What would you do to help yourself, if you were suddenly unemployed?

Pele Emerging 2012/01/19 23:44:51
Yes, I would shovel snow or do yard work or anything I could think of!
No, I can't do that sort of stuff, so I wouldn't.
We had the biggest snowfall of the winter. We got about 12 inches, which settled to about 8, followed by freezing rain. I am getting over a nasty virus that has had me sick for the last week. I'll go so far as to say that it's the sickest I've been since I had pneumonia 20 years ago. My cousin who currently lives with is also now sick with whatever this strain of flu is. As I went to pick up a prescription as the viral infection turned into a bacterial sinus infection, I wondered how on earth I was going to get the snow removed when I felt lousy and my cousin felt lousy, too.

As I came, there was a couple whom my cousin had just hired. They were going around the neighborhood shoveling walks for a very reasonable amount. Both are recently unemployed and wanted to do what they could to help themselves. As far as I was concerned, they were absolute angels to do what normally I don't mind doing, but right now don't have the strength to do.

I am thankfully, gainfully employed. I am also grateful not only for the help this couple gave, but am grateful that I can do some small thing to help THEM. What would you do? Would you make work for yourself, if you had to, in order to have something while you were unemployed?
shoveling snow

+1
    Done it before .. would do it again (and I'm also visually impaired .. and STILL do my own yardwork .. it certainly is slower .. but at least I can do it).
  • David (oYo) 2012/01/22 21:09:24
  • Pele Em... David (... 2012/01/22 21:57:49
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    I respected these folks for taking advantage of a situation and going with it. The weather was horrible. Job searching that day was probably not going to be fruitful, so they were making money as best they could.
  • David (... Pele Em... 2012/01/22 21:59:36
  • Pele Em... David (... 2012/01/22 22:01:08
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Well, I know I would figure out what I could do until I found one. Shoveling snow would not be for me, but I could tutor easily.
  • David (... Pele Em... 2012/01/22 22:02:44
  • Pele Em... David (... 2012/01/22 22:05:06
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    There you go, so you would do what you could while trying to find full time employment. Physical labor isn't the only thing. These folks were young--late 20's/early 30's, so it was a good thing for them. However, at my age, tutoring would make more sense.
  • David (... Pele Em... 2012/01/22 22:32:40
  • S. Gompers 2012/01/22 09:13:54
    S. Gompers
    +2
    I have done a lot worse, we did not have unemployment extensions back when I was unemployed shortly after 9-11.
  • Pele Em... S. Gompers 2012/01/22 14:27:16
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    Good for you. I think a creative person can find something to do or help. Can't do physical labor? Have a computer? How about helping others who are unemployed format their resume, fill out applications, spell check their letter of interest. So many go straight in a file because of stupid errors, that it would be a real service to make sure what someone sent it was letter perfect.
  • S. Gompers Pele Em... 2012/01/22 14:30:24
    S. Gompers
    +2
    I was always good at hustling up odd jobs, always been good at lifting heavy things. Even was a migrant worker.
  • Pele Em... S. Gompers 2012/01/22 14:37:24
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    You do what you have to do, IMHO. If you have a family, you take care of them as best you can. Expecting someone else to do it, does a disservice to your children.
  • S. Gompers Pele Em... 2012/01/22 14:39:29
    S. Gompers
    +2
    Unfortunately my kids never learned that lesson from me.
  • Pele Em... S. Gompers 2012/01/22 15:11:24
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    My daughter learned it before her older brothers. My second son learned it, and now, I'm relieved to say that my oldest son is finally learning this as well.
  • S. Gompers Pele Em... 2012/01/22 15:43:22
    S. Gompers
    +2
    Mine just expect things, they don't appreciate things or want to work for them. That would require effort.
  • Pele Em... S. Gompers 2012/01/22 21:02:25
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    My sons are not nearly as good at setting goals and figuring out exactly what steps it would take to reach the goal, but they are getting better.
  • S. Gompers Pele Em... 2012/01/23 02:33:20
    S. Gompers
    +2
    Mine are mid twenties, I don't think they will "grow" out of it.
  • Pele Em... S. Gompers 2012/01/23 05:08:33
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    My sons are early 30's and believe me, it took almost that long for the two of them to 'get it.' Their little sister was far better at understanding at a far younger age than her brothers. In some ways, little sis (who is mid 20's) taught her brothers by example what I couldn't seem to get through to them.
  • S. Gompers Pele Em... 2012/01/23 14:31:07
    S. Gompers
    +2
    Mine are mid twenties (girls), and clueless. I would not know how being like that is, I have been doing my own thing since I was 17.
  • Laura Lovegood 2012/01/20 19:22:33
  • Pele Em... Laura L... 2012/01/20 21:02:26
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    Good for you! My daughter babysat until she could get a regular job. I remember once she worked 3 jobs...and she was going to college, too. She did what she could. I was recently divorced and couldn't help with college expenses, though she lived with me, so I paid most of her living expenses (she's a picky eater, so she did buy a lot of food). Her dad did buy her books. She's graduated with her BA and is on working on her MA. She got married this fall, and now she and her new hubby are looking for a house.
  • Laura L... Pele Em... 2012/01/20 21:29:14
  • Pele Em... Laura L... 2012/01/20 22:08:20
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    Being willing to work hard and consider that possibilities. Daughter worked at her regular job (dealing at a casino), added a seasonal job (Halloween store), and also cleaned house for her aunt who has MS. She would have done that for free, but her aunt insisted on paying her.
  • Laura L... Pele Em... 2012/01/20 22:09:39
  • Pele Em... Laura L... 2012/01/20 22:20:19
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    I am proud of the young woman she's become, and I like her new husband, too.
  • Laura L... Pele Em... 2012/01/20 22:28:39
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2012/01/20 15:58:30
    Just MEH....Piwan
    +2
    Little jobs here and there, plus I have enough collectibles I could sell on ebay and probably make a decent amount of money!
  • JanHopkins 2012/01/20 14:26:49
    JanHopkins
    +2
    I'm pretty old to do snow shoveling but I'd use whatever skills I have to get by.
  • Pele Em... JanHopkins 2012/01/20 14:42:40
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    I thought to myself, that physical labor is not what I could easily do, but as a teacher, I could set up a tutoring service and tutor in reading, writing, and even math at lower levels. I could also tutor kids in the skills they SHOULD have before entering kindergarten.
  • JanHopkins Pele Em... 2012/01/20 14:56:03
    JanHopkins
    +2
    Sounds like you would do ok. I'm not a teacher but I could easily teach the rudiments of painting and sculpture.
  • Pele Em... JanHopkins 2012/01/20 15:03:45
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Hey, even be a street artist! It's speculation, but it did get me thinking if I would be proactive helping myself until I found another job.
  • JanHopkins Pele Em... 2012/01/20 18:29:35
    JanHopkins
    +2
    The streets of small towns are not condusive to artistry. I might try EBay though.
  • Pele Em... JanHopkins 2012/01/20 18:32:30
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Sometimes, even small towns have galleries where you could put your work for consignment. Even when you're employed and not facing unemployment at the moment, it's nice to speculate on what you could do to help yourself, while looking for work. I saw my ex go downhill in a hurry over depression from being unemployed. He did little to help himself, except feel sorry for himself. Sad, really.
  • JanHopkins Pele Em... 2012/01/20 18:54:27
    JanHopkins
    +2
    I think men need a boot in the butt more often than women when it comes to joblessness. I know my husband does.
    I have shown in a few places around the county but you must remember that most people don't spend on art out in the sticks. When I'm working I don't have time to do shows. I will retire in 5 or 6 years and then I'll have time.
  • Pele Em... JanHopkins 2012/01/20 21:03:42
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    True and in tough economic times, people aren't buying art. You might find a gallery in the closest big city where you could send your work. :)
  • hari 2012/01/20 09:34:49
    hari
    +1
    to do something always is better to avoid frustration
  • Kiki,Pixie,Worm 2012/01/20 05:41:41
    Kiki,Pixie,Worm
    +2
    I would probably help out people who needed it and actually GO LOOK FOR A JOB!!! Really, and this is my opinion, I think if you want something so bad, like a job, go and at least try to find one! I don't like when people are just hanging around expecting to live off of people's donations. Really that is just my opinion if you do not agree with it DO NOT be mean!
  • Pele Em... Kiki,Pi... 2012/01/20 05:50:31
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    That's sort of what I liked about this couple. They took advantage of the weather to offer a service. Trust me when I tell you that they price was well within the budget of anyone living in my neighborhood. I appreciated the offer, especially when after being sick, I was not up to doing it.
  • Kiki,Pi... Pele Em... 2012/01/20 05:57:29
    Kiki,Pixie,Worm
    +2
    See they did what they had to do! They didn't just sit there and wait! They took action :P
  • Pele Em... Kiki,Pi... 2012/01/20 06:23:44
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    Yes, and they didn't bitch and moan about it. They were out working. We told them that we'd be happy to have them shovel again, if we get more snow. They stopped by today--they made flyers and it mentioned that they were unemployed and doing jobs people needed done, along with their phone number. I think that two such hard workers should be employed, but they're doing what they can until they do find work.

2014/07/31 23:50:40