What's the Best Sign of a Great First Date?

We recently asked you what turns you off on a first date, and 51 percent of you said "cellphone dependency," or "not being able to put your cellphone down for more than 5 minutes at a time." We agree that this is a huge turn-off, but now we want to know, what makes for a great first date?

Based on past experience, we came up with a few key indicators:

1. Lots of laughing. Lots of laughing means you're clicking, and more importantly, having fun!

2. Physical attraction. If your knee keeps finding his under the table, or he keeps "accidentally" touching you, it's a sign that you can't keep your hands off of each other.

3. Good conversation flow. No lulls? It might be true love! It's never a great sign when you run out of things to talk about during your very first conversation.

4. Similar taste in ... something. Did you realize that you like the same movies or music, or have similar religious or political beliefs? This can build the foundation for a lasting relationship.

5. You can't keep your eyes off of each other. If you're gazing at each other ... and your smartphones are the last things on your minds ... you just might score a second date.

• Katfish 2012/04/26 16:58:22
    Lots of laughing
    Katfish
    +2
    Breakfast.
  • WilliamLClay 2012/04/26 16:54:31
    Physical attraction
    WilliamLClay
    +1
    I ALWAY's loook for a nice asss, an if she lets meee rub an fondle it when i drop her off, ill call her again, if no ass, i wont call her back.
  • RJS William... 2012/04/26 18:59:58
    RJS
    +3
    I hope you enjoy being alone forever :)
  • XRenX 2012/04/26 16:25:06
    Good conversation flow
    XRenX
    +3
    These days dating is a joke anyway. People only date to get laid and are slaves to their "urges". Always looking for sex, bummed if you can't find it =[ it's a bit funny and sad.

lol If I dated the type of man I'd date would be rare and unusual .....he'd have morals and respect.
  • RV ~ The Peacekeeper of PHAET 2012/04/26 16:18:37
    Lots of laughing
    RV ~ The Peacekeeper of PHAET
    +1
    I guess if you want to meet to a second date ;D
  • 2012/04/26 15:45:41 (edited)
    You can't keep your eyes off of each other
    +1
    I think it's very fantastic when a man and a woman can be attracted with each other,and their eyes focus in each other's.That's just a feeling ,but can suspass any words.That's the premise of a good conversation,because they like to talk with each other,they want to know more about each other.
  • kthulhu 2012/04/26 15:13:36
    Lots of laughing
    kthulhu
    +2
    well im not great at conversation, but i do like humor, so i try to be as funny as i can
  • RJS kthulhu 2012/04/26 19:00:54
    RJS
    +1
    Hey, funny conversation is still conversation. I bet you do better than you think! ^_^
  • darlenedoskas1969 2012/04/26 15:12:18
    Good conversation flow
    darlenedoskas1969
    +1
    if you can't keep up the conversation on the first date, there's no hope for subsequent dates
  • miss ellie shakeshead 2012/04/26 15:10:07
    Good conversation flow
    miss ellie shakeshead
    +2
    although i do look for all of the above.
  • Smokey 2012/04/26 15:03:39
    Lots of laughing
    Smokey
    +1
    I think physical attraction is important and it goes without saying, if your attracted to someone, you can't keep your eyes off each other. Similar taste in things would lead to good conversation flow and lots of laughing....which means your having a good time. There all important basically.
  • ~Adrien~ 2012/04/26 14:57:16
    Lots of laughing
    ~Adrien~
    +3
    Lots of laughing AND good conversation flow. Also, a good listener. . .
  • Mitsurugi Chiba 2012/04/26 14:55:09
    Good conversation flow
    Mitsurugi Chiba
    +1
    I bel;ieve all of the above
  • Aksana 2012/04/26 14:46:30
    Good conversation flow
    Aksana
    +1
    Almost all of the above
  • mikeyavelli 2012/04/26 14:44:31
    mikeyavelli
    +1
    and while at dinner you are already imagining where you dropped your pants and where you parked your car.
  • gwen.collignon 2012/04/26 14:43:15
    Good conversation flow
    gwen.collignon
    +2
    Good conversation and lost of laughing =D
  • Kristin Davis 2012/04/26 14:27:50
    Kristin Davis
    +1
    My best friend and I enjoy going out in a group or just as a couple or just staying home and snuggling playing silly games on the iPad and watching tv. It's awesome having someone to be so comfortable with in any situation
  • haShe 2012/04/26 14:24:55
    Good conversation flow
    haShe
    +1
    Good conversation is key, your brain can run the other scripts at the same time but it doesn't work in reverse.
  • Soms Cougli 2012/04/26 14:23:03
    Good conversation flow
    Soms Cougli
    +2
    I hate silence on a date, or awkward topic changes because there's nothing to talk about. If you can hold an intelligent conversation, you've ticked another box.
  • Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2012/04/26 14:13:00
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    All of the above.

When you want to take the person home lol; but have enough self control not to.
  • RoyDMer... Latti I... 2012/04/26 19:18:54
    RoyDMercer - IFOTFD
    +2
    uh huh, you know you go unlock your window and put out that neon sign pointing to it
  • Latti I... RoyDMer... 2012/04/26 19:20:55
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    Whatever Roy lol; I'm not stealing your technique.
  • fortycal_sig 2012/04/26 14:09:51
    Good conversation flow
    fortycal_sig
    +1
    Erm, All of the Above?
  • xluckyirishx 2012/04/26 14:09:45
    Good conversation flow
    xluckyirishx
    With good conversations come good laughs and u find out things about one another.
  • Sonny 2012/04/26 14:08:42
    Good conversation flow
    Sonny
    I have to say good conversation flow. have you ever been in a sweet conversation with someone and it can't stop getting better and better?....I mean everything you say, they say...really connects, you realize there is so much you have in common. me and this girl on a date actually don't like to eat buns with raisins in them, is that awesome or what?. second I would say physical attraction, but look are deceiving, they might not be staring at you for the reasons that you think. maybe a detour at one's apartment for a one night stand, Lots of laughter is good but not pleasant when the person is faking it. or more of a "plastic smile"..... if you don't get my jokes don't fake it. be honest, similar taste can be an asset but not a liability. yep I think that about cut it.
  • Flowers 2012/04/26 14:06:01
    Good conversation flow
    Flowers
    +3
    Physical attraction may be important to many but for me, if the person can't carry an intelligent conversation then They aren't worth a second date
  • TheMadChameleon 2012/04/26 14:01:17
    Good conversation flow
    TheMadChameleon
    +2
    Good conversationalists are hard to find! I'd say that that often goes along with "lots of laughing" and "similar taste in something" so those are also quite important to me.
  • BaLou 2012/04/26 13:54:04
    Good conversation flow
    BaLou
    +2
    You just know if you have a connection, or not. If that connection is there, then everything else will fall into place.
  • smitty 2012/04/26 13:37:00
    Physical attraction
    smitty
    The rest will be on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on dates. If I didn't find them attractive the rest will suffer.
  • Steampunk King 2012/04/26 13:10:23
    Steampunk King
    It's almost a combination of all of those, maybe a little less physical attraction though.
    I know one thing for sure though, I love my girlfriend <3 She is amazing!
  • Wally-Molon Labe! 2012/04/26 12:57:44
    Lots of laughing
    Wally-Molon Labe!
    All of these are good indicators of a possible match.
  • wackychocolate221 2012/04/26 12:52:29
    Good conversation flow
    wackychocolate221
    +1
    And lot's of laughing. :) couples laughing
  • Michael 2012/04/26 12:26:38
    Michael
    I go for primal attraction. The rest (chemistry etc) can be built in time. But if that initial thing isn't there, I'm out the door fast. My true answer as to what is a good sign of a first date is that there'd either be sex or a "let's get together tomorrow".
  • melbelle23 Michael 2012/04/26 12:56:26
    melbelle23
    +2
    you're describing lust, not love. You can get what you've described from a prostitute.
  • Michael melbelle23 2012/08/27 15:41:50 (edited)
    Michael
    The question was in regards to what i considered a sign of a date going well, not if i was seeking marriage. Theres a difference. Its not incorrect for me to think a date went well if sex was involved. 2+2=4.

The other side of what said was "ill see you tomorrow" another sign a date went well; meaning if the person has committed to seeing you again, the date went well. But see, of course you picked out the sex part because you WANT to believe men are pigs. Stop acting like you dont like sex and youre some asexual, angelic perfect creature. You take big greasy dumps at least once a week like everyone else. You pee, you burp, get morning crud in your eyes, you need water and air and affection, like everyone else. Stop acting like sex is some act of the devil
  • Queen 2012/04/26 12:21:32
    Good conversation flow
    Queen
    +1
    good talk makes someone heart to melt.
  • Bigbrowneyes 2012/04/26 12:12:54
    Lots of laughing
    Bigbrowneyes
    +1
    Let's be honest...I've gone on about two first dates in my life. And some people just don't show their true selves on first dates! I ended up becoming engaged to a guy I knew well. We went on dates once we got to know each other, and it was much better for both of us that way.
  • Sailorboy 2012/04/26 11:29:24
    Good conversation flow
    Sailorboy
    +1
    I think all of the above points can play a pivotal roll in deciding whether you find the other person interesting or not... however I think "Good conversation flow" would be an essential factor for me because you really 'don't wanna' spend your time with someone that you can not talk to without getting bored and wishing you were elsewhere instead... it is only if you are able to have good conversation flow that you will find yourself enjoying the company of the other person and wanna spend more time with them as time just seems to fly without both people even realising.
  • goinpostal 2012/04/26 11:01:20
    Lots of laughing
    goinpostal
    +1
    And she doesnt leave in 5min.
  • DDogbreath 2012/04/26 09:06:27
    Good conversation flow
    DDogbreath
    +2
    She swallows.

2014/11/23 00:01:47