Who else was raised by their Grandparents?

Ms Missy 2010/07/14 22:41:10
I was.
No. my parents did.
sorry....I was raised by wolves.
I'm just curious. Though I didn't live with them I was pretty much raised by my grandparents (i lived just 3 houses down, so i was always there to escape the madhouse i lived in.). My Grandmother just died on Sunday, and I was thinking back to when I was little (over 20 years ago) and I realize that my grandmother did more for me and taught me more than my mother. Without her and my grandfather I would have never survived my childhood. Rest In Peace Teddy (2008) & Dot (2010) may your last dance last forever. grandfather survived childhood rest peace teddy 2008 dot 2010 dance

• BlytheSpirit~bn0 2010/09/04 00:01:58
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +2
    My mother was killed by a drunk driver when I was eight. My brother and I spent the summers, when we were out of school, with our grandmother who lived in a neighboring state. It was wonderful for us and although I would much rather have had my mother, my grandmother made a huge impact on our lives. I'm leaving Colorado for Maine in about six months in order to be near my grandchildren. I think grandparents are very important for children. I'm very sorry for your loss.

• BlackwinterG36C 2011/05/31 00:08:45
    No. my parents did.
    BlackwinterG36C
    But my grandparents lived with us for 4 years.
  • Alexis 2010/10/01 16:48:48
    I was.
    Alexis
    Just my grandma. My dad was always in and out of jail and eventually my baby brother and I were put in a foster home. My dad told me grandma to get me out of there, and she did. When I was 6 the only way she could get me out was to adopt me. But I was in the foster home with my baby brother, who was not her biological grandson. But I told her that I wasn't gonna go with her unless she took my brother too. And she did. I'll never forget everything she's done for me. It's weird to think that she was so strict, but in the end it was worth it because I think she did a great job raising me.

Me and Grandma with my baby sister :)
    forget shes weird strict worth job raising grandma baby sister
  • LittleMistersMom 2010/09/10 19:06:13
    I was.
    LittleMistersMom
    I was raised by my grandparents from the time I was a year old. My mother ran out on us because partying was more important than her children apparently.. My dad had custody of us, but he was a truckdriver, so couldn't take two small children on the road with him. So my grandparents raised us, and my dad came when he could. They are truely amazing people, and I don't know what I would do without them...still to this day.
  • jess - free to be me 2010/09/10 12:25:48
    jess - free to be me
    Well I am kind of like you.. My grandmother lives right next door and my da had to work 2-3 jobs to keep roof over our head and food on the table so I stayed with my grandmother alot...
  • Joe Finsternis 2010/09/05 17:11:29
    I was.
    Joe Finsternis
    Yeah, I lived with my mother and stepfather for a few years before moving back in with my grandparents.
  • zsazsa 2010/09/05 02:24:11
    I was.
    zsazsa
    I was raised off and on by my grandparents until I was 13 and then my mother shipped me off to my dad's I did not get to see then again till I was an adult. My grandparents were the best and I miss them terribly. They are both gone I lost my grandfather in 1996 and my grandmother in 2001 it was so hard so I know what you are going through. I miss them every day.
  • Rosalie 2010/09/04 23:45:02
    I was.
    Rosalie
    Love them for it......
  • colette 2010/09/04 20:04:13
    colette
    Awww I just want to offer you my condolences on your beloved Grandmother, I am sorry. What a sad time.
  • they call me hippie woman lol 2010/09/04 19:46:10 (edited)
    they call me hippie woman lol
    well i consider my dad's parents to be a huge part in my bringing up. i always consider my grandma more like a mom to me. my dad took great care of us. and my mom well she's a LONG CRAZY story. anyway my grandparents had a lot to do with my life. between them and my dad and every now and then my mom i was brought up.

I am sorry about your "grand"mother passing. I used quotations because you see her more as a mother.
    Blessed Be
  • meeeee : ) 2010/09/04 18:55:17
    meeeee : )
    i live with my dad and my grandparents, so i guess both.
  • HaleyPanther-TheAngelOfDemons 2010/09/04 16:41:01
    I was.
    HaleyPanther-TheAngelOfDemons
    I live with my great grandparents.
  • memebev1 2010/09/04 10:36:06
    I was.
    memebev1
    I was raised raised mostly by my grandparents. I have beautiful memories of that time and wouldn't change any of it. I took care of her as she aged and loved doing it. I still miss her to this day.
  • Desert Cloud 2010/09/04 09:55:18
    I was.
    Desert Cloud
    My deadbeat dad left my mom when I was young and my grandma raised my sister, brother and I while my mom worked long hours.
  • Diana 4 american rights 2010/09/04 08:39:11 (edited)
    Diana 4 american rights
    I raised myself from age 2 up....my mom always slept so i learned to cook for myself first the micro wave then the stove a few burns and i was an ace at cooking
    and when my brothers were born....well i took care of them...a 2 year old changing a 1 year old....sometimes just not pretty lolz My mom worked during the day..and when she left my father when i was 2...she couldnt afford babysitting not an excuse but I sure had one heck of a child hood....me and my brothers did so many things like coloring the ceiling purple and orange with the maintanence workers step ladders aid then getting rid of the ladder when she got home.....lolz she couldnt say it was us...how can a 3 and 2 year old get up there right? so even though i wasnt raised by my mother..I had a pretty fun childhood. funny though now my mom calls me every day and wants me to live with her....i guess she somehow regrets her not giving us more attention. My child hood was good and bad...but i made the most of it. sorry for you loss and hope you will feel better. are both pictures of your grand parents? beautiful pics.
  • Ms Missy Diana 4... 2010/09/04 14:53:10
    Ms Missy
    +1
    My parents where drunks and my dad was a druggie. So i like you had to learn to cook, clean and take care of myself a lot, but i had my Gran to help guide me along. My Grandfather was a farmer and bestowed a lot of my horse sense.
    The pics where as close as i could find, but they are not pics of my actual grandparents my grandfather was shorter, more stocky and my grandmother's hair was the classic mop of Irish curls.
  • Diana 4... Ms Missy 2010/09/05 02:32:36 (edited)
    Diana 4 american rights
    I wasnt fortunate to have someone else care for me....I am glad for you that you had someone to impart such knowledge and love upon you.and i hope you can heal from there loss and if you believe in god im sure they watch over you with the care and love they had for you in life .....Thank you for sharing I didnt realize so many had somewhat same experiences as i...have a wonderfull day and cherish life and the people you care about to the fullest and when they do pass on know they do not want you to mourn forever...but to remember them in the good and yes bad times..the memorys that helped build you as a person a tear and a laugh..is good every so often..makes us human :)
  • sorry....I was raised by wolves.
    cнιвι cυρcαқєs ~*Λℓιcє*~ ♥♥
    When my mother went away for a long time, I was raised by my grandmother for a long period of time.
  • Alejandra 2010/09/04 04:58:29
    I was.
    Alejandra
    +1
    I was my grandparents until I was four.I think, thats were the spoiled girl started.thank goodness I always had a great job were I could afford myself.!!
  • JULIE 2010/09/04 04:44:54
    I was.
    JULIE
    My grand parents took care of me while my mom worked 12 - 14 hrs. a day to make sure I had everything. My grand parents were the best, thank god my mom loved me enough to move near them when I was little.
    What a wonderful childhood I had.
  • Kronan_1 2010/09/04 03:36:19
    sorry....I was raised by wolves.
    Kronan_1
    I'm raising 3 grand children now. I keep hoping mommy will find a decent man a nd want to raise her own but , in the mean time ,my wife and I will provide a stable home for them.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2010/09/04 02:40:02
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    I got a week or two each summer with them, and I learned how it used to be with a wood stove, no indoor plumbing, an outhouse, a small barn, killing your own supper, and making your own butter, etc.
  • Ms Missy Dave Sa... 2010/09/04 15:18:17
    Ms Missy
    +1
    I had a great Aunt who lived like that, she had a very small TV, and no other modern anything. I visited her usually about a week a summer too, she passed when i was just under 11.
  • Angelique ~ Pfffft! ;)~ 2010/09/04 02:16:37
    I was.
    Angelique ~ Pfffft!  ;)~
    I'm sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the hurt you must be feeling right now. *hugs*

My twin brother and I were in and out of foster homes the first 3 years of our lives. When we weren't in the foster homes we spent the majority of our time with our grandparents. Other times we were at our dad's or our mom's. After 3 years of this my biological mother asked my grandparents if they would take care of us because she was moving to Washington. My grandparents agreed to adopt us.
    2 years later the grandparents we knew as "Mom and Dad" divorced. Dad moved out of state and we stayed with our mom.
    My grandmother will always be my mom. She raised me, doing her best with what she had. Although she was very strict and old fashioned I wouldn't want to do it all over any other way.
  • Ms Missy Angeliq... 2010/09/04 15:16:38
    Ms Missy
    +1
    Strict and old fashioned describes my Irish catholic grandmother rather well. although I will not miss her backhand, I will miss everything she taught me and her hands on no nonsense manner. I wish I would have lived there with her all the time, I think i would have been a better person for it.
  • Angeliq... Ms Missy 2010/09/04 16:48:49
    Angelique ~ Pfffft!  ;)~
    Oh yeah, I will never miss the backhand my mom was and is famous for. She would not stand for any nonsense whatsoever! But it had it's merits. I would have been in a worse place if not for her. I learned a lot. The good and the bad all came together and made me appreciate her for doing all she knew to do. I'm very lucky! My twin brother got away with a lot, he was her favorite. she always favored the boys and raised him the way she was taught, a woman's duty is to serve the men. He is not better off now. He totally played into the whole scene. Instead of taking what was handed to him and learning from it he found comfort in feeling sorry for his lot in life. UGH! I am so grateful she instilled more morals, values and work ethic in me. I can see just how much I benefited from it.
  • Shilo 2010/09/04 01:42:20
    No. my parents did.
    Shilo
    +1
    Though they took turns at it.

I should be so lucky as to be raised by my grandparents. Granted, both my grandmothers are dead, but I like my paternal grandfather a lot.
  • Ms Missy Shilo 2010/09/04 15:14:29
    Ms Missy
    Split families are getting so common anymore, I have a stepdaughter myself. was it weird having two different homes?
  • Shilo Ms Missy 2010/09/04 15:43:21
    Shilo
    I don't mean to say that I went back and forth. I was with my dad for the first several years, then I went to stay with my mom for my teen years. So no, it wasn't really weird.
  • Ms Missy Shilo 2010/09/04 15:47:42
    Ms Missy
    sorry i misunderstood. I hope it was a good time in your life irregardless.
  • Shilo Ms Missy 2010/09/04 16:17:03
    Shilo
    Not particularly, but thanks
  • BlytheSpirit~bn0 2010/09/04 00:01:58
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +2
  • Ms Missy BlytheS... 2010/09/04 15:12:48
    Ms Missy
    +1
    I wish there was a way to adopt some grandparents for my girls, they lost there daddy's father to COPD years ago, and I really don't want my parents overly involved in their life.
  • BlytheS... Ms Missy 2010/09/04 15:55:58
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +1
    I think there are some organizations out there somewhere. You could also visit some local "old folks" homes and talk to the staff about someone there who enjoy visiting with your girls. It could greatly benefit everyone involved.
  • Nisa PinkySwear(*~*) 2010/09/03 22:17:58
    Nisa PinkySwear(*~*)
    +1
    sorry for you loved one. I wasnt really raised by them but we visited my grandmother every week but sadly she died soon after my 13th birthday. and i feel like a was just getting to know her. thinking about it now....it makes me really sad...i wasnt affect as much as it did then as it affects me now.
  • Ms Missy Nisa Pi... 2010/09/04 15:10:45
    Ms Missy
    I felt that way when my Grandfather died (I was 17), it didn't really hit me harder until I was older. And there is a lot more I wish that I had asked, and a lot more i wish I had lent a hand with so I could have learned more from him.
  • Nisa Pi... Ms Missy 2010/09/05 04:20:43
    Nisa PinkySwear(*~*)
    yea i felt like my grandmother was the key to my family history...but i never asked because i wouldnt have really understood and i wasnt 13 i was around 9
  • VERYwiseguy 2010/09/03 22:15:45
    VERYwiseguy
    +2
    In this order Parents.Then my Aunt and Uncle,Grandparents I lived with in the Summer.All are deceased except my Dad.I understand your heartache.I had a horrific childhood at home not so much my parents but in the projects.I lived on both sides of the tracks because of relatives that loved and cared for me.Peace
  • Ms Missy VERYwis... 2010/09/04 15:08:57
    Ms Missy
    +1
    I grew up just a bit south of Toledo, which is pretty much a turd left in Ohio by Detroit. I understand those kinds of hoods. Im glad your family did what they could to make your childhood as good as they could.
  • VERYwis... Ms Missy 2010/09/04 15:40:34
    VERYwiseguy
    Just wanted you to know you're not alone,my grandparents,aunt/uncle I loved like my parents and felt the same pain when they passed.
  • Alan_Scott 2010/09/03 22:14:42
    I was.
    Alan_Scott
    +1
    Mom died when I was 8. My mom's parents raised me after that.

2014/10/24 15:37:34