Where's The Cry Of 'Hate Crime'?

zbacku 2011/06/26 18:13:27
Eric Holder Says:  'Hate Crime?  What Hate Crime?'
There Is No Hate Crime When A Gang Of Blacks Beat Up A White Kid.
Your Comment.
Teenage gang charged under lynching law after 'savage attack on 18-year-old student'
  • Student so badly injured his mother almost didn't recognise him
  • Youngest member of gang is just 13

By FIONA ROBERTS

Last updated at 3:01 AM on 26th June 2011

Four members of a teenage gang have been charged under a state's lynching law after allegedly beating an 18-year-old student so badly he required facial reconstruction surgery.

South Carolina prosecutors have charged the boys with second-degree assault and battery by mob, a crime which until last year was known as lynching.

The eight members of the gang, the youngest of whom is just 13, allegedly set upon Carter Strange in a parking lot as he jogged back to his home in Columbia.

Carter Strange
Carter Strange

Brutal assault: Carter Strange was left so badly beaten his mother almost didn't recognise him when she saw him lying on the hospital bed

They allegedly turned themselves in after surveillance footage of the gang roaming the streets in the area was released on local television.

The savage attack left Carter so badly injured his mother, Vicki, almost didn't recognise him when she saw him lying on his hospital bed.

She said: 'I literally bent over him; I recognised his hand and his hair, and I said "that's my son".'

He was left with a broken nose and a broken eye socket, and doctors had to operate to remove a blood clot.

Accused: Thyeem Henrey has been charged under South Carolina's former lynching law for the alleged attack

Mrs Strange arrived in court on Friday with her husband, John, to watch as the eldest of the gang, 19-year-old Thyeem Henrey, was charged with second-degree assault and battery by mob, common law robbery, and criminal conspiracy.

A 14-year-old, 15-year-old, and 16-year-old appeared in juvenile court to be charged with strong arm robbery, second-degree assault and battery by a mob, and criminal conspiracy.

A 13-year-old and three other 16-year-olds were charged with criminal conspiracy. They are all too young to be named.

The brutal beating happened last Sunday, when Carter, described as a 'sweet and quiet' boy, was jogging back home from a friend's house.

Mrs Strange said she called him just after midnight, his curfew time.

She told Channel 10: 'At 12:07 he wasn't home, I called him and said "Carter where are you?"

'He said "Momma, I'm almost home. I'll be there in just a minute." At 12:15 I called, but the phone was dead.'

The gang had allegedly been roaming around the area for most of the evening, and police said they had already tried - and failed - to rob four other people.

Carter Strange
Carter Strange

Savage attack: Carter Strange pictured before and after the brutal assault

When they saw Carter, they allegedly ran towards him, savagely assaulted him and stole his cell phone.

Police Chief Randy Scott said: 'This teenager was minding his own business, trying to make his curfew when he was brutally attacked and robbed.'

Henrey broke down in court as Carter's parents vented their anger.

Mrs Strange said: 'Since Carter didn't fight against them eight Sunday, I'm going to fight for him now. I'm going to fight for him until my last breath.'

Her husband said: 'I pray that you get your life right. Find God. If you pray for forgiveness, he will forgive you. I don't have that in my heart right now. Maybe one day, but not today.'

Mrs Strange told Channel 10: 'We got lucky he didn't die. Next person won't be lucky. If they did this now, what's to stop them from doing it again?'

Henrey remains in custody. His bond was set at $750,000.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008252/Teenage-gang-...

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008252/Te...

• iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2011/06/27 17:09:38
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    "The gang had allegedly been roaming around the area for most of the evening, and police said they had already tried - and failed - to rob four other people."

What was the race of the four other failed victims? That's part of it.

Hate crime is not based on a difference in characteristics between the victim and the perpetrator. It is the added intent requirement that the crime be committed primarily or solely because of that difference.

If this victim was targeted due to his race, then it is a hate crime. There is no indication of that here, which would explain the lack of the "cry of hate crime."
  • Sew 2011/06/27 16:49:49
    Your Comment.
    Sew
    This doesn't seem like a hate crime, but just a crime. A bunch of hooligans who happen to be black see a target of oppourtunity who happens to be white and jump him. Of course its brutal because physical beating are always especially brutal by nature. Besides I don't believe in hate crimes at all. Whether or not you hate someone does not change the fact that you commited a crime.
    Eric Holder Says: 'Hate Crime? What Hate Crime?'
    Forget the /politically correct/ ...

TIME to charge these MONSTERS as ADULTS (so what if they are 13 .. too bad, they deliberately committed a SERIOUS CRIME .. and assaulted this young person BRUTALLY).

MAX sentence .. give them the MAX. (and do add attempted murder charges too).
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2011/06/27 07:31:24
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    Thats horrible :( That must have hurt!
  • 2012 rick 2011/06/27 02:37:36
  • ʂıoвнaп ♡ 2011/06/27 00:21:23
    Your Comment.
    ʂıoвнaп ♡
    +1
    Just because a group of black people beat up a white person, doesn't necessarily make it a hate crime. It could have been because of race, or any other factor that would make it a hate crime, but there's no solid proof of it. To me it looks like the motive was just robbery.
  • zbacku ʂıoвнaп ♡ 2011/06/27 02:27:51
    zbacku
    +1
    Other than the fact that if the crime was reversed the media would plaster it all over the news as a hate crime, I am sure that there was a whole lot of hate as the thugs beat this kid to an inch of his life.
  • ʂıoвнaп ♡ zbacku 2011/06/27 20:59:11
    ʂıoвнaп ♡
    I didn't say that it definitely wasn't a hate crime, I just think it looks more like robbery than anything because the gang tried to rob 4 other people without success. It could have been a hate crime, but there's just no real way to prove something like that.
    Your Comment.
    +2
    HATE CRIME.... I don't care if the youngest arrested was 13. CHARGE HIM AS AN ADULT.

They OR their parents pay ALL related medical bill.... ALL of them
    Jail time
    Probation almost forever.
  • Lerro DeHazel 2011/06/26 22:19:13
    Your Comment.
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    I would imagine that THIS is just the tip of the iceberg . .. . With this economy not looking to improve anytime too soo, there will be lots more of these similar crimes in the future . . .
  • Anna E 2011/06/26 21:25:36 (edited)
    Your Comment.
    Anna E
    +2
    Sounds to me like the motive was robbery. If there's any hate in that it's the hatred that someone else has something the robber hates to be without.

I hope the thugs get the max thrown at them.
  • Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~ 2011/06/26 21:21:00
    Your Comment.
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +1
    Apparently the motive was robbery - they had tried to rob four other people prior to Carter Strange. The oldest member of the gang was charged with second-degree assault and battery by mob, common law robbery, and criminal conspiracy.
  • ray 2011/06/26 21:09:10
    ray
    +2
    The fascinating part of this story is that you have to leave the country to hear about it. There are some bloggers talking about it . Where are the outraged news media? Where are the screeching talking heads. Where is the loud mouth with the megaphone screaming about we all need to get along. Where are the outraged politicians?

Why do we have to depend on foreign sources to get the news ?
  • Cptfrea... ray 2011/06/27 00:34:57
    Cptfreakout .
    It's the big secret in America white people are evil , black people are innocent angels the victim of white privilege , too bad the rest of the world knows more about America than most Americans .
    Ever try shortwave receivers ? .
  • ray Cptfrea... 2011/06/27 00:44:42
    ray
    +1
    Long ago used to listen to the broadcast late at night. Pretty much had forgotten about it.
  • Bob 2011/06/26 19:35:46
    Bob
    +1
    As IF, with the likes of this racist Administration.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2011/06/26 19:34:59
    Your Comment.
    NarcolepticGoat
    +2
    did they target him because he was white? Because he was a teen? Because they thought he was rich? Or because he was a target of opportunity?

That's the problem with hate crimes. They should be charged for what they did: attempted murder
  • vannuck 2011/06/26 19:20:17
    Your Comment.
    vannuck
    First of all where is the evidence that this was a hate crime? I'ver read both the report and the link and their is nothing to suggest that this is a hate crime....not even something as simple as one racal slur directed at the victim and as much as I hate to say it this was a crime of opportunity.
  • zbacku vannuck 2011/06/26 20:58:56
    zbacku
    +3
    So, if a black teen was jumped, beaten almost to death and lynched by a bunch of white kids, what chances would there be that it would NOT be reported as a 'hate' crime.
    Jackson and Sharpton would be all over the news claiming a 'hate' crime.
  • Lady Wh... zbacku 2011/06/26 22:54:46
    +1
    agreed
  • vannuck zbacku 2011/06/27 08:43:11
  • Tamara McMillan 2011/06/26 18:45:19
    Your Comment.
    Tamara McMillan
    +2
    When the guilty parties are caught It is a crime which should always be taken seriously reguardless of your skin color, who you are or what you do. Unfortunately it is not as such and sadly to say often time the guilty are not even pursued. If our crimminal system, courts and law system were overhauled and improved Hate Crime could be non exsistant. Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.
  • MAMMY51♥POTL~PWCM~JLA♥ 2011/06/26 18:32:22
    MAMMY51♥POTL~PWCM~JLA♥
    +6
    Didn't you know, according to this administration, only straight, white, Protestants, can commit hate crimes?
  • I am not real 2011/06/26 18:31:07
    Your Comment.
    I am not real
    +4
    These cowards attack people for no reason whatsoever, the guy was alone, he was an easy mark for them and my sympathy goes to both him and his family but it goes on in all cities throughout the world, they would have attacked a lone person be it black, white or multi coloured.
  • ray I am no... 2011/06/26 21:12:19
    ray
    +1
    Anything that looks like a victim becomes a victim is true. Perhaps the severity is increased by race?
  • Jareth Majere 2011/06/26 18:29:13
    Your Comment.
    Jareth Majere
    +5
    if it walks like a duck...
  • TasselLady 2011/06/26 18:26:49
    Your Comment.
    TasselLady
    +4
    It's a form of bullying, plain and simple and should be severely punished.

2014/10/22 12:36:03