Who Has the Biggest Impact on Your Political Point of View?

GMR 2012/05/09 17:29:57
It's about that time of year, when high school graduates prepare for the next phase in their lives: College. For many students, it's an uncertain and unpredictable stage. They're starting over in a big way, but know it will be more uplifting and exciting than the transition into high school. College is that ephemeral life-limbo where Facebook started, where "Animal House" took place, and where you (supposedly) decide what to do for the rest of your life.

Whether you're going into college, went to college "back in the day," or are hoping to go at some point in the future, take our 6-question Quick Poll when you get the chance and let us know what your experience was like, or how you expect it to play out.

• Iriai 2013/07/10 15:06:03
    Friends
    Iriai
    I had to choose an option even though it's mostly myself makes the impact on my political view...for example I actually do research on a topic and then make an educated opinion on that topic instead of just following blindly!!
  • VintageLys 2012/07/06 00:50:27
    Media
    VintageLys
    i make my own choices based on what i see
  • nikkijay 2012/05/31 18:35:27
    Media
    nikkijay
    I think that because the media tells us things that we think are true so we believe
  • just me 2012/05/16 22:56:09
    Teachers
    just me
    Teachers who back up their statement with facts and decades of multicultural and economic realities.
  • Bronar 2012/05/15 21:10:27
    Celebrities
    Bronar
    I vote whichever way Alec Baldwin tells me to. Yeah right....probably my parents then teachers (thank god I went to a private school!).
  • JwonGalt 2012/05/15 17:21:20
    Friends
    JwonGalt
    I consider certain teachers friends, and many other adults also, so to have an exchange of ideas on such a personal level always has an impact on me
  • Red_Horse 2012/05/15 05:50:55
    Teachers
    Those who wrote the Preamble of our Constitution.
    Parents
    FDR and Truman
  • Mrs. V 2012/05/14 23:09:36
    Parents
    Mrs. V
    +1
    I was ingrained with conservative ideas (fiscal and constitutional) since childhood. I am 60 now and only deviated for about 5 years during my turbulent college days and beyond, until I came to my senses after voting for Jimmy the Peanut Carter. NEVER AGAIN.
    After he screwed up the economy, devastated the oil industry, I saw the liberal agenda for what it was.
    Then I married a man from a country overtaken by both Hitler and Stalin. We homeschooled our children and taught them TRUE history, not the government dumbed down version. They are all conservatives, ages 31, 29 and 26. Great kids, not a drain on society.
  • Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/05/14 18:08:10
    Teachers
    Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    Since you didn't have an option of "history" in your answer selection, this is about the closest I could get. My political point of view is the most greatly influenced by the abysmal history many of our past and present "leaders" have saddled our present with, and how best to learn from these terrible mistakes to fix our future.
  • Anna E 2012/05/14 17:48:05
    Friends
    Anna E
    +1
    For a while it was my parents, but I see friends more often and we hash things out quite a bit. Pretty much anything or anyone with a political opinion has driven me to dump partisanship and follow good sense instead. Mostly, I vote Indie.
  • Max7 2012/05/14 17:37:41
    Parents
    Max7
    +1
    Actually, my father is passed, and my mother is 93, we are a Democratic family, however I chose Parents because you didn't have the option for other. Truthfully, in my opinion, it is the candidate that influences me, in spite of my party affiliation, I honestly listen to all parties involved, it's not about Democrat, Independent or Republican, it should be about who you think is the best person for the job. A lot of unfair mud slinging and accusations that are far from the truth have been hurled at President Obama, and the majority of the chaos is because of his ethnic background. In 2008 I think that the majority didn't like how the previous eight years had gone, nor did they approve of what was being presented for the country and the American people, which is why President Obama was elected.
  • Daryl 2012/05/14 17:23:24
    Friends
    Daryl
    +1
    I chose my friends partly because of their good judgement so they have a lot of influence over my political beliefs.
  • chgo 2012/05/14 17:04:23 (edited)
    Parents
    chgo
    Young people are revolting in disgust of the republican party. That's why there are more registered independents than there are registered republicans.
  • D.C.Verdone 2012/05/14 15:57:29
    Parents
    D.C.Verdone
    +2
    You should have an "OTher" option. I make my own decisions. I do not go with whoever is around me simply because it is easier. I can't agree with EVERYTHING each party says so I won't be apart of either or any. Its very frustrateing because people pick certain things out of posts and say I'm so and so, when I'm not.
  • Vieuphoria 2012/05/14 15:43:48
    Teachers
    Vieuphoria
    +2
    I mean, all of them to a degree. We aren't autonomous. Everything affects the way in which we think. But if I was to go down the list I could say it better.

Parents - Obviously one is brought up under the beliefs of our elders. However my grandparents and parents both have varying degrees of conservatism. Which i'm not a fan of. I learned from family to always question things, I grew up believing lots of things that simply aren't true. Now i'm older I question everything.

Media - The media affects everyone. Everything has a bias. This one is pretty simple. Question everything the media says, there is always another side.

Friends - Of all of the options listed, this one effects me least. I have friend ranging from douchy uber liberals, to quasi-racist conservatives. I take people for what they are, not their political background. Obviously this often leads to heated discussions, but that's life... everyone is different and I don't allow friends to influence me really. Nor would I want my friends to just accept everuthing I say, if they take issue with it.

Teachers - I picked this one, not because of the actual teacher enforcing beliefs on to me, but for the knowledge i've gained through learning. I've studied communication, and i've read more books that i'm willing to menti...

Teachers - I picked this one, not because of the actual teacher enforcing beliefs on to me, but for the knowledge i've gained through learning. I've studied communication, and i've read more books that i'm willing to mention. Like i've previously mentioned, I'm fine tuned to question everything. Because of this I will never align myself to a political party, or just take everything a political party says as given. Party politics doesn't work, and people need to stop aligning themselves in such a way.

Celebrities - This one i'm unsure of. Same with everything, I won't just believe everything a celebrity says. But I do make myself more susceptible to certain people I like.. who I tend to agree with more.
  • john doe 2012/05/14 15:40:53
    Teachers
    john doe
    +1
    I choose "other", I am my biggest impact on my political views.
  • Karla 2012/05/14 15:28:20
  • crazy:) 2012/05/14 15:27:32
    Friends
    crazy:)
    +1
    to be honest my friends hve yea my parents are second maybe 3rd but its always been my friends lol
  • Illjwamh 2012/05/14 15:16:52
    Parents
    Illjwamh
    +1
    By which I mean the reasoning capacity I was born with thanks to their DNA, and the ability to use it thanks to their upbringing.

As far as political issues are concerned, we disagree as often as we agree, but at least we have good conversations about it.
  • Calm down! 2012/05/14 15:11:55
    Friends
    Calm down!
    +2
    Our wallets should have the most political impact on us! Since there are no good paying jobs anywhere I would say it's time for a new guy! Voting for a cool guy will just have you standing in the unemployment line!

broke no more change
  • Seonag 2012/05/14 14:14:18
    Parents
    Seonag
    +1
    Though I 'rebelled' a bit when I 'came of age' I eventually saw that my Father was right.
  • Classical Liberal 2012/05/14 14:05:51
    Parents
    Classical Liberal
    +1
    ultimately, you are how you were raised. Also a majority of young voters just support whatever party their parents tend to.
  • Illjwamh Classic... 2012/05/14 15:17:46
    Illjwamh
    +1
    Or the exact opposite, if they're the rebelling type.
  • cents-less 2012/05/14 12:30:42
    Parents
    cents-less
    I think I have the most impact on myself but out of the choices given it's my parents and the values they taught me. Then my teachers/friends next. Media is somewhere on the list, my celebrities. Why the hell would I listen to someone just cause their movie is popular or even worse they have a reality TV show?
  • All American 2012/05/14 12:03:00 (edited)
    Celebrities
    All American
    +2
    Reagan,I guess he would qualify as a celebrity / politician. My interest really began when he first ran and has deepened in the ensuing years.
  • Mz Understood 2012/05/14 11:27:55
    Parents
    Mz Understood
    +1
    None of the above, actually.
  • Crime Time 2012/05/14 10:55:45
  • stevmackey 2012/05/14 10:50:40
    Media
    stevmackey
    +1
    There should have been a "facts" button.
  • AnonRanGER 2012/05/14 10:44:47
    Media
    AnonRanGER
    +2
    Excluding mainstream media.
  • Wanderer 2012/05/14 10:27:05
    Media
    Wanderer
    +1
    Nobody I know is actually interested in politics enough to discuss it.
  • Giantfighter 2012/05/14 08:42:29
    Media
    Giantfighter
    +1
    Actually, it's more about what my research turns up...& then my own beliefs
  • Stacie 2012/05/14 07:46:29
    Parents
    Stacie
    +2
    I believe that the character, morality, and faith that your parents instill in you have a great deal to do with your political views.

I am not saying that you have to be a carbon copy of their political beliefs. However they do influence the decisions that you make later in life.
  • Jiorgia 2012/05/14 05:48:43
    Parents
    Jiorgia
    +1
    my parents raised me to think for myself, ultimately i ended up choosing the same side they chose, although we dont agree on everything.

we never ever discussed politics or religion until i brought it up (and told them my stance).
  • He'a: ka'ka:' 2012/05/14 05:10:04
    Media
    He'a: ka'ka:'
    +2
    Or, more specifically, my beliefs and values.
  • MistyFay8879 2012/05/14 04:45:13
    Parents
    MistyFay8879
    +1
    My parents had an influence but ultimately I decided for myself.
  • MrFabulous47 2012/05/14 02:58:46
    Teachers
    MrFabulous47
    +1
    You forgot to put "Myself" on this list which is who influences me the most. I read up, I study, I watch debates & I decide. I be a grown man.
  • starlight 2012/05/14 02:47:21
    Parents
    starlight
    +1
    because i trust my dad's point of view
  • Cal 2012/05/14 02:16:22
    Parents
    Cal
    +1
    For sure.

2014/11/28 12:24:09