Why are girls starving themselves to be thin?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2011/03/24 15:08:30
Related Topics: curves, Jessica Simpson
In a day and age where people like The Kardashians exist....and Jessica Simpson, an d Tyra, and lots of others who are celebrating the beautiful curves they were born with....Why do some still persist in Dying to be thin.

• Bill G53 ~PWCM~JLA 2011/03/24 19:08:18
    Bill G53  ~PWCM~JLA
    +7
    It's not known specifically what causes some people to develop anorexia. As with many diseases, it's likely a combination of biological, psychological and sociocultural factors.

Is it Hollywood and pictures of skinny models? No. Anorexia and other eating disorders existed centuries ago, suggesting that sociocultural values aren't solely responsible.

The reality is that all people are different and the diagnosis is far beyond "one-answer-fits-all" and is best left to trained medical professionals.

By the way, obesity is another eating disorder but why then do I have more sympathy for the anorexic than the over-eater?
    trained medical professionals obesity eating disorder sympathy anorexic over-eater fat women

• Nick 2013/09/01 07:54:07
  • AndyBoy 2012/08/02 18:42:19
    AndyBoy
    Personally, I prefer very large, obese women to date.
  • justrita AndyBoy 2013/10/08 07:43:36
    justrita
    +2
    hi im a ffw and i had rather be this way then any other way its all how ya feel about yaself!!
  • hannah_gee_arr 2012/01/09 18:22:49
    hannah_gee_arr
    +1
    i think it is discusting and wrong to starve yourself in the name of looking (what is considered) 'attractive'.
  • chief 00 2011/03/30 17:16:04
    chief 00
    Because they think thin is in when it really isn't.
  • KinnUzumaki 2011/03/26 15:17:03
    KinnUzumaki
    they are mad! look at me i never starve myself lol
  • Adam 2011/03/25 17:31:41
    Adam
    Because though we are capable of transcending out genes, genes are still increadibly powerful. And our Genes program us to be sex factories, and everything else is just to enable us to be better sex factories. Realistically, being overweight is a larger problem in this country then being too thin: The horrible, unhealthy beanpoles are certainly just asking to die young, but it is far more common to die from a fat-induced stroke, and even more likely to be ignored by the opposite sex because you could stand to lose a few pounds. And so, some people overcompensate. Personally, I think we are on the right track: Body image is improving in media. But it isn't perfect yet, and change will take time.
  • LesWaggoner BN 1 2011/03/25 04:53:48
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    They think thin is cute. It isn't.
  • wtxwoman 2011/03/25 02:59:34
    wtxwoman
    Because they are mentally ill and don't see themselves like they really are.
  • jitko 2011/03/25 01:41:04
    jitko
    +3
    There are probably almost as many reasons as there are anorexics, but from what I've gathered some feel they should literally disapear. Decades ago someone wrote a very insightful memoir on the subject. What I've realized is obesity and anorexia are twin sisters whose mother is self-devaluation.
  • Psykhê 2011/03/25 01:29:42 (edited)
    Psykhê
    +5
    Eating disorders rarely (although, I'm sure there are exceptions) have anything to do with weight control or being thin. Those who suffer to such extremes for what are seemingly very superficial reasons, often struggle with much deeper emotional/psychological issues that manifest themselves in disorders like these.
  • XxxThexAftermathxIsxSeconda... 2011/03/25 00:39:17
    XxxThexAftermathxIsxSecondaryxxX
    +2
    one it's a sickness and another thing, do you see very many models who are curvy? That's what i want to be too...thin. It's like it's not in fashion anymore to be curvy sickness models curvy fashion curvy marylin monroe curvy
  • WTLC1970 2011/03/25 00:05:54
    WTLC1970
    +2
    Pics of MODELS
  • ThePurpleHaze 2011/03/24 23:44:14
    ThePurpleHaze
    +2
    Because they are to stupid too realize that they could just exercise and eat healthy.
  • Mrs.H 2011/03/24 22:08:54
    Mrs.H
    +5
    Because the media portrays only stick thin women as being beautiful, it's horrible.
  • Jana~ una chica loca 2011/03/24 22:05:59
    Jana~ una chica loca
    +2
    cause they're stupid! j/k it's just partly. they starve themselves because they have been told that they are fat so they just focus on that one comment. media should really STFU and we should really not be able to see bones on models. they need to gain a little weight.
  • The Potato Princess 2011/03/24 21:59:45
    The Potato Princess
    +2
    You answered your own question. To be thin. Why do they want to be thin so badly? Because the media is throwing those images at them.
  • Jack's Pearl 2011/03/24 21:42:33
    Jack's Pearl
    +4
    It's a true sickness. A misconception that is deadly. It's very sad.
  • Chibi 2011/03/24 20:47:17 (edited)
    Chibi
    +3
    Because girls want to be liked and feel beautiful. The media and a lot of guys think that skinny is beautiful, so everyday girls go to extremes to have the barbie type figure.
  • micheleT BN-O 2011/03/24 19:39:33
    micheleT BN-O
    +3
    I have no idea, I am tring gain weight
    Bill G53  ~PWCM~JLA
    +7

• jitko Bill G5... 2011/03/25 02:03:50
    jitko
    Because the overeater uses up way more resources. While the anorexic quietly starves herself to death, the obese person consumes and fills up more and more space. In a consumer-based economy, we have EMpathy (as opposed to sympathy)--and self-loathing for the over-eater.
  • Monkey's Uncle 2011/03/24 18:51:34
    Monkey's Uncle
    +2
    Because they're stupid idiots.
  • Sin 2011/03/24 18:27:15 (edited)
    Sin
    +2
    I don't know why others do it, but I'm losing weight(not starving) because I find fat to be disgusting. I'm not some media nut who wants to look like everyone else, I just want to be very skinny because that's what I find attractive. And from what I understand, everyone wants other people to like what they look like. Right? lol
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2011/03/24 17:39:33
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +2
    They see it everyday!
  • K-ZOOMI-----0 2011/03/24 17:30:53 (edited)
    K-ZOOMI-----0
    +2
    Because media portray that what a MAN wants is bones.

Guys like me are ignored cause I prefer my women to have curves.

Remember when this was sexy?

becuase media portray bones guys women curves remember sexy marilyn monroe sexy
  • Assassi... K-ZOOMI... 2011/03/24 20:48:32
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    Still is
  • jitko K-ZOOMI... 2011/03/25 01:46:57
    jitko
    +1
    Seems far fewer men than women are suceptible to being told what is sexy. I don't know any man who thinks skinny is sexy and know many women who do.
  • K-ZOOMI... jitko 2011/03/25 01:51:36
    K-ZOOMI-----0
    +2
    The ironic thing is if women would actually listen to what men want, bones would never show.
  • BrianD3 2011/03/24 16:31:02
    BrianD3
    +3
    I am not sure......

ladies, I like a woman who has all the right curves. A woman that looks like a woman!!

dont want no sad sack of bones that looks like a 12yo alter boy.........
  • Angie 2011/03/24 15:30:51 (edited)
    Angie
    +2
    Well it's only NOW Simpson is, and now Tyra is but it took them to hit maturity (or the light bulb went on whatever) to realize that they should be happy with how they are made et all others.

People are dying to be thin bc society tells us you can't be fat, our peers do, the opposite sex does, our family, etc.

You have to put in that people can also be born pre-disposed to think negatively about themself and once you shove all the above in your face it can tear a persons ego right down to where the person doesn't know who they are or who they are supposed to be.

For me, it started at home. Continued through my schooling by both my classmates and my family and it wasn't until 9 yrs ago when I had my first born did I realize I needed to be a healthy role model. I had a great support network who saw me for who I am, a husband who tells me I'm beautiful everyday but it's stiill hard to rip about the other 25 yrs of being called Fat, Miss Piggy etc and even when I went Bulimic I was praised.
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2011/03/24 15:28:08
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +4
    Well it's a sickness... and then you add that the media calls Simpson and Tyra fat... it's not a good combination. Designer clothes, models, all are made to fit women who are stick thin. The Kardashians are the exceptions... not the rule.
  • Assassi... Melicio... 2011/03/24 15:33:16
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    This is true....
  • PonToki 2011/03/24 15:24:12 (edited)
    PonToki
    +3
    Because the media portray "beautiful" and "desirable" women as being thin. Its hard to maintain a healthy and positive image about your own body when you're constantly faced with images and media portraying something so different from yourself. Not to mention you don't hear very many guys raving about curvy or bigger girls like they do thin ones who look perfect in a bikini.
  • Aingean 2011/03/24 15:16:05
    Aingean
    +3
    Personally I think it partly how they seem themselves and partly what others tell them they see. It doesn't help when doctors like to tell you are overweight and you are thin.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/03/24 15:14:02
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +5
    because stupid TV shows and movies show women as stick figures
    and you know what i dont like stick figure women
    i like big women
    i am a tall man very muscular i happen to enjoy a full figured woman

stick figure women women tall muscular enjoy figured woman bbw stick figure women women tall muscular enjoy figured woman bbw stick figure women women tall muscular enjoy figured woman bbw stick figure women women tall muscular enjoy figured woman bbw sexy
  • Bill G5... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/03/24 19:01:11
    Bill G53  ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Anorexia and other eating disorders existed centuries ago, suggesting that sociocultural values aren't solely responsible. In addition, overeating is another form of eating disorder.

This is NOT sexy...
    values solely responsible addition overeating form eating disorder sexy fat women
  • Meagan~BN-0~ 2011/03/24 15:09:50
    Meagan~BN-0~
    +2
    I think because there are people out there who tell them Oh you're fat, whenever they get mad.

2014/09/01 21:35:45