Why are tattoos considered "unprofessional"?

Destiny 2010/12/10 06:43:27
Related Topics: Tattoos
I think people see them that way because...
In my opinion....

• Rainon 2010/12/10 06:57:28
    In my opinion....
    Rainon
    +4
    I think tatoos are a form of art. A form of expression. 'As long as visible tatoos say nothing derogatory they should be okay in the professional world. But of course thats not the case.

• Scarlet 2010/12/19 14:00:02
    In my opinion....
    Scarlet
    I see tattoo's as art, (Tattoo ARTIST, kinda supports my point here), but some people have that old stereotype against them. I reckon they're just personal expression, but that's not allowed in many professions anyway Xx
  • Masatone 2010/12/13 21:28:17
    Masatone
    Because people want to sound smarter then they already are. And having that in their mind it makes them dumber. Because some people dont think things through, they just go by what they heard, and say "oh i believe it." So they tend to miss the other peoples point of view.
  • . 2010/12/11 18:51:49
    .
    +1
    sometimes it may look digusting and ugly or sumthin (my mum says!)
    but i think its beautiful to look at, and hopefully when im 18 i shall get tattoos [:
  • nightlight 2010/12/11 03:39:42
  • 0_0 2010/12/10 22:31:29
    In my opinion....
    0_0
    It depends on where you work
  • KristineVonodomek 2010/12/10 22:02:49
    KristineVonodomek
    because they think that they are related to prison & stuff like that ..or at least that's what people had say to me when i said that i want one
  • wolf sloan 2010/12/10 15:51:37
    In my opinion....
    wolf sloan
    It makes one appear to be unable to resist peer pressure and calls into question one's ability to make logical choices and decisions. Not to mention their tastes.
  • Ginger ... wolf sloan 2010/12/10 21:59:57 (edited)
    Ginger Snapp
    why should peoples personal tasted be a factor when hiring someone?

that does not in anyway dictate their work abilities.
  • wolf sloan Ginger ... 2010/12/10 22:46:28 (edited)
    wolf sloan
    that's life....people are always being judged on their "personal tasted"
  • Ginger ... wolf sloan 2010/12/11 07:21:44
    Ginger Snapp
    picking at a typo?

lame.

you know verywell what i was saying
  • wolf sloan Ginger ... 2010/12/12 02:49:46
    wolf sloan
    tats and typos. You should not consider a career as a secretary. Personal tastes may not have anything to do with abilities but employers do take it into consideration. I've had to get a haircut to get some jobs. Some jobs have an image to maintain. Sorry, that's life. You'll figure that out one day. Presumably
  • demonz11b 2010/12/10 14:36:41
    demonz11b
    take a look to this tech company:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/dre...

look for: " Body Art - Of course our dress code prohibits tattoos "

In my opinion, tattoos are seen as a sign of emotion-driven personality. In corporate world, customers seek for intellect-driven personalities.
  • Lullaby_Munchkin93 2010/12/10 13:10:31
    In my opinion....
    Lullaby_Munchkin93
    idk. i have a tatoo but u can only see it if i wear a low cut shirt it is a heart tattooo
  • Melian Nienor 2010/12/10 13:09:08
    Melian Nienor
    dunno but that's why I have a tattoo I can cover up
  • Panloker 2010/12/10 12:23:42
    In my opinion....
    Panloker
    +1
    I think they are seen as unprofessional by the general public, whenever my husband ever attended a job interview he always has to be careful about what he wears because he needs to cover them up, but when he owned his own tattoo shop all the customers came from many walks of life, yes we had some shady fellows come in and get work done, but also we had lawyers, doctors and police officers come in and get work done. They are not unprofessional, just a matter of personal taste, but the fact that some people regard them as unprofessional is completely based off stereotypes.
  • Anthony- Claims Lizzie cuz ... 2010/12/10 07:34:49
    Anthony- Claims Lizzie cuz shes amazing =)
    +2
    Idk but its hard getting a job with tats, let me tell you. And a record on top of that ill never get a job XD. But ppl think its bad or w/e because tats have a bad rep.
  • pen pal 2010/12/10 07:05:50
    In my opinion....
    pen pal
    +1
    Maybe it has something with long term thinking. How is your tattoo going to look when you are 65? 85? Perhaps being professional means looking into the distance future and working backwards to where you are now. I don't envision the tattoo'd man as a CEO or banker.
    85 professional distance future working envision tattood ceo banker professional
  • Dixienc pen pal 2010/12/10 11:59:48
    Dixienc
    +2
    You really need to get out more. There are hundreds upon hundreds of Professional people with tattoos under those long sleeved shirts and nice suits. Having a tattoo does not mean the person is stupid or incapable of doing the job they're hired for. It has nothing to do with moving up in a company as your qualifications advance. And more and more companies are accepting this fact. It's far to easy to cover them up to refuse to hire someone that could be beneficial to your company. And many many are relaxing their past policies if the person is willing to wear that long sleeved shirt while at work. NOW don't get me wrong....the whole fact thing or the shaved head with FTW tattooed on your head is a bit out there. But just tattoos.......it could be considered discrimination if someone is not hired because they have a tattoo the person doing the hiring would never have known about unless told of it but a person with less qualifications is hired because they have NO tattoos.
  • Panloker pen pal 2010/12/10 12:24:21
    Panloker
    Im sure there are many though.
  • Darnel 2010/12/10 07:02:40
    In my opinion....
    Darnel
    +2
    It's because they are permenent,.. and with the exception of tats that hold meaning in regards to ethnic, racial, religious, or familial - They are seen as an example of choosing poorly.

If your tat denotes your position in your society, your status in your church, is recognized as a sign of your reaching adulthood,... then it is the rare person who can be offended.

Of course this is only my opinion.

Peace.
  • Rainon 2010/12/10 06:57:28
    In my opinion....
    Rainon
    +4
  • Eyebrowz² 2010/12/10 06:47:04 (edited)
    In my opinion....
    Eyebrowz²
    Depends on the profession....some professions feel that people who work for them are representing the company and do not want to be seen in any form of negative light, others jobs deal with face to face customer interactions and many companies prefer the people dealing with those customers carry a certain appearance, though in some professions it is acceptable, and is becoming increasingly more so.

2014/04/20 03:31:50