Where can people smoke these days??

BrianD3 2011/09/26 18:39:17

Right now we are embroiled in a heated debate about smoking at work. I am not a smoker, I quit a couple decades ago but I do feel for these people.

I understand not smoking in a resturant, at the office or on a plane as people are packed pretty tight and it is botersome to many. So the smokers were kicked out of these places and they were herded outside.

But now, outside is not good enough. The powers that be didnt like them standing around the enterance to the building, said it botehered people coming in and that it looked bad; and I get that.

So they moved them to the backside of the building and there they have sat for years not really bothering anyone, until now......

Now, it is no longer good enough for them to be at the backside of the building........

Where then, should they go?

• David 2011/09/26 19:46:22
    David
    +7
    Anywhere they have the balls to make it stick and the ability to put up with the undue harassment. I don't smoke, but anti-smoker fascistas really chap my gizzard, and I _will_ and _have_ defended smokers from such cretinous tyrants whenever possible.

• JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2011/10/03 07:04:41
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Like David said......
  • Siansta 2011/09/29 22:29:32
    Siansta
    +1
    anywhere
  • JoeDee 2011/09/28 23:16:09
  • Wyveryx JoeDee 2011/09/29 07:29:10
    Wyveryx
    +2
    Retarded eh?

So i take it my smoking is far worse that any of the toxins pumped into the the air by companies...

retarded eh smoking toxins pumped air companies

or what about the crap exuded by your car?

retarded eh smoking toxins pumped air companies crap exuded car

Oh yeah, you have to pay to make sure that you don't have your car spewing out second hand smoke too.

Hell if you think that's hilarious, why don't you check out public transportation...

yeah pay car spewing hand smoke hilarious check public transportation

A bit hypocritical that they would choose such a billboard while their exhaust is just as bad if not worse than second hand smoke from a cigarette.

And I'm supposed to be the retarded one....
  • JoeDee Wyveryx 2011/09/29 08:34:11
    JoeDee
    yep!
  • Wyveryx JoeDee 2011/09/29 19:32:48
    Wyveryx
    well i'll make sure to drool away from all the other toxins being spewed in your face from something other than smoking. However, if or when you get lung cancer from then, I'll come forth and bellow a hearty... "i told ya so".
  • JoeDee Wyveryx 2011/09/29 22:02:01
    JoeDee
    Bottom line is with all this stupidity going on, smoking cancer sticks isnt the answer. HELLO!!!!!!!!!
  • Wyveryx JoeDee 2011/09/30 13:00:47
    Wyveryx
    +1
    neither is treating those with an addiction, be it smoking or otherwise, like second hand citizens while at the same time taking advantage of that addiction by tacking on exorbitant taxes.
  • l8rthen Wyveryx 2011/09/29 21:39:04
    l8rthen
    I have thought the same thing when stopped at light and I am breathing carbon monoxide in.
    Nice comment and pics!
  • Wyveryx l8rthen 2011/09/30 13:02:49
    Wyveryx
    +1
    thanks
    I know that smoking is bad, I know that second hand smoke is also bad. But I hate hypocrisy, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth so to speak.
  • Thank you but no... 2011/09/28 16:23:26
    Thank you but no...
    +1
    As a smoker I am happy to smoke away from other (non smoking) people, but I think we have gone as far as we are justified in going with our bans.
  • Jensola 2011/09/28 15:50:57
    Jensola
    +1
    They should probably try to give up - they're endangering their own lives and other people's around them! I used to work in a hospital and not only did the smokers get loads of breaks whereas non-smokers didn't and had to man the office while they smoked and gossiped outside, but it looked AWFUL to be standing in hospital grounds smoking amongst sick and dying people coming in and out!!
  • BrianD3 Jensola 2011/10/07 17:20:57
    BrianD3
    +1
    I can agree about the extra breaks and it looking bad.
  • Fresno State Fan CB-05 2011/09/28 04:42:12
    Fresno State Fan CB-05
    +2
    As long as they stay the hell away from me, they can smoke their lungs out.

smoking is gross
  • AN 2011/09/28 02:29:05
    AN
    +1
    What about the roof?
  • Andy 2011/09/27 21:13:50
    Andy
    +2
    In the car...or at home... sorry.
  • Zammo 2011/09/27 17:46:35
    Zammo
    +1
    At home. When I used to smoke I didn't do it at work because I didn't feel like listening to people lecture me and I wasn't so hooked I couldn't wait.
  • GaolBlaze 2011/09/27 17:03:05
    GaolBlaze
    +2
    Outside, only it's REALLY annoying! People should just have a smoking room...
  • LittleMistersMom 2011/09/27 16:20:30
    LittleMistersMom
    +3
    Our state has the 15 feet law. You have to be 15 feet from any doors or windows of a public building. I think that should suffice. Other than that, the people wanting them to just quit are being d-bags in my opinion. You can't MAKE someone quit, they have to want to. And whining and putting them in an akward position just makes us want to smoke around you to tick you off even more!

I don't smoke in my house, and I don't smoke in my car when I have my son. But I'll be damned the day they say I can't smoke on my own porch, or in the parking lot at work. I'll become a spiteful smoker then! lol
  • Aksana 2011/09/27 16:20:22
  • Curmudgeon 2011/09/27 13:52:51
    Curmudgeon
    +3
    I really have no idea why these kinds of laws are around to begin with, as where I am they passed a law whereby you can't smoke on a OUTDOOR patio as the smoke might bother someone.

The law is stupid, the fine for breaking it is insane.
  • SicFux651 2011/09/27 12:45:38
    SicFux651
    +2
    you can smoke walking down the street and at parks
  • ♠Jen♠ BN - 0 2011/09/27 11:42:56
    ♠Jen♠ BN - 0
    +1
    If certain politicians have their way, tobacco will become taboo.
  • LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME 2011/09/27 10:46:54 (edited)
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +5
    That is just stupid, given that forcing ppl out onto the traffic busy street, they are inhaling all sorts of carbon monoxide, tire particles, gas fumes, not to mention cold/wet air, etc...this will kill anyone at least as fast as smoking. I've heard that in NYC proper ppl are not allowed to smoke even outside on the street, but women can go topless since 1992. Why do you suppose that is? It's because our fed gov allows big corporations, e.g., big pharma to WRITE LAW, and then they demand we pass it without reading it. No lawyer would ever advise such a reckless act.. But back to smoking, nearby here in Sugar Creek, Missouri, we may smoke openly in the smoking sections of restaurant, (not to mention conceal/carry weapons if we want anywhere in the state). And it is homemade and excellent company w/ no harassing and reasonable prices. Very laid back. Brilliant pie crust, unassuming prices and ppl. I love it.
  • LittleM... LisaWay... 2011/09/27 16:22:46
    LittleMistersMom
    +3
    i love missouri
    I have family there. Such a beautiful state :)
  • XD 2011/09/27 07:14:17
    XD
    +1
    SCHOOL_WASHROOM xD
  • Chukroast 2011/09/27 06:52:49
    Chukroast
    +1
    There ain't no stinkin' place to smoke. Chew gum!
  • Brian Tristan MacQuillan 2011/09/27 05:47:48
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +2
    Hey, smoking used to be like dessert, or a snack, then people ended up with one of those things hanging out of their mouths 24/7, everywhere. Churches, and other houses of worship, were probably the only places you could find people not smoking. Doctors were doing exams with one, car mechanics working on a car with one, it was ubiquitous, and basically insane that people were smoking everywhere and anywhere.

Now we are going the other direction, if you smoke, go over there, about 100 yards, in the middle of that field, there is a gravel pit for you to climb down in, and smoke. In a way it is funny ha ha, and in a way it is funny not ha ha, all at the same time.

If smokers in general, would have understood that some people do not want to smell like cigarettes, and did not want to be around it, and they had been a bit more respectful of where they lit up, maybe things would not be so restrictive now. It is the revenge of the anti-smokers.

On the other hand, I think the restrictions on smoking (out back by the dumpster, over by the sewage treatment plant, under the bridge, on the special smoking bench by the leech pit over yonder) are a bit too much, and overboard. Certainly people that do not smoke should have a right to be away from it altogether, but this whole thing of treating smokers like they are smallpox carriers is a bit much.
  • MYSTIC MYSTIQUE 2011/09/27 05:14:50
    MYSTIC MYSTIQUE
    +5
    outside is the best place its kinda tardy that non smokers complain about people smoking outside......I dont hear them complaining about the toxic air coming from their cars and factories???? same thing people we all breath it in anyways sooo non smokers buy a mask to protect your sensitive noses from the big bad cigerette smoke O_O
  • out damned spot 2011/09/27 01:48:20
  • Wyveryx 2011/09/27 01:42:33
    Wyveryx
    +4
    I tell ya, more and more these days I'm tempted to smoke anywhere I damn well please. I've gone through great lengths to appease non smokers.

I've left an isolated area when they arrived, or put out my cigarette.

I've isolated myself in a designated area so that there is little chance of smoke affecting anyone in a 10 foot radius.

I've put up with temperamental people chiding me in my so called abhorrent behavior and kept my mouth shut.

I've not smoked in my own home or car when non smokers are visiting or riding in my car.

I've tried to explain to people who venture near a smoking area that this a designated spot and there is second hand smoke.

There are a lot of things that I have done, yet I am still berated and insulted and called names. I'm considered a second class citizen by many, including my own elected government, yet I still pay taxes and help support those who don't smoke.
    I pay more into a system that doesn't delegate funds properly, yet am constantly told that all my money goes only to smoker related illness and prevention.

How much more am I expected to tolerate?

But hey, it's all good, I've got an addiction. I know it. I know what my addiction is caused by and I know that one day I'll be able to beat it, when I am ready. There is no cure for being a j...

But hey, it's all good, I've got an addiction. I know it. I know what my addiction is caused by and I know that one day I'll be able to beat it, when I am ready. There is no cure for being a jerk. And if you're one of those incurable people, do me a favor and tell me which is worse: Smoking a pack a day, or closing your garage and leaving your car running... Oh yeah, one kills you a little faster...
  • Always ... Wyveryx 2011/09/28 18:22:14
    Always Right
    +1
    I agree. If all smokers quit, what would government tax to make up for less revenue?
  • Wyveryx Always ... 2011/09/29 07:41:40
    Wyveryx
    +2
    Oh I'm sure they would find something to hike taxes on, maybe beer and liquor. Though in my state now there's an increase of sales tax on these items:

extend the state sales tax to bottled water, candy and gum

two-cents more per can tax on soda pop

28 cents more tax per six-pack of mass produced beer, although microbrews are exempt

$1 more tax on cigarettes

So people tell me that I'm bad, yet it looks like my kind are paying more and more...and since the number game says smoking in general is decreasing, I'm starting to wonder where the future of health related illnesses and prevention plans are going.
  • LisaWay... Wyveryx 2011/09/29 08:17:47
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    This is a great example of how big government screws the ppl with the party line that they are making ppl safer. Smokers, drinkers, gamblers, etc-- depending on the deals your reps make -- the ppl pay more, and big corporations, in bed with big government, profit, but how is that making anybody more safe? How is taxing bottled water making anybody more safe? It is arbitrary and has to do with the huge corp.s and who they make deals with-- lobbyists for these corporations are now allowed to WRITE LAW, and our elected law makers either know and profit, or don't know and just go along with it, but either way it is CORPORATISM, and has NOTHING to do with any kind of humanitarian effort. Better to leave these things up to the people, the local or at worst the state gov, because the closer it all is to you, the more likely they will share your interests, and the better you can keep your eye on them and follow the money, and the more voice everyone involved with have with all. We The People ARE the government!
  • Always ... Wyveryx 2011/09/29 14:28:37
    Always Right
    You said it better than I could.
  • "Abe" 2011/09/27 00:56:47
    "Abe"
    +3
    If the liberal "progressive" @ssholes in this US of "A" have their f__cking way - no where. They ALL forget their HISTORY. The "crops" this country was founded on were - TOBACCO, COTTON, AND CORN". Ain't that a "crock". D@mn, I am beginning to hate this life~~!!

usa founded on tobacco
  • LisaWay... "Abe" 2011/09/27 18:19:21
    LisaWay☮JUST MARCH HOME
    +1
    These kinds of laws are neither liberal nor progressive. I wish people would have the balls to just say who and what they are. There is nothing worse than a tyrant who calls himself a humanitarian.
  • "Abe" LisaWay... 2011/09/27 23:14:41
  • joe ramirez 2011/09/27 00:48:32
    joe ramirez
    +2
    In their car!
  • Gordon 2011/09/27 00:35:05
    Gordon
    +2
    Smokers should feel free to smoke at least 1,000 feet from any person, dog, or building.

2014/07/30 23:31:38