Who Talks More, Men or Women?

At risk of sounding stereotypical here, it does seem like women gab a whole lot more than men do. But according to a recent study, POWERFUL men talk more than powerful women do. Ah.

Here's the latest, brought to you in the Administrative Science Quarterly by Yale faculty member Victoria L. Brescoll:

--In a study of United States senators, more powerful male senators talked a lot more than less powerful male senators. But powerful female senators did not talk more than less powerful female senators. What gives?

--An analysis of a similar experiment suggested that powerful women hesitated to talk more out of fear that they would be seen as less likable, "out of line," domineering and too controlling, and that they would lose power and be less effective. Was this study taken in the 1950s or what?

--In a third study, talkative male CEO candidates were rated as more suitable for leadership than less talkative ones, but quieter female candidates were rated more highly. Ladies, it seems like we still have a way to go toward that glass ceiling -- even in Congress!

• Heaven 2012/06/27 16:26:48
    Women
    Heaven
    +5
    I'm a girl and I know I talk a lot especially if you're a teenage girl. Girls have to give their opinion while boys sit back and just take whatever is thrown at them until they get ticked off.

• FIDAN Ylee 2012/06/28 11:52:17
    Women
    FIDAN Ylee
    for example me i really talk too much
  • waterny... FIDAN Ylee 2012/06/28 11:54:38
    waternymphxD
    +2
    SURE ya don't;)
  • FIDAN Ylee waterny... 2012/06/28 12:04:40
    FIDAN Ylee
    +1
    HAHAH :)
  • Dave**Gay for Girls** 2012/06/28 11:46:49
  • Diamond Girl 2012/06/28 11:37:18
  • Dave**G... Diamond... 2012/06/28 11:43:14
  • Leyla 2012/06/28 11:19:43
    Men
    Leyla
    I believe that men can talk more than women if you agree.
  • kay29 2012/06/28 10:49:10
    Women
    kay29
    Just because most women are labeled chatty doesn't mean that we all are. I actually hate talking, I would prefer to listen than talk. I mean, thats kind of stereotypical.
  • selena costa 2012/06/28 10:08:20 (edited)
    Women
    selena costa
    yep, but i don't talk much at all.
  • Playerazzi 2012/06/28 09:06:05
    Women
    Playerazzi
    Why is this even a question?

But you should know, that women need this. It's the way they are.

It can be annoying to us guys at times, but hey dudes:

DEAL with it !!
  • Fenabarb 2012/06/28 07:40:05
    Women
    Fenabarb
    even underwater
  • Dezpanther 2012/06/28 07:34:17
    Women
    Dezpanther
    Sometimes they get anoying though. :o
  • Elizabeth 2012/06/28 07:17:42
    Women
    Elizabeth
    Especially when it comes to gossip and rumors.....-.-" luckily I'm not that kind if girl. I'm actually pretty quiet, (for a girl) XDDDDD
  • Women
    ṃεταllïс_ḋќ[сhατвøχ]
    I know several men that a talk a lot but for the most part women do tend to talk more.
  • pofmaster 2012/06/28 06:33:43
    Women
    pofmaster
    women talk much
  • John 2012/06/28 06:08:08
    Women
    John
    +2
    I know a few guys that can out do women but only a few. For the most part women are the champion talkers. I know a couple of them I can't stand being around. They can't stand being off of their cell phones no matter where they are.
  • Kaola 2012/06/28 05:41:41
    Women
    Kaola
    Women even talk about their closest friends at that moment when they have just left apart from me.
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2012/06/28 05:35:56
    Women
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    ....One time I have nothing to say....
  • Harley Squiggles the God \(... 2012/06/28 05:28:56
    Women
    Harley Squiggles the God \(#o#)/
    What kind of question is this?
  • TheOxymoron 2012/06/28 05:16:42
    Women
    TheOxymoron
    It's a scientofically proven fact that men's vocal cords are harder to use;this makes them talk less in most cases.
  • Silent Bob 2012/06/28 05:11:25
    Women
    Silent Bob
    I was like then he was like and I was all like OH MY GOD! She did not! So then I was like and she said what?! I was so done with her. So then I was LIKE OMG!
  • RasHooD 2012/06/28 05:11:07
    Women
    RasHooD
    women: yady yady yada, bla bla bla. ger ger ger and this and that with him and her.
    men :-_-
  • Empress 2012/06/28 05:11:05
    Women
    Empress
    I can only speak for myself.
  • 2012/06/28 05:03:21
    Women
    It's a known fact that women generally talk more. I don't, but I've known some who can never stop talking.
  • Amanda Lorraine Bickett 2012/06/28 04:58:56
    Women
    Amanda Lorraine Bickett
    Not afraid to say it. XD but honestly... Who cares xD they both can talk a lot. But if u talk alot cuz ur nervous I would think that on a guy would be ADORABLE xD
  • Wulfdane 2012/06/28 04:57:30 (edited)
    Women
    Wulfdane
    This is like a no-brainer.

Women love to yap and I don't mean that in a mean way, it is just the truth.
  • exhon2009 2012/06/28 04:54:10
    Women
    exhon2009
    Unbelievable that this would even be in question.
  • tankbunny 2012/06/28 04:52:38
    Women
    tankbunny
    In human history women talked more. As gathers of the plants, we (women) talked and gossiped while men had to be silent as they hunted
  • Boo! 2012/06/28 04:49:09
    Women
    Boo!
    +1
    But we can multi task so its all good!
  • Brony4Life 2012/06/28 04:44:58
    Men
    Brony4Life
    +2
    As a guy I can vouch that we talk A LOT. At least among ourselves. And we get LOUD too.

Then again, maybe girls just don't like talking to me...

forever alone
  • Just Je... Brony4Life 2012/06/28 06:41:30
    Just Jenn for Now
    Hey I like talking to you!!

Then again I guess people we grow up with don't count... lol!
  • 22rexy22samo 2012/06/28 04:34:10
    Women
    22rexy22samo
    i may be a girl but i know i talk alot. guys they sit back say sure watev. and stop talking. where as we would be like yea sure i like that we should totally do that. yea.
  • Kidasha 2012/06/28 03:53:31
    Women
    Kidasha
    men don't talk enough! hahaha
  • Raphy 2012/06/28 03:42:31
    Women
    Raphy
    WOMEN. But my coworker would talk you to death. He's the type that would cut you off if you're talking to him. It has happen to me so many times.
  • mazzy 2012/06/28 03:36:42
    Women
    mazzy
    +2
    Definitely women!!! I mean come on!! I have people tell me every day to shut the hell up cuz I talk too much ;) there's nothing wron with that tho!!! Boys almost never talk!!
  • rand 2012/06/28 03:29:41
    Women
    rand
    The speech area of their brains and their interhemispheric connects are larger. But talking more doesn't necessarily yield greater information.
  • Drug Free 2012/06/28 03:27:03 (edited)
    Women
    Drug Free
    +1
    Women tend to be more gossipy with one another as compared to men more often than not.
    That is OK but you have to listen to the substance of their conversations and you soon realise that a lot of what they are talking about is near worthless, silly talk amongst girls which they seem to have an insatiable apatite for.
    All in all it is "girl talk" and it is fairly repetitive in its content and substance.
    The latest gossip, bashing and complaining about other women, complaining about a long list of subject matters, "always complaining about men", family matters ( some important aspects) latest fashion ( interesting enough) always talking about themselves and their looks and other womens looks and how lucky those other women are and a long list of more or less unproductive subject matters and female interests that men find boring and or have to endure if you are around a lot of yak-kitty-yak gossipy women and girls.
    Naturally women think men talk a lot about a whole lot of nothing also but if you listen to what men talk about there is a much wider range of subject matters and or interests....but commonly does not include the numerous female interests and subject matters that women love to talk about or believe is important to them.

There is man talk and there is women talk.

...

But... if you ask: Who nags more and moans more and complains more and criticizes more and bitches more all the time and comes with an attitude...then women are the undisputed authorities.

Other than that...if women want to achieve the same or similar status as men then they have to start talking like men and thinking like men and be able to hold a conversation with men concerning a much larger variety of subject matters and interests and actually know what they are talking about and prove it when challenged.

When you meet a women that is well versed in a long list of subject matters and interests and likes to talk a lot about a variety of subjects ( besides girly girl subjects ) you have to wonder where she learned all that she does know and you come to realise that most of it came from information that originated from men in some form or another, directly or indirectly.
  • Cognito22 Drug Free 2012/06/28 04:23:47
    Cognito22
    +4
    OMG, shut up.
  • John Cognito22 2012/06/28 06:12:05
  • Cognito22 John 2012/06/29 03:10:39 (edited)
    Cognito22
    It was a joke. (reference the topic if you don't get it)
    Yours wasn't.

2014/10/31 13:46:29