Whats the most uncommon veggie or fruit you've ever eaten

monte 2012/11/01 10:17:52
Related Topics: Fruit, Veggie
star fruit , sunchoke

• Sean 2012/11/01 16:27:05
    Sean
    I've eaten durian. I used to like it, but not any more.
  • LMA 2012/11/01 14:32:18
    LMA
    +1
    bitter melon bitter melon
  • monte LMA 2012/11/01 14:37:38
    monte
    how was it fixed ? i know the name is accurate !BITTERmelon
  • Sonny LMA 2012/11/01 15:25:44
    Sonny
    We call it Cercy. we use the bitter bush vines the fruit grows from to boil teas that stops tummy aches and detoxifies you inside out. It is very bitter in taste. you must be a fearless drinker to have it..LOL!
  • LMA Sonny 2012/11/01 17:27:56
    LMA
    +1
    oh it is wonderful medically, I learned of from a pharmacologist from new deli India who told me he had only heard of diabetes before moving to America, did some research and found this vegetable protects against the disease and others that don't seem to effect the people of India.
  • Sonny LMA 2012/11/01 17:33:44
    Sonny
    Knowing about the diabetes help of it is a first for me, I'm sure some people that are at risk of having their feet amputated in the future would love to hear this, thank you for giving that information
    Thank you
  • LMA Sonny 2012/11/01 19:33:16
    LMA
    +1
    Well it is important to note that while bitter melon has some excellent detox properties that can protect against several ailments, a root cause of organ failure type disabilities is nutritional. Now organic compounds like protein, vitamins, and carbs are not the issue, It's the inorganic minerals which over time have been striped from the soil on most major farms.
  • LMA LMA 2012/11/01 17:34:24
    LMA
    jilo
    This one is Jilo from Brazil it is similar to bitter melon but not as medically beneficial and closely related to an eggplant.
  • Sonny LMA 2012/11/02 16:25:52 (edited)
    Sonny
    This plant does resemble the eggplant, also looks like sweet or bell peppers and squash, Interesting
  • Sonny LMA 2012/11/01 17:37:56
    Sonny
    do you know of another medicinal plant that does many things?... Try looking up MORINGA... you'll be impressed, there is so much information about this amazing plant I can't type that long to explain it to you cause it's a lot to take in.
    Moringa
  • LMA Sonny 2012/11/01 19:37:14
    LMA
    +1
    Another great plant from India, it says the name derives from Malayalam , I was due to travel to Kerala years ago and never got to go unfortunately
  • Sonny LMA 2012/11/02 02:47:36 (edited)
    Sonny
    hopefully you will soon, you sound like you studied Botany or some kind of Biology that has to do with plants and herbs by the sound of your superior knowledge. I bet it's something you love. The said plant above Malayalam also grows wild in Jamaica, everything from it's bark, leaves, seeds and flowers are valued a lot, and also sold to pharmaceutical companies
  • LMA Sonny 2012/11/02 04:07:09
    LMA
    +1
    we know the British brought the coolies in, no wonder to me that Indian plants grow in Jamaica
  • Sonny LMA 2012/11/02 04:09:50 (edited)
    Sonny
    It's probably grown in other Caribbean countries as well, the same fruits I posted are also found in Trinidad,Guyana and grenada
  • LMA Sonny 2012/11/02 15:39:32
    LMA
    +1
    oh ya they grow all over down there, Maybe not ackee but the rest of them.
  • Sonny LMA 2012/11/02 15:44:26 (edited)
    Sonny
    Have you ever eaten Ackee?.. just curious LOL! it's the national dish of Jamaica, prepared with saltfish
  • LMA Sonny 2012/11/02 15:49:36
    LMA
    +1
    oh ya, Lots of Jamaican friends grew up with them, Have friends here in the US as well as portmore and montego bay
  • Sonny LMA 2012/11/02 16:05:59
    Sonny
    Cool, I wish I was regular traveler like you, such a big world, so many places to see and I've only ever been to the states
  • LMA Sonny 2012/11/02 16:11:38
    LMA
    +1
    I wish i had been to Jamaica, but i have not, Just got friends who live their, Have been to Canada, Brazil and Ireland, was suppose to go to India after high school that didn't work out, But i have an open invite to Jamaica, I'll get there some day.
  • Sonny LMA 2012/11/02 16:12:47 (edited)
    Sonny
    In case you didn't know, Ackee was not indigenous to Jamaica or anywhere in the Caribbean, the seed made it's way on a slave ship from Ghana, I've met a missionary from Ghana whom came to Jamaica, He tried all the Ackee dishes, loved them. and I was surprised by him telling me this fruit is not recognized as a regular edible crop in his country. the true place of origin of this edible fruit eaten as a vegetable
  • LMA Sonny 2012/11/02 17:28:23
    LMA
    that's understandable with the seeds being poisonous. If some one did not know how to properly prepare it they could die
  • Sonny LMA 2012/11/02 18:39:02
    Sonny
    I am a pro at preparing it for anyone, I have the tree in my backyard, Instructions on preparing:
    1) remove the pegs from the pods,
    2) cut or break off the seeds from the pegs,
    3)cut the lining remainder of the seed from the peg's edges, 4)clean out the pink feathery silt from the pegs, they can be poisonous if they are not cleaned out properly with the knives,
    5) put in boiling water with 1/4 lb salt-fish boiling at the bottom, ackees on top
    The salt-fish with it's salt neutralizes and eliminates the licopene poison found in some ackees that weren't 100% mature when cooked. and also balances the salt level which gives it a better taste at the end of sauteing without pinching and adding salt to it.
    Ackees must be boilt soft till they mash easily like hard butter but monitored to prevent over-boiling
    6) put said boilt salt-fish to cool in cool or cold water,
    7) when cooled, pinch the saltfish into flakes and strips while removing fish bones
    8) set frying pot with little oil ( coconut oil enhances the taste) but any oil is fine for use,
    saute seasonings of chopped pepper, onions, scallion, tomatoes etc. while gradually adding stripped salt-fish flakes in it
    9) then finally adding the soft boiled ackees on top
    10) repeat sauteing again and Viola, there you have it

Served with options of...

1) remove the pegs from the pods,

Served with options of cooked rice or boiled ground foods with flour dumplings

ackee and saltfish
  • Sonny 2012/11/01 14:13:55 (edited)
    Sonny
    +1
    Ackees, Breadfruits, Jackfruits, star apples and Jimbeline

ackee

http://ntbg.org/breadfruit/us...

jackfruit

star apple

star fruit breadfruit
  • LMA Sonny 2012/11/01 14:31:39
    LMA
    +2
    some ones been to jamaca
  • Sonny LMA 2012/11/01 15:11:02
    Sonny
    They're all from Jamaica and that's where I'm from too
  • monte Sonny 2012/11/01 14:38:12
    monte
    +1
    love to try them all , are they all from Jamaica
  • Sonny monte 2012/11/01 15:20:11 (edited)
    Sonny
    Yes, they all are, The Ackees are considered both a fruit and a vegetable because it grows on a tree but you have to boil them and fry with seasoning to eat it as a vegetable, The breadfruit is often roasted on a fire, peeled and actually eaten like bread but hot, that's why they call it Breadfruit. The star apple fruit is the only tree that holds the fruit and never lets it go, even if it's ripest, it must be picked or the tree hold it till it rots, you can never wait for it to drop, the yellow Jimbelins are juicy and a good source a vitamin c and is used for fruit decorative purposes at hotel etc. because of it's star shape when sliced. Jackfruits have a very sugar sweet inside gut in which the clear pulp is eaten, filled with many white seeds that look like beach stones and pebbles, maturity of this fruit is sometimes unpredictable
  • Stacie 2012/11/01 10:38:05
    Stacie
    +1
    Ginnups

ginnups

Rose Apple

rose apple
  • monte Stacie 2012/11/01 10:59:39
    monte
    never seen either , did you like um ?
  • Stacie monte 2012/11/01 11:55:03
    Stacie
    They are absolutely delicious.

A Rose Apple tastes like the way a rose smells and Ginnups are sweet and tart.
  • Sonny Stacie 2012/11/01 14:02:54
    Sonny
    +1
    Those fruits are grown abundantly in my country and make great juices too. both carry vitamin C

2014/10/25 21:29:16