Who's Less Moral, Men or Women?

Women are still lagging behind men in at least one area ... rule-breaking. According to recent studies, men have lower moral standards than women, especially when they have to defend their manhood, Scientific American reports.

Studies show that men are more likely than women to minimize the consequences of moral misconduct; to adopt ethically questionable tactics in strategic endeavors; and to engage in greater deceit, Scientific American reports. In other words, whether you're engaging in a business deal or choosing a life partner, you might be better off trusting a woman.

Guys are especially likely to be "immoral" in when success means proving their masculinity -- and yes, the workplace and the playing field both come to mind. But we have to wonder: Are guys more likely to engage in this sort of behavior because they're still more likely to be competing in these arenas than women? Or are men intrinsically more immoral? What do you think?

• Aingean 2012/06/21 20:22:23
    Women
    Aingean
    Im sure it is closer to 50/50. Depending on how people look at it. There are horrible people of both genders.
  • Bronar 2012/06/21 19:54:51
    Men
    Bronar
    I am, of course, not speaking for myself.
  • AM 2012/06/21 19:41:34
  • ★misfit★ AM 2012/06/22 02:32:35
    ★misfit★
    What about the pimps and clients of the prostitutes? What about the people who go to see the strippers? They are equally guilty and overwhelmingly male.
  • JAA AM 2012/06/23 04:14:49
    JAA
    I think men & women are about equal when it comes to immoral behavior.
  • J 2012/06/21 19:26:51
    Women
    J
    +3
    I have to disagree with this report. Why? Having witnessed it different in my near-50 years of life. Women are just sneaky - and not only that but I'm thinking they are a lot more likely to lie on a poll question about their "morality" and virtue. I know both will lose their virtue during certain instances, but men are open (most of the time) about their transgressions - women are NOT. (And yes, I am a woman -0- with 3 brothers and 6 sisters)
  • Isha Dwesar 2012/06/21 18:08:58
    Women
    Isha Dwesar
    +4
    men can be bad, but a few punches later, it's forgotten. girls can just be plain BITCHY.
  • Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2012/06/21 17:08:57
  • Naked 2012/06/21 16:23:06
    Women
    Naked
    +7
    I'm choosing women to level the playing field a bit. I'm pretty sure it's closer to 50/ 50 then people here would lead you to believe. Immorality doesn't have gender.
  • Riobhca 2012/06/21 15:07:38
    Women
    Riobhca
    +1
    Women are much less moral. It's a myth that men are that is perpetuated by men-hating women. Certainly not all, but it seems that most women have the morals of an alley cat. This is one reason why our society is falling apart. Women have abdicated their position as the guardians of morality.
  • JAA Riobhca 2012/06/23 04:18:57
    JAA
    Men & women BOTH are to be "guardians of morality". I think they both come out pretty equal, however, in the propensity for immoral behaviors. Men tend to see them as trophies, & women tend to try to hide theirs, hoping no one will think badly of them. Many people, too, don't see gossiping, maligning, & back-stabbing as being immoral. Women & gay men are way better at those behaviors than men. Men tend to be more immoral where it comes to sexual activities.
  • Simms 2012/06/21 14:22:22
    Women
    Simms
    +2
    86% of women voting on this chose men as less moral?
    Yet men were 50/50.
    Hmmmm...
  • JAA Simms 2012/06/23 04:20:30
    JAA
    If you read the comments by the women, though, you'll find that they are SAYING 50/50. There should have been a third choice in the answers, "both are equally immoral".
  • Stephen 2012/06/21 13:44:09
    Men
    Stephen
    Unfortunatly, Being a man in most mens opinion means breaking the rules and/or bonds that restrict us. And the dumbing down of America isn't helping matters any. I say, Be man enough to study what you preach and then form an informed opinion. If you want the facts on just about anything now a days..... Just google it. :)
  • SundayStoleYourCookieDough 2012/06/21 13:40:24
    Women
    SundayStoleYourCookieDough
    +5
    Take this from me, there is nothing nastier, meaner, or morally lacking than a teenage girl with backup .3.
  • JAA SundayS... 2012/06/23 04:21:10
    JAA
    lol, you're probably right.
  • SundayS... JAA 2012/06/23 12:07:03
    SundayStoleYourCookieDough
    Thanks. o3o I'm pretty sure I'm right, having endured it myself and everything
  • JAA SundayS... 2012/06/23 16:19:05
    JAA
    Keep in mind, though, before you get on your moral high horse, that "boys" have their own set of mean, nasty, & immoral deficiencies. ;-)
  • SundayS... JAA 2012/06/24 19:29:16
    SundayStoleYourCookieDough
    I understand that. o3o But if a boy doesn't like you, he more or less makes it obvious. The girls I've seen just yoyo all the time and make you believe they like you, then ditch you, then do it all over again and

I may be wrong though, this is just based on personal experiences
  • JAA SundayS... 2012/06/24 20:02:25 (edited)
    JAA
    +1
    I agree with you, but you're only looking at one issue associated with girls, & you're not considering at all the men who are "players", duplicitous, or who have anger management & sexual promiscuity issues. All of those are associated with immorality.

I'm assuming you are a teenage lesbian? I don't mean that to be condescending at all, but you did state your opinion as being based on personal experiences, & it seems your experiences are based on one issue & having to do with girls ditching you (or whomever). Older adults would have many more experiences to draw from.
  • SundayS... JAA 2012/07/05 13:38:33 (edited)
    SundayStoleYourCookieDough
    +1
    Sorry, I didn't see this for some reason. .3. Damn you sodahead y u no show replies

That is true, I guess. .3. You do make a good point, and i'm not sure how else to answer that. I think the main problem is that i've been homeschooled all my life and as such the only experience I really have with boys is my brother and the guys at drama club, the latter of which are generally ncie guys (is a little annoyin) and the former...is my brother. So I don't actually have that much expereince with guys at all, and being that my mother is a somewhat biast feminist I'm really not sure if what she says about men is ture or not.

Yes to the teenage, no to the lesbian. o3o I'm not entirely sure what I am yet but there's definitely some heterosexuality in there somewhere |D The dtiching referred to friendships more than relationships; I didn't make that very clear, did I? What I meant was that I've had a lot of girls call myself their friend and then next week they're ignoring me or being nasty and then there's me with no clue what I did wrong. .3. I've not actually been in a realtionship...I have tried but the last guy who asked me out...was a bit old for me. o3o

EDIT: Happy late July 4th btw
  • JAA SundayS... 2012/07/06 16:51:13 (edited)
    JAA
    +1
    Thank you for your humor & well-reasoned response. I bet you're a "good girl". Don't buy into your mom's "feminism" until you do research yourself, and please, please, please CHANGE "FRIENDS"!!

There are males & females out here (well, maybe not too many on SH, lol) who have good values & manners. They ARE becoming extinct, but if you work on being the BEST person YOU can be, you will attract a better quality of people. I didn't find any "true North" people until I met the person who was to become my husband at the ripe old age of "19" (& we've been married almost 39 yrs), and if people are being honest with you, they will tell you that in your lifetime, you will be fortunate & blessed if you are able to find one or two true friends who will support you through thick & thin, & who will be honest with you, even if it hurts momentarily.

Do what is right, no matter how others' perceive you, because you will never have any regrets, & later in life you will stand out as a role model & mentor for others who have not been so fortunate to get good advice or mentoring when they were young.

In regard to dating, here's my advice (yea, I know you didn't ask, lol, but I'm not charging for it, so ...: 1) Don't date anyone you wouldn't consider marrying, because you can't always help who you f...&

&&

In regard to dating, here's my advice (yea, I know you didn't ask, lol, but I'm not charging for it, so ...: 1) Don't date anyone you wouldn't consider marrying, because you can't always help who you fall in love with (that love is only temporary, because it's based on emotions), 2) It's not a matter of FINDING the "right" person, but BEING the right person so that you will recognize each others' souls when you do meet, & 3) Don't have sex with ANYONE but your husband, because every person you have sex with prior to marriage, is the baggage you bring to the "right" guy; this destroys marriages.

Hope that helps, & I hope you had a Happy July 4th, & I wish you a good weekend!
  • SundayS... JAA 2012/07/07 12:36:57
    SundayStoleYourCookieDough
    +1
    Thank you. (:

Not sure what to say to any of this o3o apart from that. Thanks for the dating advice, I was intending to do 3 anyway. Not a teen mom sort of girl.

As much as I try to listen to my mom I kind of have to take some of the stuff she says about guys with a pinch of salt if you will; I think she exaggerates them a little.

Anyway thanks, I'll definitely take this on board~ <3
  • JAA SundayS... 2012/07/08 11:19:19
    JAA
    +1
    You're welcome! I think you're a good girl & are humble (teachable) enough to go far in life, with integrity & a good character, even when the easier route would be to fall in step with the rest of the world that is allowing itself to be flushed down the proverbial toilet. Take care!
  • SundayS... JAA 2012/07/08 13:07:00
    SundayStoleYourCookieDough
    +1
    Ahaha thanks, that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me for a while o3o Thank you~
  • Dzeeng 2012/06/21 13:16:46
    Men
    Dzeeng
    +3
    obviously
  • HiYa 2012/06/21 13:07:54
    Men
    HiYa
    +3
    Society is much harder on women who break rules than men. I am not a fan, but Martha got a raw deal...
    martha stewart in jail
  • Christo... HiYa 2012/06/21 18:21:42
    Christopher Kirchen
    I would agree with you if she didn't have a "nyah nyah" way about her, like she knew she got off light, but she does.
  • Empathic 2012/06/21 10:18:40
    Women
    Empathic
    +4
    Of course, it depends on how you define morality. But men seem on average to be more honourable, women tend to discard promises, fairness and honesty if that helps them get what they want.
  • jerry.alan.carroll 2012/06/21 08:38:10
    Women
    jerry.alan.carroll
    +3
    actually I want to say is it nearly dead even, but after watching TV last night, i decided that today's women are less moral.
  • salama_hady 2012/06/21 06:16:29
    Men
    salama_hady
    Woman is more moral as it is her main task is to Give Love, Mercy, kindness and time to her children, parents, friends, ..
    We have a Hadith (from the prophet Mohamed) , Paradise is the waiting home of Mothers (at the end of their earth's life)
  • Dave 007 salama_... 2012/06/23 15:23:21
    Dave 007
    REALLY????
  • M. Aronson 2012/06/21 06:06:13
    Men
    M. Aronson
    +3
    This practically defines a "no-brainer." Men, by FAR, are the ones who perform criminal acts far more often than women do. Men are way more likely to use violence (perhaps because they aren't as advanced verbally as women are, BY AND LARGE. Yes, of course there are exceptions.) I think that men are more dependent on an outside force to curb their impulses, to stop them from acting like morons, whereas women are more likely to listen to that inner voice that tells them to behave. So, who's less moral? Men. No contest.
  • Captain... M. Aronson 2012/06/21 12:41:39
    Captain Pikachu ~ CEO of HTFO
    +1
    That stereotype isn't true with all or even most men, and the whole "verbally advanced" thing is just made up. Besides that, how do you explain all the vicious women in the world? There's still a percentage of violent, blood thirsty women who listen to said impulses and like to kill. You can say men are more LIKELY to be immoral, but men aren't necessarily more immoral. Even though a higher percentage of men are more immoral than women, I would say a higher percentage of men are more moral than women also. You have to take in account all the male police officers, religious leaders, and charity leaders. Whether or not it's due to a "sexist" world, there's still more of them that are male than female... and I don't really think you could label them as violent and immoral.
  • J M. Aronson 2012/06/21 19:30:37
    J
    +1
    Women are a lot more likely to lie, to gossip (immoral), to "fess up", etc.
  • JAA M. Aronson 2012/06/23 04:36:03 (edited)
    JAA
    Women tend to gossip, malign, and lie more than men, & I think they all are about equal in the areas of unfaithfulness, inability to keep promises, etc. Women are probably more the cause of men's violence, lol. Women may not be known as "morons", but I can promise you that on the whole they are just as stupid as men, & definitely more gullible & easily deceived.

I guess moral relativism comes into play when answering questions like these. If one doesn't think certain things are immoral, then they're not likely to assign those behaviors to someone. IMO, men & women are equal when it comes to immoral behavior.
  • JAA M. Aronson 2012/06/23 04:43:33
    JAA
    Not all immoral behaviors are "criminal acts".
  • Dave 007 M. Aronson 2012/06/23 15:26:04
    Dave 007
    So what you're saying is that women are saints and men are the devil. REALLY????? And that's why women listen to their inner voice and POOF we have tons of "GIRLS GONE WILD VIDEOS".
  • Flowerangel71 2012/06/21 05:08:20
    Men
    Flowerangel71
    +2
    Speaking from my personal experience men tend to be more care free.
  • J Flowera... 2012/06/21 19:31:39
    J
    And women just lie about what they do/don't do.

2014/09/01 21:17:42