When do you take down your Christmas decorations?

Osk 2013/12/26 13:56:49
Being that I am Catholic and go to the holiday masses, I respectfully
take the decorations down until after January 6th (Epiphany), since
there is also an "extra" day of gifts...

• MagicGirl 2013/12/27 20:42:40
    Other
    MagicGirl
    December 25 after all the presents are opened
  • SlaveWaterNymph 2013/12/27 19:45:45
    Other
    SlaveWaterNymph
    uh mine doesnt come down, because the only decorations i have are on my christmas tree, and that stays up all year long.. as to its small and no where to put it lol
  • ruru 2013/12/27 04:29:17
    Other
    ruru
    About the third week in January.
  • Nellie-TheQueenOfCraziness 2013/12/27 04:21:59
    A couple of days after New Year's Day (January 2nd to January 5th)
    Nellie-TheQueenOfCraziness
    They are usually down a few days after New Years Day.
  • skyster 2013/12/27 03:22:26 (edited)
    After January 6th (Epiphany)
    skyster
    +1
    Outdoor decorations like my herd of reindeer and the tree sometimes come down around january 1 but the creche and my angel ALWAYS stay through epiphany.

When I was a kid we had to take the tree down before January 1 because our mother felt it was bad luck to leave the tree up into the new year. I thought she was just superstitious about leaving up "last years tree". I finally asked where this superstition came from. She was born in 1902. When she was little the tree was decorated with CANDLES. Fire was the issue of course. A bucket of water or sand was always kept behind the tree and their tree went up about a week before Christmas - by new years it was dry enough to be a hazard. But,I couldnʻt get her to leave it up the belief sheʻd have a bad year was so ingrained. I had to wait until I had my own tree.

(Back then they also found presents from Santa ON the tree Christmas morning. I still have the Teddy bear Santa brought her one year.)
  • ✞SummerFox✞ 2013/12/27 01:43:40
    Other
    ✞SummerFox✞
    +1
    im catholic also, but we never really put anything up outside, we do the inside, and we take it down around new years or when ever my lazy butt wants to get up an take them down lol
  • fallnhope 2013/12/27 00:47:37
    fallnhope
    +1
    A couple days into the new year and it's time to de-clutter the house.
  • Biki~pwcm/potl~ 2013/12/26 20:37:18
    Between December 26th and December 31st
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    I will probably work on getting everything down this weekend. I've been known to take decorations down on Christmas day....but.... it was a dead tree with the needles falling off, and my husband bought a can of "flocking" and sprayed it all over this tree and all it did was turn it gray, then we'd decided to string popcorn and cranberries that year (BIG MISTAKE!!) we only got the top third of the tree "done" before we got bored trying to string popcorn without it breaking and the cranberries were rotting off the string....ugh, I couldn't get that tree out of my house fast enough!! LOL! I've never had a live tree in my house since.
  • CiaoTopaz 2013/12/26 19:35:23
    After January 6th (Epiphany)
    CiaoTopaz
    Epiphany same here...
  • rand 2013/12/26 17:57:06
    December 26th
    rand
    Just finished. i eschew procrastination.
  • questionsparks 2013/12/26 17:04:54
    Other
    questionsparks
    My girlfriend says, "never." So I'm keeping them up, because that's what she likes.
  • Marie 2013/12/26 17:01:07 (edited)
    After January 6th (Epiphany)
    Marie
    +1
    I love the continuation of this Christmas celebration. People are always surprised to learn that the number of Magi was never mentioned in the Scriptures . It was just assume there were 3 Magi because 3 gifts were given. Also, these magi went to Yeshua's house. By then Marys purification was over. Yeshua had been circumsized in,the temple and He is called a child not a baby . Though no age is given, it is certain that he was older than a new,born and less than 2 years old. Only the shepards in the field went to the manger.
  • www.sodahead.com/smithy 2013/12/26 16:25:50
    Between December 26th and December 31st
    www.sodahead.com/smithy
    +1
    as soon as its over
  • Andy 2013/12/26 15:27:57
    New Year's Day (January 1st)
    Andy
    Sometimes New Years Day sometimes the day after
  • Richard 2013/12/26 14:42:00
    Between December 26th and December 31st
    Richard
    +1
    I am an Anglican (Episcopalian) and the Church of England has retained, intact, the Octave of Christmas (abolished in the RC Church in 1955 I believe) and also holds to the Twelve Days of Christmas. Epiphany is a feast on the last day of the Twelve, and is ranked equal to that of Christmas. So the decorations stay up until after Twelfth Night and the Epiphany dinner - which is a full a table as at Christmas. It is only then the decorations come down and the crib put away.
  • NYCbrit 2013/12/26 14:37:26
    After January 6th (Epiphany)
    NYCbrit
    +2
    I was raised in a Catholic household, so they're up til Epiphany.
  • Kat 2013/12/26 14:36:37
    After January 6th (Epiphany)
    Kat
    I like to enjoy them
  • Kezzi Morris 2013/12/26 14:24:35
    New Year's Day (January 1st)
    Kezzi Morris
    Round about New Year.

2014/09/30 17:34:25