Which Bible stories are re-telling of mythology, myths and fairy tales of other cultures?

bob 2012/04/30 16:09:34
Related Topics: Bible, Fairy Tale, Myth
Ancient Egyption mythology and myths .....
The Epic of Gilgamesh ....
Oh My Gods: A Modern Retelling of Greek and Roman Myths ....
Grimm's Fairy Tales ....
Stolen Stories from xxxx is retold as the Bible story yyyyy
Jewish Folktales ....
Oriental and Indian Folktales ....
Every story in the Bible is original and the proof is

• Headhunter 13 2012/04/30 17:06:08
    Headhunter 13
    +6
    Pretty much every major story in both the OT and the NT are retellings and plagiarizing of older myths and ideas

• NekoCarrey181 2013/12/13 21:56:46
    NekoCarrey181
    Clearly, Greek and Roman Mythology is connected to everything. Psyche's story seemed to resemble East of the Sun, West of the Moon and a few other stories. The gist: Psyche goes to a strange mansion, which has invisible servants, to marry a mysterious man who only comes at night, in the dark. Seriously, people.
  • gracious43 2012/06/25 17:05:42
    gracious43
    Documentation by eyewitnesses to the events described.
  • bob gracious43 2012/06/25 17:08:02
    bob
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha so is the Grims Brother's fairy tales
  • gracious43 bob 2012/06/25 17:13:31
    gracious43
    Oh? The Grim's fairy tales include names of people who claim to have seen the characters in these accounts? Really!

Please provide the documentation for this. Please provide historical documentation of when and where the accounts in Grims took place, who were the eyewitnesses and what were the dates. I'm really eager to investigate these astonishing claims.
  • bob gracious43 2012/06/25 18:47:40
    bob
    all of the bible stories and mythology can be traced back to earlier stories from other civilization. As for names, that's a jewish story telling techinique. The bible in nothing more than reworked mythology from other civilizations.
  • gracious43 bob 2012/06/26 04:53:04
    gracious43
    +1
    No documentation yet I see.
  • Chris- ... gracious43 2012/06/25 17:21:04
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    I'm sorry but I don't follow. Are you saying they are true because the person who wrote them down saw what happened? (sort of like a reporter would do today)
  • gracious43 Chris- ... 2012/06/26 05:24:15
    gracious43
    In the case of the NT that is exactly what happened. The time frame in which the NT was written was the time and place where these events took place. The people who read the accounts as well as the epistles of John, Peter and Paul were the people who knew these men, and had witnessed the events written about.

Let me give you two examples that you might be able to relate to, depending on how old you are. 911 happened September 11, 2001, almost eleven years ago. There are plenty of people still around who were eyewitnesses, and we still listen to their stories. In eleven years, how much of the story has been modified to include implausable details? Has there been any mythological god stories that have arisen from that event in the past 10.5 years? Unexplained stories of miracles? Crazy, unbelievable details? I think that we would agree that the stories have not been modified to include supernatual details.

The Detroit riot broke out July 23, 1967. I was a girl then, and my mother heard it on the radio and started crying. But I wasn't that interested in it. However since then, I have had plenty of opportunities to learn about that riot from friends and others who were eyewitnesses to it. That was 45 years ago. I've been driven around the neighborhoods that were affected, and talked...

The Detroit riot broke out July 23, 1967. I was a girl then, and my mother heard it on the radio and started crying. But I wasn't that interested in it. However since then, I have had plenty of opportunities to learn about that riot from friends and others who were eyewitnesses to it. That was 45 years ago. I've been driven around the neighborhoods that were affected, and talked to people who were helping their neighbors get their stuff out of their houses before they burned to the ground--I could keep going. The point I am trying to make is that 45 years later, eyewitnesses are still around, old newpaper accounts are still available, and no one is inventing supernatuaral details to the event that occurred 45 years ago.

Taken in the same time frame, the NT authors wrote roughly between 50 CE to 90 CE. The events that they wrote about occurred around 32 CE. Before the events were written, these men travelled extensively reporting their accounts, and creating new events that were reported in Acts and the epistles. There was a rough twenty years between the time that these events happened and when they were written down and read by people who lived in Palestine at that time. What skeptics would have us believe, is that within a twenty year time-frame, these silly superstitious people --an entire population, by the way, were so gullible that they couldn't remember what really happened, and instead swallowed some fish-tale about a man-god, that who really didn't exist. I submit to you that the versions of invented tales (and there are so many differerent theories) is much more unlikely than the simple fact that these accounts were accepted and protected as truth, simply because eyewitnesses saw these events for themselves and knew them to be true.

Moses wrote Genesis by inspiration of God. It was believed and preserved because of the miraculous signs given as a witness to the Israelites in the desert. The Prophets were also written down by the men whose names are given to them, with the exception of the end of 2 Samuel. That means that the men who exhorted the kings of Israel and Judah in regards to upcoming punishment were speaking to the people of these nations, and they were preserved because the events in these accounts took place exactly as prophesied.
  • Chris- ... gracious43 2012/06/26 08:10:02
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +1
    Thorough answer gracious43. Thank you. Do you mind if I ask another?
    I am an atheist and there is something I have never understood very well. Do you believe the Bible is inerrant? If you do does that include the stories like Noah, Jonah, the Garden of Eden, etc...? You see where I'm going I'm sure. For someone like me they sound completely insane. My mother is still a regular church goer but she takes a more interpretive approach to the Bible. (they are lessons rather than actual facts, they were attempts to explain something the author didn't understand, etc...) I've asked other Christians but I never get a very complete answer, if i get one at all.
    I promise not to bombard you with arguments telling you why you're wrong. My interest is why people believe the things they do, not in telling them why those things are wrong.
    Thanks gracious. :-)
  • gracious43 Chris- ... 2012/06/26 15:30:36
    gracious43
    You can argue with me. I actually like it. I was actually a contrary little kid. The first time I took a bible apologetics class I was hooked. Everyone else at church had moved on, but I was still buying books. And every once in awhile I get an argument I haven't heard before, so I have to do some digging and it increases my knowledge.

If the bible is not inerrant, then I have no reason for hope. If any part of it is a lie, then who am I do figure out what is a lie and what is the truth? It all claims to be true. Why should I believe that God will forgive me, if I can't believe that God sent Jonah to Ninevah to preach the gospel of forgiveness to the pagans in that city?

The reason that I take the three stories you mention as literal, is because their validity was stated by Jesus. That is, the resurrection of Jesus, along with His claims of Divinity is sufficient evidence to conclude that He was God. That being the case, God Himself testified that the three accounts you asked me about are true.(Jonah, Adam and Noah)

Matthew 12:40
    For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Luke 3:38
    the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.

Mark 10:4-9
    4 They said,...

Matthew 12:40

Luke 3:38

Mark 10:4-9
    4 They said, “ Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and [a]send her away.” 5 But Jesus said to them, “[b] Because of your hardness of heart he wrote you this commandment. 6 But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female. 7 For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother[c], 8 and the two shall become one flesh; so they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9 What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.”

Luke 17:26-28
    26 “Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27 People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.
    28 “It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building.
  • JJ 2012/06/25 03:44:56 (edited)
    JJ
    It's so sad.I went down through most of the comments and felt nothing but sorrow for most, because none seems to know who God really is, why He is or how those so called fables came about. So many of you look at God as some kind of myth. A lot of you blame God for the happenings on this earth and wonder why God did'nt do this or that for you. Well, let me ask you, what have you done for God? Do you obey the 10 commandments. Do you know the 10 commandments?
    I will tell you this...if things don't change in this country, you will not only believe there is a God, but you will try to run from him and there won't be any where to run. I have a gut feeling God is getting mighty fed up with all of us and if we don't turn back to him and make some changes in our lives, we're going to wish we had. This is not a maybe...it happened in the past and it can well happen in our time. Our choice!
  • bob JJ 2012/06/25 17:03:08 (edited)
    bob
    Ah the bible fairy tales. No man can define GOD. Actually the Jews had over 800 commandments. All the stories in the bible are borrowed and modified to suit to fit. It is no more GODs word than what I'm saying to you.
  • JJ bob 2012/06/25 17:42:37
    JJ
    Bob, all I'm going to say is that one day you will eat your words.
  • Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow 2012/05/28 15:32:55
    Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow
    +1
    90% of the christian religion is borrowed. most christians will deny it to the ends of the universe, but it is true.
  • holyheretic 2012/05/10 12:48:18
  • Met 2012/05/08 14:53:21
    Met
    +4
    Ever wonder why the books of other religions were burned, and Christians weren't allowed to learn about other cultures?

Because it would have been exposed as mythology before it took hold.
  • irish 2012/05/06 13:26:21
    irish
    +2
    proof once again that humans never learn from the past!
  • Mungu 2012/05/03 19:32:36 (edited)
    Mungu
    +1
    I think of the list given Egypt is the source of most myth, before then the stories of neolithic folk that lived in what is now Sahara ( but once lush, wet and green).

This post is obviously to put mud in the face of Abrahamic based cults. But I ask those who encourage this action. What do you have to offer in exchange? How are the folk who believe whole heart in the literalness of these retold stores any better, being exposed to the legacy of them? Will they be smarter, more tolerant, nicer? What is your intent? Other than being a smart @$$?

Do you have something that will "evolve" us more? Make us more civil? How about awaken the unused gray matter in our brains so we can all realize our potential and exercise the latent genius within us?

Anything short of that is BS
  • Pat 2012/05/03 19:22:43
    +2
    I can't think of one that isn't a re-telling of some other ancient story. It's all fantasy.
  • sandra 2012/05/03 14:59:09
    sandra
    Not sure, but I will say the story of Adam and Eve.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... sandra 2012/05/03 15:18:15 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +5
    is a myth

Catholic Cardinal Says Adam and Eve Didn’t Exist
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

In comments that may shock some staunch Catholics, Cardinal George Pell has described the biblical story of Adam and Eve as a myth.

He appeared alongside renowned evolutionary biologist and atheist, Professor Richard Dawkins, on the ABC’s Q&A; program last night.

Cardinal Pell said the existence of Adam and Eve was not a matter of science but rather a mythological account.

“It’s a very sophisticated mythology to try to explain the evil and the suffering in the world,” he said.

“It’s a religious story told for religious purposes.”
    According to Genesis, God created Adam and Eve as the first man and woman and all people are descended from them.
  • sandra ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/05/03 15:26:21
    sandra
    +1
    so interesting, thanks
    Children in catholic school are led to believe it`s a true story. But The poor kids are also taught alot of false things. Santa Claus....
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... sandra 2012/05/06 15:05:09 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    which is funny cuz Santa is based on the legend of Odin the norse God
    odin santa
    Odin during winter solstice would go in a hunting trip and bring Deer and food to villagers and bring toys to children and everyone would sing Drink mead and tell stories Slowly the story was merged with Saint Peter and Voila Santa Claus
    Think about it
    Elves Magic Reindeer a fat man who gives Gifts to others for Free and only wants cookies in return The Tree the Gift Giving everything about Christmas is actually Based on the Pagan holiday Yule

Yule/ Winter Solstice the Pagan Christmas
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...
    Pagan Symbolism
  • sandra ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/05/06 20:23:55
    sandra
    How did it get mixed up with Jesus`s birthday ?
    My 9 year old son finally told me that some people are saying that there isn`t a Santa claus. I always say to him that I still believe in him, but that it`s not about getting presents...ya right ! like he wanted to believe that part. lol
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... sandra 2012/05/06 21:01:16 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    Christmas" was invented to compete with the pagan celebrations in December. The 25th of December was a sacred day for both the Romans and the Persians, whose religion was Mithraism, one of Christianity's main rivals. The Church adopted many of the Pagan rituals in their attempt to make the religion more attractive to converts.

Jesus was actually Born in Early May not December
  • sandra ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/05/06 22:32:08
    sandra
    So interesting, You have taught me alot, thanks.
    I am looking forward to your teaching `s on All Hallows Eve, or Hallows eve, halloween ....I know some of it`s history but you have a knack for this kind of stuff. lol
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... sandra 2012/05/06 22:47:06
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    Halloween is the Pagan holiday Samhain

but Dates back to the Egyptians

October 29 Going forth of Het-Hert (Hathor) and the Ennead
    October 30 Celebration of the Netjert of Weaving and Fate; Coming forth of the Bennu transformed.
    October 31 Feast of Sekhmet Bast Ra

a 3 Day holiday you prayed to the Dead to thank you ancestors
    gave Treats and Candy to Children and costume party that ended in feasting and an orgy
  • sandra ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/05/06 22:56:54 (edited)
    sandra
    So interesting, thanks alot...I didn`t know it started in Egypt.
    I thought it started in medeival, England, or Ireland or Scotland ,somewhere out that celtic way...
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... sandra 2012/05/06 22:57:48
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    there are Celtic connections too but the origin of the holiday is Egyptian and Babylonian
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... sandra 2012/05/06 21:02:12
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

this blog Explains what the holidays is about
    +5
    Almost all of the stories are from times long before the Bible was written.
  • Fenris 2012/05/02 11:30:01
    Fenris
    +4
    Plus many jewish folktales are also copies from Sumer/Babylon and Egypt!
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/05/02 04:14:36
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +5
    Every Single Part of the Bible are stories From Other Religions
    Sumerians, Babylonians, Egyptians, Greeks, Cannanites ,Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites the Phoeicans and many more
    From Garden of Eden Story to the noah ark flood story to the Exodus incident with Moses are all from OTHER Religions that existed for Thousands of years before the Hebrews and Christianity was ever invented

story exodus incident moses religions existed years hebrews christianity invented
  • Harold 2012/05/01 18:05:44
    Harold
    +1
    None of the "stories" of the Holy Bible (Torah and New Testament) were made to cover up other fairy tales, etc. Every event in the Holy Bible did and will occur whether you believe it or not. You can find both Moses and Joseph's names mentioned in Egyptian writing. You will find that the same time the sea was parted and came together is the same time frame the Pharoh died. He did not come back like he did in the movie.

Jesus was born, lived, and died for our sins. He rose from the grave. He even raised people from the dead to his choosing, and yes, he will come back for us. I believe anyone who posts a question like this has not truly read the Holy Bible completely through.

The Holy Bible was written as things happened during those times by the people who were there. Granted, Moses had to have the first five books written as God would have him to because until then it was retold from father to son, and passed on. It was tradition to keep the history in the family among the Jews, and was part of a right of passage into manhood. I'd like to see anyone today recite 12 generations of their family line and pass it onto their son. That's why all the "begats" are in there.
  • Chokmah Harold 2012/05/01 22:54:33
    Chokmah
    +2
    Jesus wasn't the first person in the Bible to raise people from the dead, or even the first person to ascend to heaven. This was fairly common in the folklore of the bible.
  • Harold Chokmah 2012/05/02 02:25:04
    Harold
    +1
    Well, the Bible isn't folklore. There is enough proof of what happened in the Bible.
  • D.C. Wi... Harold 2012/05/02 04:08:23
  • Chokmah Harold 2012/05/02 06:16:47
    Chokmah
    +1
    There is zero proof. There is some truth mixed with fable. Like yes, there really was a Bethlehem, there really was a King Herod, etc.. That we know from archeology. There really was a person named Jesus, but...BUT.. there was no Jesus who rose from the dead!! That cannot be proved.... yet in can exist in Faith, but you can never prove it.

Ya know what I mean?
  • irish Chokmah 2012/05/06 13:29:46 (edited)
    irish
    +1
    there was no person named jesus.
  • Chokmah irish 2012/05/06 19:04:31
    Chokmah
    That happens to be a very popular name back in Bible times... although, since the people spoke Aramaic they did not use the letter "J". It was actually 'Yeshua'.

2014/11/22 00:20:44