Why Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas and Easter, if they Don't Believe in JESUS?

Trish 2013/03/27 02:42:08

• FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX 2013/03/27 03:10:56 (edited)
    Other
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +25
    Both "Christmas" and "Easter" were pagan holidays long before Christians came around.

Christmas was originally a celebration of the Winter Solstice.
    (Decorated Trees, Lights, Holly and Yule Logs come from Winter Solstice traditions)

Easter was originally a celebration of the Spring Equinox.
    The very name "Easter" refers to the Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility, Eastra (aka Eostra, Eostre, Eostur, Eastur) Didn't you ever wonder why its called "Easter?" Rabbits represent procreation and eggs represent fertility. It suddenly makes sense when you take Jesus out, doesn't it.

GET YOUR OWN HOLIDAYS, CHRISTIANS.

• Philosoraptor 2013/05/30 07:11:05
    Other
    Philosoraptor
    Because we like not having to go to work as much as anyone.
  • catbyte21 2013/04/22 14:47:40
    They just want chocolate and gifts.
    catbyte21
    For the same reason Christians celebrate Halloween, ect., It's just a nice thing to do for a day. They don't take it as a religious holiday, they basically just (sometimes) get a day off of work or school and can get presents (christmas) and free candy (halloween). I don't think it's fair, I think that a person who really believes in that particular holiday should celebrate it as it is meant to be celebrated (as a religious holiday) and not just celebrated "just because".To me it's disrespectful of a religion you don't even believe in.
  • Swamp Wizard 2013/04/16 13:12:39
    Other
    Swamp Wizard
    As if you really need a reason to celebrate
  • Emilee 2013/04/03 02:29:25
    Other
    Emilee
    Christmas, for me, is just one day out of the entire year that I can really relax and tell my family how much they mean to me, not that I don't do that every day. It's just nice to have a day set aside from this crazy world to love my family. Easter is a celebration of Spring, in my book, not about Jesus. It's a celebration of everything that is to come and to making it through the Winter alive.
  • StEwPiD MoNkEy 2013/04/02 16:15:52
    Other
    StEwPiD MoNkEy
    NO WHERE in the bible does it say to celebrate the birth of Christ. The holiday of Christmas actually extends from the Roman holiday Saturnalia. ( I think wiki is good enough for this.)

Saturnalia was an ancient Roman festival in honour of the deity Saturn held on December 17 of the Julian calendar and later expanded with festivities through December 23. The holiday was celebrated with a sacrifice at the Temple of Saturn in the Roman Forum and a public banquet, followed by private gift-giving, continual partying, and a carnival atmosphere that overturned Roman social norms: gambling was permitted, and masters provided table service for their slaves.[1] The poet Catullus called it "the best of day.

So this is a very stupid question. It runs along with the question,

Christians, if you don't believe in greek/roman gods then why do you use the names of the week?

After all, you are celebrating days that are there to glorify greek and roman gods.

The Naming of the Days

The Greeks named the days week after the sun, the moon and the five known planets, which were in turn named after the gods Ares, Hermes, Zeus, Aphrodite, and Cronus. The Greeks called the days of the week the Theon hemerai "days of the Gods". The Romans substituted their equivalent gods for the Greek gods, Mar...

The Naming of the Days

The Greeks named the days week after the sun, the moon and the five known planets, which were in turn named after the gods Ares, Hermes, Zeus, Aphrodite, and Cronus. The Greeks called the days of the week the Theon hemerai "days of the Gods". The Romans substituted their equivalent gods for the Greek gods, Mars, Mercury, Jove (Jupiter), Venus, and Saturn. (The two pantheons are very similar.) The Germanic peoples generally substituted roughly similar gods for the Roman gods, Tiu (Twia), Woden, Thor, Freya (Fria), but did not substitute Saturn.
    Sunday -- Sun's day

Middle English sone(n)day or sun(nen)day
    Old English sunnandæg "day of the sun"
    Germanic sunnon-dagaz "day of the sun"
    Latin dies solis "day of the sun"
    Ancient Greek hemera heli(o)u, "day of the sun"
    Monday -- Moon's day

Middle English monday or mone(n)day
    Old English mon(an)dæg "day of the moon"
    Latin dies lunae "day of the moon"
    Ancient Greek hemera selenes "day of the moon"
    Tuesday -- Tiu's day

Middle English tiwesday or tewesday
    Old English tiwesdæg "Tiw's (Tiu's) day"
    Latin dies Martis "day of Mars"
    Ancient Greek hemera Areos "day of Ares"
    Tiu (Twia) is the English/Germanic god of war and the sky. He is identified with the Norse god Tyr.

Mars is the Roman god of war.

Ares is the Greek god of war.

Wednesday -- Woden's day

Middle English wodnesday, wednesday, or wednesdai
    Old English wodnesdæg "Woden's day"
    Latin dies Mercurii "day of Mercury"
    Ancient Greek hemera Hermu "day of Hermes"
    Woden is the chief Anglo-Saxon/Teutonic god. Woden is the leader of the Wild Hunt. Woden is from wod "violently insane" + -en "headship". He is identified with the Norse Odin.

Mercury is the Roman god of commerce, travel, theivery, eloquence and science. He is the messenger of the other gods.

Hermes is the Greek god of commerce, invention, cunning, and theft. He is the messenger and herald of the other gods. He serves as patron of travelers and rogues, and as the conductor of the dead to Hades.

Thursday -- Thor's day

Middle English thur(e)sday
    Old English thursdæg
    Old Norse thorsdagr "Thor's day"
    Old English thunresdæg "thunder's day"
    Latin dies Jovis "day of Jupiter"
    Ancient Greek hemera Dios "day of Zeus".
    Thor is the Norse god of thunder. He is represented as riding a chariot drawn by goats and wielding the hammer Miölnir. He is the defender of the Aesir, destined to kill and be killed by the Midgard Serpent.

Jupiter (Jove) is the supreme Roman god and patron of the Roman state. He is noted for creating thunder and lightning.

Zeus is Greek god of the heavens and the supreme Greek god.

Friday -- Freya's day

Middle English fridai
    Old English frigedæg "Freya's day"
    composed of Frige (genetive singular of Freo) + dæg "day" (most likely)
    or composed of Frig "Frigg" + dæg "day" (least likely)
    Germanic frije-dagaz "Freya's (or Frigg's) day"
    Latin dies Veneris "Venus's day"
    Ancient Greek hemera Aphrodites "day of Aphrodite"
    Freo is identical with freo, meaning free. It is from the Germanic frijaz meaning "beloved, belonging to the loved ones, not in bondage, free".

Freya (Fria) is the Teutonic goddess of love, beauty, and fecundity (prolific procreation). She is identified with the Norse god Freya. She is leader of the Valkyries and one of the Vanir. She is confused in Germany with Frigg.

Frigg (Frigga) is the Teutonic goddess of clouds, the sky, and conjugal (married) love. She is identified with Frigg, the Norse goddess of love and the heavens and the wife of Odin. She is one of the Aesir. She is confused in Germany with Freya.

Venus is the Roman goddess of love and beauty.

Aphrodite (Cytherea) is the Greek goddess of love and beauty.

Saturday -- Saturn's day

Middle English saterday
    Old English sæter(nes)dæg "Saturn's day"
    Latin dies Saturni "day of Saturn"
    Ancient Greek hemera Khronu "day of Cronus"
    Saturn is the Roman and Italic god of agriculture and the consort of Ops. He is believed to have ruled the earth during an age of happiness and virtue.

You can no longer hold mass on Sunday as it is a day orginally prescribed to a pagan deity. Yeah!! no more churches!!
  • ~head~first~fearless~ 2013/04/02 00:45:08
    They just want chocolate and gifts.
    ~head~first~fearless~
    Duhh, that's the best part! Besides, Easter and Christmas were Pagan holidays before Christians adopted them.
  • taylordoesntdeserve 2013/04/01 21:38:19
    Other
    taylordoesntdeserve
    +1
    Because Jesus has nothing to do with it. He wasn't even born on Christmas.
  • ZirconiumWit 2013/04/01 21:29:35
    Other
    ZirconiumWit
    Because they're convenient days with which to make merry, what with many families already celebrating on these days, and the celebrations are often quite secular in nature?

Dunno, that seems plausible to me.
  • Owen 2013/04/01 17:54:41
    Other
    Owen
    I celebrate life, love, family, friends and good health any time I can! The good things. Not fantasy stories from ancient death cults.
  • boognish989 2013/04/01 16:16:44
    Other
    boognish989
    +1
    because these holidays have nothing to do with jesus. these are pagan holidays bastardized by early christians. a better question would be: why do 'christians' celebrate pagan holidays? ishtar (pronounced EASTER) was a fertility goddess. her symbols included eggs and rabbits. when 'christians' celebrate ishtar, they are celebrating sex.
  • Death On Two Legs 2013/03/31 23:15:55
    Other
    Death On Two Legs
    Christmas is Pagan in origin. The time of year it is celebrated, and the tradition of decorating a Christmas tree are Pagan. Besides, the whole holiday is all about consumerism now.

Easter is also Pagan in origin. The act of finding Easter eggs is a Pagan one.
  • Tonysturtle 2013/03/31 02:54:05
    Tonysturtle
    Its kind of fun doing the traditions such as dying eggs and doing egg hunts in easter and setting up a Christmas tree, decorating it, getting gifts, and baking cookies
  • JET 2013/03/30 14:56:48
    They just want chocolate and gifts.
    JET
    What's not to like?
  • Joachim 2013/03/30 14:18:55
    Other
    Joachim
    Why do Christians celebrate these pagan holidays? Jesus observed Hanukkah and Passover, not Christmas and Easter
  • Gordon 2013/03/29 20:36:59
    Gordon
    +1
    Atheists want to enjoy themselves even if they believe in nothing at all. It seems hypocritical to me, but that is rampant in the USA today. atheist christmas
  • Koatz 2013/03/29 18:48:07
    Other
    Koatz
    +1
    They're probably just doing what is a tradition without a religious focus. Surely, buying gifts for someone has no religious significance. And, hunting for eggs and consuming large amounts of delicious chocolate is not religious in itself.
  • wildemanne 2013/03/29 17:42:16
    They just want chocolate and gifts.
    wildemanne
    no fools there everybody love gifts
  • Trish wildemanne 2013/03/29 18:55:19 (edited)
  • wildemanne Trish 2014/10/21 18:49:41
    wildemanne
    didnt you know god is used to explain the things we dont yet know from scienctific investigation
  • Little Queen-phαετ 2013/03/29 17:05:39
    They just want chocolate and gifts.
    Little Queen-phαετ
    +2
    And, usually, some of whomever they gather with are Christian.
  • Hakking 2013/03/29 17:05:00
  • Peewee ~PWCM~ 2013/03/29 17:01:02
    They just want chocolate and gifts.
    Peewee ~PWCM~
    Even Pagans are theists of a sort. An Atheist, who in my mind believes in no religion of any kind. Unless you are a true curmudgeon it's hard not to get involved in family activities and the fun that goes along with it.
  • elijahin24 2013/03/29 14:38:06
    Other
    elijahin24
    First: I do believe in Jesus. I don't believe he was a deity, or the offspring thereof. I just think he was a great philosopher. I would celebrate a holiday dedicated to Voltaire, Marcus Aurelius, or Jon Stuart Mill; just as eagerly.
    Secondly, Whether or not Christmas is a religious holiday, is not the point, for me. My family and friends are spread out all over the country. Christmas is the one time of the year, that I can see them all together. Yes, the food and gifts are fun; but it's really about family. It's about spending time with people we love. I don't think anyone of any faith, or none; would take offense to that.
  • Clay Slayer 2013/03/29 14:27:09
    Other
    Clay Slayer
    +1
    Neither of those celebrations originally had anything to do with the Jesus dude.. Just another story stolen by the Christians to make their agenda palatable to the Gullible...
  • deidara.trueart 2013/03/29 12:20:21
  • Kenny 2013/03/29 12:15:06
    Other
    Kenny
    I don't celebrate easter, i celebrate christmas cause that way i get presents .-.
  • Logical Alien 2013/03/29 12:01:33
    They are lost and confused.
    Logical Alien
    Actually, don't know
  • carrotcat 2013/03/29 03:21:35
    Other
    carrotcat
    +2
    Easter was originally a pagan holiday before the Catholic Church decided to turn it Christian :)
  • Gordon carrotcat 2013/03/29 20:40:28
    Gordon
    +1
    Ditto with Easter & All Saints' Day.
  • flyingseaturtle BN 2013/03/29 02:15:31
    Other
    flyingseaturtle BN
    People have different reasons of doing things. I know that different cultures celebrate Christmas and Easter in their own way. I know a couple of atheist who don't celebrate christmas. It just depends on the person.
  • retrograve 2013/03/29 00:58:59 (edited)
    They just want chocolate and gifts.
    retrograve
    presents ancient aliens

Not an atheist but that's why I do it. Guess I not so good either.
    oops gif
  • DoxieDad 2013/03/29 00:50:48
    DoxieDad
    +1
    Because they are national and commercial holidays maybe?
  • Drebi 2013/03/29 00:28:05
    Other
    Drebi
    +2
    I celebrate the Solstice and Equinox - they just so happen to be around the same time as Christmas and Easter; which my family of religous theists of the Christian variety celebrates. It's really quite conveneint.
  • Gordon Drebi 2013/03/29 20:43:10
    Gordon
    +1
    So true. Neither Christmas nor Easter are Biblical. Ditto with birthdays, and most other so-called Christian holidays or festivals.
  • ontinashi 2013/03/28 22:04:04
    Other
    ontinashi
    Why just narrow it down to people who have no god? I know people of many different religions who celebrate Christmas.
  • ladyvoldemort 2013/03/28 20:57:09
    They just want chocolate and gifts.
    ladyvoldemort
    +1
    It's the commercial aspects.
  • scharschell 2013/03/28 20:43:02
    Other
    scharschell
    +3
    Why do Christans celebrate Pagan holidays????? we all do
  • Gloryanna's Quill 2013/03/28 20:42:43
    They just want chocolate and gifts.
    Gloryanna's Quill
    +1
    they celebrate the secular side of the holiday
  • Car1u5~PWCM~JLA 2013/03/28 20:42:36
  • Miss Yuki 2013/03/28 20:39:26
    Other
    Miss Yuki
    Everything Fawkes' Noose said.

2014/12/19 16:36:37