Where does your sense of right and wrong come from?

Cuckold 2013/02/18 04:38:14
My Parents...
My Grandparents...
My Church...
My Synagogue...
My Family...
My AA Group...
My NA Group...
My OE Group...
The Boy/Girl Scouts...
The Bible...
The Koran...
The Government...
The Vedas...
The Tanakh...
I don't have morals...
Gut Instinct...
A bird told me...
Larry Flynt...
Margaret Sanger...
Havelock Ellis...
People seem to know what is right and wrong instinctively. Yet, when asked to prove that something is either right or wrong, some of us have a little difficulty. Maybe your Mom and Dad taught you that, but that is not proof anyone will accept. Maybe your Church or Social Group taught you right from wrong, but that is not proof anyone will accept either.

America has Laws that define what is a crime, but this isn't a comprehensive guide to morality. Many people believe that if there isn't a law against it than it is okay. Most of us know this is false. Morality has become subjective. My morals are mine and I shouldn't have the right to subject you to my rules, right? I believe this is wrong.

I hear the argument from many non-religious types that organized religion is hooey and therefore the teachings aren't valid. Many of my morals are consistent with the teaching of the Church so does that make them hooey? The Grimm and Doctor Seuss stories are popular tales that contain valuable life lessons, yet the provide no scientific proof. If I mentioned to an Atheist that you shouldn't "Cry Wolf" they will readily accept that as good advice, yet tell them not to commit a sin and they will laugh at you.

All of us have morals. Some have High Moral standards and some have Low Moral standards. Somebody has to be the judge. The Law becomes the judge when they create a Law legalizing or permitting a particular thing. What if the Law violates my morality?

Does the Law that violates my morality mean that my morality is wrong? If I can't make you live by my morality, why do I have to live by your morality?

Morality is often associated with Religion. I'm not sure why. I think they coined the term. Because of this association i believe that Morality has become personal. There needs to be an open discussion on spreading a greater understanding of morality and it's affect on Society. Morality needs to be brought out of the bedroom and into the spotlight.

No longer does the saying "Whatever you do in your bedroom is fine." Whoever came up with that was a genius. Too bad! I do care what you do in your bedroom. I care if it hurts a child an animal or any human being.

My morality is mine and I'm proud of it! Get out of my way because I'm not facilitating you're immoral behavior! If the Law condones a behavior that violates my morality I will fight it and whomever partakes in that behavior!

Don't ask me where my morality comes from because it is instinctive. I don't need to read some doomsayer hack with a negative view of humanity to explain to me that man is nothing more than a mature animal and the survival of man depends on the survival of the fittest.

The next time somebody tells you not to judge them ask them why? They are violating your morality and need to be held accountable for it. It is quite likely that your morality is the correct standard to which all people must be held.

• User Deactivated 2013/02/18 04:41:49 (edited)
    Gut Instinct...
    User Deactivated
    +5
    There are things I was taught were 'wrong' but mainly it just comes as a result of how acting or speaking in that manner makes me feel. If I feel guilt or shame, or the like from it, then it is wrong. Also, if it is* something I wouldn't want someone saying or doing to me, it is wrong for me to speak or act in that manner.

• S8 2013/03/13 22:21:55
    The Koran...
    S8
    +1
    ... because my grandparents and parents are moslem and were taught the morality from the "Koran", which is "The Ideal Guide" for a human being to live at peace.
  • Beccy 2013/02/28 01:54:29
    My Grandparents...
    +1
    My parents divorced when I was very young. Both sets of grandparents took an active role in teaching us life's lessons. They were wonderful people
  • ¤Creepy Lumberjack¤ >-QC-< 2013/02/25 16:46:22
    ¤Creepy Lumberjack¤ >-QC-<
    +1
    My life experience, my education and my reason.
  • What'sIT 2013/02/20 01:20:42
    What'sIT
    +1
    Millions of real three dimensional people (myself included) can debate that a million times over each over thousands of years which is better than searching through misinterpreted and changed fragments of scrolls that were supposedly written by an absent landlord...
    god you are here
  • Cuckold What'sIT 2013/02/20 05:06:51
    Cuckold
    Perhaps you could do us a favor and read the scrolls yourself and interpret them for us.

I don't think anybody really think the scrolls were written by the Big Guy himself.
  • What'sIT Cuckold 2013/02/20 09:25:00
    What'sIT
    +2
    Check out this question.. https://www.sodahead.com/livi...
    The information there will tell how the Catholic church added the idea of the holy trinity around that time and that for over 1000 years a person who had a bible was burned alive with their bibles. Why? The trinity didn't exist in previous scriptures and whole chapters in bible books were intentionally lost (or rather destroyed). Also banned books by the brothers of Jesus spoke of him as a wise man but never ever as the savior that he was depicted as in more recent bibles. Soooo what scriptures are unreliable (even from a Christian point of view),.. Almost ll Of Them..
  • Cuckold What'sIT 2013/02/20 11:49:30 (edited)
    Cuckold
    Yeah, He said She said.

It is no secret that the Christians committed atrocities in the name of their religion throughout history.

What is lesser known, is that the Bible is a hodgepodge of selected scrolls whose compilation was intended to tell a particular story. And that some of these stories where written well after the fact with the sole purpose of controlling behavior.

This manipulation of historic events changes not the fact that a great teacher named Jesus was born and lived 2k years ago. What it does change is the rituals and authenticity of the stories contained in the Bible.

Nobody doubts that the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf never actually occurred as written; yet the lesson or moral of the story is no less valuable.

People write books about how to conduct their lives all the time. There are many Bibles for the many religions of the World. People are free to read an interpret them how the see fit. This is no different for the Christians. At least the Christian Bible can be said to be "inspired by actual events."

I'm pretty sure they put their murderous past behind. Their facilitation of the Nazi exodus at the end of WWII should be the focus of any criticism. They need to be investigated for that. I think the key to looking at the Church is to see it as sort of a Fede...
    Yeah, He said She said.

I'm pretty sure they put their murderous past behind. Their facilitation of the Nazi exodus at the end of WWII should be the focus of any criticism. They need to be investigated for that. I think the key to looking at the Church is to see it as sort of a Federal and State Governmental system. The Feds (Vatican) are the main power, yet States (Diocese) really call the shots. If the Feds get overly rambunctious, the States will cut all ties with the Feds.
  • cheshirewayne 2013/02/19 23:27:41
    cheshirewayne
    +1
    It's simple, I'm right and your wrong. Get over it.

WOW, I wonder if I accidently took my wife's estrogen pill this morning.
  • Piper 2013/02/19 19:33:46
    Gut Instinct...
    Piper
    +1
    Although I'm sure my parents instilled a sense of what is right and wrong, and even the church at first, my own sense of it often differed. This is a very interesting question, and one I've wondered about from an early age.
    I find it wrong to kill a bug, if there is another option, and I didn't get that feeling from anyone else.
  • Cuckold Piper 2013/02/19 21:12:51
    Cuckold
    +1
    I think most people think killing a bug is wrong, but once they do it they get desensitized. Perhaps that is the way it is with a lot of things. Our tolerance for immorality builds the more we are exposed to it.
  • Piper Cuckold 2013/02/19 22:15:39
    Piper
    +1
    Yes, perhaps that is the way with a lot things. I may not agree that most people think killing other life that inconveniences them in some way is wrong. Many people think it's perfectly fine to kill something, just because they don't 'like' it, and always have.
  • Robbb 2013/02/19 11:50:17
    Robbb
    +2
    Our deepest sense of right and wrong comes to us in our genes. it is instinctive and has evolved with man as man evolved. When considering right and wrong one has to be careful not to include the rules that are no more then cultural mores that more often then not are the result of religious distortions. even the animals that we see in the wild have codes of behaviour that help them stay organised and helps their group to cooperate and survive. Don’t believe anyone that says god texted the rules to us a couple of thousand years ago.
  • Cuckold Robbb 2013/02/19 12:12:05
    Cuckold
    +2
    Does it matter if God texted the rules or the rules came from a very smart person named Confucius? If the rules make sense, why not use them? If Merlin the Magician decreed that Murder was wrong, does it matter that he was merely a Magician?

As for Cultural mores, they dictate what a society will tolerate. Does it not make sense to abide by the standards of the company you keep? When in Rome? If you're at my house and I find it unacceptable to masturbate whilst watching the Flintstones.... Shouldn't you obey my wishes and put a sock on it?
  • Robbb Cuckold 2013/02/19 19:21:37
    Robbb
    +1
    You asked where does the sense of right and wrong come from. And I said these feelings were something that had become a part of us as we evolved. These were not thought up by any philosopher’s magicians or kings. They evolved as a result of them enabling us to live together successfully. I can’t imagine a society thriving unless these were formed. The same rules aply throughout the animal kingdom.

As for cultural mores they may be beneficial in some instances or fun or they may just be a way of passing down knowledge or strengthening social cohesion. But when it comes to social mores forcing children to be genitally mutilated or women being mistreated and religious persecution, I don’t put a sock in it I try to spread the word things are wrong and apply my inner feeling of what I feel is right and wrong. When in Rome is all very well but when one sees a wrong committed one should try to at least protest. as for our last example that sounds reasonable to me You do have a right to as people to behave in the way you think is appropriate to them on your turf.
  • Donnie 2013/02/19 02:43:10
    Donnie
    +2
    by my humanity.
  • John 2013/02/19 02:07:57
    Gut Instinct...
    John
    +2
    it is all about survival and common sense made into law. Through law we prohibit actions that are harmful to individuals and the community at large. It is self protection.
  • Cuckold John 2013/02/19 04:45:35
    Cuckold
    +1
    Do you know of any actions that violate your morality that are permitted by Law?
  • John Cuckold 2013/02/19 05:26:42
    John
    +2
    Yes. I will start with late term abortion and capital punishment.
  • Super l... Cuckold 2013/02/19 06:02:06
  • Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2013/02/18 23:14:23
    Gut Instinct...
    Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +2
    Doing or observing anything that I wouldn't want done to me, would necessarily make me feel it deep down in the pit of my gut.
  • Jesterz 2013/02/18 22:29:47
    Jesterz
    +1
    Part logic, part gut feeling...
  • Cuckold Jesterz 2013/02/19 04:47:08
    Cuckold
    +1
    Logic is not an easy thing to grasp.
  • Jesterz Cuckold 2013/02/19 12:59:51
    Jesterz
    +1
    I know, looking around I can see not many do... But once you get a hold of it, you can withstand a lot of the nonesense flying around... ;o)
  • James Adams 2013/02/18 21:51:30
    My Parents...
    James Adams
    +1
    Moistly my parents. They are great people.
  • Cuckold James A... 2013/02/19 04:49:46
    Cuckold
    I believe you:-)
  • Super l... James A... 2013/02/19 06:02:21
  • Tootsie 2013/02/18 20:49:13
    Gut Instinct...
    Tootsie
    +1
    If it feels wrong to me it always is. If it feels like someone is squeezing my heart really tight.
  • Cuckold Tootsie 2013/02/19 04:51:12
    Cuckold
    +1
    I think that is the best explanation I've read yet.

Thank you.... I would never argue with you about morality:-)
  • Jere 2013/02/18 20:15:10
    Jere
    +1
    Torah and Talmud.
  • Cuckold Jere 2013/02/19 04:51:40
    Cuckold
    Should I know them?
  • Jere Cuckold 2013/02/19 05:03:10
    Jere
    +1
    Only if your Jewish as I am.
  • Super l... Jere 2013/02/19 06:03:03
  • None of the above
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +2
    From within myself. It hurts me to hurt others. I'm sure that family and religion played a roll but most just comes from within.
  • Cuckold Jerry (... 2013/02/19 04:52:34
    Cuckold
    Can something be immoral, yet hurt no one?
  • Jere Cuckold 2013/02/19 05:03:36
    Jere
    Many things
  • Super l... Jere 2013/02/19 06:04:03
  • Jerry (... Cuckold 2013/02/19 13:07:06
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +1
    Yes, I would say that cheating on a spouse fits into that category when the cheater does not get caught. Masturbating to child pornography would most certainly fit.
  • Cuckold Jerry (... 2013/02/19 14:09:56
    Cuckold
    Mmm, very interesting... I've heard many people say that the absence of physical pain means a particular action is moral.

For instance: Abortion. Some abortion supporters say that the baby does not feel pain when it is aborted therefore it is okay to kill it.

What say you?
  • Jerry (... Cuckold 2013/02/19 14:13:38
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +2
    I say that abortion is immoral in most cases and that the unborn child does feel pain.
  • Cuckold Jerry (... 2013/02/19 14:51:59
    Cuckold
    +3
    Your morality comes from within, but abortionists morality comes from a scientist or a book. The Law is also backing the morality of the abortionists.

As you know, you are paying tax money to subsidize abortion. Yet, if you try and stop this immoral act you are guilty of inflicting your morals on the abortionists. But they are inflicting their morals on you.

How can we continue as a functional society with such a perverse sense of morality?

2014/09/30 17:53:53