16:24:51
Girls need to play in short shorts because ....
Boys play volleyball in regular cut shorts because ....
chill out man, who cares?
we live in a society that promotes different value sets for boys and girls

• Maya 2012/08/13 01:31:18
    Maya
    +3
    Its easier to move around in spandex and theyre really comfortable.

• nicesteve 2013/04/21 00:10:46
    nicesteve
    That's a classic illustration of the double standard, If you have the "misfortune"
    of being male, then don't even wish to wear shorts above the knees. In fact,
    many people think that all men and boys need to be confined to heavy long
    pants, long sleeve shirts, and heavy shoes regardless of wheather or not it's
    hot outside. On the other hand, if you have the good fortune of being of the
    fairer gender, then you're free to wear short shorts, bikini swimsuit bottoms,
    or maybe even go bottomless if your heart so desires. While I realize that
    women's and girl's legs and asses are prettier than those of men and boys,
    that's still unreasonable and unfair to us men and boys.
  • Maya 2012/08/13 01:31:18
    Maya
    +3
  • chris 2010/11/18 08:30:06
    chris
    +1
    its part of the surge of suporters, who goes and watches guys play in spandex or a speedo.. no one ! plus the female is a beautiful work of art. i know i go to stare at some hot ass .. well not in all cases the fat chicks need to be kicked from the team or wear guy shorts lmao.
  • ThatGuy 2010/11/09 06:55:01
    ThatGuy
    +1
    I always just casually assumed it was because high-school girl volleyball teams are mostly run by middle-aged dads who probably haven't had a sex life with their wives in years *shrug* These spandex shorts in volleyball are something that is just so blatantly sexist and sexual, yet existing right out in the open, that it boggles my mind.

Look, I enjoy seeing young women’s asses hanging out in skin-tight spandex as much as the next guy, but you can’t tell me they are wearing them because they are the only functional clothing they can find for the sport. Guys in both indoor and outdoor volleyball can wear regular sports shorts and seem to be able to move around just fine, and they actually have something hanging between their legs. Yet women can’t? Give me a break.

The only semi-valid argument I’ve ever heard for girls wearing spandex underwear in high-school and college volleyball is that when diving, some longer shorts will ride up and reveal the crotch area. To that I would say: wear some sports underwear like everyone else? And how is wearing a spandex and thong an actual solution? We can still see the crotch area if you make a dive; oh, and wait, we can see the crotch area—and everything else—when you’re standing up too! And as it just so happens—purely as another unfor...

The only semi-valid argument I’ve ever heard for girls wearing spandex underwear in high-school and college volleyball is that when diving, some longer shorts will ride up and reveal the crotch area. To that I would say: wear some sports underwear like everyone else? And how is wearing a spandex and thong an actual solution? We can still see the crotch area if you make a dive; oh, and wait, we can see the crotch area—and everything else—when you’re standing up too! And as it just so happens—purely as another unfortunate inconvenience in the name of “functionality”, of course—we can see every curve and even the smallest detail of your ass, particularly when you’re bending over, which is only, oh, 90% of the time.

Just accept reality. Girls in high-school and college volleyball wear these spandex shorts because they enjoy showing off their bodies; because the guys and coaches enjoy looking at them; and because, as a consequence of this, apparently we have no problem furthering the stereotype that women are sexual objects to be ogled at, even in an athletic arena.

I’m not advocating that high-school and college girl volleyball teams should have to wear something dreadful like basketball skirts; and as far as attire goes for professional female adults playing the sport, who cares? They’re adults, they can wear what they want, mostly only adults watch professional volleyball anyway, and they’re not in an educational environment where we are paying with our tax-dollars for their team to even exist. So in that regard, is it really just inconceivable for these young girls to wear sports underwear and sports shorts that extend to mid-thigh or (dare I say) slightly lower?

Probably not, as that would likely cut audience attendance in half and leave all of the pathetic, middle-aged dad coaches out there without a proper image to masturbate to at night.
  • gamman ThatGuy 2010/11/09 16:31:06
    gamman
    now, that says it all. thanks
  • ThatGuy gamman 2010/11/11 01:24:56
    ThatGuy
    +1
    Hehe, ya I'm not sure why this topic so suddenly gripped me; I don't even watch highschool or college volleyball so I'm not even that passionate about it. I just kind of blacked-out while writing it.
  • Bman 2010/01/13 01:02:45
    Bman
    +1
    This is a great question. They don't.
  • summer ♥ † John 3:16 † ♥ 2010/01/12 15:12:45
    summer ♥ † John 3:16 † ♥
    i think most girls like short shorts. IDK
    i like wearing short shorts at home but when i go out i wear a more conservative shorts. i've seen men who also like wearing short shorts! yikes!!

wearing shorts home wear conservative shorts ive wearing shorts yikes
  • gamman summer ... 2010/01/12 16:37:40
    gamman
    thank you for sharing ... yikes
  • Krm3567 2009/12/17 04:07:08
    Krm3567
    +3
    If it meant that girls would oogle at me, I would wear the tight shorts too. But as it turns out, when men wear tight clothing or short shorts (not even short, anything above the knee, nowadays), people tend to laugh or be offended.
  • Bitwise Operator 2009/11/20 01:51:48
    Bitwise Operator
    +1
    Women are nothing more objects of lust and we have to reinforce that stereotype from cradle to grave.

That's not what we SHOULD be telling women but hey I am just commenting on the state of things. Women who dress for respect usually get it, the ones who dress like streetwalkers or sex objects seem surprised that they are not well respected.
  • GamerLioness 2009/11/06 03:15:09
    GamerLioness
    +1
    One reason could be because if guys wore short-shorts, their penis/testicles could be far more noticeable, so they often wear long shorts. I'm not sure why girls tend to wear short-shorts, though.
  • ohiobuck 2009/10/30 03:18:46
    ohiobuck
    WHY !!! Guy the blaim
  • gamman ohiobuck 2009/11/06 16:51:28
    gamman
    +1
    it was neither stated nor implied that guys were to blame. the question has to do with why does one gender wear longer shorts than the other.
    you may make your own assessment of the situation.
  • Half-Ginger 2009/10/21 15:48:40
    Half-Ginger
    +1
    Guys are perverts and want to oogle a girl while they're leaping around
  • Jo 2009/10/09 14:06:25
    Jo
    +1
    I've wondered that myself. I have two young daughters, one of whom has expressed an interest in playing volleyball, and I'm not thrilled at the idea of her wearing belt-sized shorts
  • gwts 2009/10/09 06:10:13
    gwts
    +1
    it's the same like women playing tennis in tiny skirts....we still live in a world where women have to be nice to look at if they want to have success *sighs*
  • mei mei 2009/10/08 23:30:01
    mei mei
    +1
    i feel better when i do workout with short shorts....maybe our body are built differently than guy.....because guy got that "thing" it will looks .....well that will get audiences attention!...LOL!
  • 666 n my heart® 2009/10/08 21:15:03
    666 n my heart®
    +1
    Im a man so I like to see the tight shorts on women
  • gamman 666 n m... 2009/10/08 21:15:59
    gamman
    +2
    that's fine but these are high school girls ...
  • 666 n m... gamman 2009/10/08 21:19:05
    666 n my heart®
    True
  • jitko 2009/10/08 21:03:13
    jitko
    +1
    It is difficult to get crowds and enthusiasm for girls' athletics. Short shorts are an equalizing measure. By parading their young flesh, the little ladies are getting much-needed attention.

Perhaps bikinis would by a catalyst for the egalitarian world for which we are striving??
  • Sarah Films the Clouds 2009/10/08 20:33:11
    Sarah Films the Clouds
    +1
    I didn't know that was the case.

Maybe it's because the people who make the rules are pigs.
  • Ember 2009/10/08 18:34:38
    Ember
    +3
    I guess it has something to do with the perception that guys are supposed to be able to oogle at a girls body, but people don't want or expect girls oogling at/objectifying a guy in the same way.

Either way girls don't NEED to wear skin tight shorts, and I'd kinda prefer not having to see that if I ever went to a volleyball match. Your talent is what is meant to be the center of attention in sports, not your ass.
  • Tutboy (oYo) 2009/10/08 16:30:45
    Tutboy (oYo)
    +1
    hey, rules are rules
  • jitko Tutboy ... 2009/10/08 21:04:48
    jitko
    +1
    And boys are boys.
  • Tutboy ... jitko 2009/10/08 21:14:10
    Tutboy (oYo)
    +1
    exactly
  • Krm3567 Tutboy ... 2009/12/17 04:13:35
    Krm3567
    +4
    If it bugs the female athletes so much, wear different shorts! I'm pretty sure the girls choose their own. If volleyball players nationwide are feeling objectified and discriminated against because of their shorts, then maybe now is the time for them to unify and boycott the hot-pants. But if they wear short shorts just because they feel like it (which is more likely) then I say, let them.
  • Seasoned BN-0 2009/10/08 16:29:34
    Seasoned BN-0
    +1
    It is still all about admiring the bodies...not the talents.
  • Ember Seasone... 2009/10/08 18:36:01
    Ember
    +1
    only if you're female.
  • Girls need to play in short shorts because ....
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +1
    They get a bigger audience that way?

2014/07/28 17:46:06