What were your grandparents like?

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/04/16 10:58:46
Related Topics: Grandparent, Grandparents

• Catnip 2012/10/18 08:22:34
    Catnip
    +1
    Amazing people! My Grandpa was always trying to make us laugh! My Nana was sweet and was an amazing cook. She even made a bowl of cereal taste better than when we poured it ourselves. I don't know how she did that!
  • ⚜Ellen⚜ ☼True American Patr... 2012/10/17 01:35:29 (edited)
    ⚜Ellen⚜ ☼True American Patriot ☼
    +1
    They were the Absolute BEST !!!

My Daddy's side... I didn't know my PaPaw because he died of a heart attack when my daddy was 15. But my MaMaw was the Best MaMaw God Graced this earth with! She worked as a Seamstress at Sewing Factory in Magnolia, MS until she retired. She did her fair share of picking cotton and hard labor. Her name was Retta Mae, but everyone called her Retta or Ms. Retta....and she was the epitome of Class and a True Southern Lady that loved her family with all the love God could grace a human being with.... especially her children and grandchildren. She had the compassion and patience of a Saint. She worked hard and loved hard. She was tall and so were all 7 of her children, including my Daddy. Thats where I get my height from, is his side of the family. Well, my other Grandpaw that I talk about below was tall and slim too. I'm shorter compared to all of them. My MaMaw was such a lady, but she loved to watch her wrestling every Sunday. She took me everywhere with her. And could work along side any man, anytime.... and she did it with style...

My Momma's side... My PaPaw was the Funniest and Funnest PaPaw Ever!!! ...He sure did love us and we loved him right back. His name was Seth J ... he went by Seth and the J didn't stand for anything. He gave it to hims...

They were the Absolute BEST !!!

My Momma's side... My PaPaw was the Funniest and Funnest PaPaw Ever!!! ...He sure did love us and we loved him right back. His name was Seth J ... he went by Seth and the J didn't stand for anything. He gave it to himself because he didn't have a middle name. He always brought us a bag of bubble gum on Sunday and took us fishing down at the creek before Sunday Dinner. He fought in World War II and the Korean War. When we spent the night with him and MaMaw, he'd sometimes jump up in his sleep and salute and announced his name, rank etc. He always gave me sips of his beer and puffs from his cigarettes. lol ...Rotten, rotten, rotten. lol He was such a pill. ;) He use to start jibber jabbering in a "pretend foreign language" and said it was Scottish, and yep, I believed him. He could cut up, that's for sure! He always wore jeans and a denim shirt with a straw cowboy hat and handkerchief in his back pocket. He was the "pull my finger type" He was tall and slim and as rugged as he was, he wrote in Calligraphy style and he was good at it too! He was fast too, I was always amazed. I use to sit with him at the dining room table and watch him write ads down from the swap meet that was on the table radio. He worked as a Carpenter, and work on a Pipeline and was a Taxi Cab Driver in New Orleans, LA ...Pascagoula, MS. and Hattiesburg, MS and my hometown of McComb, MS. Jack of all trades. He loved and raised English Bulldogs. He named one Zsa Zsa because he loved Zsa Zsa Gabor. He always reminded me of Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke. That's who he looked like to me anyway. And that man that played the judge in the movie "A Time To Kill" ...Patrick McGoohan, (i think that's his name) who also had a role in "Braveheart" He just looked like them to me... had the same features and was always clean shaven.

My other MaMaw... married to my PaPaw Seth.... She is the only one still alive, but is kind of in her last days. She worked as a Telephone Operator for years for Bell South Telephone Company until she retired as well. Her name is Evelyn. Alice Evelyn to be exact. She was from the Gulf Coast and thats where my Momma was born... in Pascagoula, MS. My grandmother Stewart worked hard her whole life too and she was such a BEAUTIFUL Lady. She had the Beauty and Poise of a Movie Star. She's always been there for me when I needed her, when no one else could I should say... she always found a way. I'll post photos of them one of these days. Her and my PaPaw always slept in the same room but in separate beds like on I Love Lucy, but they had full size beds. They both had a reading lamp attached to the wall above their beds to read by every night. They use to read Louis L'amour westerns every single night. I can still remember the smells of both my Grandparents homes. What I wouldn't give to have my whole family back together here again. All taken to soon. Especially my Momma and Daddy. All the grand kids called them "Nannie and Poppa". They were the BEST Nannie and Poppa our kids could've asked for too... My Daddy was in the Army and went on to marry my Very Beautiful Mother and owned his own successful Plumbing business for 35 years until he was forced to retire due to health issues. My Momma worked as his secretary and she defiantly did her part in his business. When they were first married, she worked at a big car dealership as the secretary there. That's when we had a very sweet babysitter and maid, named "Ada Mae" Later my Mother and I worked at the same Insurance Company together. One of her best friends owned the company and hired us. We both did very well there. My Mother, later volunteered at the Crisis Pregnancy Center and was a Catholic School Teacher. She taught Religion and also did the Spanish Mass, and she was SO Awesome. She was one fine lady, for sure. The kids loved her and were heartbroken and traumatized when she passed away from metastasized breast cancer. So were her friends and family.. It has been extremely hard losing both my Momma and Daddy. My Daddy always wore cowboy hats too, as my PaPaw did, but Daddy always wore the felt kind. My Daddy and PaPaw were both tall and slim and had that cowboy swagger when they walked. My son has that same exact swagger. His mannerisms and wisdom are the same as my Daddy, and his quick wit and off the chart humor, he got that from my PaPaw SJ. Not a day goes by, that I don't think of them all. It sure feels like they're all with me most all of the time. I come from good stock, no doubt about it! : ) ...Nothing Nothing Nothing at all, like family. ♥
    successful business 35 years forced retire health issues feels family
  • SlaveWaterNymph 2012/04/16 22:27:29
  • P. Sturm 2012/04/16 21:16:36
    P. Sturm
    +1
    Pretty old, in fact I can only remember the paternal grandmother as being alive. My maternal grandpa died from TBA at 27, his wife joined him 4 years later in the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918? My paternal Granddad died young in a oilfield accident.
  • KarenInKenoshaWisconsin 2012/04/16 20:16:00
    KarenInKenoshaWisconsin
    +1
    My grandfather was a polyglot engineer and university professor in Estonia. My grandmother was a poetry writing artist who could sing songs from an entire opera she only heard once before. They were very reserved but direct people in many ways, though my grandmother was emotional at times. Neither of them ever hugged us. They just didn't do physical contact. They showed their love in other ways. I'm in my 50s, so they've both been gone for over ten years...
  • dandieselonian 2012/04/16 19:32:42
    dandieselonian
    +1
    they worked for the state dept wiretap
  • Megz 2012/04/16 19:22:09
    Megz
    +1
    my grandma is like a mum to me but also she's going a bit deaf :) and my grandad well he died a few weeks back now probs about 3 but im okay bout it :/ well he was very grumpy loved trains, he kept to himself and he wasn't very keen on girls (me and my mum) we never knew why tho :( but we always loved him and we always will!!!!<3 :)
  • Megz Megz 2012/04/16 19:24:46
  • Leah 2012/04/16 18:51:31
    Leah
    +1
    I don't remember them very well, they died when I was very young. I do remember them being very nice, though :)
  • Crime Time 2012/04/16 17:53:47
  • **Southern Man** 2012/04/16 17:37:05
  • compufreek 2012/04/16 17:29:59
    compufreek
    +1
    Both maternal and paternal were fun!!! When we were 13 and 11, my bro and I had a great time when we spent the night at their houses.
  • Nameless 2012/04/16 17:21:40
    Nameless
    +2
    I only saw my paternal grandfather twice and my paternal grandmother once. My maternal grandparents hated each other. When we would to go their home we were never allowed to sit on the furniture or touch anything at all. So, they were "great" grandparents...
  • Camilla 2012/04/16 16:00:11
    Camilla
    +1
    fantastic.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/04/16 15:16:08 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1

according to my Uncles He was a kind soul and a Gentle heard thou he never went to school he was very educated my Grandfather never stuck his kids EVER his form of discipline was make them Read Books any kind of book espally Dictionaries etc

my mothers Father was a World war 2 hero he was on the The Indianapolis which was sunk by the japanese

The USS Indianapolis carried the trigger and radioactive core of the atomic bomb later dropped on Hiroshima (the Little Boy device). The Indy is also well known for the circumstances of its sinking, on the return voyage from dropping off the bomb components. The Indianapolis was torpedoed on 29 July, and sank quickly with the second greatest overall loss of life for any single US Navy ship sinking -- approximately 800 men in total.

The Indianapolis disaster is also known for the huge number of shark related deaths as a large compliment of the crew remained alfoat in excellent survival conditions for about 3 days. It turns out that the Indianpolis' cargo had been so secret, there was no record conveyed to its destination, and thus the ship was not reported as overdue, and no rescue was started until the remaining crew were spotted on August 2 by a passing patrol plane. Shark deaths were roughly 500 souls.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/04/16 14:44:36
    Rebel Yell
    +1
    My grandpa lived with us and watched over the kids while my parents worked the farm. He taught me to help too at an early age, feeding the chickens and ducks at age 4. He had a beautiful voice and sang songs from his homeland, Switzerland. He was a good, kind man. I don't remember the grandmas or other grandpa from Germany.
  • baxter 2012/04/16 14:18:32
    baxter
    +1
    My grand parents a nice couple
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/04/16 14:12:52
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +1
    To us grandkids they were fun and spoiled all of us.
  • Jan Haskell 2012/04/16 13:42:18
    Jan Haskell
    +1
    I lived most of my childhood with my maternal grandparents, and they were the best. Grandpa was a railroad detective, and he spent most of his spare time making and fixing things in his workshop for my brother and me (crystal sets, a car made from a lawn mower, etc.) Grandma had a huge garden and was the best cook in the world. I still miss them every day.
  • HippiesKnowAll 2012/04/16 13:39:24
    HippiesKnowAll
    +1
    I only know my Grams on my Mom's side of the family. My Grandfather passed away when I was like a year old. My father and his parents are not in my life.
  • MJ 2012/04/16 12:59:41
    MJ
    +1
    They were fun
  • wolf sloan 2012/04/16 12:09:13
  • Now Lost 2012/04/16 11:44:53
    Now Lost
    +1
    they were older folks
  • Yosyp 2012/04/16 11:36:27
    Yosyp
    +1
    Very hard working, my grandmother is 79 and she does more work before 9am than many people do all day. She owns a hostle and still gets up at 5am, makes the breakfast takes care of her guest, she amazes me.
  • Hope 2012/04/16 11:33:22
    Hope
    +1
    Never met them.
  • crewzer1 2012/04/16 11:13:22
    crewzer1
    +1
    On my Mom's side - My Grandpa was onry and My grandma use too sleep in her chair. While on my Dads side, I never met grand Dad (cuz he was dead) But Grandma always shared her wine with me: she was the Best and I miss her. Yep all of them are Dead Now. Sweet Memories.
  • 3052457 2012/04/16 11:13:15
  • Angela Chambers 2012/04/16 11:09:12
  • Miko Mikomiko 2012/04/16 11:05:01
    Miko Mikomiko
    +1
    My grandparents are like my parents they were the ones who took care of me as a kid, having teenage parents and all.
  • Jessica ♥ Nick = foreva 2012/04/16 11:04:49
    Jessica ♥  Nick = foreva
    +1
    Well well my grand pa and grandma they are rich really rich and I love them they can do wateva I want I can go some wher like holidays and shhhhhhh is true don't Teel any one is a fkng secret thank you
  • MissingTheO.C. 2012/04/16 11:02:01
    MissingTheO.C.
    +1
    fun, loving, spiritual. Really great people :D

2014/04/18 20:58:01