When I think of my childhood, I can't believe my parent(s) did this...

Tits ISHBAHFF McGee 2011/03/12 03:46:46
The SodaHead Reminiscence G...
have something from childhood you want to share?

• MsStretch 2011/06/30 01:06:34
    MsStretch
    They lied, constantly. All the truths revealed after my mom's death were devastating. For that reason alone, my kids know they can ask me anything and I'll tell them the entire, blunt truth so they can make their own decisions.
  • JeffDeWitt 2011/03/19 23:12:39
    JeffDeWitt
    +1
    Many years ago we would go on these long road trips from western Michigan to northeastern New Jersey. In the winter it got COLD, and we'd be riding along, the back seat would finally start getting warm, and Mom would decide it was time for a cigarette and open her window a bit to let the smoke out... along with all the heat.

I still love a good road trip, but never took up the tobacco habit, thankfully Mom is still around but she no longer smokes.
  • Tits IS... JeffDeWitt 2011/03/20 00:10:05
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    +1
    that was the worst as a kid, being stuck in a car with adults who smoked. I hated it.
  • bamalady35077 2011/03/15 02:38:07 (edited)
    bamalady35077
    +1
    My mom canned and froze EVERYTHING!!!! she would make us wait for the lids to "pop".When she would can the beets I had to go stay with friends the smell was horrendous and since there was no air conditioning at the time it lingered for days

beets stay friends smell horrendous air conditioning lingered days canned beets
  • Tits IS... bamalad... 2011/03/15 02:43:38
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    As an adult, do you can things?
  • bamalad... Tits IS... 2011/03/15 02:46:01
    bamalady35077
    +1
    I would but I don't have the green thumb my mother had whenever I try gardening I fail miserably I even "kill" tomatoes.
  • Tits IS... bamalad... 2011/03/15 02:47:51
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    she grew all her own stuff and canned it? wow. I've never seen canning down, I haven't grown up with this.
  • bamalad... Tits IS... 2011/03/15 02:55:49
    bamalady35077
    +1
    Yeah we had a garden every year til I was in my late teens I remember zucchini at least 4ft long. we would sit around the living room snapping beans and watching tv or around the kitchen table peeling the skins off the tomatoes (after they were boiled for a bit) so we could put them in freezer bags. When the zucchini was ready she would shred it in a 1950's magic chef mixer/food processor and we would put that in freezer bags, save a little back for a loaf or two of fresh zucchini bread, our treat for all the hard work.
  • Tits IS... bamalad... 2011/03/15 03:01:08
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    that sounds idyllic!
  • Tits ISHBAHFF McGee 2011/03/13 03:05:40
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    +2
    1970 tv box

I don't know if anyone remembers the tv channel changer that was a box, and had a cord? you used to have to push down on the buttons to change the channel??

The box would be on the coffee table in front of the couch, where my dad would be laying watching tv. He would yell at the top of his lungs for one of us kids, and we would go running into the basement only to have him tell us to change the channel or pass him the box... my sibling and I still complain about this!
  • JeffDeWitt Tits IS... 2011/03/19 23:07:55
    JeffDeWitt
    +2
    Yes, my parents used to have one of those, it was the cable box.
  • Frank 2011/03/12 13:24:18
    Frank
    +1
    Every year we would go on vacation- either to the Jersey Shore or up to the Mountains. Either one was less than 2 hours away. It always took about 5 hours either way. We would always run out of gas. My Mom kept saying that we needed to stop for gas- and Dad's famous response was always "You could go from here to Atlantic city on a 1/4 tank of gas." Then we would run out of gas and someone would have to hitchhike or walk to the nearest gas station to buy a can of gas!

When we didn't run out of gas, Mom would want to stop at every yard or garage sale (we always took back roads to avoid the traffic). The most memorable thing that Mom brought was an old electric hot dog cooker. There were metal spikes that you stuck either end of the hot dog on - and an electric current was shot through the hot dog. I plugged it in and electric current shot from one spike to the other- like in an old science fiction movie. I tried to cook hot dogs on it and they were the worst hot dogs I ever had. I can't begin to describe the taste of electrocuted hot dogs!

But all of this happened on the way or on the way home from every vacation. 6 Kids were piled in the station wagon in 95 degree August (with no air conditioning) and just dying to get to the beach or pool- and never getting there until aft...

But all of this happened on the way or on the way home from every vacation. 6 Kids were piled in the station wagon in 95 degree August (with no air conditioning) and just dying to get to the beach or pool- and never getting there until after dark. -To make things worse I always had to pee every hour (we would carry a bucket for me in the car) and my younger sister always got car sick!

Another classic- actually our favorite family photo. We were in the mountains for vacation. It was Sunday- our first real day of vacation, after another ordeal to get there the day before. We just returned from Sunday Mass. Missing Mass was unheard of. We were all dressed in our Sunday clothes - dresses, coat and ties etc. The station wagon pulled up to the cabin- we all made a mad dash into the cabin to throw off our clothes and put on our swimsuits and hit the pool- the temperature was in the 90's. Mom walked in and said that she wanted a picture of all of us in our Sunday clothes. She insisted. We all got dressed back in our clothes- after much trepidation- and posed for a picture with Mom in front of the cabin. My mom had a bright, proud smile. The rest of us kids had looks that could kill on our faces. That picture has been used as "The" family picture on posters and collages- and we all get a great laugh every time we see it!
  • Tits IS... Frank 2011/03/12 15:54:20
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    +2
    Thank you Frank, these stories made my day!

awesome!
  • The Terrific Whatzit BN-0 2011/03/12 11:59:02 (edited)
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    +2
    My dad used to eat Chitlins. You haven't smelled stink, until you've come home to your mom cooking a huge pot of Chitlins.

chitlins smelled stink home mom cooking huge pot chitlins chitlins

Besides the gross food (including head cheese sandwiches, pickled pig's feet, and etc) my dad would walk around in his underwear at home. Even if we had friends over. Which is why, I and my sibs rarely invited friends over. He'd even answer the door in his tidy whities. Lastly, he never shut the bathroom door when he'd poop.
  • Tits IS... The Ter... 2011/03/12 15:55:33
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    +2
    never heard of chitlins!

ok seriously, the description of your dad sounds like mine. Somehow i find your dad funny and mine not so much!
  • The Ter... Tits IS... 2011/03/12 21:49:34
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    +1
    Chitlins are pigs intestines. Cleaned and then boiled or deep fried. A southern delicacy, for some.
  • Tits IS... The Ter... 2011/03/13 02:07:27
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    +2
    oh..

Tripe is cow intestine? I don't know if canadians eat this stuff.
  • The Ter... Tits IS... 2011/03/13 02:37:12
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    +1
    Tripe is cow stomach. Chitlins are intestines. I avoid it all.
  • Tits IS... The Ter... 2011/03/13 02:39:40
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    +1
    I can't knock something I haven't tasted or smelled.

Funny how smells from our childhoods impact us as adults.
  • The Ter... Tits IS... 2011/03/13 02:47:52
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    +2
    Chitlins cooking.... imagine a port-a-potty sitting out in a parking lot on a warm summer day. You'd almost have the essence.

chitlins cooking imagine port-a-potty parking warm summer essence port a potty
  • Tits IS... The Ter... 2011/03/13 02:55:53
    Tits ISHBAHFF McGee
    +1
    hahaha! And I used to gag when my mother made Sheppard's Pie!
  • JeffDeWitt Tits IS... 2011/03/19 23:09:36
    JeffDeWitt
    You probably have had it in a different form. Pig intestines are also used as sausage casings.
  • Incognito4Now 2011/03/12 11:43:35
    Incognito4Now
    +1
    mother forced me to eat liver, beef stew, goulosh, and oatmeal! to this day i still detest all of these! yuck!!! forced eat liver beef stew goulosh oatmeal detest yuck goulosh
  • Foxhound BN0 2011/03/12 05:51:54
    Foxhound BN0
    +1
    nope! LOL
  • ~Goddess of Passion*Pain*Pl... 2011/03/12 05:30:58
    ~Goddess of Passion*Pain*Pleasure~
    +3
    I can't believe they put us through so much hell.

2014/08/20 10:50:12