What would you do if you thought your cancer came back and you don't want to go through the chemo, radiation, or surgery again?

Rabidrabbit 2009/01/06 03:26:30
Cancer Sucks
Try alternative medicine
11 votes
46%
Call the witchdoctor
0 votes
0%
Go fishing and forget it
4 votes
17%
2 votes
8%
7 votes
29%

You must be a member of the group Cancer Sucks to vote on this poll.

• Chuck 2009/01/06 15:23:31
    Go fishing and forget it
    Chuck
    +6
    Personally, I would take all the necessary vitamins, as I am now, stay active, keep an open mind about life in general, and GO FISHING !

My Dad and my oldest Brother both died of Cancer, and I am 73 and supposedly Cancer Free. I hope that is true,and remains so, but I absolutely refuse to try to fight the inevitable, My attitude is simply this; untold billions of people have died before me and did it very successfully, and if they can do it, so can I. We all have to die of something, or somehow, and while no one, I'm sure, has a death wish, we are all intelligent enough to know that our time is going to come, sooner or later, and if we are aware of it coming sooner than expected, then we must do our 'bucket list' and the sooner we get started the more we're going to enjoy the rest of our life. Chuck

• Georgie's Girl 2009/07/27 18:44:41
    Georgie's Girl
    Before I made any decisions, I would find out for sure. THEN I would make up my mind what I would do... It would depend on how far advanced it was if I did have it. If it was advanced, I would opt for pain relief, and just let nature take it's course. If it were early, I would opt for going through the same course as I have already gone through, followed by alternative medicine, nutrition, etc.
  • Connor 2009/05/17 23:05:35
    Go fishing and forget it
    Connor
    don't they have minerals for meat or something
  • D 2009/02/09 05:20:35
    Try alternative medicine
    D
    +1
    Get back on strict nutritional regime, exercise, sunlight, water, rest, guided imagery, breathing and homeopathy.
  • lovelysybil 2009/01/12 07:27:27
    Try alternative medicine
    lovelysybil
    As long as I could get 10 yrs longer my kids would be grown and it would be alright for me too rest,....
  • Shar623 2009/01/10 20:22:11
    Shar623
    +4
    Hi. My husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in November of 1997. He lived three weeks. (Pancreatic cancer is very nasty). Pretty much four years to the day, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. At that time I was scared and went through the chemo and mastectomy. (I went to M.D. Anderson) So far, by the grace of God, I am fine. With what I know now, I'd not go through the chemo again, rather trust in God, who has brought me this far. I never asked why me. Why not me? I have learned from that experience, and am probably healthier now psychically and spiritually than ever before. I eat and act healthier now and have researched and take excellent supplements. Cancer does not have to mean a death sentence. I could not have done this with out the Lord and prayer.
  • Rabidra... Shar623 2009/01/11 01:50:47
    Rabidrabbit
    I am very sorry about your husband. I also have lost my father and brother to pancreatic cancer. They both worked at a factory that processed enriched uranium for bombs and power plants and were exposed to some rather nasty things. They died within 2 years of each other, my father lasted 1 year after diagnosis. My brother wasted away for 2 years and refused to go to the doctor until 9 weeks before he died. That is a dirty rotten disease and I hate it.
    I had my battle with throat cancer and did the chemo, radiation, and surgery. Once is enough for me. I am glad you are doing fine, I on the other hand, believe mine is back. No diagnosis yet, but some things you can sense.
  • holliday04 2009/01/09 05:10:53
    Try alternative medicine
    holliday04
    And enjoy life as much as I could

• OptimusP7777777 2009/01/07 00:25:17
    Try alternative medicine
    OptimusP7777777
    +1
    I would do a completely raw, vegan, organic diet with lots of juicing and alternative medicine only. There is a really good diet out there called the Hallelujah Diet and it has apparently worked for many people. I would do that. Why not? Even if you didn't recover completely, it would certainly improve your quality of life for the time you have left.
  • Caroline 2009/01/06 18:39:36
    Try alternative medicine
    Caroline
    +1
    I's been 14 years now since I've had Breast Cancer, YEA! At one point in my life I said I'd never go through that again. I think I have changed my mind now, it was pretty bad but I guess not that bad. I found my Angel after that and she has been with me ever sinse. Although while in surgery as I was waking up I heard the Dr. say whe haven't heard from Pathology yet have we? The nurse said no, then Pathology came over the intercome and said it was Malignant. Wow, did I wake up fast. The Surgeon looked at me and said You're awake? I said yes, he said what did you hear? I said I heard it was Malignant, he said don't worry I'm sure I got it all. I went back to the recovery room and cried, and cried and cried. 14 years later I'm going strong, have an Angel by my side, I'm 54 (for one more month) have 2 beautiful grandchildren and life is great. Hoping 2009 is better than 2008 and with that Happy New Year to all.
  • D Caroline 2009/02/09 05:26:21
    D
    +1
    Blessings, peace and continued health this year. Those are moments to remember. It's been almost ten years for me. Hard to believe time flies so fast.
  • sarah_palin 2009/01/06 18:00:36 (edited)
  • Chuck 2009/01/06 15:23:31
    Go fishing and forget it
    Chuck
    +6

• Jim Chuck 2009/01/06 17:28:13
    Jim
    +1
    Wonderful response Chuck and I share your sentiments on dying.
  • dmac Chuck 2009/07/24 02:13:26
    dmac
    What a really great attitude. I love it and you for sharing it.
  • sktdriver77 PROUD RIGHT WIN... 2009/01/06 15:04:46 (edited)
    Try alternative medicine
    sktdriver77 PROUD RIGHT WING EXTREMIST
    +1
    Pawpaw or graviola. It seeks out the cancer cells and destroys them. Not EVERY cell like chemo does. To me it is a race which will kill you faster the chemo or the cancer. Jan Crouch whose husband Paul started Trinity Broadcasting Network refused chemo and radiation and took this and she is now cancer free!!! That and thanking God for healing even tho you may not see it because it is in the spirit realm will cause it to manifest in the natural and in the body!! This is what i believe anyway.
  • Underfrog 2009/01/06 14:58:27
    Underfrog
    +3
    Survival is not about what you want, what you think or how you feel. It is about doing whatever it takes to stay alive. Would do the chemo, radiation, surgery and every natural remedy I could get my hands ons. Then go fishing with a 6-pack in the cooler.
  • Pip 2009/01/06 14:00:29
    Pip
    +6
    I took care of my wife throughout her fight against this cruel killer. She was a gutsy fighter, until she was told there was no help for her. I new that months before, but I remained silent. I didn't want her to give up. Like many of us, I was hoping for some miracle to occur. Her miracle did occur, at 7:15 PM April 23, 2007, it was at that time she entered Heaven.

To say I want to do the same thing she did, would be like talking through the side of my mouth. It takes great courage, strength, and a strong faith to accept the next faze of life. Anita did this with a silent courage and determination. I never did know when she accepted the eventual end. So, to answer the question, I would say, I'll pray for my angel to give me the courage and strength to not be afraid to join God's Kingdom.
  • dmac Pip 2009/01/06 14:56:58
    dmac
    +2
    I am so sorry for your loss. I have said so many times that for some reason I 've been blessed for the extra time I have had. I watched my father die of cancer. He fought it for about 5 yrs. It was hard and the toll it took on my mother was sad and hard to watch.
    Bless you and hopefully you can find some happiness in your life.
  • Pip dmac 2009/01/06 17:22:52
    Pip
    Thank you for your kind words! I'm doing well, to think on these terms brings it back! I know where she is ,that makes it easier!
  • Rabidra... Pip 2009/01/06 17:29:04
    Rabidrabbit
    +2
    So sorry about your loss, Pip. Your comments are obviously from your heart, very moving. Thanks for sharing this with us.
  • Ed - In God I Trust 2009/01/06 13:22:15
    Go fishing and forget it
    Ed - In God I Trust
    +5
    IMHO, I would definitely go fishing while continuing my prayers, thus, leaving it in the hands of our Lord.
  • dmac 2009/01/06 04:37:25 (edited)
    dmac
    +6
    Depends on how bad you want to hang around this old world.
    I had Colon cancer 17 yrs ago. Surgery and 13 months of Chemo. Then a small breast Cancer just 4 yrs ago and extensive new treatment. Radiation 2 times a day for a week and I am on tamoxifen for at least 5 yrs. . In Oct they found another small spot on my Colon. they took me in to surgery in a couple of weeks and took care of it. No Chemo or anything .else. 3 Cancers in 17 yrs almost to the day. I was clean over 13 yrs.
    I have a very good team of Doctors and trust them completely and do as I am advised. Even though my heart almost stops and sinks to my toes. They have been with me through everything. I have faith in all 4 of them. I am going to be 69 in April and plan on sticking around till I am at least 85.
  • ~Just B... dmac 2009/01/06 04:52:35 (edited)
    ~Just Bite Me~
    +3
    You are very lucky! Not many people survive colon cancer, there is something about it that chemo and radiation will not take care of. My father lost his bother to it about 15 years ago. Keep up the fight, I honestly believe that part of the cure is your attitude!
  • dmac ~Just B... 2009/01/06 05:03:07
    dmac
    +3
    Like I said a great team of doctors that stay right on top of me. I can't say enoough good things about my Drs. and the local Cancer Center in Coeur d' Alene, ID. I am very blessed in a lot of ways. They see to it I have tests every 6 months on the breast and annual colonoscopy (SP) A lot of things I would rather do but that one day out of my life once a yr. is well worth it. EARLY DETECTION!!! Attitude and I am told as stubborn a fighter as I am has helped. LOL.
  • D dmac 2009/02/09 05:29:42
    D
    love your spirit. Stay strong.
  • ivan dmac 2009/07/24 01:23:37
    ivan
    Good for you, stay stubborn
  • krafty 2009/01/06 04:28:10
    krafty
    +3
    My heart bleeds for all that suffer from this horrible disease. I am in no position to give advice, but, I have often said that if it were me I would not pursue treatment if it meant I had to sacrifice quality of life just to last another month or two. This is a very personal thing and every person has to do what they feel is right for themselves and their families. If you are a cancer victim I pray for a recovery for you.
  • rebmama krafty 2009/01/06 14:43:01
    rebmama
    +4
    They're going to carry me through the Pearly Gates kicking and screaming!

carry pearly gates kicking screaming
  • ivan rebmama 2009/07/24 01:24:47
    ivan
    I'm with ya on that one, probably scatching and cursing too
  • rebmama ivan 2009/07/24 02:22:00
    rebmama
    lol! I'm in this all the way!
  • ivan rebmama 2009/07/24 03:20:10
    ivan
    right there with ya, they can have my cold corpse when they pry it from my hands
  • rebmama ivan 2009/07/24 03:56:47
    rebmama
    lol! May I ask what kind you have?
  • dmac krafty 2009/07/24 02:03:15 (edited)
    dmac
    I'm 17 yr colon cancer survivor. and just found out I am 41/2 yr breast cancer survivor. That is because I did what my cancer doctors wanted me to do. I would tell anyone that I have the best team of doctors in the USA. They tell it like it is and give the choices for treatment and then recommend something and then it is your decision. Why the hell die unnecessarily if a little discomfort for a few months can give you years left with your family and friends. But that is a persons choice. i wonder how many have really suffered more and died because of the attitude of not going to loose a few months of quality of life. There are times when it isn't found in good time to work with it and try to control it (remission). I 've know several that waited to long to go for checkups and it turned out to be to late. And it is not a good sight to watch. Please, Please-- Make sure you do your checkups and anything unusual have it checked.
  • Sufferer ♏ⒶRGⒶR☝†E 2009/01/06 04:27:16
    Try alternative medicine
    Sufferer ♏ⒶRGⒶR☝†E
    +3
    I would only try alternative medicine if it was approved by legal doctors, if it was better than chemo, radiation and surgery. If not, I would stick to the those three regardless of whether or not I liked them, as long as it did not bankrupt my family and they can continue to be supported.
  • dmac Suffere... 2009/01/06 06:02:16
    dmac
    +3
    When I was diagnosed 17 yrs ago and thought I was going to have a heart attack from the news I said now what? And in the next breath I told them to cut that crappy stuff out of me and the sooner the better. And then we 'd go from there. Kind of took the 2 Dr.s back that I made that decision so fast.
    I had Medicare but it broke my heart when my late husband cashed in his 401 K and it took 3/4 of it to pay off the rest of the bill. He insisted on doing that instead of making all those
    monthly pmts on the balance.
  • rebmama Suffere... 2009/01/06 14:18:54
    rebmama
    +4
    Believe me there are more options all the time.Some things to remember: 1. Do your own research, then ask your Dr. about what you found. 2. Any I.V, treatment is considered chemo, including the new "targeted" or biologic therapies. 3. If the treatmentyou choose is a clinical study, you will not pay for the medicine, but you will for CT scans, etc.
    I am NOT FINISHED!

3 treatmentyou choose clinical study pay medicine ct scans finished 3 treatmentyou choose clinical study pay medicine ct scans finished
  • rebmama 2009/01/06 04:11:23
    Try alternative medicine
    rebmama
    +4
    I'm in a clinical trial right now, and I will keep fighting.

alternative medicine clinical trial fighting
  • Rabidra... rebmama 2009/03/11 16:41:26
    Rabidrabbit
    +1
    How's it going, rebmama?
  • rebmama Rabidra... 2009/03/11 17:35:43
    rebmama
    The trial medicine quit working, and we're looking for something else. I'm still fighting, just temporarily out of ammunition. Thanks for asking!
  • Rabidra... rebmama 2009/03/15 19:56:43
    Rabidrabbit
    +1
    Thanks for the update. Keep reloading, we got your back. Let us know what we can do for you.

2014/09/23 06:01:24