Why Clothing Quality Could Soon Decline

Leasheryn/Lady Willpower 2011/10/04 01:38:29
Related Topics: Fashion, Clothing, Quality

Read More: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/hillsb...

+6
    I don't know why they are saying IF ..
    The Quality of Clothing in the stores already HAS Declined .. notice how little it takes to get a tear in them, how bad the seams are .. the lack of quality and the fabric itself is just .. flimsy?

Seems to me .. we already have poor quality .. and it is getting worse.

• mustang... retired... 2011/10/05 02:50:56
    mustangluver
    +2
    I had a paper dress..it made too much noise when i walked or moved..LOL
  • Leasher... mustang... 2011/10/06 00:58:26
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    What was it like to sit down in?
  • mustang... Leasher... 2011/10/07 17:39:01
    mustangluver
    +1
    Noisy..LOL..I felt like i had a giant napkin on..and i got some paper cuts on my butt..LOL
  • Leasher... mustang... 2011/10/08 00:32:56
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    Ouch! There's nothing worse than a paper cut.
  • middlesex1957 2011/10/04 02:40:27
    middlesex1957
    +4
    There is no reason to wear junk made by slave labor in sweat shops. People with financial means donate clothing that's far from worn to a lot of places that use the proceeds for charity like the Association for the Blind. You can buy style and quality for less than dollar store hoodies and t-shirts if you factor in how often you have to replace that crap. A good 100% cotton oxford shirt will last you 10yrs. and take you from work to play all foro $5 at a church rumage sale. Looking like you slept in the gutter is more about attitude than finances.
  • mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/10/04 02:24:34
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +5
    HUH The quality isnt falling already?? I mean see through t-shirts meant to be worn in the winter isnt crap? This guy does have the right idea though. With the narrow exception of a few things money does buy quality.
  • Leasher... mg's ha... 2011/10/05 01:40:16
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +3
    The quality of clothing has been declining drastically over the last several years. Most of the clothes look like they've been worn and hang in the stores like rags. Even the feel of the clothes is nasty.
  • mg's ha... Leasher... 2011/10/06 15:30:05
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I'm careful now more than i had been about that. I can see anything wrong with going to the salvation or goodwill if there is a need But taking clothes from there and sprucing them up to sell the again without acknowledging that had been done is wrong. I think the smaller stores are doing that though.
  • Leasher... mg's ha... 2011/10/07 01:17:10
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    I can believe anything. I used to work in a small retail store and can tell you horror stories. The worst one was when there was a problem with customers going to the bathroom on the clothes. I would have taken them out of inventory and thrown them away but the manager decided to clean them instead and spray them with Frebreeze. Anything to save money but I would have been furious if I'd boughten clothes under those circumstances.
  • mg's ha... Leasher... 2011/10/07 01:20:54
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Oh that is wrong no so many levels...YUCK im sorry you had to deal with that. I bet you didn't use your employee discount on those clothes, if you used that at all.
  • Leasher... mg's ha... 2011/10/07 01:25:11
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    The store was eventually closed down. Some of the things that were going on there was nasty and appalling. I was on the verge of putting in my notice when it was abruptly closed.
  • mg's ha... Leasher... 2011/10/07 01:29:46
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Oh that is really bad. I dont know how people think they can get away with everything they try to do sometimes. They have to know at some point someone will hold them accountable. I hope you werent out work too long after that happened.
  • Leasher... mg's ha... 2011/10/07 01:33:18
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    It was a very bad situation. Alot of scheming to cover their tracks and a lot of backstabbing. Everyone was accused, by the manager, of lying, cheating or stealing at one time or another but the manager was the one who had alll the schemes. I left that job and went straight into another one.
  • mg's ha... Leasher... 2011/10/07 01:38:15
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Its businesses like that which make me wonder who shoud be allowed to own a business of their own to begin with. Im glad you didnt have to wish and wonder with your bills too much at that time.
  • Leasher... mg's ha... 2011/10/07 01:42:56
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    It's all about putting money ahead of having a good business standard. It greed that motivates people who own businesses and run them like this.
  • mg's ha... Leasher... 2011/10/07 01:47:53
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Unfortunately it is the way things are beng done in some places now. I hope this changes soon Its no way to make money.
  • Leasher... mg's ha... 2011/10/07 01:51:38
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    You have to treat your customers right and with respect so they will continue to come back again and feel welcomed. There's no customer service anymore. Go in a store and you are on your own. If you have a question or don't know where to find what you are looking for, you might as well forget it.
  • mg's ha... Leasher... 2011/10/07 02:03:26
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I have noticed that too. It's sad.
  • Leasher... mg's ha... 2011/10/07 02:04:56
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    When I worked in retail we were told not to talk to the customers and if they wanted something to point the way and leave them.
  • mg's ha... Leasher... 2011/10/07 02:07:30
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I can understand letting people browse, but that is going to far.
  • Leasher... mg's ha... 2011/10/08 00:34:37
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    I always felt that if a customer wanted to browse they should be left alone. If they have a question, I would make myself available. If they wanted help, I was there to help them. There were times when I even had to go into the fitting room with them to jhelp with sizing.
  • mg's ha... Leasher... 2011/10/09 03:31:43
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Sometimes that's what it takes to make the sale. There's a huge difference between hovering over people and helping them. Obviously you know it.
  • Leasher... mg's ha... 2011/10/10 01:17:13
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    I worked in retail for quite a while. Back when customer service was important. Here in Florida there are a lot of elderly people shopping who need alot of extra care. It's a shame to just point the way and leave them standing around.

Things changed drastically. I was working in the shoe department once and measured a customer's feet with the shoe sizer and was told to never do it again by management. As far as I was concerned, if you don't help the customer, they will leave and go someplace else. My argument didn't get me anywhere.
  • mg's ha... Leasher... 2011/10/10 02:11:24
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Whoever told you not to help people is nuts. Its more than obvious when to step in an help someone. Some people are fickle and unpredictable too.
  • Leasher... mg's ha... 2011/10/10 02:47:32
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    The original owner passed away and the son and a cousin took over. They radically changed the entire way of doing things, including customer service. The old owner was big about serving the customer and would even come into the store personally to see if he was greeted appropriately. When the new ones came it, it was all self-service. I thought it was mean not to help and important to know when to step in and when to step back.
  • mg's ha... Leasher... 2011/10/10 02:51:48
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    You are more than right. Those people have no idea how to run a business unless they want it to fail. Even the selfservice places let help be given when needed.
  • Leasher... mg's ha... 2011/10/11 01:20:17
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    All they wanted to do was save money and run the business as cheaply as possible. They got rid of all the full time employees and hired only part-time and temporary workers. I knew a girl who was temporary for 8 years. She was steamed when she found out. She was working full time hours with no benefits.
  • mg's ha... Leasher... 2011/10/11 03:19:44
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    That used to the an unwritten rule businesses had. Push the time card as far as they can so those there was no responsibility to the employees One of the reasons i wont work for a big business again....ever.
  • Leasher... mg's ha... 2011/10/12 01:04:23
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    I won't either. I've seen too much and have too strong any opinion against it.
  • Beccy 2011/10/04 02:17:03
    +4
    When I buy clothes I always shop at the better stores. I would rather have one good outfits than many that are out of style next year. I have noticed that things are not made as well. They get the labor cheap in third world countries but the workers don't take the pride that Americans do.
  • Leasher... Beccy 2011/10/05 01:42:01
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +3
    You're right. Clothes don't last any longer than one or two wears. When I was young and in school, I would get school clothes that would last me a year. There was nothing wrong with them other than that I outgrew them. They wore like iron. Oh, for the good ol' days.
  • Beccy Leasher... 2011/10/05 01:57:01
    +3
    Yes indeed and things didn't go out of fashion so fast
  • Leasher... Beccy 2011/10/06 00:58:50
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    Fashions used to last for a while.
  • Beccy Leasher... 2011/10/06 01:06:53
    +1
    Yes they did. I think you can still get some classics but they are hard to find. I just hate the loud prints they are using now.
  • Leasher... Beccy 2011/10/06 01:09:22
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    I don't like loud prints at all. I also don't like colors or patterns that don't match.
  • Beccy Leasher... 2011/10/06 01:15:25
    +1
    Me either. I try to stay with a classic look. Don't need to buy so many clothes that way. Funny you look good all the time and there is more money for our first love books. I lovebooks
  • Leasher... Beccy 2011/10/06 01:17:12
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    If you look nice, you feel better about yourself. The classic looks were smart, clean and wore well. Anyway who needs new clothes when you can have books instead?
  • Beccy Leasher... 2011/10/06 01:18:06
    +1
    Yes indeed. Have you read the glass castle yet?
  • Leasher... Beccy 2011/10/06 01:20:11
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +1
    No, not yet. Who wrote it? I'm reading Three Plays by Thornton Wilder: Our Town, The Skin of Our Teeth and the Matchmaker.
  • Beccy Leasher... 2011/10/06 01:27:10
    +1
    glass castle They were talking about the Jungle on NPR the other day. I think I want to try to read it again.

2014/10/31 09:52:36