When Should Kids Learn About The Birds And The Bees?

Kids really aren't so innocent these days … and they may soon be even less innocent.

Sex education should be taught to children from the age of five to give them the skills and confidence they need to delay sex until they are ready, a British health watchdog said on Thursday.

"All children and young people are entitled to high-quality education about sex, relationships and alcohol to help them make responsible decisions and acquire the skills and confidence to delay sex until they are ready," The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence said, according to a Reuters report.

But will learning about sex at age five really help kids delay intimacy? When did you learn about the birds and the bees?

Read More: http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/us_britain_schoo...

• Melizmatic 2010/06/17 17:51:00 (edited)
    Melizmatic
    +28
    Ooh, I can already anticipate all the angry, narrow-minded responses I'm gonna get for this one.

Oh well, so be it.

:::prepares to put settings on "Block":::

" When Should Kids Learn About The Birds And The Bees?"

Whenever they ask & are capable of understanding the answers.

My 5 year old asked me just the other day how babies get into the mommies' bellies. I told her, in the simplest terms that I could, and showed her a video of a baby being born. Her response was very apt & mature. "That looks like it hurts."

But she got the point.

It's my belief that a big part of the problem is that our society (hypocritically) demonizes sex & human sexuality, to the point that we do ourselves and our children a great disservice. Telling tales of the stork & the cabbage patch is counterproductive, IMO.

Although sex is a natural biological function for all mammals, the majority of us mire it down with our personal moral hang-ups and judgments.

That being said, I would never allow a school or any governmental institution to teach my child the basic attributes of such an important aspect of life.

As parents, it is our responsibility to be our children's first teachers; if you wait for the system to teach your kids about biology, the lesson may very well be skewed and so belated that it won't ben...

Oh well, so be it.

But she got the point.

As parents, it is our responsibility to be our children's first teachers; if you wait for the system to teach your kids about biology, the lesson may very well be skewed and so belated that it won't benefit them at all.

What good is sex ed to a 14 year old who's already pregnant?

That may sound extreme, but it is a harsh reality, and it's becoming more and more common.

The best way to avoid such circumstances is by being honest & forthcoming with your children as soon as they are capable of comprehending.

Keep it real with them now, & maybe they'll keep it real with YOU later, when it really counts.

Putting off the inevitable is only asking for trouble.

Knowledge is a powerful weapon; we need to "arm" our children well.

comprehending real real counts inevitable trouble powerful weapon arm children

• ΚύριλλοςWickenberg 2010/06/18 11:53:30
    ΚύριλλοςWickenberg
    +2
    Teach them while they are young then when they get older they will not depart form it.
  • Syrian-Scorpion 2010/06/18 10:58:44
    Syrian-Scorpion
    +2
    Development is
    A major cause of
    In the children's awareness
  • gabe 2010/06/18 10:46:05
    gabe
    i think thats way to young let them keep there innocents becuz i wish i had, i think sex education should be introduce in 6th grade up normally 11-12 year olds
  • stahlnacht 2010/06/18 10:22:45
    stahlnacht
    Uh...my sister may not have been five....but she was seven when she saw porn for the first time.
  • Heather123abc 2010/06/18 07:34:02
    Heather123abc
    I believe that when a child asks a question they should recieve an honest answer in language that they understand.

When did I start learning....I was 8. I remeber getting curious about pregnancy and puberty and I asked my mom.
  • lily 2010/06/18 07:04:39 (edited)
    lily
    +1
    omg it is the parents responsibility! and as soon as they ask about it..and no sugar coating it with little stork stories
  • Walks_on_Clouds 2010/06/18 05:52:09
    Walks_on_Clouds
    +1
    Another reason we educate our children ourselves. We slowly educate our children at a level appropriate for their age then build on it more as they age. So sex education begins as soon as they can understand the difference between what's in their underwear. That's different for every child.

When I was young, guys talked. Between that and discovering my dad's Playboys, Penthouse and Hustler magazines I had it all pretty well figured out at the age of 9 or 10. My dad sat me down at 12 and I just asked him to stop because I'd already figured it all out. Twelve! I could see he was having a difficult time and my comment gave him a huge sigh of relief. I think my mom finally put him to the task he was avoiding all those years. Sad, but funny.
  • Brino 2010/06/18 05:49:15
    Brino
    +3
    I was first taught in school in fifth grade, and I think this is a good time to begin teaching kids, however parents should begin answering questions whenever the kids begin to ask. Also I believe that parents should teach their kids what to do in inappropriate situations as early as possible for safe measures.

But we also need to take into consideration how sexed up our society is right now. Children are losing their virginity in 4th and 5th grade. This is unacceptable, and i believe the exploitation of sex is to blame. It's hard to believe that early and proper education is the cause of this. Alot of different factors determine how a child will turn out in the end.
  • NObamaGirl ~ Viva Cristo Rey!~ 2010/06/18 05:46:10
    NObamaGirl ~ Viva Cristo Rey!~
    Personally, my parents took a values approach to it when I was little. I learned the in-depth biology of it around 5th grade, and I didn't get any of the perverted jokes people made around me until joining a volley ball team with public high schoolers when I was 14.

There is something very nice to be said about keeping that kind of ignorance for awhile, until it naturally goes away. I certainly wouldn't take it from child if they seemed to be happy not knowing.
  • Toria 2010/06/18 05:46:04
    Toria
    Age apporate sex education works very well. My parents answered questions about Sex as they came up. They treated the subject as calmly as if I was asking about the color of the sky. My father's a Dr. and had really cool models. Mom did that because of what had happend to her Mother back in the 1920's. My grandmother had been going through the change as a 13 year old. In Church her monthy started and her mother didn't know enough to tell her what was going on. My Grandmother went home positive she would soon die. She went through that every month till she was a married woman. That is what happens when you keep Young People dumb and uninformed.
    I'm 48 yrs. and we had age specifc sex ed. way back then in School. I had it from Kindergarten. on through my school years. If it was ok in the 60's I think its kind-of stone age not to have it today. K-5th grade really only covered "this is a woman and this is a man" and keeping yourself clean and neat. 5th grade when changes start to happen is the right age for Teachers to cover the facts of how things happen as bodies change and what those changes can do. Teachers shoud cover Sex Ed. every year. It helps to keep kids safe. The more young people are informed the less mistakes happen.
  • skunkboy 2010/06/18 05:45:47
  • SeaSparkzz 2010/06/18 05:20:52
    SeaSparkzz
    +1
    Children should learn when they ask questions. There is no reason to bring it up to them, just let them ask and answer them in a way they can understand. This should be done by the parents. Sex ed in school should be around age 8 or 9... before the kids' bodies start changing, which happens shortly after that age.
    Learning about it will make them less curious, not more curious.
    +1
    A waste of time and a great deal of misperceptions are involved.
  • Magic Twanger 2010/06/18 04:55:27
    Magic Twanger
    I was 10 when I had the lecture and figured the rest out by myself, neighborhood kids male and female were happy to experiment, touching and feeling. At12 my cousin took me to the barn on our family farm and because I was ahead of myself physically and she was 16 and I already had a man size penis and she taught me to use it well.
  • thє вlu... Magic T... 2010/06/18 06:05:48
  • Flek 2010/06/18 04:44:38 (edited)
    Flek
    +1
    I asked about babies when I was like four or five and was given an honest answer in medical terms, I am not messed up sexually, and do not constantly obsess over it. In my opinion another factor that needs addressed is parents referring to anatomy as a wee wee, or a well, whatever baby talk there is for the female anatomy. If parents open up, and are up front and honest early, children will respect sex and not A- be scared of it, and B- when they learn about it in health, they will be able to handle it maturely

I am not even sure what "the birds and the bees" is.
  • Lavendergrl 2010/06/18 04:36:49
    Lavendergrl
    I was taught TOO young and it screwed me up. Teaching kids about sex before they're ready sexualizes them and sets them up to behave in sexually inappropriate ways, opening the doors to sexual predators, early promiscuity, and everything that goes along with sexual awareness. Let the kids ask the questions when THEY are ready and slowly guide them into the information when they are old enough to handle it. This blanket sex-ed at 5 idea is a bad one.
  • Whyputa... Lavende... 2010/06/18 05:23:10
    Whyputaname
    But what if they ask at the age of 5, especially if you have animals in the house. Such as cats and dogs that are pregnant and giving birth. Usually that is when questions get ask.

Do you just avoid the question......
  • Lavende... Whyputa... 2010/06/18 05:41:54 (edited)
    Lavendergrl
    +1
    I have four kids. My oldest asked questions at 6. The others have been at different ages, clear up to 8. The thing is kids are ready at different times. And trust me, I didn't get into all the nitty-gritty of the sex act when I was explaining it to her at first. She came back over a series of months with more questions until we'd filled in all the blanks. I let HER guide the discussion. That's what I think is key.
  • thє вlu... Whyputa... 2010/06/18 06:06:12
  • Whyputa... thє вlu... 2010/06/18 06:14:32
    Whyputaname
    Some people don't see it that way!
  • Jason Suggs 2010/06/18 04:11:46
    Jason Suggs
    +1
    I think parents should decide and not the state. I dont agree with sex education in the schools at all. It is none of the schools business.
  • Whyputa... Jason S... 2010/06/18 05:19:19 (edited)
    Whyputaname
    What if they have a parent that isn't quite being a parent for whatever reason, and there isn't another relative around.
  • Jason S... Whyputa... 2010/06/18 07:07:51
    Jason Suggs
    +1
    Unless the parent is truly unfit to be a parent at all, the state really should not be involved. Good parents kiss a boo boo. Is the state supposed to come in a kiss boo boos for parents who dont? the state is unfit to raise children.
  • Whyputa... Jason S... 2010/06/18 17:18:02 (edited)
    Whyputaname
    I think most people understand that the parent is the best person for the job.

But clearly it is over your head.........

Foster people work for the state!.....
  • Jason S... Whyputa... 2010/06/18 21:33:35
    Jason Suggs
    It's not over my head. My brother and his wife are foster parents. They have the roll of the parent, so I would include them as parents. But teachers are not parents. I really think this is something that the parent figures who live with the children and have primary care for them should be the ones to decide what is best for each child individually.
  • Whyputa... Jason S... 2010/06/19 00:08:45 (edited)
    Whyputaname
    Would you call them parents if they are being paid to do it.....

They are part of the state employment rolls if they are being paid to take care of Children......

Even though you brother may be a good foster parent doesn't mean everyone is as well........
  • Jason S... Whyputa... 2010/06/19 01:15:23
    Jason Suggs
    Ayayay. I made myself clear already. I believe that the best person to discuss matters of sex with young children is the parents. In the case of fosterchildren, it would have to be the foster parents. Otherwise, it is not a governmental issue and should not be determined by the government.

The point is that children have parents or step parents or guardians or foster parents. Whoever is in the parental role is the best person to decide about such things. It is a matter of parental rights to not have the government intrude in what is an intimate matter between them and their children/charges. It is also a matter of the child learning such things in the context of the closest adult in their life in whom they already have a relationship of trust.
  • melissa 2010/06/18 03:38:21
    melissa
    I think parents should tell there kids about the birds and the bees before puberty like the age of 14 and up because if you don't sit down, and have that conservation with your child believe me they will get that information from there friends, and you don't want that for your CHILD.

Tell them when you think the time is right,but don't wait too long because kids experiment. You want what best for your child,you want to educate them,but you don't want to mislead them. Ask them what there no about the birds and the bees, and from what you hear you can take it from there.
  • Royal Warrior 2010/06/18 03:32:50
    Royal Warrior
    Pretty young. But we lived out in the boonies, and had dogs, cats, etc. We watched the kittens and puppies being born. That somehow makes children ask questions, and my parents answered the questions we asked, in terms and levels we could understand.
    I did the same with my girls. Knowing the actions that mommy and daddy do, to make babies, doesn't take away your innocence, THAT is taken by hatred, pornography, objectiveizing, etc.
    For pete's sake, answer the question the child asks, WHEN he/she asks it.Answering honestly and clearly enough for them to have a basic understanding helps them respect Mom and Dad's honesty, intelligence and have the understanding to say "That is for grown-ups, not ME! I'm still little, (or not married, or not ready, or whatever answer s/he feels in his spirit)
  • Whyputa... Royal W... 2010/06/18 05:17:05
    Whyputaname
    Well said, it also makes them trust and feel comfortable going to you for the answers especially in their teenage years. Instead of looking some where else that could get them in trouble.
  • Kalayaan 001 2010/06/18 03:25:13
    Kalayaan 001
    +1
    My gosh... With the age of puberty dropping (especially for girls) like a rock, can't kids be kids anymore?
  • mollyyyyy 2010/06/18 03:24:19
    mollyyyyy
    +1
    They should keep the thoughts of innocence and purity as long as they can. Sex Ed is only going to warp their minds.
  • GoddessMother 2010/06/18 03:21:54
    GoddessMother
    +2
    It is the parents job to teach a child about the birds and the bees as the show interest and to the level of their maturity. This is why sex ed in the schools is a disaster, and the first time the school should even be remotely involved in teaching kids should be in high school biology, and only in those terms.
  • Royal W... Goddess... 2010/06/18 03:35:33
    Royal Warrior
    +1
    I agree, but I also know that some stupid parents would NEVER talk to their children honestly, from embarassment or from thinking that if their child doesn't know, they won't be tempted. Some other parents would feel empowered to tell a child WAY more than the child wants or needs to know, and give him/her a warped outlook on sex, either to experiment early on, or to feel shame when married, and cause other problems.
  • Goddess... Royal W... 2010/06/21 02:55:24
    GoddessMother
    As true as that may be, it is not the states job to parent the children.
  • Royal W... Goddess... 2010/06/21 03:32:07
    Royal Warrior
    That I agree with.
  • Mystical♥Gleek 2010/06/18 03:14:08
    Mystical♥Gleek
    +1
    Kids should be taught about the birds and the bees when they first ask about it. Just make sure to put in a language they can understand. I don't see anything wrong about knowing about sex at an early age as long as they don't act on it.
  • chrystal97 2010/06/18 02:41:01
    chrystal97
    I think this is a good idea. Kids are having sex younger and younger, so it makes sense to teach 5 year olds about sex. Way back when i was in elementary school, there was a girl that got pregnant at 9. This was 10 years ago. You also hear about all these 10 and 11 year olds getting pregnant. Guess what, kids have sex, so this is a good idea.
  • Deathstar 2010/06/18 02:25:05
    Deathstar
    +1
    no becuase there to young to know about sex

2014/08/31 06:37:03