What would the world be like today if the Soviet Union had never collapsed?

Vive le Canada Libre!!! 2011/04/10 00:50:24
In 1991 there was the Soviet Coup Attempt which began on August 19. At the time, President Mikhail Gorbachev was on vacation but was planning to return on the 20th in order to sign a union treaty that would have kept the Soviet Union together. What would the world be like to today if he had succeeded in signing that treaty and the Soviet Union never collapsed in December 1991.

Would the States still consider the USSR the main enemy or would they move on to their current fight against global terrorism?
I personally think it was better, because the US was held in check by the USSR and vice-versa and not having only a sole superpower hell bent on doing whatever they want.

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_coup_attempt_o...

• Albannach 2011/04/10 01:36:03 (edited)
    Albannach
    +6
    This will be my first political question I have answered. As someone who lived most of their life during the cold war, and remembers the Cuban missile crisis and paranoia and fear that existed then, I was fearful of the Soviet Union.

I served in the Royal Navy and it was quite clear there was one enemy the Soviet Union all others were superfluous compared to the might of Communist Russia as it was sometimes referred. Everything was geared to it's ultimate destruction if war broke out, and sadly ours as well. I must admit I was quite happy when the Soviet Union collapsed, because I had been bombarded so long with that idea to regard them as the enemy.

I'm not that pleased now, nor do I think it has made the world any safer since it's collapse. We now have one super power with all that entails, no checks and balances, no credible opposition strong enough to prevent it from doing exactly what it likes. We face uncertain times, we no longer have an single enemy we can point at any more. Instead we are at war with an idea. it has no borders or cities to attack or a seat in the UN.

• Radical communist 2012/04/29 16:04:41 (edited)
    Radical communist
    I live in Russia. It hurts to read your delusion about the USSR and socialism. I hate the phrases like "Stalin killed millions of innocent". Firstly, your magnitude of Stalin's repression is likely to be a big exaggeration and a lie. Secondly, almost in all cases Stalin repressed criminals and traitors that deserved it. At meetings I watch hugging the portraits of Stalin old ones who remember that time! Can't you understand you are brainwashed so that you don't oppose capitalist politics?! The Soviet Union was an Empire of Good, which carried the hope for saving of humanity; There existed other principles of life under the soviet socialism. We lived in society free from false values and hating each other, from greed and vulgarity. Isn't it simple happiness to live so? Most importantly, there was process of creation and labor, not consumption in the center: Such a system would ensure peaceful coexistence to all counries and the conservation of natural resources for many years. But west association of the influential wealthy changed other way. The Union didn't collapse by itself, it was destroyed by certain people with support from the West. This occurred because Gorbachev and his team destroyed welfare of the country. I'm sorry, but for the time being, the USA remains a coun...
    I live in Russia. It hurts to read your delusion about the USSR and socialism. I hate the phrases like "Stalin killed millions of innocent". Firstly, your magnitude of Stalin's repression is likely to be a big exaggeration and a lie. Secondly, almost in all cases Stalin repressed criminals and traitors that deserved it. At meetings I watch hugging the portraits of Stalin old ones who remember that time! Can't you understand you are brainwashed so that you don't oppose capitalist politics?! The Soviet Union was an Empire of Good, which carried the hope for saving of humanity; There existed other principles of life under the soviet socialism. We lived in society free from false values and hating each other, from greed and vulgarity. Isn't it simple happiness to live so? Most importantly, there was process of creation and labor, not consumption in the center: Such a system would ensure peaceful coexistence to all counries and the conservation of natural resources for many years. But west association of the influential wealthy changed other way. The Union didn't collapse by itself, it was destroyed by certain people with support from the West. This occurred because Gorbachev and his team destroyed welfare of the country. I'm sorry, but for the time being, the USA remains a county-devourer, Evil empire because its government contributed to the destruction of many countries including the USSR, Yugoslavia, Libya. Please, don't listen to american anticommunist myth! Capitalism is a stupid system of devouring each other, which сan destroy the humanity. Money can't buy happiness! And it's pointless to live for increasing private welfare! Or do you like to turn into a pig? Please, discard your myths and join communists! Russia will be socialist, USA, EU too. In confirmation, look which party has actually won russian elections 2011: izbircom2011.ru. Now, do you believe?! (If I made any grammatical mistakes, tell me, please.)
  • This is W³ 2012/01/31 06:24:05
    This is W³
    +1
    The world would have been a helluva lot more stable. There wouldn't be a war in the Trans-Dneister area, there wouldn't be any animosity among western and eastern Ukrainians, the Caucacus region wouldn't be so rife with violence and warfare among the many nationalities, and the republics in Central Asia would not be fighting with their own peoples.

Sometimes, I long for the days of the Cold War. At least we knew who our enemy was.
  • SteveMarine- JLA 2012/01/31 06:21:42
    SteveMarine- JLA
    It would be obamas heaven....
  • doctorwhofan 2011/11/30 23:00:12
    doctorwhofan
    By now we could easily all have died in a nuclear war
  • Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ 2011/11/30 22:17:12
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    The soviet would always have collapsed....just like how capitalism is always destined to collapse. It's just a matter of time.
  • Curmudgeon 2011/10/10 18:13:42
    Curmudgeon
    Seeing as vladimir putin is hinting that if he gets the presidency he want to create an "eastern economic bloc," a newer version of the old USSR might emerge again with the overall weakness of the American economy.

We'll have to see if someone tries to steal center stage.
  • Ruthless Progressive 2011/06/25 07:55:07
    Ruthless Progressive
    +3
    This is a good question. Very good question. I think Soviet Russia would've been a much HUGER threat now (compared to.. say 20 years ago). December 25, 2011 (20TH anniversary since collapse)
  • Commrade#371 2011/06/25 02:43:06
    Commrade#371
    Well during the end of the Soviet Union it actualy got closer to true socialism... So perhaps today it would be the 1 country in the world.
  • Peanut 2011/04/10 02:54:17
    Peanut
    wow that's such a good question..

and a good question deserves a good answer which i don't have cuz SO many things could have happened
  • The Terrific Whatzit BN-0 2011/04/10 01:49:34
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    +3
    The Soviets would have kept a lot of the radical Islamic elements in check in their sphere of influence. Eastern and central Europe would still be under lockdown and under Soviet control. China's relationship with the U.S. would be better, as both see one another as less threatening than the USSR. And America wouldn't be acting like the world's policeman, because the Soviet's would object and seek to counteract American military activity wherever it occurred, making military ops in Asia and North Africa quite a bit more perilous.
  • John-Michael 2011/04/10 01:41:15
    John-Michael
    +2
    We would still be waging a cold war and the Muslims would be scared to death of us because we would be in a position of strenght instead of the weak state we are in now. They see us a vulneralbe, which we are.
  • jams 2011/04/10 01:39:06
    jams
    +2
    We'd still be allied with Al Qaeda and Saddam, for one.
    Albannach
    +6

• Vive le... Albannach 2011/04/10 01:54:12
    Vive le Canada Libre!!!
    +1
    A thought did come to mind just now. Could you imagine if Vladimir Putin was the leader of the USSR?
  • Albannach Vive le... 2011/04/10 02:08:12 (edited)
    Albannach
    +1
    Even if they hated them the Russians always respected strength and a degree of brutality in their leaders. it took that to rule such a enormous and diverse empire, and to keep it in check.

Putin would just be another autocrat no better no worse than the many that came before, perhaps with the exception of Stalin. Such was the political reality of the Soviet Union. If Putin had the power that say Nikita Khrushchev or Leonid Brezhnev had who were considered moderate by Soviet standards. I'm sure he would clamped down on any opposition just as hard as they both did.
  • Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm... 2011/04/10 00:55:45
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +2
    Great question!!!!

2014/07/30 05:17:42