Which types of discrimination have you faced from a potential employer?

ANGEL 2012/06/07 14:22:47
Discrimination based on my age.
Discrimination based on my race
Discrimination based on my gender
Discrimination based on my religion
Other...
Most of my friends who have been faced with finding new employment at this point in their lives, have felt that they are being turned down because of their age (50-60 years old). It seems like discrimination due to race and gender doesn't appear to be an issue. Most employers don't readily know your religion unless you announce during your interview that you are involved in Scientology or you are a Wiccan, or Christian, or whatever - which, I think, would be a foolish thing to do, although it has been done.

• mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/06/15 14:05:00
  • Flamingolady 2012/06/15 14:00:46
    Discrimination based on my gender
    Flamingolady
    you know, women aren't that strong in _____________. Whatever the need might be.
  • DFA 2012/06/09 03:08:53
    Other...
    DFA
    Sexuality.
  • VintageLys 2012/06/08 02:31:57
    Discrimination based on my religion
    VintageLys
    not necessarily employer but in life
  • danila777 2012/06/07 20:19:19
    Other...
    danila777
    One of my brothers is a straight male, and is working as a dispatcher for a company. The company got a new owner that was gay and he was let go because he did not agree with their life style. After being unemployed for 3 months they called him back, offered him double the pay and full benefits. It turns out that they went trough about 10 other dispatchers.
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/07 18:00:02
    Other...
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    All of the above:

When I tried to work with the disable the interviewer was always a woman and the questions were always reflective of how I would handle violent or sexually deviant clients. The only time men are welcome in disabled work shelters is when a truck needs unloading or a piece of heavy furniture needs moved, otherwise they'd prefer to hire someone that dresses like a bum and smokes like a chimney.

I'm 59, most interviewers say that I'm overqualified and shoo me out the door.

I've been turned down for jobs mostly because of affirmative action. Although more qualified and experienced for the positions I'd applied for, I've been dealt cards from the race/gender deck and passed over several times during my work history.

I worked for a small municipal airport that reeked of religious nepotism. The boss was a church secretary, then got her airport manager job 'cuz she was buddies with a board member(also a member of her church) and then soon after hired her pastor for maintenance and another church woman, to be her secretary. The pastor was supposed to be a maintenance man, but he had trouble with anything more complicated than a waste basket. He tore up more than he could fix. The secretary and manager hated me 'cuz they worshiped their pastor and I didn't. I caught the jerk in a half dozen lies, so before it was over my employment was terminated without just cause.
  • L1 2012/06/07 17:04:50
    Other...
    L1
    I have discrimination on gender and ethnic background.....
  • SA 2012/06/07 16:10:30
    Discrimination based on my age.
    SA
    +2
    After I was assaulted at one job I quit. Because I was over 50, I had a problem getting a job. I have a degree, am bi-lingual and had a great work history.
    One person called me on the phone to schedule an interview. I spoke to the woman for about 10 minutes and scheduled an interview. I do sound a lot younger than I am....lol
    When I arrived, my name was called by the interviewer and I stood up.
    I don't believe she expected anybody my age, as I can pass for my 36 year old daughter on the phone. LOL
    Needless to say she said she would call me, but also said I was over qualified....hmmmm.
    Ageism is becoming the biggest challenge for those over 40.
  • Veritas 2012/06/07 15:06:54
    Discrimination based on my age.
    Veritas
    +2
    Over 40 but no where near retirement yet. The interviewer actually looked at me and said "Well . . . we were hoping to hire someone straight out of college."

I didn't hear from them for four weeks. I finally filed an EEOC claim. They were offering me all sorts of work after that. I wouldn't accept it though. Gaining a position like that wouldn't be good -- they would have looked for ways to fire me at some point.
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/06/07 14:54:31
    Discrimination based on my race
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    I'm not hispanic.
  • jackie ♒ßεllεc... 2012/06/07 15:10:09
    jackie
    learn spanish
  • ♒ßεllεc... jackie 2012/06/07 15:11:27
  • KarenInKenoshaWisconsin 2012/06/07 14:46:06
    Other...
    KarenInKenoshaWisconsin
    There's also discrimination against pregnant women, people on the autism range, and the list continues.
  • ANGEL KarenIn... 2012/06/08 13:56:14 (edited)
    ANGEL
    I agree that there is discrimination in those areas - but I must say that if I was an employer and was looking for someone to fullfill a full time, permanent position, if I was faced with a pregnant woman I would be concerned that she would be out for a period of time, and may not even want to come back after the baby was born - or at least come back on a full time basis. In such a situation, if I had other candidates with similar skills and credentials, I would certainly choose them over her.

That being said - after she had the baby, had daycare all set up, was now ready to commit to a full time job, that wouldn't be an issue.

As to someone with autism - it would depend on the position. If the person could meet the requirements of the job and it wouldn't interfere with the job - then it wouldn't be an issue.
  • Seonag 2012/06/07 14:42:55
    Other...
    Seonag
    +3
    Twice I was 'over-educated.' Once I felt it was 'age' related.
  • Veritas Seonag 2012/06/07 15:07:56
    Veritas
    +2
    Yes, age discrimination is very hard to prove except in my case. The interviewer actually came out and said "We were actually hoping to hire someone fresh out of college."
  • Seonag Veritas 2012/06/07 19:59:05
    Seonag
    +2
    Ouch! Obviously someone forgot to explain to him that you can't say that! But if you used it against the company, you were lucky they did forget or the interviewer was just too dumb. Usually, they are much better at covering their discrimination over age, sex and/or race.
  • Veritas Seonag 2012/06/07 21:34:34 (edited)
    Veritas
    +2
    I filed a claim with EEOC after a month of not hearing from them -- I was well qualified for the position with excellent references. I never followed through with the entire claim since I had to leave the state (Michigan) due to the lack of employment. The interviewer got her hand slapped though and that's what I wanted. It's interview basics 101! I am over 40, but not nearly retirement age -- they just wanted a young fresh face. Unbelievable.
  • danila777 Seonag 2012/06/07 20:21:06
    danila777
    +2
    I hate the over educated one, now I have 5 different resumes, and I only put down what corresponds with said job.
  • Seonag danila777 2012/06/07 20:24:21
    Seonag
    +2
    I learned to do that also.
  • ANGEL danila777 2012/06/08 14:00:56
    ANGEL
    Smart!
  • ANGEL Seonag 2012/06/08 13:59:59
    ANGEL
    +1
    I should have added "over qualified" as an opinion. I've been in the same boat. I think that sometimes the employer might legitimately feel that the job might be boring to someone with your education credentials - and I can understand that because you want someone to stay long-term and to grow - and if you are over-educated, you would be bored. However, I also think that that is often used as an excuse to get around the 'age'.
  • Seonag ANGEL 2012/06/08 14:09:38
    Seonag
    +2
    The job I wanted was a receptionist. I was tired and exhausted of the 'responsibility' jobs. I wanted to schedule appointments, greet visitors and answer the phone. I actually did get a job like that and to be honest, it was the one job I've had that I really enjoyed and didn't have to take home with me!
  • ANGEL Seonag 2012/06/08 14:28:43
    ANGEL
    +2
    Actually, if I was an employer and you interviewed for the job and voiced that position, I would have hired you.

I completely understand about not wanting to take the job home with you! I'm also at that point in my life.
  • beach bum 2012/06/07 14:40:33
    Other...
    beach bum
    none really cause when i did...i walked out the door
  • Headhunter 13 2012/06/07 14:37:44
    Discrimination based on my age.
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    and I see it everyday being in the employment industry
  • stevmackey 2012/06/07 14:36:50
    Other...
    stevmackey
    I faced problems because my mother was born in the Ukraine and my grandfather on the other side of my family was also. Ge, Sylvania, Westinghouse Electric, and RCA.would not hire me because my family came from a "Communist" country. This was a complete lye. They came to this country between 1911 and 1914. That includes my Hungarian grand mother. Communism did not overthrow Russia till 1917. In 1917 my grandfather was in the US army in Europe.He made the rank of Corporal..
  • Seonag stevmackey 2012/06/07 14:48:41
    Seonag
    That is wrong. BUT, the blame really goes to the contracts that these companies have with the US Government. I don't know if it is as much a problem today as it was 20 to 40 years ago. My father's family was from Czechoslovakia and my mother's from Germany, both sides coming to the US in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I was questioned extensively when I applied for my first teaching job in Fairfax County, VA (with lots of Federal Employees) by the FBI because of this, but ended up getting the job when I pointed out the dates of immigration and that all were US Citizens before even WWI started.
  • irish 2012/06/07 14:29:26
    Other...
    irish
    +1
    disability. having a hearing problem was cause for much on the job discrimination. can you prove it? its very hard to do.
  • S. Gompers 2012/06/07 14:26:01
    Other...
    S. Gompers
    +2
    Is being told you are "over qualified" a discrimination? I kinda thought that should be my choice...
  • jackie S. Gompers 2012/06/07 15:09:54
    jackie
    +1
    That reminds me of my ex boyfriends mom. She tried to work as a boss of a restaurant. Its not like they dont like you they just think that you deserve better.
  • S. Gompers jackie 2012/06/07 15:15:58
    S. Gompers
    +2
    Deserving better don't pay the bills though when you need a job, I thought it could be used to cover up one of the others as a reason for not hiring someone...
  • danila777 S. Gompers 2012/06/07 20:24:14
    danila777
    +1
    Just make a new resume and only put down the things that you need to get the job. That's what I did last year in order to get a job as a nurse.

2014/04/18 18:25:36