Who here has faced addiction, like drugs, alcohol or anything else, and has one piece of advice that really helped you?

Jack's Pearl 2012/03/15 11:59:56
Is there some exercise (physical or mental) that you do? Some piece of advice that helped? What helped you the most? Anyone answer who has faced and beaten or still working on some sort of addiction.

• Willie 2012/03/17 06:16:58
    Willie
    +1
    Don't do drugs, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke.

Really. After a medically supervised detox, I went to 12-step meetings, therapists, new age healers and churches, I read all kinds of books, communed with nature, and tried a couple of kinds of diets. I learned a lot, but what it boils down to is this: whiskey doesn't pour itself down my throat. If I don't pick the stuff up, I'll stay clean. And I've stayed clean, 21.5 years and counting.
  • Jack's ... Willie 2012/03/17 15:12:53
    Jack's Pearl
    Awesome for you! :)
  • kitkat42 2012/03/15 21:50:06
    kitkat42
    +1
    I was addicted to cigarettes for over 40 years. I quit hundreds of times each day. I successfully quite one day by just stopping and using my own will to be free. It's been over 4 years now.
  • Jack's ... kitkat42 2012/03/16 03:19:58
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    Awesome! Good for you and never giving up on getting rid of them cigs. :)
  • justnotsaying (: 2012/03/15 21:15:54
    justnotsaying (:
    +1
    I haven't, but I do know that alcohol and medication makes a deadly combination. I guess the only way to avoid it...is to know we care, and would be hurt, if anything happened to you. :)
  • Jack's ... justnot... 2012/03/16 03:20:59
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    I hate to think of it as deadly, but yes, it could be. One of the side effects is slowing down brain function. I wonder if that is why I pass out and can't be woken? Possibly. It's really not good.
  • justnot... Jack's ... 2012/03/17 16:15:31
    justnotsaying (:
    +1
    That could possibly be why. Sorry I couldn't be much help.
  • Jack's ... justnot... 2012/03/17 16:20:33
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    No, you made an excellent point. Thank you!
  • justnot... Jack's ... 2012/03/17 17:19:04
  • Mr.Reasonable 2012/03/15 14:57:52
    Mr.Reasonable
    +1
    "You're not really drunk, 'till you have to hang on to something, to keep from falling off of the earth."

2. To avoid hangovers; Stay drunk.

3. Stop using and leave more for me. ;p
  • Jack's ... Mr.Reas... 2012/03/15 15:12:14
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    I can leave more to you. LOL
  • Lucy Sparkles :3 2012/03/15 14:54:00
    Lucy Sparkles :3
    +1
    this isn't going to sound like an addiction but it is; i was addicted to purging (throwing up) to try to make myself skinny. it worked but it made me so unhealthy i almost died. i admitted myself into rehab and have been out for a few weeks but i still struggle with it.
  • Jack's ... Lucy Sp... 2012/03/15 15:12:57
    Jack's Pearl
    That is a type of addiction and skewed view of health. You are so strong to get yourself help. Keep working on it. Never give up on yourself. Hugs!
  • Lucy Sp... Jack's ... 2012/03/15 15:17:45
    Lucy Sparkles :3
    +1
    Hugs! thank you so much(:
  • METALheadMom 2012/03/15 14:30:13
    METALheadMom
    +1
    Unless someone HAS DIRECT EXPERIENCE, they really have no business advising. What I finally did, was sit down with a pen and pad of paper, and listed how much MONEY I completely wasted, all the things I pawned or sold, all the bills I didn't pay, and all the relationships that failed BECAUSE of drugs or alcohol (alcohol addiction is just as serious).

I could have EASILY bought a house with that money. Whatever you get for your money, doesn't last long enough, or add anything GOOD to your life, it does the exact OPPOSITE. Unless you're brain dead, or masochistic, it doesn't make SENSE to keep doing sh** that will destroy your life.
  • Jack's ... METALhe... 2012/03/15 14:41:58
    Jack's Pearl
    I agree with you on ALL points. Thank you so much. :)
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2012/03/15 14:14:57
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +2
    As someone who knows someone who dealt with addiction, after dealing with it so long, I finally had to cut the person off, it was that tough love that finally made them go get help
  • Mr.Steve 2012/03/15 13:56:47
  • Roblem BN-0 2012/03/15 12:51:13
    Roblem BN-0
    +1
    I am sure there is not one thing that works for every person. Recovery can come in different forms. For some... they can use their religion to help them. Others can just quit cold turkey and go about living their lives. For many of us a program of some sort or another will save (or has saved) our lives. Hitting some type of bottom is usually the catalyst. Loss of jobs, house, jail time, etc.

Fortunately for me I never had to face jail but I used for many years of my adult life starting at about the age of 14. I was "powerless". It took me 22 years before I finally admitted that I needed help... I finally admitted that I could not do it on my own. I got involved in NA (narcotics anonymous). That was 13 years ago. It is a simple program but not an easy one. 12 step work is an excellent tool for recovery and one piece of mine. There are several pieces that when put together will give a person a chance at a new life... most importantly a new way to think and accept life as it comes.

What worked for me:

1. The first step was realizing that I needed help to change
    2. A desire to actually change.
    3. Attending meetings on a regular basis. Here I found listening to others stories one of the most valuable tools for my recovery. When we are truly listening we are not obsessively think...

What worked for me:

2. A desire to actually change.
    3. Attending meetings on a regular basis. Here I found listening to others stories one of the most valuable tools for my recovery. When we are truly listening we are not obsessively thinking. Many of us have OCD (at some level) and will obsess to the nth degree. We are are own worst enemy in our heads. Also, one addict knows and understands another... and the pain and destruction we have caused in ours and in others lives. Sharing our story. Support!
    4. Belief in some type of higher power.
    5. Prayer/mediation - because at 2:00 am when the pain is great and the phone isn't working for you... it is only you and that higher power. I have said the serenity prayer 10s of thousands of times. "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
    6. Service - to help others which helps us to feel better about our selves... and another way to get out of our own minds.
    7. A sponsor (or mentor)... a person who could help as a guide.
    8. Working the 12 steps because that helped me to learn about myself, which in turn helped me to integrate new tools to cope with life without using.

Each of these were/are part of my foundation of recovery, without which I don't know if I would be alive today.

There are addictions to things besides drugs and alcohol... such as work. You know that term workaholic... well there is a reason for that term. Taking things to the extreme can have negative effects. I think basically it is a way to avoid our own emotions (pain, fear, etc) without our even knowing it because we never learned the tools to deal with life as it comes. Many of us had traumas and started self medicating. Some people may use drugs and alcohol every day and still may not be addicts. They can truly quit at any time. There are many, many people who simply can't quit because they don't have coping skills or the support needed and/or have the dreaded addictive personality.
  • Jack's ... Roblem ... 2012/03/15 13:38:03
    Jack's Pearl
    Thank you so much for your time and great response. Lot's of good advice there.
  • Roblem ... Jack's ... 2012/03/15 16:14:55
    Roblem BN-0
    +1
    You're more than welcome. I am not "cured"... only changed my thinking and my way of life with the help of all the powers that be. From reading here you may not actually be an addict. You are the only one who can answer that. For many of us there is no choice... self destruction has/had become a way of life. So many of us relapse... 80% is the statistic. Because it is not easy. I have endured a lot of pain since getting C&S and it is a miracle that I don't think of reaching for destruction the same way I used to. I am so lucky and when things are looking bleak (as they have recently) I can hold on to the fact that my mind has changed, again, with lots of help. Having my daughter helps too. ;-)

I wish you the best!
  • Ron 2012/03/15 12:02:37
    Ron
    +2
    Love yourself more than you love your addiction.
  • Jack's ... Ron 2012/03/15 12:17:29
    Jack's Pearl
    That's a great way to change your focus. Because the addiction can take precedence in your mind. But you turn the tables when you say that to yourself.
  • Ron Jack's ... 2012/03/15 12:20:54
    Ron
    +1
    It isn't an easy thing to do for addicts but it is essential to beating an addiction. And it works better than any 12 step program.
  • Jack's ... Ron 2012/03/15 13:41:22
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    Ron, because of meds I take I should not drink alcohol. But I have found myself drinking it more then ever. :( This may be in part because the meds I take stop me from feeling the effects as well. I don't realize when I've had too much. I go from fine to passed out in an instant. I can that is.

Anyway, I just got back from the store and of course, without thinking I found myself carousing the wine section again. Wasn't finding anything I wanted but I kept on looking. Of course I had sort of a sick feeling thinking this isn't good for me. Then what you said popped into my mind. "Love myself more then the addiction," and I left. No problem whatsoever. I just got to remember your simple advice. :)
  • Ron Jack's ... 2012/03/15 14:03:40
    Ron
    +1
    Stay strong and remember you are your priority not your addiction
    Smile
  • Jack's ... Ron 2012/03/15 14:08:43
    Jack's Pearl
    I'm just happy it worked today. Day by day. :)
  • Ron Jack's ... 2012/03/15 14:13:52
    Ron
    +1
    The saying "one day at a time" may come from AA but it's not a bad one to remember, and never beat yourself up if you slip. If you do want a drink,,, have one and stop.. if it's not a habit then you can enjoy it when you do have one.
  • Jack's ... Ron 2012/03/15 14:25:38
    Jack's Pearl
    Yes, I've never been to an AA meeting and not interested, but I do think day by day is a good way to move forward when you struggle. It's making one choice at a time. And I agree about not beating myself up if I have a drink. Actually that doesn't bother me. It's the times when I abuse it that do. I need to quit that.
  • Ron Jack's ... 2012/03/15 14:30:34
    Ron
    +1
    Recognizing a problem is always the first, sometimes the hardest step,
    I'm sure you'll do okay. Have a great day!!

2014/08/23 05:40:33