Who Has the Most Influence on Back-to-School Purchases?

GMR 2012/06/15 22:34:40
Summer is here, but soon enough students will be heading back to school. Of course, it's always a good idea to get as much of that back-to-school shopping done as you can ahead of time, but that's not always how it pans out. There's so much ground to cover, and classes have a tendency to creep up on you. Before you know it, you're sitting in math class without a calculator. Not an ideal situation, but hey. Sometimes that's just how it goes.

Whether you're a current student or the parent of a student, we want to know about your back-to-school shopping habits. Do you always manage to get it out of the way before school starts? Do you have your kids buy their own supplies? Who influences the purchase decisions? Take our 10 question Quick Poll and let us know. We'd love to hear from you!

• Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/06/19 13:10:36
    Students
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    I buy whatever I like to write with.
  • Kaola 2012/06/19 11:31:10
    Parents
    Kaola
    +1
    Mama you didn't buy me new notebooks... parents have the most influence also waking up prepare their children fr school.
  • Death On Two Legs 2012/06/19 07:31:33
  • Krystle 2012/06/19 06:06:35
    Parents
    Krystle
    +2
    My mother did all the shopping. Clothes and all, only when I reached high school did I pick my own clothes.
  • Kyle 2012/06/19 03:07:45
    Parents
    Kyle
    +1
    They are always on my ass when it comes to school related things. I don't mind though because it's saved my ass more than once.
  • beach bum 2012/06/19 02:42:55
    Parents
    beach bum
    +1
    parents
  • ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆ 2012/06/19 01:32:25
    Parents
    ☆Warthog - PWCM - JLA☆
    +1
    Specificly, Mom.
  • Pookie 2012/06/19 01:14:58
    Teachers
    Pookie
    +1
    Hey, sodahead?
    Yeah... you.
    Friggin buzz off for a month and a half.
    k?
    thanx.
  • Cman8900 2012/06/18 23:48:15
    Parents
    Cman8900
    +1
    Hey, they're the one's bringing you out for 2 hours for a backpack.
  • starlight 2012/06/18 22:56:07
    Parents
    starlight
    +1
    well im only allowed to get pencils and pens, and paper with a folder and a binder thats it. I hate how in highschool you have to wait along time until you get the list and by that time everything is hard to find!
  • barby karring 2012/06/18 22:06:27
    Teachers
    barby karring
    +1
    Leaning in the teacher's direction; since they know exactly what tools and supplies are needed to get schoolwork done.
  • Taxman 2012/06/18 19:58:06
    Teachers
    Taxman
    +1
    The teachers at my children's school has told us not to label any of the supplies. Apparently, they all get stored together and shared by all. Why would I by the quality scissors if my child gets to use the cheap set...the pen with spotty ink....the pencil that looks plastic. I have found myself buying the cheapest out there. If this is going to be the case, have the teacher by the supplies and divide the cost.
  • T A Taxman 2012/06/23 09:52:40
    T A
    Label them anyway. You bought them, they're yours. It's not a commune.
  • Taxman T A 2012/06/30 17:40:29
    Taxman
    That would make too much sense! Ha
  • Michelle 2012/06/18 19:57:17
    Students
    Michelle
    Dammit, I still have three days and then three exams to write! Don't talk about going back, yet. :(
  • Shadow_Wolf 2012/06/18 19:27:09
    Teachers
    Shadow_Wolf
    +1
    The summer just started, shouldn't we hold back on this for a bit.
  • Beatriz 2012/06/18 17:48:21
  • dvd 2012/06/18 17:00:31
  • Lanikai 2012/06/18 16:04:00
    Teachers
    +1
    We get a list. A very restrictive list, what name brand, what color, how many, what type, and that list is what we buy school supplies from.

Our school only uses certain name brands, which makes it very standardized and eliminates brand envy. We also have a uniforms, dress code policy, and shoe policy. Students get sent to change or sent home with a behaviour violation. So, we just follow the rules.
  • Kyle Lanikai 2012/06/19 03:11:14
    Kyle
    +1
    I've heard of some strict schools but Jesus Christ the only thing missing from that list is what kind of toilet paper you can use.
  • Lanikai Kyle 2012/06/19 14:18:20 (edited)
    LOL, well, it cuts out most all of the BS that public schools have to deal with. This allows the kids to just focus on learning-not name brands or lack of supplies, or whatever. They just focus on learning.

Also, a stricter dress code keeps everyone covered so there is not chatter. It really is a better way to run a calssroom.
  • santa6642 2012/06/18 15:13:26
    Parents
    santa6642
    The payer,
  • Xinea 2012/06/18 13:46:54
    Students
    Xinea
    +1
    At least at my high school. I mean my math teacher will recommend a type of calculator, but if you need a teacher to help you realize you should get pencils, notebook paper, pens, and a means of organization like a binder, I worry for you.
  • Flyingbug Xinea 2012/06/19 22:47:54
    Flyingbug
    Sometimes, there's a specific sort of pencil, and you won't know that till you get there.
  • Xinea Flyingbug 2012/06/19 23:45:56
    Xinea
    Are you thinking about some type of art school? For the most part you're safe with anything HB .02
  • Luna Wren 2012/06/18 13:34:44
    Students
    Luna Wren
    +1
    We know what we need. Why are we talking about this? Its still June! Some people are just finishing school...
  • Arianne 2012/06/18 09:26:54
    Parents
    Arianne
    They follow the list but when the kid needs/wants extra and they have the money...
  • BubblyBlonde 2012/06/18 08:55:57
    Teachers
    BubblyBlonde
    But I don't mind. I like back-to-school shopping. :)
  • Pele Emerging 2012/06/18 06:46:48
    Students
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Teachers usually have a supply list. Students do need to get the stuff on the list--it's considered sort of a minimum you'll need, but after that, parents will usually give their kids a whole lot of latitude. Need folders? Of course you won't get the cheaper plain ones. Kids will choose the puppies or super heroes or rock stars or whatever. Pencils? Parents may get the plain ones, but I've seen kids getting school supplies, and they usually manage to get the fancy stuff along with the minimum stuff on the list. Heck, I usually managed to get the 64 crayon box, myself, way back in the dark ages.
    crayons and markers
  • Lanikai Pele Em... 2012/06/18 16:08:18 (edited)
    +2
    Our school allows ONLY certain kinds-period. That cuts down on stealing of supplies and standardizes everything. Our daughter goes to a private school for the education they provide.

Public schools in this area, in the lower grades, collect all of the supplies and place them in ONE container, so that all of the kids have to share everything. It does ZERO good for parents to buy name brand or upgraded stuff because it is going to be collectivized by the union slog teachers so that little Sally doesn't feel bad if she is suing Rose Art but her table mate is using Crayola.

Notebooks, folders, paper, pens, pencils, crayons, paints, tissues, construction paper is ALL collectivized from 6th down here.
  • Pele Em... Lanikai 2012/06/18 17:02:24
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Some of the stuff, I can see--tissues and possibly even paper, but the rest? I'm sorry. I'm a teacher (school librarian), and I think that is total BS. One of the joys I remember with my own kids and, indeed from my own school days, was coming home with a box of crayons, markers, and stuff for my own projects during the summer.

Currently, I am school librarian in a small rural district--3 schools (elementary, middle, high). I'm at the elementary. None of the teachers do what you're talking about except possibly with tissues and maybe, pencils. Even the 4th and 5th graders, who move from block to block and have a different teacher for math, reading/language arts, and science/social studies, take their own supplies with them in their backpacks.

Don't blame the union. That sounds like an administrative/higher level decision, to me. I'm betting that the decision to do it was made by the district office or possibly even the school board. That isn't the union. That's a management decision, pure and simple.
  • Lanikai Pele Em... 2012/06/18 17:10:58
    Actually, here, it was the teachers and the teachers union that DID decide it, largely to cut down on bickering and jealousy-teasing over lower quality supplies.

Apparently some kids make fun of those who don't have the nicest stuff, OR some kids are bullies and acted out if others stuff was nicer. So, this was supposed to end classroom drama-but collectivization is always bad.

Worse, some kids have parents who refuse to even buy supplies, so the ones that do end up replacing those supplies 3 or 4 times a year to make up for the deadbeats.
  • Pele Em... Lanikai 2012/06/18 17:37:36
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Really? I can't imagine sitting around as a teachers union deciding on stuff like that. I can see a building principal or superintendent deciding, though.

Every year, we have kids who don't bring anything. There are local groups which give schools extra, so they can fill in for those kids who don't bring anything. Here's the real kicker: Kid doesn't bring supplies, but parents always have the latest cell phone. Kid has video game system at home. Kid's clothes may be crap, but you can bet your booties that the parent isn't dressed in crap. Seems that the parent has many for his/her wants, but not the child's needs.
  • Lanikai Pele Em... 2012/06/18 17:47:11
    +1
    I think the local school admin approved it, but the local union hall decided it. And I hear from friends across the state that this is standard, so I am guessing that it is the unwritten policy for elementary.

I wish the local admin would NOT allow kids who bring no supplies to attend class until they did bring them.
  • Pele Em... Lanikai 2012/06/18 17:52:39
    Pele Emerging
    Unfortunately, they can't. In our state, if a kid owes a fine--lost or destroyed book, lunch money, etc., but moves to another school, our school cannot withhold records, and the new school cannot deny them admission. It teaches kids that you can run from your problems and don't ever have to be responsible. :(
  • Lanikai Pele Em... 2012/06/18 18:25:22
    +2
    How stupid.

I WISH one school district would grow a set of guts and stop bussing-it is expensive and unnecessary in the integrated age. And suspend kids UNTIL they pay what they owe OR bring what is required to learn.
  • Pele Em... Lanikai 2012/06/18 18:32:58
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    My personal thing is social promotion. Why promote a kid who cannot do the work of the next grade? We're not talking about a kid with a learning disability, but one who for whatever reason (and it may be the parents moving the kid constantly so that he never has consistent schooling) is unable or unwilling to work. If the kid can't read, keep him in a grade where he's going to learn the skills until he does! Now, retaining a kid can be vetoed immediately by the parents.
  • Lanikai Pele Em... 2012/06/18 18:36:46 (edited)
    +2
    So, the school system that just promoted a BUNCH of kids who were F students does NOT meet you approval??

http://www.wpri.com/dpp/targe...

Down here (probably everywhere) parents ARE a large part of the problem. Many refuse to help with homework, OR provide an home environment that allows students to do homework. And many scream at teachers when they assign homework.
  • Pele Em... Lanikai 2012/06/18 18:47:54
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    I see kids start kindergarten who don't even know colors (how do you raise a kid to age five without mentioning colors?).

Our middle school principal refused to allow a group of kids to go to high school. These kids were capable, but lazy. They hadn't passed one class in 8th grade. He told them and the parents that until they passed all their classes one semester, they wouldn't go to high school. Amazingly, they all managed to pass after taking an addition semester in middle school. Fortunately, we have a new superintendent who backed the principal on this. It also served as a warning to other like-minded lazy kids that going on to high school isn't a given, if you don't do the work in middle school.
  • Lanikai Pele Em... 2012/06/18 18:51:19
    +2
    Well, there are a lot of folks here willing to sue, or picket or boycott or raise cain if their little darling isn't allowed to move up with their friends. Every accusation on earth has been played-race, economics, sexual orientation, teacher unfairness-ANYTHING other than the kid was stupid and lazy.

Funny how all of us are born WITH a brain and a percentage are taught from early o how NOT to use theirs and still get ahead.

2014/11/26 17:36:18