Why Aren’t Women Using More Effective Birth Control?

bricklyn 2012/05/31 19:06:19

A new study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that the most popular methods of contraception – the pill, the patch, or the vaginal ring – are 20 times less effective than long-term birth control methods. Intrauterine devices (IUDs) and contraceptive implants are designed to stay in the body anywhere from 2-10 years, and provide continuous protection against pregnancy.

The study’s authors compared the rates of failure in various birth control methods in 7,500 women. Over the course of a year, 4.55 out of 100 participants on hormonal birth control became pregnant, compared to only 0.27 with a long-term contraceptive. Even more interesting – women under 21 had twice the risk of becoming pregnant on the pill.

Why? Mostly because it can be hard to remember to take a pill at the same time every day – and some hormonal methods aren’t very forgiving. Dr. Jeffrey Peipert explained his results to the Huffington Post, saying, “It’s the human factor. We just make mistakes sometimes. The long-acting reversible contraception methods are forgettable. You put them in place and they work very well.”

Still, the Guttmacher Institute has found that only 5.5% of women using contraception are using the IUD. (Even less have the implant.) Part of this is because of the faulty Dalkon Shield model in the 60s and 70s which caused infections and uterine perforations at an alarmingly high rate. It wasn’t very effective at preventing pregnancy, either. While this was the only brand of IUD plagued with these problems, the devices were wildly considered unsafe and fell out of favor for decades.

Now that newer, safer IUDs are available on the market, there’s another problem – many doctors simply don’t know how to insert them. And many doctors erroneously believe they are unsafe for use in women who haven’t had children.

Implants and IUDs are also expensive – while an $800 price tag spread over 10 years is less costly in the long run, it may be harder for women to come up with than $20 for a month of the pill. Women without insurance, or with only partial coverage, will usually find the cost prohibitive.

Dr. Sarah Bedstadt, an assistant professor in the department of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Rochester, told the Huffington Post, “In this country, the default birth control has always been birth control pills. This study really shows that there are much more effective methods. That’s not to say that all women should be using these methods. But women should have the information they need chose what’s right for them.”

Read More: http://www.care2.com/causes/why-arent-women-using-...

• Lady Aiyanna 2012/06/07 11:47:11
    Lady Aiyanna
    IUD is more because of high cases of heavy bleeding once inserted and it doesnot always prevent a pregnancy either. Moreover I don't like scars on my stomach with a knife especially and you might need that for an IUD. Some women, like myself don't have to worry about pregnancy at all as they are not active. I used the oral contraceptive for six years four year pre-pregnancy, post marriage and two years post pregnancy.
    Personally $800 for an IUD/Patch is expensive for common people and that is one reason why they stick with the traditional methods. Get the guy to use a condom along with the pill, it works just fine.
  • bricklyn Lady Ai... 2012/06/08 04:22:55
    bricklyn
    +1
    I used an IUD for about 8 months and it took me over 4 years to heal from the damage it caused. I was also unable to used oral contrception due to other medical conditions as well. I think that most people think there is an easy answer to every thing, there clearly is not.
  • Lady Ai... bricklyn 2012/06/08 05:29:13
    Lady Aiyanna
    Its all about the adjustment and I know mum suffered with IUD and recommended me against because of my blood disorder. Sometimes the hormone therapy causes issues and totally agree with you, which is why I stopped using them the minute I changed country as my body adjusted to only one particular mix which wasnot available here. I am allergic to latex too.
  • bricklyn Lady Ai... 2012/06/09 03:04:43
    bricklyn
    +1
    Me too, huge problems with latex. At the time I wanted a tubal ligation as I was positive I did not want any more kids. At 24 they refused that outright. Telling me I would changed my mind, I never did.
  • Lady Ai... bricklyn 2012/06/09 03:36:19
    Lady Aiyanna
    Sometimes people try to make decision what they think is the best for you thinking its well meaning. I respect that but what I am who I want to be and that is the greatest choice that I make for myself.
    If they think you would change your mind, they need to get it in writing the warnings and the implications etc. It is called a disclosure that creates a safeguard against any unwritten contractual obligation should anything go wrong post the surgery including the change of mind. You never changed your mind which proved them wrong, which means you can take them to task for refusing to comply with what you had requested because your stand is still the same. But I would say leave it as there it has not hurt you in any way.
    They pay you to get sterlised (that is what they call it) in India as it keeps the population under control. Its called government incentive, given to the males who get this procedure done for their wives post child bearing to upkeep and maintain her with food and clothes.
    The Unmarried men pay Bachelors' Tax to encourage the population to have more daughters than sons.
  • bricklyn Lady Ai... 2012/06/09 03:42:26
    bricklyn
    I found it very disturbing at the time. My doctor was around 60 at the time and had just become a new father. He thought that was great. I thought he was insane. I knew I was not really the materal type and never wanted any more than one child ever. He could never understand that on any level. Without his approval and that of a board at the hospital of 4 other men. I would never pass the criteria.

Interestingly enough that once I was divorce, I was done without question at the age of 28. No questions asked by another doctor I did not know at all.
  • Lady Ai... bricklyn 2012/06/09 04:52:45
    Lady Aiyanna
    Well we know what Rupert Murdoch did!!! But the doctor was imposing his principles on you which is against his oath if you did ask me. He should have taken your situation into consideration and gone ahead.
    Sorry to hear about your marriage, mine fell apart at 27 but we tried to make it work till 31 when he made a choice to walk out and I let him. We are still married but not living together. Its more an societal eyewash for his conservative family and doesnot want to lose everything in a divorce as I have done a Winner takes it all claim and have the proof against him.
    Sometimes procedures like these are best done by people who don't know what is going on as they are unbiased and work for you despite the odds.
  • bricklyn Lady Ai... 2012/06/09 05:18:39
    bricklyn
    It was the best decision I made considering the health issues I had at the time. I have one wonderful daughter and that is enough for me.

I still see that dominance in American society around birth control and abortions issues and still look back on my life when I was young. I am now 63 years old and find it odd that women are still struggling to assert their own power in the world today. Not to be able to control your own reproduction has held women back in society for centuries. Yet our society still has not progressed.
  • Lady Ai... bricklyn 2012/06/09 06:15:23
    Lady Aiyanna
    I see where you are coming from and I think it is a problem with the patriarchal society that we live in as majority look at us as the weaker gender despite the fact that we juggle so many diverse things at the same time and have the upper hand at times, if allowed in decision making which is always correct because of the experience we have.
    I personally believe men are who they are because of the women in their lives and a true and decent woman who is allowed to make and take decisions that are mutually beneficial to her family and herself as a whole would be the greatest blessing that we can give our planet.
    I think the reason why the society hasnot progressed is because the mind of a woman has been for granted and condemned as malicious, obnoxious and its seen all around us in the messages of hate about wives, mothers, girls etc. It hurts and it creates this negativity that women need a man to control them and I have personally faced it and had lots of failures in life because I let the decision making to male. Today, I call the shots and all the men in my family have to listen and if they don't they see trouble brewing as I pull out proof of their actions and then demand remediation with immediate effect. They hate it, I can tell you that, but heart of hearts, they all kno...

I think the reason why the society hasnot progressed is because the mind of a woman has been for granted and condemned as malicious, obnoxious and its seen all around us in the messages of hate about wives, mothers, girls etc. It hurts and it creates this negativity that women need a man to control them and I have personally faced it and had lots of failures in life because I let the decision making to male. Today, I call the shots and all the men in my family have to listen and if they don't they see trouble brewing as I pull out proof of their actions and then demand remediation with immediate effect. They hate it, I can tell you that, but heart of hearts, they all know I am right.
    I did that when I gave birth, refused a C Section because I was strong enough to push, refused a transfusion during excessive blood loss as they wanted some external donor and I didn't trust them despite my mother being the same group and even signed a statement at my own risk if I went ahead and lived to tell the tale.
    My grandmum is the same, became a mother at 16 and researched and found out about French Leather and advocated it and spaced her next child with a eleven year age gap and that is my mum. She blew the thing before and after to make sure there were no slip ups. This was in the 1940's.
    Well, I thought it was great to listen to the man, he made a huge mistake and now, I told him my way or the highway and he has to listen as I just go with his whimper because of the past and the one who is actually shivering is his mother who should have taken the initiative to stand up for her son and advice him correctly, even if it meant losing her self pride and admitting that she was wrong in the way she handled things. I have done it in the past, apologised to my son who is six now and sought his decisions too before taking my major decision of not having another child.
    Today the man cries but for me its the past water under the bridge but I know there will be many women who will follow suit as some of them get in touch just to find out how to combat their men and relationships at times. It just takes a push and a friend who believes in you to be able to move mountains and multiply that ability to the masses. Its one drop no doubt, but if we all add those drops together, we create a puddle which become a stream, then a river that makes the mighty ocean that cannot be judged as it echoes through ever rock, crevice, surface on the planet as a fixture that can never be moved away or killed and shields all the life within successfully.
  • bricklyn Lady Ai... 2012/06/10 01:39:58
    bricklyn
    You are an extremely strong and intelligent woman. Sound like you come from a long line of them as well. So am I, but I am the first in my family.

It takes life experience to teach you how to navigate the world and how to be in charge of your own destiny and stand up for what is right in the face of adversity. I have come a very long way from my upbringing to be the quiet church mouse and know how powerful I am now. That strength is a great sense of security to me now and I cherish it deeply.

Women have definitely been taken for granted both intellectually and physically. We are not weaker, we simply operate differently and deal with issues from different angles. When we assert ourselves, men have a difficult time dealing with the reality of that and find it offensive. For me, I simply am not prepared to back down to tradition, nor am I willing to have males dominate my life or control it.
  • Andy 2012/05/31 21:49:45
    Andy
    +1
    I know one Birth Control that costs Nothing...and Is 100% effective... JUST SAY NO!!! Without responsibility there comes disaster!!
  • bricklyn Andy 2012/06/01 01:11:48
    bricklyn
    WOW, now you are a genius. NOT!!!

That has never worked though out history and never will. Only the very ignorant would propose something that stupid. Birth control is not 100% perfect and neither are people.
  • Andy bricklyn 2012/06/01 12:42:14
    Andy
    TRUE TRUE TRUE... but the only 100% fool proof Birth Control is to abstain from sex. Sex is good...in the right context. But, if you don't want children...then keep it zipped up!!
  • bricklyn Andy 2012/06/02 05:01:33
    bricklyn
    Hardly works in a relationship. Your opinion is unreasonable in the majority of marriages.
  • 001 Andy 2012/06/01 08:51:19
    001
    Lol, this is the first time I agree and disagree at the same time about the same thing.
  • Andy 001 2012/06/01 12:43:13
    Andy
    How are you on both sides of this??
  • 001 Andy 2012/06/01 13:48:40
    001
    +1
    Abstainance is the best way not to get pregnant, that is definitely true. But I don't know anybody who would want that.
  • Andy 001 2012/06/01 14:58:37
    Andy
    WANT vs NEED... that is always the problem!! We need to be able to show discipline in our lives. There are 1000's of things we want...but, are they profitable?? If you don't want to have kids...then don't have sex or have the surgery. If you don't want to get STD's then keep your knees together!!
  • 001 Andy 2012/06/01 15:13:10
    001
    +1
    Lust is a natural drive, and it's not healthy to completely refrain from sex. Also, this is not about STDs, pregnancy is not an STD. If it were just that, simply have yourself and your partner tested and you won't have to worry.
  • Andy 001 2012/06/01 15:16:58
    Andy
    Not a concern for me and my wife... we are the only ones we have been with for 25 years... and then there is the Big V!!

While I truly understand LUST... remember we are not dogs, cats, horses or rabbits... we can show restraint...as we are a higher life form capable of reason.
  • 001 Andy 2012/06/01 16:52:34
    001
    I stand by my point, sex is healthy
    http://9gag.com/gag/4334961
  • Andy 001 2012/06/01 17:46:06
    Andy
    so is eating... but over doing it...FAT
    so is drinking...but over doing it...DRUNK
    so is sleeping...but over doing it... LOSE DAYLIGHT TO BE PRODUCTIVE

Most All things have their benefits... but, in the wrong context or handled improperly... you have problems!! This includes Sex!!
  • 001 Andy 2012/06/01 22:20:02
    001
    OVER doing it, yes. But you were talking about complete abstainance.
  • Scream Andy 2012/06/02 00:29:23
    Scream
    +1
    But you're talking about complete abstinence.
    No eating: Death.
    No sleeping: Death.
  • bricklyn Scream 2012/06/10 01:41:07
    bricklyn
    No one has ever died from a lack of sex.
  • Scream bricklyn 2012/06/10 03:29:02
    Scream
    Exactly. That was the flaw in Andy's logic that I was pointing out.
  • bricklyn Scream 2012/06/10 03:37:01
    bricklyn
    Yup, you may feel like you are dying, but you never do. You are always available to help yourself.
  • Scream bricklyn 2012/06/10 03:43:09 (edited)
    Scream
    What? You're making no sense.
  • bricklyn Scream 2012/06/10 03:47:59
    bricklyn
    You are not as smart as I thought you were. Self gratification is always available.
  • Scream bricklyn 2012/06/10 03:50:47
    Scream
    You don't seem to be able to read my posts.
    And masturbation is not the same as sex with another person. It's not a good long-term substitute.
  • bricklyn Scream 2012/06/10 06:26:47
    bricklyn
    The body does not interprete the difference.

Your comments have no basis in fact.
  • Scream bricklyn 2012/06/10 06:33:11
    Scream
    Have you ever thought that having sex with someone else might just be a little less pathetic than getting yourself off all the time? You know, a nicer experience overall?
  • bricklyn Scream 2012/06/10 06:55:48
    bricklyn
    I do know exactly what great sex is. I was married to a very great man.

Pathetic is only in the eye of the beholder. Those who are willing to lower their standards into the gutter and lower are not getting anthing but disease and vermin in partners of disease.

I look for quality in all things in life. Pathetic does not exist here as it obviously does in your existance. I chose to live with exuberance.
  • Lady Ai... 001 2012/06/09 06:18:53 (edited)
    Lady Aiyanna
    It is healthy, but have to admit if the environment is healthy within, the seed will grow into a flower unless the source of the seeding is protected. Watering the seed is the other source too once the flower blooms.
  • bricklyn Andy 2012/06/02 05:03:25
    bricklyn
    Remember we are ALL animals and have the exact same sexual needs at all times. NO we are NOT a higher form of live either and animals do have the ability to reason.
  • Andy bricklyn 2012/06/06 21:42:50
    Andy
    really... dogs know when and where to do their dooty?? Or are they conditioned to go outside??
  • bricklyn Andy 2012/06/08 04:24:17
    bricklyn
    Your complete ignorance is profound!
  • Andy bricklyn 2012/06/08 12:54:47
    Andy
    Thank you... and yours will continue to help us continue in the downward spiral.
  • bricklyn Andy 2012/06/09 03:06:39
    bricklyn
    No, it is ignorant fools who refused to face the stark realities of life that have put the entire planet of women into slavery of their reproduction for the history of mankind on this planet.

Being a smug narrow minded bigot become a lot of fool who cannot step out of their comfort zone and look at things from a different perspective.
  • bricklyn Andy 2012/06/02 05:02:11
    bricklyn
    Sex is a NEED and has been proven to be.

2014/10/25 00:46:57