Why are women who choose to wear makeup viewed so negatively?

★☆Ams★☆ 2012/07/02 16:41:56
I just read a lot of assumptions about anyone who puts on makeup, and there's almost this attitude that if a woman doesn't wear it she's somehow superior to a woman who does. Like a female who doesn't put on any must automatically be a knockout, while a girl who does must be ugly underneath it all. I don't know, there are many cases which that hasn't been true in my experience, and I guess I find it kind of odd that women who choose to wear it get such a bad rap.

• ★misfit★ 2012/07/02 17:50:15
    I don't know...
    ★misfit★
    +6
    I think it's usually because of ignorance and hypocrisy. When men criticize women for wearing makeup, it's because they don't know that 99% of the women they find attractive are indeed wearing makeup. They only notice the makeup when it's two inches thick and looks horrible. When they see a woman with well done makeup, they think she's not wearing any, and therefore assume that women who wear makeup look ugly. When women criticize other women for wearing makeup, it's usually because they're just the jealous and catty type.

• lucky 2012/11/29 13:40:46
    It's because...
    lucky
    +1
    Because so many woman now days wear way to much makeup, its caked on so thick that it nearly cracks when they smile. The assumption comes from what do they have to hide that they have to wear so much. Makeup is designed to enhance but many wear it to conceal what they see as imperfections.
  • Anna 2012/11/27 02:05:16
    I don't know...
    Anna
    +1
    I wouldn't say we're viewed negatively, more condescendingly. I get a lot of "Oh honey, why do you bother with makeup. You're so beautiful without it," or "You don't need to do this to impress boys. They should like you for you." And then there are the girls going "I"M confident in myself, thus I don't wear makeup".
    Newsflash, makeup=/= confidence issues. With or with out makeup I am one of the cockiest people I know, particularly about my looks, and I love makeup. The only thing I wear for a confidence boost is spot cover, and that is only to hide temporary blemishes. The eye-shadow, eyeliner, and lip color(nether subtle or natural looking more often than not) are for my own enjoyment and to make and outfit flow together better. It seems beyond some people's comprehension that I wear it for my own pleasure.
    Ladies, and men, wear what pleases you. If you like makeup because it is your form of art, go for it. If you like it because you feel better about yourself leaving, wear it. If you prefer not having any, don't wear it. No need to look down on hose who do differently than yourself.
  • flrdsgns 2012/11/25 18:15:54
    I don't know...
    flrdsgns
    +1
    I didn't know they were viewed negatively
  • hippycat 2012/11/25 17:04:14
    I don't know...
    hippycat
    +1
    I wasn't even aware of it...
  • PhoenixFloe 2012/11/25 13:37:15 (edited)
    It's because...
    PhoenixFloe
    +1
    Probably for very similar reasons people make fun of me for being a very hairy woman and not shaving it all off. One of which being, they think it looks unattractive. I feel, in general, that a woman who wears makeup would look SO much more attractive without it. Plus, makeup clogs pores leading to blemishes, is often tested on animals, and is often made of harmful chemical products that accelerate the effects of aging. It stains clothing, often smells funny, runs when a person cries or goes into water, takes so long to apply, is worn too heavily and masks a persons true beauty, most men don't care at all or even prefer no makeup. This is all just my opinion. I think women should do whatever the hell they want and if that includes wearing makeup regularly, do it up! But for me, personally, I don't like it and don't wear it unless for a themed photography project or I'm painting my face for a costume based performance. (Which happens VERY rarely.)
  • ehrhornp 2012/11/25 02:32:03
    I don't know...
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Didn't know they were. I sure don't view them negatively. I think most women in the business community wear some sort of make up. Prefer a woman who doesn't as it is such a ritual for a woman to go through. Liked it better when she didn't.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/11/25 00:11:32
    I don't know...
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    Are they?
  • Peewee ~PWCM~ 2012/11/24 23:48:43
    It's because...
    Peewee ~PWCM~
    +2
    of the people who do wear too much.
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2012/11/24 19:51:45
    I don't know...
    Just MEH....Piwan
    +2
    There is nothing wrong with makeup as long as it is used SUBTELY, but some women really dollup it on and they look like mannequins. i personally like the "minimal" look, because to me the more natural, the more attractive!
  • CA Gal 2012/11/24 18:42:21 (edited)
    It's because...
    CA Gal
    +1
    These men are cave men. Keep the little woman at home looking homely while they're out screwing the women wearing make-up and sporting false boobies! LOL They'd prefer we downplay our looks to make sure no other caveman is interested. My husband has no problem with me looking my best!! He likes it!!
  • Queen B 2012/11/24 18:39:15
    I don't know...
    Queen B
    +1
    If that is true, then it says that some people are small minded and petty to care about what any woman chooses to do.
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/11/24 18:36:17
    I don't know...
    **StarzAbove**
    +1
    I've never heard anyone making bad comments about women who wear makeup. I think more women wear makeup than those that don't.. I think makeup enhances one's looks. Maybe those that don't wear it are the ones griping about it. Just saying.
  • Who wants a cupcake? 2012/11/24 18:21:17
    It's because...
    Who wants a cupcake?
    +1
    they arent showing their true self .... its hidden under all the makeup
  • ladyvoldemort 2012/11/24 17:43:32
    I don't know...
    ladyvoldemort
    +2
    I wear makeup because to me, makeup is an art form. My face is my canvas and makeup is my medium. After I prime my "canvas" with faoundation, concealer, and powder, I am ready to create art with blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, ect.
  • Laura Vanderbooben 2012/11/24 17:08:12
    I don't know...
    Laura Vanderbooben
    +2
    i wasn't aware that they were, .... i thought it was the other way around. You're a gumph for not wearing it??????
    I don't know...
    +1
    Are they?
  • Elz 2012/08/30 01:08:40
    I don't know...
    Elz
    +2
    people just come off as ignorant. just because a girl wears makeup doesn't mean she's ugly she just want to enhance her look and fix herself up some. it's just a feminine thing.
  • The One 2012/07/11 04:51:08
    It's because...
    The One
    They look like whores?
  • ★☆Ams★☆ The One 2012/07/11 15:40:47
    ★☆Ams★☆
    +2
    Even women who barely wear any look like whores?
  • The One ★☆Ams★☆ 2012/07/12 01:55:31
    The One
    Yes. Women who barely wear anything look like whores!
  • SilveryRow 2012/07/06 12:04:58
    I don't know...
    SilveryRow
    +2
    ... I didn't realize they were
  • shywink 2012/07/05 22:35:14
    It's because...
    shywink
    +2
    It's because a lot of the time they cake it on. They can pile it on so heavily they look like hooker-clowns. Make-up is supposed to enhance a woman's natural beauty, not cover her whole face to make it look like some kind of mask. If they were more gentle about it they'd get better results and actually still look human.
  • Nikki 2012/07/04 15:33:04
    I don't know...
    Nikki
  • mwg0735 2012/07/04 04:57:07
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/04 01:05:39
  • sally 2012/07/04 00:27:23
    I don't know...
    sally
    +2
    I don't view myself as superior just because I choose not to wear makeup. I actually think that it's good that some women wear it because it makes them look better.
  • ScatterJoy! 2012/07/03 23:46:49
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/07/03 22:25:50
    I don't know...
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    +1
    Why are Women who choose not to viewed negatively? it's all about preference.
  • clasact 2012/07/03 22:02:13
    I don't know...
    clasact
    +1
    because I dont view them negitively.Now a woman who wears to much is another story but to use it to enhance one natrual beauty is fine with me
  • Jack 2012/07/03 21:26:51
    I don't know...
    Jack
    +2
    I didn't know they were! I thought all girls wore make-up? My girlfriend wears quite a lot, and she's pretty, with or without.
  • cmdrbnd007 2012/07/03 19:38:32
    I don't know...
    cmdrbnd007
    +1
    I don't know what you are talking about. I don't think they are. Now if it's taken to extreme then that might have a negative affect on people's opinions. http://domestica.typepad.com/...
    I don't know...
    +1
    I didn't know they were viewed negatively. Maybe the ones that put enough makeup on so it looks as though they used a trowel get negative comments but not the ones that use it conservatively.
  • Marianne ☮ 2012/07/03 18:49:16
    I don't know...
    Marianne ☮
    +3
    I can't stand it when girls criticize other girls for wearing makeup. They obviously wear it because they like how it looks, so leave them alone!
  • Jack's Pearl 2012/07/03 18:28:52
    I don't know...
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    I didn't know they were. I think rooting for natural is cool, but it's not meant to put down woman who wear makeup.
  • Tamara McMillan 2012/07/03 17:00:59
    I don't know...
    Tamara McMillan
    +1
    I do not see them being viewed badly UNLESS they are applying it incorrectly. Worn too heavy it can look like face paint and make others wonder what is hidden beneath. It can actually ruin your looks if done wrong. It is meant to enhance your natural beauty and NOT cover bad complexion. Bad complexion needs to be treated before the make-up goes on.
  • LunarRain 2012/07/03 03:04:42
    It's because...
    LunarRain
    +2
    People think girls who wear make up have confidence issues which isn't true.
  • Munster 2012/07/03 01:40:26
    I don't know...
    Munster
    +2
    Not sure, I don't wear make up and I have no problem if someone else chooses to. I think applied correctly, a woman could look stunning, applied incorrectly and...

makeup fail

makeup fail
  • Kaimeso 2012/07/02 22:39:10
    I don't know...
    Kaimeso
    +1
    Don't know, perhaps its because they focus on runway makeup of heavy users. For me, I like my makeup and won't be changing anytime soon.
  • soHotsoSmart 2012/07/02 21:52:18
    It's because...
    soHotsoSmart
    +1
    Its just when they wear too much too young. Wait until you are 18 top wear makeup girls.
  • ZERO 2012/07/02 21:11:09
    It's because...
    ZERO
    +1
    Look, there's makeup and then there's MAKEUP. If you're going to use it, for God's sake learn how to do it well.
    good makeup bad makeup

2014/10/25 05:32:54