Why Are Native Americans Allowed To Build Casinos?

ProudProgressive 2011/02/06 16:24:35
Related Topics: Treatment, School, New York
I don't mean to be argumentative, and I honestly believe that the treatment that Native Americans have historically received from the United States of America has been abhorrent. The Trail of Tears should stand as an example EVERY American should learn in school (even in Texas) of how a government can exceed its values and cause irreparable harm to innocent people who simply come from a different culture than most of us.

But what I don't understand is why, in an effort to "preserve traditional culture", Native American "tribes", often a completely facetious and artificial construct, are allowed to build and maintain casinos. In some cases tribes have been CREATED for the sole purpose of enabling the construction of more casinos (for instance, in the Catskill region of New York State.) Was gambling part of the traditional Native American culture that European expansion wiped out? Did Crazy Horse own a slot machine? Was Geronimo a poker hustler?

So what's the story? How is maintaining a casino part of "preserving traditional Native American cultural values"?

• JanHopkins 2011/02/06 18:17:48
    JanHopkins
    +5
    For Gods sake let them have something. You're just lucky that they haven't demanded rent from you.

• Nik 2013/04/26 02:25:41
    Nik
    +3
    I live on a reservation that has created countless jobs in and around this reservation, I've seen useless drunk parents clean themselves up and get a decent job due to the ever growing casino that is here. They've donated to countless charities and organizations for our community to better the people here, they have helped off-set the cost of fuel for our elders during the winter months, I personally do not like casino's and they are CERTAIN NOT part of OUR CULTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but for what we have endured from the government and for what we have conquered through education, some of us have learned to pick a business and make it grow (ie. casinos) to that we are self-sustaining and hard working...with that they have also helped with the FUNDING for CULTURAL PROGRAMS for youth....
  • native 2013/04/25 18:43:55
    native
    +2
    mohamed. I dont know about every other tribe but most of our tribes are taxed. learn something before you any thing. tribes are taxed more than us citizens its not like were walking around with a million dollars. as for blacks getting treated badly you guys had an offer to go back to your home land most didnt go back but this land that all you stay on is native land. so i think casinos arent enough to say im sorry. we have tribes that had a lot of people but when different races came in we became less and less now there are barely any of us left.
  • Mohamed Said 2012/05/27 16:55:23
    Mohamed Said
    +1
    I'm african-american and most of my people were treated badly by the US Gov't too. Where is my Casino?! Lol jk but in all seriousness the Native Americans have had been treated unfairly by the US. Imagine someone breaking into your home, claiming it as their own, and almost wiping out your family. Casino isn't really a lot compared to what has happened before but I do still believe they still need to be taxed.
  • Linda 2011/02/27 19:15:42
    Linda
    It makes us self sufficient, creating jobs and since we can't take only what we need we have the paper green stuff to buy our food and build our own clinics so we dont have to rely on others, plus we have our own schools, fire departments and police..........

"DON'T WORRY WE HAVE TO PAY TAXES"
  • Tits ISHBAHFF McGee 2011/02/09 03:37:10
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    I don't know the answer. I don't know the entire legality of treaties and payments etc..
  • possiblymaybe 2011/02/07 01:10:09
    possiblymaybe
    What?!?!?!??!?! Are you out of your hotdamn mind? I'm not even going to answer you.
  • twocrows 2011/02/06 20:21:04
    twocrows
    oh, I just had another thought:
    it seems, from what I've read below, that you're mad that the Natives aren't paying taxes on their profits.

about a year ago, I learned that Connecticut's governor cut all state programs by precisely the amount they were due to receive from the stimulus packages. check it out, it's true.
    maybe you should check out what your governor did to ensure that those teachers weren't hired, that those highways weren't paved, etc. etc. etc.

one has to wonder, is SHE the one who is pushing the idea that the Natives are getting away with something?
  • Cantus_bird 2011/02/06 19:24:19
    Cantus_bird
    +2
    In this day and age it's all about business and profit. What will generate a large sum of income in a short span of time, especially for those on reserve land. The Casinos themselves create jobs for people on the reserve as well. It can generate other businesses as well for our people. Maintaining and preserving traditional Native American cultural values is up to the reserves themselves. It's about time that the Native Americans start to become independent on the reserves, especially to gain some distance from a past that is often a painful memory. Time for the Native American to move on ....
  • hattah 2011/02/06 18:36:31
    hattah
    +3
    Financial stability for their community. Also doesn't hurt the state's coffers. I don't believe it has anything to do with their culture but if they have something like this it goes a long way toward preserving their communities and caring for their people.
  • JanHopkins 2011/02/06 18:17:48
    JanHopkins
    +5
  • Lady Wh... JanHopkins 2011/02/07 14:04:05
    +2
    I SO AGREE!
  • Prime Time Lime 2011/02/06 17:30:06
    Prime Time Lime
    +3
    I think there is another angle why they build casinos.Money comes from the casinos and goes to the tribes and make them financially stable.This way the government does not have to pay them back what they owe them,after stealing their land and putting them on reservations.They cannot live on the small paychecks they are entitled to get from the government as natives.
  • ProudPr... Prime T... 2011/02/06 17:59:37
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    No native American is restricted to a reservation. If they choose to go to New York or Los Angeles or anywhere to seek a better life nothing stops them. That they choose to live on a reservation, and thus limit their own economic opportunities, is not the responsibility of the United States government.

And frankly, my main problem is not with the casinos themselves, but with the fact that these facilities that take in many millions of dollars annually don't pay taxes. A casino in the middle of Connecticut (Foxwoods) derives the benefits of interstate highways that allow people to easily visit them. It gets its electricity from power plants in the United States. If a fire breaks out, it is the State of Connecticut that pays the salaries of the firemen who respond.
  • Prime T... ProudPr... 2011/02/06 18:12:39
    Prime Time Lime
    I agree that natives can live anywhere they want,and all get a small monthly stipend from the government.I know there is still prejuduce in the US and many cannot get good jobs because of it.One way to repay them for their hardships of the past is not to tax the casinos ..I do not know about the situation in Connecticut and cannot comment on that.
  • hattah Prime T... 2011/02/06 18:55:41
    hattah
    I think there are still hard feelings here in Maine but I think they come mainly from the people who live in the areas that abut Tribal Land or was turned over to the Tribes. I doubt southern Maine gives them a thought. Much like Southern Maine thinks that nothing exists above Waterville.
  • hattah ProudPr... 2011/02/06 18:45:04
    hattah
    Hmmm. I didn't know that those casinos were not taxed. I know one way the Tribes here in Maine tried to sell state gov't on allowing a casino was the fact that the state would also benefit from the proceeds ~ through taxes. But this hasn't been in the news here for quite awhile now and the casino that is going to be built was a ref. vote that won by a very close margin.Close enough so that there was a recount. And it isn't the Tribes building it.
  • Angel ProudPr... 2011/02/06 21:29:46 (edited)
    Angel
    +2
    Being part Indian myself and having been an art director in South Dakota Native American Indian reservation I will say that until you have spent any reasonable amount of time among the villagers as I did, I just think you can't imagine the kind of life our government over time, many actions and non-actions, promises kept and reneged on have done not just to many people but to multitude of cultures, traditions, and generations.

What the government and the native people have tried to do is a far from perfect marriage of neighbors. To start to making the wrongs right again not everything is always fair. I would imagine if what was done to the native people was done to the rest of us living in the United states, some of us if promised an area of land to try to keep our people together, our American sense of culture intact, our traditions alive....perhaps a bit on the backs of the rest of the tax payers dime... I think some of us like them would also take being free on their own land with limited economic opportunities rather than being swept away in a land and world that has long overlooked them.

As to the point of it not being a responsibility of the United state government... should they only help their own? Who's land is this really? Perhaps if the United states is not good enough to feel responsible to help, but maybe as fellow human beings are Native Americans worth helping a little more.
  • twocrows 2011/02/06 17:29:37
    twocrows
    +2
    your question is invalid on its face. the US cannot ALLOW them to do anything. or forbid them from doing anything. they are sovereign nations and can do what they wish. I would guess they would wish to pull their people out of poverty. and ---- it's working.

as to your [probably facetious] question about gambling being part of their heritage: I'll bet you can't point to a single culture on the planet that hasn't practiced gambling. slot machines aren't necessary, obviously. just present two possible outcomes of a single event and people everywhere are off to the races [pun intended].
  • hattah twocrows 2011/02/06 18:16:18
    hattah
    twocrows I think (respectfully) it depends on the state they are located in. The Tribes here in Maine have had no luck whatsoever~whether it is building a casino or what have you. They are Sovereign Nations here unless of course it comes under the heading of State Sovereignty~ then they are out of luck. Very unfair.

I took a Native American studies course a few years ago when I was lucky enough to be able to pick something other than a degree course option. :) The prof. is Native American/ Bear Clan and he told us that many other Tribes in the country had said that they would NEVER have settled for the Indian Land Claims settlement here in Maine.

If state gov't would allow this it would be good for ALL Mainers. I don't get what in hell their problem is with it. They want to help their people/children and they are taxpayers as far as I know. I feel like disallowing this casino,etc. is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The thing that really irks me is that now there is a casino going up ......and guess who isn't doing it? Tribal Indians in Maine. Not fair.
  • twocrows hattah 2011/02/06 19:47:01 (edited)
    twocrows
    +2
    agreed, hattah. some states are, once again, denying the natives their sovereignty as it suits them. I never said our government wasn't hypocritical.

added: actually, much the same thing happened in Missouri. the Natives there wanted to start a casino. the Republicans whipped up the "moral whatever" group to rail against gambling -- equating it with 'Indians with a drinking problem'.

the real reason they were denied their own casino was that it would have competed with the riverboat casinos that were springing up at the time.
    guess who were developing those?
  • hattah twocrows 2011/02/06 19:53:34
    hattah
    Pretty damned sad isn't it?
  • Venus in Furs 2011/02/06 17:22:16
    Venus in Furs
    I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to. After how poorly they were treated, and still kind of are, shouldn't they be allowed the same chance to make a profit? I mean life on the reservation isn't great for them. This at least benefits them...
  • ProudPr... Venus i... 2011/02/06 17:29:35
    ProudProgressive
    I admit it's hardly a "black and white" issue (no racial comment intended LOL). And I probably would have less problem with it if they simply paid the same taxes that casinos in Las Vegas or Atlantic City do. But they DO get the benefit of being physically in the United States - like not having to build their own sources of electricity, use of interstate highways, no requirement for passports, etc. And they do CHOOSE to live on reservations. Any native American is free to move to Chicago or New Orleans or anywhere they want to if they seek a better life.
  • Venus i... ProudPr... 2011/02/06 17:48:00
    Venus in Furs
    +1
    I'm sure that some of them do choose to live on reservations but most of them are poor there and their reservations are on land that is often harsh or unsuitable to live in. Take for example Monument Valley--while it has been the backdrop for many Westerns and it is one of their sacred places, it is also where some of them chooose to live. That doesn't mean that the land isn't harsh. And yes, they do choose to, I'll bet, but that's probably because they'd rather be poor and with their family than poor and alone in a city.
  • ProudPr... twocrows 2011/02/06 17:31:25
    ProudProgressive
    Fair enough. So why don't the casinos pay taxes? Certainly they benefit financially by not having to build their own electrical plants, raising their own police and fire departments, using interstate highways, etc. It just seems to me that the present arrangement grants Native Americans certain privileges that the rest of the country does not have, but fails to impose any of the responsibilities that go with those privileges.
  • emmamess ~ In My Conscience... 2011/02/06 16:45:47
    emmamess ~ In My Conscience I Trust ~`
    +1
    one word - sovereignty!
  • ProudPr... emmames... 2011/02/06 17:01:54
    ProudProgressive
    OK then, I suppose it's all right. By the way, when are these "tribes" going to build their own electric plants, raise their own police and fire departments, and when are they going to apply for passports when they leave their "sacred ground" and enter the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?
  • 1234567... ProudPr... 2011/02/06 17:16:08
    12345678910
    +2
    Why should they have to? This is their country to begin with.
    When are we European "anchor babies" going to repay them for everything they've lost?
  • ProudPr... 1234567... 2011/02/06 17:32:14
    ProudProgressive
    I was born in Brooklyn, New York, as were both of my parents. I am as much a "Native American" as Crazy Horse was. Yet I can't build a casino in my back yard.
  • emmames... ProudPr... 2011/02/06 17:18:55
    emmamess ~ In My Conscience I Trust ~`
    In the area I live in - they do contribute much to the surrounding communities.
  • maggiemay 2011/02/06 16:44:22
    maggiemay
    +1
    It's tribal land, and they can do whatever they want on it. it is a way for them to make money, and employ their people. Preserving Traditional Culture does not mean they need to live in Tepee's, and go hungry.
  • ProudPr... maggiemay 2011/02/06 17:04:11
    ProudProgressive
    No, but given that they enjoy all of the benefits of US citizenship (like access to electricity, clean water, police, fire, highways, etc.) is there no obligation whatsoever to respect US laws? If a given tribe decided to import African Slaves, would that be perfectly acceptable, too?
  • 1234567... ProudPr... 2011/02/06 17:17:06
    12345678910
    +3
    Respect US laws.
    When did the United States ever respect law regarding its dealings with Native Americans? Never.
  • twocrows ProudPr... 2011/02/06 17:20:17
    twocrows
    +1
    it is decidedly NOT a given that they "enjoy all of the benefits of US citizenship."
    take a trip to a reservation sometime ----- THEN come back and tell me they enjoy the benefits you take for granted. I dare you.
  • ProudPr... twocrows 2011/02/06 17:32:50
    ProudProgressive
    Those who live on reservations choose to do so. There are no fences keeping them in.
  • Kat ProudPr... 2011/02/06 19:10:58
    Kat
    +3
    As I have scrolled down to read this conversation, I see you continue to say "they choose to live on the reservations". There blood fought and died for them to have that land. There are stipulations for them having it too. They can never sell it, nor can they give it away. If they choose to move from it, the land becomes the Federal Governments. Would you just give up your family's long fought for land? No, I think not. It is the ONLY land in this country that the US Federal Government DOES NOT OWN, with the exception of individual land owners that are so sanctioned by the FED right now, they can't piss in thier backyard without a ticket for indecent exposure. But the Natives can :). They are NOT American citizens under the government. They are concidered "free americans". They had to fight to be able to have these cassino's they own to be able to take care of their children and families and tribes. These cassino's did not come EASILY for them. If you think it did, you are wrong. Do your research on what it means to be a "Free American". And did you know, that any white person or black person or any other race, that wants to live on a reservation and be apart of the tribe, has to denounce their citizenship? Same for anyone coming off of it, only they have denounce their tribal...
    As I have scrolled down to read this conversation, I see you continue to say "they choose to live on the reservations". There blood fought and died for them to have that land. There are stipulations for them having it too. They can never sell it, nor can they give it away. If they choose to move from it, the land becomes the Federal Governments. Would you just give up your family's long fought for land? No, I think not. It is the ONLY land in this country that the US Federal Government DOES NOT OWN, with the exception of individual land owners that are so sanctioned by the FED right now, they can't piss in thier backyard without a ticket for indecent exposure. But the Natives can :). They are NOT American citizens under the government. They are concidered "free americans". They had to fight to be able to have these cassino's they own to be able to take care of their children and families and tribes. These cassino's did not come EASILY for them. If you think it did, you are wrong. Do your research on what it means to be a "Free American". And did you know, that any white person or black person or any other race, that wants to live on a reservation and be apart of the tribe, has to denounce their citizenship? Same for anyone coming off of it, only they have denounce their tribal rights and except the Federal Government. Didn't know that did you? You are so jealous of them that you can't see straight. And yet, they have barely NOTHING, and you have EVERYTHING. And apparently you feel that they should let go of their blood herritage and just hand it over the to the government. YOU have no idea the horror they STILL go through in today, for the war of the government is STILL upon them.They are the OWNERS of this land, THE TRUE KEEPERS OF THIS LAND. And I have MORE respect and honor for them than I do for any other race that walks this Earth. Especially my own. I love the fact they have the cassino's. This is how they have been surviving and raising their children. This is how they feed themselves. But let me tell you a little more. The tribal councils are NOT just Natives. The government sits in ON ALL OF IT. Many of the tribes since they have had the cassino's have been ROBBED by these Americans that sit in on their councils. That is why they are STILL POOR and STILL STRUGGLEING. If you had gotten involved with them, gotten to know them, you would know all of this yourself. As it was suggested, go and see a reservation for yourself. Before you make any further decisions on how they are so "ROYALLY" treated. They are still murdered, jailed, and abused. You think their electricity is so great? When they don't PAY for their electricity, the company doesn't just come out and and shut them off. OH NO, they take the WHOLE METER! These natives freeze in the winter and suffer MANY deaths because of it. YOU NEED TO BE EDUCATED.
  • twocrows ProudPr... 2011/02/06 20:08:21
    twocrows
    +1
    those who can afford to move away may do so. many can't afford to. or prefer to live near family. or have a myriad of reasons for making that choice. so we should condemn them to grinding poverty because they want to stay near their families? seriously?
  • Linda ProudPr... 2011/02/06 21:53:20
    Linda
    +3
    When the reservations were created they had no choice but to go. The are part of the United States but yet seperate, you ignorant ass. They own nothing and can't sell or rent.
    They pay for the electricity and water and food or anything else. They own nothing except for the head on theyre shoulders and the government does not give them a damn thing. The only way they get good clean water on some of the rz's is they have to walk 5 miles or longer and get it from a well and sometimes they run out. This is because if you don't sign over your mineral rights they do not allow priveleges of having fresh water or seweres or stoves to cook on. You are ignorant and stupid as hell, you need to go to some of the rz's and find out the truth. Hell no they don't choose to live there but they have no way out...... NONE!!!!!!!!!! It has not changed since Columbus and I wish to hell my ancestors had never fed or nursed his fat drunkin ass back to health. You know NOTHING............ I am a Native American and before you start saying we have a choice you need to make sure you know what your talking about. "YOU DON'T KNOW THE TRUTH" YOU ARE TALKING OUT OF YOUR ASS............. I THINK YOU HAVE JELLO FOR A BRAIN BECAUSE YOU DAMN SURE DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Cherokee/Apache/Creek
  • Kat Linda 2011/02/06 22:07:38
    Kat
    Right on!!! He is talking with a tounge that knows nothing. And I am talking about the tounge in his brain, for he is typing and not actually talking :) LOL. I wish people like him would do their OWN homework, and care about a people and get to know them before they just spouting out at the mouth. People like this I will never understand, and CHOOSE NOT TO. Well said my sister :)
  • Linda twocrows 2011/02/06 22:01:24
    Linda
    +3
    twocrows,
    I also dare the ignorant. If he does not know what he is talking about he needs to keep his damn mouth shutttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!...

2014/11/26 04:10:57