Who Talks More, Men or Women?

At risk of sounding stereotypical here, it does seem like women gab a whole lot more than men do. But according to a recent study, POWERFUL men talk more than powerful women do. Ah.

Here's the latest, brought to you in the Administrative Science Quarterly by Yale faculty member Victoria L. Brescoll:

--In a study of United States senators, more powerful male senators talked a lot more than less powerful male senators. But powerful female senators did not talk more than less powerful female senators. What gives?

--An analysis of a similar experiment suggested that powerful women hesitated to talk more out of fear that they would be seen as less likable, "out of line," domineering and too controlling, and that they would lose power and be less effective. Was this study taken in the 1950s or what?

--In a third study, talkative male CEO candidates were rated as more suitable for leadership than less talkative ones, but quieter female candidates were rated more highly. Ladies, it seems like we still have a way to go toward that glass ceiling -- even in Congress!

• Heaven 2012/06/27 16:26:48
    Women
    Heaven
    +5
    I'm a girl and I know I talk a lot especially if you're a teenage girl. Girls have to give their opinion while boys sit back and just take whatever is thrown at them until they get ticked off.

• Eyes Se... xxx 2012/06/28 02:13:41
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    You gotta do what ya gotta do I guess, theres lots of ways of getting them to shut up, I am sure if you want t you will find a way, but if you feel like you are letting people discuss there issues which might help them, good for you, and them...
  • xxx Eyes Se... 2012/06/28 02:17:16
    xxx
    +1
    what can I say? I'm a nice person =)
  • Eyes Se... xxx 2012/06/28 02:23:55
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    Me too, but I see nice as not letting someone talk too much.
    When I talk too much, I hug the first person to stop me, I dont know enough people that would show the same gratitude.

"The brave people who would allow themselves to be seen as cruel people just to preserve someone elses dignity are our true heroes, and deserve our gratitude"
  • xxx Eyes Se... 2012/06/28 02:28:08
  • Eyes Se... xxx 2012/06/28 02:36:07
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    The stupid need to be stopped :)
    I was once an open book, I discovered a while back that I am actually one of the mysterious people. maybe ever. Just when someone thinks they know me, they can find out something new that could change there enitre view of me. I have seen peoples jaws drop, and eyes pop many times before because of this, I wish people knew me better like you :( But it bothers me when someone thinks they know me when they do not.

Were do you work? These people sound deeply troubled.
    Are you aware that many people talk a lot more in the presence of an attractive woman or man or someone who makes good eye contact? (they feel a need to impress)

I have encountered people before who continued to talk even after I walked out of the room (they talked louder, while I used this time to laugh, guilty pleasure).

If your BF lets you talk as much as you would like, you can be sure he is a keeper :)
    If he really listens and engages you, you will probably want to marry him.

I am one of those guys, I thought I was just an average guy, but found out when I was 16 that I was apparently 1 in a million, you would think I would be happy, but I was actually upset so many women had to live with less than that.
  • Eyes Se... xxx 2012/06/28 02:48:18
    Eyes See Wide North
    It would seem judging by the length of my last post, you would have me talking too much aswell :L
  • mae Eyes Se... 2012/06/28 21:08:46 (edited)
  • Eyes Se... mae 2012/06/30 02:52:35
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    There are good men everywhere who would never let a man put his hands on a woman, if there is not, then there is no hope for that place. But dont expect the worse like you have
  • mae Eyes Se... 2012/07/01 02:10:48
    mae
    +1
    I don't have to expect it. It already happens. Not all males are as well-mannered as you.
  • Eyes Se... mae 2012/07/01 13:58:48
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    I am not always as well mannered, my personality is who I am, my attitude depends on you, human rule
  • mae Eyes Se... 2012/07/01 18:03:27
    mae
    +1
    ...do you believe you have control over your attitude?
  • Eyes Se... mae 2012/07/01 21:00:45
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    Yep, complete, as long as i stay calm and think, nothing can change my attitude, in real life anyway. (Here everything offensive I say is taken as normal, people seem to understand my intentions are good)

Do you feel you do?
  • mae Eyes Se... 2012/07/01 21:18:00
    mae
    +1
    I am ultimately the controller of my attitude. Despite others intentions to influence me, I am the one who decides what attitude to take. Peaceful, happy, with just a touch of sass here and there is generally where you'll find me.
  • Eyes Se... mae 2012/07/02 00:48:23
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    I am the same, but I also put the people in around me in the same mood (I play the songs to set the mood, I run clubs so I get to play it so they cant ignore, and even in my home, and when we are out we have music, I always find ways to set the general mood and feel of things.
    I guess this could be called controlling, but I am easy and often go with other peoples setting, I think somehow I see this more clearly than most people, so I know how to keep it under control even when in the hands of someone else.

Do you do anything like this?

I sometimes take a few steps back, I am an artist and often I let everyone know I am going to stand back and mostly, laugh at them (I always look for humour), people notice this and I can effect people even more from a distance, which is unfortunate because mostly I go to distance to get some peace.
  • mae Eyes Se... 2012/07/02 01:05:52
    mae
    +1
    It's true, we do have some similarities, but I like peace and quiet, so have learned to choose my fights, and most of them aren't worth the effort it takes to fight, so I fall back and regroup, because there is Always another way, sooner or later--and it always turns out better than if I had pushed my way through.
  • Eyes Se... mae 2012/07/02 08:08:33
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    I am good at running too, I can be caught off guard (20 men can approach me at anytime with cruel intentions) so I must always be ready to run. When I make an entrance, my eyes scan my best exit within seconds.

When I am faced against someone with a weapon and I too am showing my weapon, I can stay calm, keep them at a distance, look them in the eye and leave.
    Sometimes they chase, sometimes they understand that leaving the situation is best for everyone. Of course there are often things at stake that need to be fought for, I am just as ready to face those same 20 men if I must.

I always thought myself normal, but I think I have become something of a James Bond in peoples eyes, Im still the same person, I am just aware of my capabilities as I have experienced them.
  • mae Eyes Se... 2012/07/03 17:45:56
    mae
    +1
    Wow, bad neighborhood? You're 2 months younger than my middle son...Ever consider police work?
  • Eyes Se... mae 2012/07/05 06:40:50
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    No (well grew up in one of Dublins worse) but everywhere I go I am surrounded by a mixed crowd of people, I dont see any safe place, but I feel comfortable everywhere.

By the way, thats why they have ghettos all over the world, to make people feel like there not in a bad neighborhood, nothing but a fairytale, everyone is evil.
  • Eyes Se... mae 2012/07/05 06:41:59
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    Oh and I did not, I never saw police in a good light, I do some type of law enforcement s as good, but unfortunately police today have it so wrong I just cant see them doing any good in society.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/06/27 23:47:24
    Men
    Bibliophilic
    +4
    I don't know and I don't particularly care. I talk when I must or when I have something interesting to say. It's cliched and stereotypical to claim that all women are blabbermouths and all men are the 'strong silent type'. Ridiculous!
  • Eyes Se... Bibliop... 2012/06/28 01:10:57
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    These are the questions I was referring too, it makes people look bad when they try to add there opinion on this question, there is no good opinion here, only a biased one
  • Jenna ☮♡ッ 2012/06/27 23:42:08
    Women
    Jenna ☮♡ッ
    No contest.
  • Eyes Se... Jenna ☮♡ッ 2012/06/28 01:12:28
    Eyes See Wide North
    There is no contest, because our gender has no effect on how much we talk...
  • jackie 2012/06/27 23:28:18
    Women
    jackie
    I would say women because most do.I am a quiet person and I also have no friends, I only have a dad and I barely talk to him. I dont talk a lot.
  • Silversnake 2012/06/27 23:23:21
    Women
    Silversnake
    Always talk and never listen
  • Eyes Se... Silvers... 2012/06/28 01:11:55
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    Say that to every woman you meet from now on, prick.
  • Silvers... Eyes Se... 2012/06/28 01:44:05
    Silversnake
    I do but they can't hear me over the sound of their own voice.

And besides, I've learned by now that the wise don't need to be taught and the fools are too stupid to listen. Which I guess makes this comment to an imbecle like you rather useless, actually
  • Eyes Se... Silvers... 2012/06/28 01:48:04
  • Silvers... Eyes Se... 2012/06/28 01:51:30
    Silversnake
    Me and women don't usually get along. But when it gets physical, trust me, she's always the one who ends up with a broken jaw

And what's ignorant is the fact that you don't even see the true nature of women. I guess you may not have had as much experience with them as I've had
  • Eyes Se... Silvers... 2012/06/28 02:16:07
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    So you hit women? If you ever find yourself in Ireland, will make sure you let me know? And if I am in America, I will go out of my way to find you.

I have plenty of experience, and unlike you, they love me. I am constantly surrounded by women who are friends, many of these women defy the "nature" you so ignorantly believe to be true, I will make sure they get to put there high heels through there head when we meet, and we will meet.
  • Silvers... Eyes Se... 2012/06/28 16:21:00
    Silversnake
    I never understood what the uproar was about with not hitting women. Is it because sometimes they're physically weaker? Does this somehow mean that they can't harm you, and that self-defense against them is wrong?

And I doubt we'll ever meet. But who knows? I meet all kinds of interesting characters like yourself in the psych hospital where I work
  • Eyes Se... Silvers... 2012/06/30 02:55:48
    Eyes See Wide North
    I would only hit a woman who was trying to inflict REAL damage on me, I have let women hit me slaps, digs, kicks, when they come at me with a weapon I take it off them (but I have good reflexes).

I think for someone like you, when a woman tries to hurt you, just run, it would fit your cowardly persona.

Nice crazy joke, my feelings are hurt so much that I might kill myself -.-
  • Silvers... Eyes Se... 2012/06/30 15:22:28
    Silversnake
    That's a thoughtless thing to say. How does knowing that women talk more than men make me a coward? And if I were truly a coward, would you need to tell me to run? Doesn't not running mean I'm not a coward, if running would be a cowardly thing to do?

And of course I only hit women in self-defense and only when it will solve the problem. But if, like you said, some woman were trying to knock me out, I'm not going to just stand there and let myself get a broken nose.

Sorry if my lack of letting myself become a victim to a weaker person offends you
  • XRenX 2012/06/27 23:21:03
    Women
    XRenX
    +1
    In general, there have been studies to prove that.
  • Eyes Se... XRenX 2012/06/28 01:13:01
  • hannah 2012/06/27 23:14:51
    Women
    hannah
    +1
    meh. theres really not a requirement. some men can talk as much as the next woman. and some women can talk as much or as little as some guys. so it really ultimately depends on the person.
  • Angelic Kitty 2012/06/27 23:01:57
    Men
    Angelic Kitty
    +2
    I am a girl and the people at work forget I exist because I rarely talk, most of the big talkers I know are men.
  • Eyes Se... Angelic... 2012/06/28 01:14:36
    Eyes See Wide North
    Men definitely talk themselves up more than women, as a woman, it is your job to ridicule a man when he tries to talk himself up.

If another man tries it its gonna get ugly, but when a girl (especially an attractive one) does, the man is at a loss of words.
  • lorenab. 2012/06/27 22:58:44
    Women
    lorenab.
    +1
    this is really a question!!:D haha women deffinitely win!!:D haha
  • Eyes Se... lorenab. 2012/06/28 01:15:15
    Eyes See Wide North
    Why dont we have a dislike button?

2014/10/02 06:24:06