What's The Most Annoying Thing About Living In An Apartment?

Sammy 2010/04/13 22:08:21

• urwutuis 2010/04/17 22:09:01
    urwutuis
    +5
    That they call them apartments when they're so close together. They should be called compartments.

• mic.fidelity 2014/06/21 03:38:54 (edited)
    mic.fidelity
    +1
    Lack of sound insulation in (most?) apartments is criminal. The architects have no intention of living in the buildings they design, which is arrogant. Too costly to put air-gaps between walls? It's sardine can living and they don't care. Just build them anyhow and the saps will be stuck in a human zoo with a lease-break penalty.

Subwoofer bass that can be felt through walls should be a felony after 3 offenses. It's like having someone pound their fist on your wall over and over, which would be considered a hostile act, but the devious excuse is that nothing but air pressure actually touches the wall. Another insidious problem is that low volume music might seem reasonable but the bass still carries to your apt. When you explain the physics to the offender they claim ignorance and most of them are belligerent to begin with, else they'd be respectful. Apartments teach you human nature and the upsides are few.

Also, I am tired of hearing my neighbor's shallow-sounding doper laugh (a run-together "hehehehehe") at odd intervals. Laughs and coughing carry through the walls more than other vocalizations, except for yelling. The whole notion that you just have to put up with others' noise is evil, especially when you need critical sleep for work. Earplugs are a hassle and prevent you from hearing vital sounds like smoke detectors and alarm clocks.
  • Jessica 2012/07/10 18:29:08
    Jessica
    +2
    SMELLS. It seems that in any apartment I've lived in, there's always a puff-pants near me, and all their smoke sneaks into my place. Plus, we're currently in a garden level apt, and it smells horrible musty. Hate it. Miss my home.
  • Dawn Cox 2012/01/15 00:21:04
    Dawn Cox
    +2
    THE NEIGHBORS: BEING CLOSE IN WITH YOUR NEIGHBORS,HEARING THEIR NOISE AND THEM LISTENING TO YOU AS WELL,NOT HAVING NO PRIVACY AT ALL..EVERYTHING ABOUT APARTMENT LIVING SUCKS AND SO DOES THE NEIGHBORS THAT LIVES IN THE SAME BUILDING WITH U. I JUST HATE ANY KIND OF APARTMENTS PERIOD..THAT'S WHY I LIVE IN A HOUSE FOR A REASON. AND I LOVE MY OWN PRIVACY.
  • Dawn Cox Dawn Cox 2012/01/15 00:35:02 (edited)
    Dawn Cox
    +2
    THAT IS THE NUMBER ONE MAIN ISSUE IN APARTMENT LIVING.. NEIGHBORS AND NOISE.
  • Dawn Cox Dawn Cox 2012/01/18 21:55:53
    Dawn Cox
    IT SOME DIRTY MEAN ASS NEIGHBORS THAT LIVES IN APARTMENTS.
  • no Dawn Cox 2014/08/21 15:08:58
    no
    +1
    I can't stand apartments. Management and maintenance and exterminators allowed to walk in whenever they please and the office having a key to my place. No privacy. Neighbors. No insulation, I hear people THEY hear me. Smells coming through the vents from neighbors. ECT. ECT. Can't make my apt. Feel like home can't do projects here. I see people going through the garbage dumpsters. ABSOLUTELY NO PRIVACY IN MY LIFE.
  • Brosia 2010/05/17 14:43:38
    Brosia
    Upstairs neighbors. In general, I have not have a good experience with them. Loud parties at all hours of the night, screaming matches between parents and unruly kids, shake the house angry sex, vacuuming at midnight. I want my own place to have peace and quiet.
  • Some Guy ~ þhαετ~ 2010/04/20 17:14:16
    Some Guy ~ þhαετ~
    I've never lived in an apartment, but I'd guess it would be neighbors.
  • dreamwriter12 ✲the libraria... 2010/04/18 18:25:06
    dreamwriter12 ✲the librarian of ρнaεt✲ in grammar I trust
    There are three big things I dislike about them: the price (and ultimately throwing money down the drain, since paying rent isn't putting money towards something you'll eventually own), too little space, and no yard. The last thing probably isn't a big deal to many people, but I absolutely love big yards for some reason.
  • I'm History 2010/04/18 14:58:12 (edited)
    I'm History
    +1
    I never liked apartment living because i could never afford a really good place, well like in the price range of 2500 a month where people are civilized enough to not bother their neighbors, and are in a good neighborhood so you don't have to have a gun to walk your dog, or just take a walk.
    I have always hated those few that would get drunk, and fight with each other at 2am, and those who have parties every damn friday night, and their major investment was a pair of six feet tall, 200 lbs. each Colossi speekers, which sound like you are inside the speeker listning to some insane rap song by a heroin junkie!
    Yes, that's the life though, ain't it?
    So I got out of it. I rented a small studio apartment, a dive, for a year and saved up for an RV. Then my life started to be as the vikings call it " valhalla ", meaning peaceful, tranquil, quiet, and wonderfully fulfilling.

I can move whenever I want, and monthly rent is never over $300 with all utilities, and there are RV parks all over america. Life is great living in an RV. Once every other month I take a vacation (even while working) to a place in the woods for a week or so, someplace that I am all alone with nature, and the sounds of nature, ha, my cat loves it!

if you can suffer for a year in a real cheap dive and save t...

Yes, that's the life though, ain't it?

if you can suffer for a year in a real cheap dive and save the money for a down payment on an RV you'll be glad you did. And because of cell phones and wireless laptops you're still connected to the world no matter where you are, as I work from my website for employment, from sometimes deep in the woods, or high on a mountain top with a view of the world, or on a secluded beach.

There are RV parks in every city so you have no excuses, try out living your life and not just going with the flow, I did, and it's a wonderful way to live life.

world rv parks city excuses living life flow live life
    Hey, make sure you knock the sand off your shoes before coming in, lol!
  • crinklemynoseandsmile 2010/04/18 14:38:16
    crinklemynoseandsmile
    Well, my apartment echos. Even with all the furniture. You can hear people whispering from the other side of the apartment.

Soo....I guess the lack of sleep. :D apartment echos furniture hear people whispering apartment soo guess sleep
  • horse 2010/04/18 14:29:50
    horse
    little rooms , thin walls,
  • Abort A Liberal, Save A Life. 2010/04/18 06:16:07
    Abort A Liberal, Save A Life.
    The loser downstairs... the guy had alwyas given me a bad vibe since I had lived there. Then he proved me right, when he decided to steal one of my cats.

Needless to say, I had the STALKER arrested. I'm so glad that's over with.
  • ladypuppylove 2010/04/18 05:04:23
    ladypuppylove
    Living in an apartment where the person over your apartment have baba kids lol
  • freaky 2010/04/18 04:49:15
    freaky
    annoying neighbor, no privacy ---> going crazy
  • jenlduu 2010/04/18 04:40:42
    jenlduu
    Every thing. You are right on top of your neighbors and if they don't like you they can make your life miserable. My crazy sister who hates everyone didn't like her neighbours downstairs so she dropped an bowling ball all day long to make thier lives miserable and it didn't make any difference that they had a infant.
  • Fannie 2010/04/18 03:21:17
    Fannie
    Thin walls
  • jenlduu Fannie 2010/04/18 04:43:58
    jenlduu
    +1
    Oh yes I know about that one. I lived in a building with only one apartment over head but the building was made so cheap you could hear when everyone was walking, coughing and even the bed springs. I had a hell of a year getting any sleep. I could only sleep when they slept all five of them. Good thing my kids could sleep through anything.
  • bsrinc 2010/04/18 01:13:33
    bsrinc
    Hated living in an apartment! It sucked having to be nice to neighbors that I could havecared less about. They keep u up all night, their car alarms go off and they don''t hear them, fighting, cooking smells, trash all over, then they have people over... YUCK! I like my country house, in the woods, far, far away from neighbors!
  • Musicholic 2010/04/17 23:39:15 (edited)
    Musicholic
    +1
    the cost of living in a apartment, its getting expensive $1,500+ a month
  • America... Musicholic 2010/04/18 00:48:31
    AmericanVirus
    Well, it depends on where you live when it comes to cost.
  • Musicholic America... 2010/04/18 00:50:51
    Musicholic
    well, how much does it cost were you live, is it more than a thousand of dollars or less
  • America... Musicholic 2010/04/18 00:54:03
    AmericanVirus
    I don't live in an apartment myself, granted I know other who do and they don't all pay over $1000
  • Musicholic America... 2010/04/18 01:03:56
    Musicholic
    thats cool, i wish i could rent an apartment that is less than $1000, where i live every apartment is over a $1000+
  • jenlduu America... 2010/04/18 04:47:19
    jenlduu
    +1
    Darn my house payment is only $550 for three bedrooms and two baths.
  • jenlduu Musicholic 2010/04/18 04:45:57
    jenlduu
    Yes I know a nice apartment in California that we paid 500 a month for 15 years ago is now 1500. A $1000 increase in 15 years is inflation at it's most insane.
  • jumpboots 187th PIR 2010/04/17 23:15:37
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    +2
    Country living for me. Closest neighbors about eight miles............
  • spike 2010/04/17 22:29:30
    spike
    +3
    i hated living in an apartment-no REAL privacy, no real peace of mind

i live in the country now, and i can step outside on a Saturday morning with my coffee and sit at the picnic table with a fresh breeze blowing thru the trees, listening to the birds-the other day, i watched a bald eagle soaring above the treetops, and that night i was back out there with a cooler and my guitars, palying as long as i wanted, with no fear of disturbing anyone or being disturbed
  • jenlduu spike 2010/04/18 04:48:33
    jenlduu
    Sounds like heaven.
  • spike jenlduu 2010/04/18 13:12:27
    spike
    +1
    as close as i've found; my kids can head outside and play all day, at times out of sight and hearing of the house, and i need not worry-the dog (who doesn't have to be followed around with a scooper and bag, by the way) wanders around with them, providing comanionship, entertainment (he's a big lab-natural comedian) and protection
  • jenlduu spike 2010/04/19 04:18:18
    jenlduu
    So happy for your kids. Kids need lots of room to grow
  • *Ash*~In Conor&Murphy I Trust~ 2010/04/17 22:09:21
    *Ash*~In Conor&Murphy I Trust~
    +1
    I've just moved into my very first apartment and I hate just about everything about it! I loath having neighbors. I live in what was once a house but it was converted into an upstairs/downstairs apartment with a laundry area between us. My kitchen is so small that I can't open the Fridge all of the way because it hits the other counter. Whenever my neighbors cook I smell their food and my apartment reeks. We have to share a hot water heater and there never seems to be any hot water when I take a shower. They start their laundry in the morning then leave for work so its left in the machines all day (I HATE THAT!). And I'm expected to be curtious and understanding of them? Yeah, I stopped doing that about a month after I moved in. Oh, and the worst part of all is that I can't have ANY pets! I hate apartment life and I cannot wait to leave this place.

Sorry fot the rant.
  • urwutuis 2010/04/17 22:09:01
    urwutuis
    +5
  • Bobby 48 2010/04/17 21:54:29
  • Artemis ~PHAET 2010/04/17 21:34:43
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +2
    The neighbors. The apartments in my building are tiny, one bedrooms. The walls are paper thin. My newest neighbors have two kids. One a very loud teen girl, and the other a boy still in grade school. They don't seem to understand that when I say I work nights and would like some peace during the day to sleep, that doesn't mean the kids can tromp around like elephants, laughing and screaming the second they get home from school.
  • Nonicknameunlessyouknowme 2010/04/17 21:19:18
    Nonicknameunlessyouknowme
    +1
    Lots of things to worry about when living in an apartment. I like to play my music loud sometimes and I have been known to want to rearrange furniture or pictures on the wall in the middle of the night (it's one of the disadvantages of working night shift as you are on a different circadian rhythm from most people.) When I've lived in apartments, I can't do projects when I want to because I don't want to disturb the neighbors but I can't ask for the same consideration when I'm sleeping at one o'clock in the afternoon after working all night.
    There is also the added worry that someone in another apartment might fall asleep while smoking or while cooking a pot roast and the whole place will go up in flames. That has actually happened to an acquaintance of mine, as well as worrying about my grandmother one day when we could see smoke billowing from the apartment complex she was living in at the time and which was not too far away. Luckily, in my grandmother's case, the apartment building which burnt down was not the one she was living in.
    You also have to worry about whether your neighbors are doing or using drugs or even manufacturing them, today. There are certain chemicals they use which can cause brain damage as well as death and some of these people are buying, sellin...

You also have to worry about whether your neighbors are doing or using drugs or even manufacturing them, today. There are certain chemicals they use which can cause brain damage as well as death and some of these people are buying, selling, and/or making drugs in the most upscale apartment complexes. Not to mention the fact that these chemicals can cause explosions.
    There is an added worry about guns in a neighbors home. This could be a worry in any residence but it is more troublesome, I think, for apartment dwellers. I mean, if your neighbor has a gun in his/her bedroom and a child gets his hands on it and fires up at the ceiling, that child might just kill you as you are walking across your bedroom or even while you are in bed, since many apartments are laid out in the same way and bullets do travel through walls and floors, unless the floors are concrete.
    Another problem with apartments is that if the person upstairs springs a leak then their leak will also become yours because of the simple effect of gravity. I had that happen to me one time when I lived in a duplex. The neighbors upstairs allowed their tub to overflow and the whole ceiling in my bathroom collapsed because of it.
    Then there's the noise, the problem with people who have pets that do not take responsibility for that pet, and the problem with possible rodents or other pests brought in by unsanitary conditions of your neighbors.
    Wow, there really is a lot to think about with regards to apartment dwelling annoyances which might be why I'm in a house. LOL
    pests unsanitary conditions neighbors wow apartment dwelling annoyances house lol
  • jenlduu Nonickn... 2010/04/18 04:53:29
    jenlduu
    +1
    I don't believe you left anyting out when it comes to the dangers of living in a apartment. LOL
  • Nonickn... jenlduu 2010/04/18 15:46:58
    Nonicknameunlessyouknowme
    +1
    One thing led to another. LOL
  • jenlduu Nonickn... 2010/04/19 04:19:44
    jenlduu
    +1
    I told my husband about you warning about living in a apartment and he had a good laugh. Said that should scare the hell out of people. lol
  • Nonickn... jenlduu 2010/04/19 04:20:58
    Nonicknameunlessyouknowme
    +1
    Good, I love to hear that I made people laugh. Enjoy the endorphins.
    love hear people laugh enjoy endorphins

2014/10/31 07:48:23