Why do Americans think Canadians can't own guns?

runningintriangles 2009/10/21 22:57:35
Seriously, you guys are weird. We just need a license, and guess what? We can own firearms! Shocking, right?

• June 2009/10/22 15:49:43
    June
    +5
    You sure do have issues with Americans. You can stop talking to us altogether you know? I really hope not all Canadians are like you. You are a very poor sampling.

• Unegawaya 2009/11/12 06:33:07
    Unegawaya
    +4
    i never thought that.....really i didnt care........but did you know in Kansas and in Oklahoma its legal to shoot some one as long as you warn them and as long as they are on your property......kinda dumb really.....but either way fun to know
  • morning40oz~mad as hell 2009/10/24 08:54:30
    morning40oz~mad as hell
    +1
    I never thought you couldn't own guns. I know people that go to Canada specifically to hunt. Kudos, to you guys, too, for ranking higher in freedom than the US in the latest rankings. I believe you guys ranked 5th and we ranked 7th. Frankly, I was surprised to see our rankings that high, and, well, yours, too, for that matter.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2009/10/24 08:40:24
  • running... mk, Sma... 2009/10/24 20:35:08
    runningintriangles
    +1
    That explains a lot, actually.
  • mk, Sma... running... 2009/10/25 20:04:34
  • running... mk, Sma... 2009/10/25 20:14:35
    runningintriangles
    +1
    No, but there is legal ownership.
  • mk, Sma... running... 2009/10/25 20:18:21
  • running... mk, Sma... 2009/10/25 20:19:50
    runningintriangles
    +1
    A legal possibility, sure, but not one that would ever be an issue. We don't try to take freedoms away from our citizens. This country doesn't do that.
  • Chunky-D 2009/10/23 22:40:25
    Chunky-D
    Canadians are limited in purchasing guns, they have to go through Government training and licensing, and are limited in the number of weapons they can own. Americans have a Right to bare arms, as many as we want, when we want. As a law abiding adult any Government regulation that makes that right harder to enjoy is simply wrong. The people who use guns to rob and kill don't go and register their weapons anyway. We the people who are lawful citizens are bunched up into the same group as the criminals and the crazies. All in the name of public safety when the truth is it's simply Big Government intrusion into our lives. group criminals crazies public safety truth simply government intrusion lives
  • running... Chunky-D 2009/10/23 22:43:01
    runningintriangles
    Right, your country just makes it easier for those who shouldn't have guns to get them. I hardly think that's logical. And it's not that hard to get a licence.
  • Chunky-D running... 2009/10/25 01:08:49
    Chunky-D
    We have always had free Gun rights. It is our heritage it is our God given right to bare arms. Every city in the US that has very stringent gun laws also has the highest crime rates. Because Gun's don't cause crime they prevent crime. That is a proven statistic.
    laws highest crime rates guns crime prevent crime proven statistic
  • running... Chunky-D 2009/10/25 01:22:43
    runningintriangles
    God given? Give me a break.

Honey, that "statistic" is not necessarily accurate. Unless you prove a direct correlation, which I should mention would be impossible, you cannot claim the statistic is accurate. You can say, we not have more guns and less crime, but you can't say the two are related without proving it to be so.
  • Chunky-D running... 2009/10/25 23:38:35
    Chunky-D
    The statistics show the cities with stricter gun laws have higher crime. That is a Government statistical fact in the U.S. And ALL our rights in the United States are granted us by God, not the Government. Our Declaration of Independence declares, WE ARE ENDOWED BY OUR CREATOR WITH CERTAIN INALIENABLE RIGHTS. This is what sets our Nation apart from all others our rights come from God not Government, unfortunately many Americans have been re-educated by the left wing to the point they are ignorant of this fact so they let Government control what they have no right to control.
  • running... Chunky-D 2009/10/26 00:10:06
    runningintriangles
    Despite what you may think, you're country is not a Christian country, mate, I know a good lot of American atheists.

Add to that, you still have no proof that those two statistics are directly related.

Clearly you're one of those stubborn "If it ain't my way, you're unAmerican," so I think I'm finished here.
  • Silas 2009/10/23 13:39:22
    Silas
    +2
    Canadians are a reasonable and patient lot. Yes they have reasonable gun ownership. And no they don't mind getting a license or waiting in line.
  • Vive le Canada Libre!!! 2009/10/23 02:22:43 (edited)
    Vive le Canada Libre!!!
    +2
    Because we have sensible GUN LAWS. After the École Polytechnique massacre back in 1989 it was a good idea for the government to do what it did back then such as the Firearms Act of 1995. Not to mention we're not nearly as trigger happy as Americans are.
    massacre 1989 government firearms act 1995 mention trigger happy americans
  • Saladpants 2009/10/23 00:17:15
    Saladpants
    +2
    Actually I think the stereotype would be that everyone in Canada has a gun because the American stereotype of every Canadian being a lumberjack/hunter
  • running... Saladpants 2009/10/23 01:47:03
    runningintriangles
    +2
    That, and apparently we live in igloos... oh, stereotypes are fun ;P
  • Saladpants running... 2009/10/24 03:23:46
    Saladpants
    +2
    Yeah and apparently all americans wear baseball caps and eat hamburgers and pizza but oh well i don love pizza
  • running... Saladpants 2009/10/24 03:28:24
    runningintriangles
    +2
    Oh, and apparently we all talk like Bob and Doug Mackenzie, haha.
  • Saladpants running... 2009/10/24 05:24:29
    Saladpants
    +2
    I honestly have no idea who they are
  • running... Saladpants 2009/10/24 05:25:52
  • brutusin~ Proud Apetheist 2009/10/22 23:16:07
    brutusin~ Proud Apetheist
    +2
    Truthfully I know of no nation where a person can't own a gun. I haven't really thought about it either.

On another note have a good day.

truthfully nation person gun
  • June 2009/10/22 15:49:43
    June
    +5
  • Vic~*PH... June 2009/10/23 01:47:30
    Vic~*PHAET*~
    +3
    Actually, June, she has a problem with stupid Americans -- I'm not pointing fingers, but I know her and what she doesn't like. That's not all Americans as I'm sure you're aware, but certainly a large majority of us.

Considering a good number of the population is ignorant and can't even spell correctly, I have to agree with her.
    I even shake my head at how stupid some Americans are and they shame me.

The questions says, "Why do Americans think Canadians can't own guns?" not "Why do all Americans think Canadians can't own guns?" or are you just one of those people that hates RunninginTriangles for no reason other than heresay and what you've seen before?
  • running... Vic~*PH... 2009/10/23 01:53:21
    runningintriangles
    +3

You are awesome beyond words. =D
  • Vic~*PH... running... 2009/10/23 19:23:26
    Vic~*PHAET*~
    +2
    Aw shucks, don't flatter me now. We don't want me getting an ego too big for my britches.

But thanks :) aw shucks flatter ego britches
  • LOTR_HP... June 2009/10/24 00:12:12
    I dunno but I think they can, can't they?
  • running... Lady Wh... 2009/10/22 10:24:26
    runningintriangles
    +2
    ...clearly you did not read the description of this question.
  • sasquatchette 2009/10/22 06:20:57
    sasquatchette
    +3
    I never thought that Canadians can't own guns ... but why do Canadians think that all Americans own guns? When we cross the border, your border guards are shocked and incredulous when an American says they DON'T own a gun. Prett funny, really.
  • running... sasquat... 2009/10/22 06:28:54
    runningintriangles
    +2
    We don't, love. We know you folks don't all own guns. And I've never seen a Canadian border guard shocked or incredulous, in fact, they're usually pretty cheerful and laid-back, compared to the American border guards at least.

I've just had several Americans in the past while tell me I can't own a gun because I'm a Canadian citizen, when clearly Canadians can own guns. Hence the question.
  • sasquat... running... 2009/10/22 06:33:35
    sasquatchette
    +2
    Our border guards ARE pretty humorless, yeah. But I'm not making it up ... the Canadian border guard between the WA - Canadian border was shocked and incredulous when we said we didn't own a gun circa June 20, 2004.
  • running... sasquat... 2009/10/22 10:25:35
    runningintriangles
    +2
    So one person makes you think we all think like that? I don't really think that's overly logical.
  • sasquat... running... 2009/10/22 16:45:10
    sasquatchette
    +1
    I was being a bit of a smartass. But surely "several" Americans, out of the thousands I'm sure you've talked to, don't make you think that all Americans think Canadians can't own guns.
  • running... sasquat... 2009/10/22 16:46:40
    runningintriangles
    +1
    Oh, certainly not, I never said all Americans think Canadians can't own guns.
  • Zuggi 2009/10/22 02:48:46
    Zuggi
    +3
    I knew that, but half my family are canuks.
  • Okami 2009/10/22 02:39:47
    Okami
    +1
    i didnt know americans thought that...oh well more power to ya
  • Dionysus 2009/10/22 02:22:12
    Dionysus
    +1
    Some people (RWNJ) think that your going to invade us...after all you are massing your population at our borders!
  • jOkEsOnYoU 2009/10/22 01:58:00
    jOkEsOnYoU
    +1
    I've never actually thought about Canadians and firearms...but now that you bring it up, all I can think is...why are people thinking that? I've never actually heard that they can't own guns....it must not be a hot topic around here....but it is stupid thinking that they can't own guns...

and...this is a bit off topic....but I have to get this off my chest....

*sigh* I'm going to tell you now and I don't care who knows...I hate America.....I know that there are some Americans who aren't comeplete idiots, but the majority give the rest of us a really bad name....I do kinda have a problem with other countries thinking that because we're Americans, we're automatically stupid....some of us can actually be pretty clever....sorry...but I had to get that out....feel free to mentally slap me...

2014/08/23 11:44:09