What's the longest reply you've ever gotten from another SH?

NickName his Dudeness 2009/05/30 07:40:51
I don't know. I stop reading if I have to click the more button
Yeah, I've seen some pretty bad ones, what a waste of time.
I like it when people post tomes. Good ideas take time to explain.
I can get a little longwinded from time to time, but I try to keep things concise. I figure nobody wants to wade through a bunch of rambling if they're trying to have a conversation with me.

I've run into a few people on here who just don't seem to get that though. So I thought I'd post this question to see if long-winded posts get on anybody else's nerves as well.

Got any stories? Not too long please. jk ;-)

• SparkleyPie 2009/05/30 07:48:22
    SparkleyPie
    +8
    I've had some pretty long-winded replies. It's annoying. If I wanted to read a novel, I wouldn't be online. I'd be relaxing with a book.

It really, really annoys me when they don't bother to use line breaks. If there are no line breaks, I won't even bother to read it.

• BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRm... 2009/06/01 21:57:29
    BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRmissed
    +1
    Yeah...you kinda nailed it w/ this one.
    Although I can be guilty myself sometimes. :(

yeah ive pretty waste yeah kinda nailed guilty
  • NickNam... BoredCo... 2009/06/03 05:01:48
    NickName his Dudeness
    +1
    I think most of us do it once in a while, fine in moderation. Some people do it all the time though.
  • BoredCo... NickNam... 2009/06/03 05:36:44
    BoredCollieDogRIPmissDyouRmissed
    +1
    Absolutley! :)
  • Johnny "Nihasa" Robinson 2009/06/01 03:32:33
    Johnny "Nihasa" Robinson
    +1
    About 7 or 8 paragraphs.
  • NickNam... Johnny ... 2009/06/03 05:02:35
    NickName his Dudeness
    lol...that's pretty bad.

On the other hand, at least they separated into paragraphs.
  • Johnny ... NickNam... 2009/06/04 02:09:15
    Johnny "Nihasa" Robinson
    +1
    Well there was one time where it was about 6 paragraphs worth. lol (no spaces)
  • Its Ms.MiMi,b!tch 2009/05/31 01:17:30
    Its Ms.MiMi,b!tch
    +1
    ive gotten passages from the bible/prayers then get blocked right afterwards
  • NickNam... Its Ms.... 2009/05/31 16:00:59
    NickName his Dudeness
    +1
    Ahh...block and run...that always gives me a chuckle.
  • Ace~Mr.Giantess~ 2009/05/31 00:26:22 (edited)
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    +1
    On one of my blogs that I deleted, a conservative political nut wrote a one page long rant about how my views of cars were supposedly a threat to his way of life.
  • E.G. 2009/05/30 19:31:29
    E.G.
    +1
    Go for it. *grin*

No, seriously, I want to see what you've got. lol
  • NickNam... E.G. 2009/05/31 16:10:44
    NickName his Dudeness
    +2
    I can post very long ones, but I try not too. Now that you've got me on the spot what the heck, I guess I can just ramble for a while, stream of consciousness type stuff. It would help if I had a topic to focus on but I guess that's never really stopped me before so why let it stop me now. Hell I'm only at four lines. Alright did you read the post about the sugar free cookies given to a detainee to get him to talk. You should check that thread out. Man it's amazing to me how many people on their were outraged that we were actually treating detainees humanely, perish the thought. I guess to beat the terrorists, we have to become more like the terrorists or some crap like that. Then you've got all this craziness people are posting about Sotomayor. I went on one of those threads mostly for entertainment value because she's going to get confirmed, and conservatives are just making themselves look like extremists to most of the American public by trying to smear her. Anyway, I got some reply to my post that basically repeated all the echo chamber stuff that originated with with the Jeffrey Rosen article. So I posted the original article since of course this person didn't even know where the talking points had come from. Then he/she proceeded to post one long semi-coherent reply after anot...''''''

'
    I can post very long ones, but I try not too. Now that you've got me on the spot what the heck, I guess I can just ramble for a while, stream of consciousness type stuff. It would help if I had a topic to focus on but I guess that's never really stopped me before so why let it stop me now. Hell I'm only at four lines. Alright did you read the post about the sugar free cookies given to a detainee to get him to talk. You should check that thread out. Man it's amazing to me how many people on their were outraged that we were actually treating detainees humanely, perish the thought. I guess to beat the terrorists, we have to become more like the terrorists or some crap like that. Then you've got all this craziness people are posting about Sotomayor. I went on one of those threads mostly for entertainment value because she's going to get confirmed, and conservatives are just making themselves look like extremists to most of the American public by trying to smear her. Anyway, I got some reply to my post that basically repeated all the echo chamber stuff that originated with with the Jeffrey Rosen article. So I posted the original article since of course this person didn't even know where the talking points had come from. Then he/she proceeded to post one long semi-coherent reply after another. I eventually gave up trying to reason with him/her. Actually he/she was the inspiration for this question. I don't mind long responses when they are warranted, but if you're not getting to the point just because you don't know how to write, and you're clearly not paying attention to what I'm posting in response, then I really don't feel like wasting my time...lol.

ok, I guess I just don't have it in me to go any longer. I do feel like I vented though. ;-)
  • E.G. NickNam... 2009/05/31 20:38:56
    E.G.
    +2
    If you had a topic you might tend to focus on that topic and not really ramble which would have cut your response down considerably since it was more of a stream of consciousness than a prepared reply. Probably what annoys me is extremely long sentences especially the one I wrote above. I tend to annoy myself more than other people tend to annoy me but that's only because I know of more "hot buttons" that I have although there are a few that catch me unawares - that probably annoys me the most. As far as the cookies go I'm more flabbergasted that someone would be that inhumane and offer sugar free cookies. Sugar free? Why not just torture him or her with television without cable. Although that has gotten better since they started putting television in all digital format provided you went out and obtained the converter. I still haven't been able to locate one, and my free coupon ends today. I also can't believe all the hoopla about Sotomayer; as if she was the first hispanic or the first woman in office. What decade is this? I have to cut this short due to lack of time, some day I'll finish it... maybe lol. I prefer not to talk about politics anyway. *grin*
  • NickNam... E.G. 2009/06/03 05:04:42
  • E.G. NickNam... 2009/06/03 05:22:56
    E.G.
    +1
    *grin*
  • Robynita© 2009/05/30 17:14:44
    Robynita©
    +2
    The only time my replies are really long is when I'm arguing with a Christian/Conservative. They post a longass rant, I respond by breaking down each sentence in their comment that I have a problem with. They don't have to read it, but they nearly always do ~.^
  • NickNam... Robynita© 2009/05/31 16:12:19
    NickName his Dudeness
    +1
    Yeah, I'm kind of getting tired of breaking long posts down like that. I get the feeling I'm just wasting my time. But I know what you mean. Sometimes it's fun to deconstruct the house of cards.
  • Undecided
    мυzιк.jυηкιε™ [ιη мy вιтcнεs ι тяυsт!]
    +1
    usually it is quotes from the
    bible becuz people r "praying
    for me" but i never read it,
    ugh, so stupid
  • ~KЯaZChic~ 2009/05/30 16:46:18
    ~KЯaZChic~
    +3
    if they want to speak their mind, let them. People should do that more.
  • NickNam... ~KЯaZChic~ 2009/05/30 17:02:20
    NickName his Dudeness
    +4
    I'm all for speaking your mind, but thoughts come through more clearly with concision. Usually the more words you need, the less effectively you're communicating.
  • riverbe... NickNam... 2009/05/30 17:11:53
    riverbeauty™
    +3
    which is why even my longest posts aren't longer longest posts
  • Rusty Shackelford 2009/05/30 16:45:56
    Rusty Shackelford
    +6
    For me it is more an issue of formatting than length. I can handle reading long responses so long as there are paragraph breaks. Walls of text almost instantly dissuade me from reading the response.
  • NickNam... Rusty S... 2009/05/30 17:03:43
    NickName his Dudeness
    +2
    Very true...I seem to notice a correlation between very long posts and the kind of bad writing typified by an endless paragraph though.
  • Rusty S... NickNam... 2009/05/30 23:06:01
    Rusty Shackelford
    +1
    You have a point there. It could be that people who understand good writing also understand the merits of brevity. The walls of text do tend to ramble without any real direction.
  • Sparkle... Rusty S... 2009/05/30 19:17:20
    SparkleyPie
    +2
    For the record, my comment doesn't apply to you and your verboseness.
  • Rusty S... Sparkle... 2009/05/30 23:06:07
    Rusty Shackelford
    +2
    Yay, my blowhardery is appreciated!
  • Sparkle... Rusty S... 2009/05/30 23:07:05
    SparkleyPie
    +2
    And entertaining!
  • NickNam... Sparkle... 2009/05/31 16:15:25
    NickName his Dudeness
    +1
    I know you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but you can almost tell by the av whether someone's going to be worth reading.

Rusty's got an av that's hard to miss...lol.
  • Sparkle... NickNam... 2009/05/31 16:17:57
    SparkleyPie
    +1
    True that!
  • Tomus Megalomania 2009/05/30 15:26:10 (edited)
    Tomus Megalomania
    +3
    There are about three people on this site that I will read long posts from because they actually know how to think and write.
  • NickNam... Tomus M... 2009/05/30 17:04:34
    NickName his Dudeness
    +2
    There are a few...you're right that they're the exception though.
  • riverbeauty™ 2009/05/30 15:22:27
    riverbeauty™
    +3
    I get that way sometimes..... sorry

• NickNam... riverbe... 2009/05/30 17:05:05
    NickName his Dudeness
    +3
    lol...it's ok, so do I. I try not to though.
  • twothunders 2009/05/30 14:31:03
    twothunders
    +2
    Most of the one's I have received are not too bad. What really makes them seem long is when they ramble about something I just don't want to hear. I think the worst I have gotten are from religious people giving me a full sermon about how evil I am....LOL
  • Red high priestess in Nyx I... 2009/05/30 13:44:55
    Red high priestess in Nyx I trust
    +2
    I don't really remember the longest reply I had recieve in one of my questions, but just today. I repled on someone's question with a long comment!!!
  • masaca 2009/05/30 12:41:26 (edited)
    masaca
    +2
    I'll get really long one's on the political or religious posts when someone responds t me with media articles.or biblical text

They tend to be pretty lengthly.

I'm like

click button ill political posts responds media articles pretty lengthly
  • vote mobile lady time to CYA 2009/05/30 12:27:01
    vote mobile lady time to CYA
    +4
    My biggest issue with the long winede ones is my neck gives out before I am done reading so it seems rather useless to answer if I can't read the entire tome.
  • Sissy 2009/05/30 12:21:07
    Sissy
    +5
    I can't think of a particular one off-hand, but its usually when I'm being royally chewed out!! lol
  • NickNam... Sissy 2009/05/30 17:08:56
    NickName his Dudeness
    +1
    lol...at my old job, one of the best pieces of advice I received from a colleague was "don't write angry." I forget that rule on here pretty often though.
  • Sissy NickNam... 2009/05/30 17:19:22
  • Nat™ 2009/05/30 11:36:00 (edited)
    Nat™
    +5
    they were pretty long.

had to press the (more) link like 3 times.

no thanks.

2014/10/02 04:46:48