When driving what does a single yellow line and a double yellow line mean?

MaryBoBerry 2012/03/29 04:59:30
Okay, so I'm supposed to be taking my permit test tomorrow, andI'm doing the review questions with my driving program and this is confusing me so much because the questions for these are contradicting themselves!
So can someone flat out tell me
1) what does a single yellow line on a road when driving mean?
2) what does a double yellow line on the road when driving mean?

Help is greatly appreciated because as of right now, my driving program has me completely confused!

• Breezy(: 2012/04/01 22:15:41
    Breezy(:
    +1
    If there's a solid line on your side of the road, you can't pass. If it's dotted, you're good to go.
  • thecutesttentacle 2012/03/31 08:53:21
    thecutesttentacle
    +1
    i think that double yellow means you can't cross over..
  • Old Nellie Bones 2012/03/29 17:28:47
    Old Nellie Bones
    +1
    Double Yellow means no passing.Single yellow means passing o.k. when safe.
  • MitsukyWkfChang 2012/03/29 15:56:25
    MitsukyWkfChang
    +4
    google is your best friend
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/03/29 15:54:07
  • Andy Fletcher 2012/03/29 14:27:11
    Andy Fletcher
    +2
    It actually depends on where you are. In Cali, any solid double line represents a raised median or barrier and you are not allowed to cross it for any reason. Color is irrelevant. A single solid white line you can either pass across or make a left turn across it. A single solid yellow line you can make a left turn across but you can not pass across it.

Starting in the late eighties many California municipalities began to place double yellow line barriers at intersections to prevent you from turning into businesses located on corners. Presumably this started as a safety issue, but evolved into a revenue generating scheme. They quickly learned that people were reluctant to make left turns at the intersection only to go to another intersection for another left turn to get to a place where they could make a u-turn, then backtrack to get to these businesses. Coinciding with these new double yellow lines they also prohibited u-turns at these same intersections. This meant you have to either go through the intersection to a point where you could make a u-turn and back track or go through the multiple left turns and back track. At this point, they started stationing law enforcement at many of these intersections because they knew folks would ignore the barriers. Keep in mind that in...

Starting in the late eighties many California municipalities began to place double yellow line barriers at intersections to prevent you from turning into businesses located on corners. Presumably this started as a safety issue, but evolved into a revenue generating scheme. They quickly learned that people were reluctant to make left turns at the intersection only to go to another intersection for another left turn to get to a place where they could make a u-turn, then backtrack to get to these businesses. Coinciding with these new double yellow lines they also prohibited u-turns at these same intersections. This meant you have to either go through the intersection to a point where you could make a u-turn and back track or go through the multiple left turns and back track. At this point, they started stationing law enforcement at many of these intersections because they knew folks would ignore the barriers. Keep in mind that in Cali, you don't just pay the straight fine for the resulting ticket. You are also required to pay court fees and what they call assessments, which can add up to 3-4 times the amount of the fine. Pure revenue generation. In the meantime they have women kidnapped and raped two blocks from the sheriffs station at 3pm.
  • Junichi 2012/03/29 14:16:28 (edited)
    Junichi
    +1
    1, single line: when the line is separated, that lane is allowed to pass the car in front of them legally while the other side is not allowed so it can prevent crazy car crash collisions in the road.

2. double line: neither side is allowed to pass, thus making it an illegal passing zone for both sides.
  • lm1b2 2012/03/29 13:39:39
    lm1b2
    +2
    In Ohio it means the same thing,do not cross or pass.
  • Lucy Sparkles :3 2012/03/29 12:57:05
    Lucy Sparkles :3
    +1
    single yellow line= only one lane is allowed to pass.
    double yellow line= neither lane is allowed to pass.
  • BHGOzzy 2012/03/29 08:25:10
    BHGOzzy
    +2
    Passing is permitted for one lane only, and only for the duration of the broken line. If the broken line is on your side, you can pass if the opposing traffic lane is clear. If it is not on your side, you may not pass vehicles in front of you. This is due to limited line of sight.

Double yellow line on a road means no passing is allowed for the duration of the double yellow line as there is not enough visual distance to properly see oncoming traffic. Passing vehicles on these sections can be hazardous.
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/03/29 08:17:35
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +2
    Double yellow mean no passing allowed. Single yellow line with a broken yellow line means passing is allowed if the coast is clear.
  • VERYwiseguy 2012/03/29 07:53:50
    VERYwiseguy
    +2
    No solid line is crossed.They use single for smaller width roads but both mean the same do not cross.
  • MissingTheO.C. 2012/03/29 06:49:59
    MissingTheO.C.
    +1
    Only turn. Don't cross.
  • Captain Hindsight 2012/03/29 06:35:50 (edited)
    Captain Hindsight
    +2
    You can only cross lines that are broken
    Double yellow means traffic is flowing in two directions
    Single yellow indicates the end of the leftmost lane.

Face?? ^_^
    lines broken double yellow traffic flowing directions yellow leftmost lane
  • MaryBoB... Captain... 2012/03/30 04:08:23
    MaryBoBerry
    +1
    Haha, thanks for your explanation, and yes, that is my face, I have fun with fake blood. xD It seems my mom has gotten use to coming home and seeing my face covered in Special FX makeup and it doesn't even bug her anymore...the first night she came home and when she saw me she started crying because Ihad given myself a black eye xD
  • Captain... MaryBoB... 2012/03/30 05:01:12
    Captain Hindsight
    +1
    Interesting hobby ;- )
  • wolfshadow 2012/03/29 06:21:58 (edited)
    wolfshadow
    +2
    The YELLOW line is the dividing line. If your on a highway, you will notice that the lines in your lanes are white and the far left line is yellow. If the yellow stripes or lines are in the middle of the road, you are on a two lane road with oncoming traffic. The solid white line will be on your left.

If you have a solid yellow and a striped line together that are yellow in the middle of the road... the side of the road that has the solid yellow stripe is NO PASSING for your side. If your side has the stripes, it is okay to pass if SAFE to do so. If there are two solid lines, NO PASSING for either side. IF there is only yellow stripes, then either direction may pass if safe to do so.

Good Luck!
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/03/29 06:15:12
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +2
    Double yellow line: Do not cross, except to turn. Most common thing is don't pass if you have to cross a double yellow to do so.

Single yellow: Ok to cross if the way is clear. Same with a single white line. You'll find them on curves, in work zones, on city streets. Most common single is with a dotted line on one side or the other -- the dotted line means it's ok to cross on your side.

But the bottom line is it's never safe to cross any line if you can't see far enough ahead to know what's up there. Hmmm, I just read that over -- no pun intended.

I don't know where you are, but you should have a rules of the road book. If you don't, look at one at the licensing station before you take the test.

Good luck -- and be careful out there. :)
  • MaryBoB... jubil8 ... 2012/03/30 04:09:38
    MaryBoBerry
    +1
    Ah, I thought I wrote that I was in Texas! Guess not, ahha, and thankyou!
  • jubil8 ... MaryBoB... 2012/03/30 04:22:14
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    Haha, no, but the lines are nationwide as far as I know. I just figured the way your state describes them might be different, and that's what you'd need to know for the written test.

So how did it go? :)
  • MaryBoB... jubil8 ... 2012/03/30 11:56:00
    MaryBoBerry
    I actually didn't get to go take it because my Mom lost my papers and I also got blood drawn, so I was really out of it. xP
  • jubil8 ... MaryBoB... 2012/03/30 22:55:55
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Well, good luck when you do go then. :)
  • Nimara 2012/03/29 06:00:44
    Nimara
    +2
    Double and single yellow lines aren't supposed to be crossed.
    However...if you see something like this: yellow dotted line and a yellow solid line
    A dotted and solid line together...

If that is on your side, then I believe you are allowed to cross it that solid line...that's if you see the dotted and solid line together.

I hope I'm correct. Damn me if it's wrong.
  • goatman112003 2012/03/29 05:37:18
    goatman112003
    +1
    It depends where the single yellow is. When its on the right it means the edge of the road, on the left the end of your lane. Double yellow means no passing.
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/03/29 05:36:21
    nothingbutthetruth
    +2
    A single yellow line mean you can cross lane using precaution, and I double yellow line mean you cannot and must not cross or (change) lane..Am I right? If not, I'll have to take the test again. Lol.
  • Momena 2012/03/29 05:35:35
    Momena
    +3
    I don't know i can't drive
  • nothing... Momena 2012/03/29 05:42:45
    nothingbutthetruth
    +1
    Hehehehe. You'll learn one day(:
  • Momena nothing... 2012/03/29 05:50:36
    Momena
    +2
    I hop for that one day :)
  • nothing... Momena 2012/03/30 06:15:48
    nothingbutthetruth
    You will!(:
  • GoDucks5 2012/03/29 05:31:08 (edited)
    GoDucks5
    +2
    The double line means no passing. A single yellow line means no passing on that side, if the line is dashed on your side then passing is permitted on your side. If the line is dashed on both sides then passing is permitted on both sides. Good luck on your test though, I'm taking my drive test for my license on April 10th.
  • nothing... GoDucks5 2012/03/29 05:40:28 (edited)
    nothingbutthetruth
    +1
    I don't think that's how it goes. heheehehe. Part of it is right, the other part wrong.
  • GoDucks5 nothing... 2012/03/29 05:43:43
    GoDucks5
    +3
    If the line isn't dashed on your side then you can't pass unless there's more then 1 lane. A solid yellow line on your side means no passing on your side. A double yellow line manes no passing on either side.
  • wolfshadow GoDucks5 2012/03/29 06:26:28
    wolfshadow
    +3
    You are correct.
  • wolfshadow GoDucks5 2012/03/29 06:26:05
    wolfshadow
    +2
    Usually, if passing is allowed on either side there will only be one dashed yellow line in the road. Only if one or both sides can't pass will there be two lines. And your right. Solid...no passing. Dashed, passing allowed when safe to do so. Good luck on your test.
  • GoDucks5 wolfshadow 2012/03/29 06:27:51
    GoDucks5
    +2
    Thank you.
  • wolfshadow GoDucks5 2012/03/30 19:56:56
    wolfshadow
    +1
    Heres one to blow your mind.... (Check your state law to see if you can do this)

In Texas.... When driving on a ONE WAY road... you can make a LEFT on RED if your also turning onto another ONE WAY road.
  • GoDucks5 wolfshadow 2012/03/30 21:36:59 (edited)
    GoDucks5
    +1
    You can do that in Oregon too, if you stop first and the traffic is clear. You always can make a right turn on red unless a sign tells you you can't.
  • wolfshadow GoDucks5 2012/03/30 22:53:48
    wolfshadow
    +1
    everyone knows about the right turn... the left on red blows some minds... I got into an arguement with a San Antonio Cop on that one once... Judge cleared it up for him...
  • MaryBoB... GoDucks5 2012/03/30 04:11:05
    MaryBoBerry
    +1
    Thanks, I actually didn't get to test today because my mom lost my papers, and I had to have blood drawn so I was a hot mess! Haha
  • GoDucks5 MaryBoB... 2012/03/30 07:41:49
    GoDucks5
    You're welcome and I didn't get to test the first time time because you can't take it after 4 and my number got called at 4:02. I got 88% on the test though. I took it back in May.

2014/07/25 20:44:39