What Were The Last Words Of Jesus On The Cross?

Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/09/22 01:11:52
Related Topics: Christ, Jesus, Father, Word, Words
It Is Finished
Father, into your hands I commit my spirit

• Icon 2012/10/08 05:11:16
    It Is Finished
    Icon
    "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." ~ John 19:30

"And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." ~ Luke 23:46

So it depends on which Apostle you ask.
  • Nam Era... Icon 2012/10/08 16:33:23
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    True but most Biblical scholars say the following
    http://christianity.about.com...
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/...
    http://www.jesuschristsavior....
    Here are his Seven Words, the last seven expressions of Jesus Christ on the Cross recorded in Scripture.

THE FIRST WORD

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."
    Gospel of Luke 23:34
    Jesus is looking down from the cross just after he was crucified between two criminals. He sees the soldiers who have mocked him, scourged him and tortured him, and who have just nailed him to the cross. He probably remembers those who have sentenced him - Caiaphas and the Sanhedrin, Pontius Pilate, and Herod. But is he not also thinking of his Apostles and companions who have deserted him, to Peter who has denied him three times, to the fickle crowd, who only days before praised him on his entrance to Jerusalem, and then days later chose him over Barabbas to be crucified?

Is he also thinking of us, who daily forget him in our lives?

Does he react angrily? No! At the height of his physical suffering, his love prevails and He asks His Father to forgive them!

Right up to his final hours on earth, Jesus preaches forgiveness. He teaches forgiveness in the Lord's prayer: "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us" (Mat...

http://christianity.about.com...
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/...
    http://www.jesuschristsavior....

THE FIRST WORD

Gospel of Luke 23:34

Right up to his final hours on earth, Jesus preaches forgiveness. He teaches forgiveness in the Lord's prayer: "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us" (Matthew 6:12). When asked by Peter, how many times should we forgive someone, Jesus answers seventy times seven (Matthew 18:21-22). At the Last Supper, Jesus explains his crucifixion to his Apostles when he tells them to drink of the cup: "Drink of it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" (Matthew 26:27-28). He forgives the paralytic at Capernaum (Mark 2:5), and the adulteress caught in the act and about to be stoned (John 8:1-11). And even following his Resurrection, his first act is to commission his disciples to forgive: "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained" (John 20:22-23).

THE SECOND WORD

"Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."
    Gospel of Luke 23:43
    Now it is not just the religious leaders or the soldiers that mock Jesus, but even one of the criminals, a downward progression of mockery. But the criminal on the right speaks up for Jesus, explaining the two criminals are receiving their just due, whereas "this man has done nothing wrong." Then, turning to Jesus, he asks, "Jesus, remember me when you come in your kingdom" (Luke 23:42). What wonderful faith this repentant sinner has in Jesus - far more than the doubting Thomas, one of his own Apostles. Ignoring his own suffering, Jesus mercifully responds with His second word.

The second word again is about forgiveness, this time directed to a sinner. Just as the first word, this Biblical expression again is found only in the Gospel of Luke. Jesus shows his Divinity by opening heaven for a repentant sinner - such generosity to a man that only asked to be remembered!

THE THIRD WORD

"Jesus said to his mother: "Woman, this is your son".
    Then he said to the disciple: "This is your mother."
    Gospel of John 19:26-27
    Jesus and Mary are together again, at the beginning of his ministry in Cana and now at the end of his public ministry at the foot of the Cross. What sorrow must fill her heart, to see her Son mocked, tortured, and crucified. Once again, a sword pierces Mary's soul: we are reminded of the prediction of Simeon at the Temple (Luke 2:35) . There are four at the foot of the cross, Mary his Mother, John, the disciple whom he loved, Mary of Cleopas, his mother's sister, and Mary Magdalene. He addresses his third word to Mary and John, the only eye-witness of the Gospel writers.

But again Jesus rises above the occasion, and his concerns are for the ones that love him. The good son that He is, Jesus is concerned about taking care of his mother. In fact, this passage offers proof that Jesus was the only child of Mary, because if he did have brothers or sisters, they would have provided for her. But Jesus looks to John to care for her.

St. Joseph is noticeably absent. The historic paintings, such as Tondodoni by Michelangelo and The Holy Family by Raphael, suggest Joseph was a considerably older man. St. Joseph had probably died by the time of the crucifixion, or else he would have been the one to take care of Mary. Early Christian traditions and the second-century apocryphal Protoevangelium of James held that Joseph was a widower, and his children by his former wife were the "brothers and sisters of Jesus."

Another striking phrase indicating Jesus was an only child is Mark 6:3, referring to Jesus: "Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and the brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?" Now if James, Joses and Judas and Simon were also natural sons of Mary, Jesus would not have been called the "son of Mary," but rather "one of the sons of Mary."

THE FOURTH WORD

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
    Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34
    This was the only expression of Jesus in the Gospels of Matthew and Mark. Both Gospels related that it was in the ninth hour, after 3 hours of darkness, that Jesus cried out this fourth word. The ninth hour was three o'clock in Palestine. After the fourth Word, Mark related with a horrible sense of finality, "And Jesus uttered a loud cry, and breathed his last" (Mark 15:37).

One is struck by the anguished tone of this expression in contrast to the first three words of Jesus. This cry is from the painful heart of the human Jesus who must feel deserted by His Father and the Holy Spirit, not to mention his earthly companions the Apostles. As if to emphasize his loneliness, Mark even has his loved ones "looking from afar," not close to him as in the Gospel of John. Jesus feels separated from his Father. He is now all alone, and he must face death by himself.

But is not this exactly what happens to all of us when we die? We too are all alone at the time of death! Jesus completely lives the human experience as we do, and by doing so, frees us from the clutches of sin.

His fourth Word is the opening line of Psalm 22, and thus his cry from the Cross recalls the cry of Israel, and of all innocent persons who suffer. Psalm 22 of David makes a striking prophecy of the crucifixion of the Messiah at a time when crucifixion was not known to exist: "They have pierced my hands and my feet, they have numbered all my bones" (22:16-17). The Psalm continues: "they divide my garments among them, and for my vesture they cast lots" (22:18).

There can not be a more dreadful moment in the history of man as this moment. Jesus who came to save us is crucified, and He realizes the horror of what is happening and what He now is enduring. He is about to be engulfed in the raging sea of sin. Evil triumphs, as Jesus admits: "But this is your hour" (Luke 22:53). But it is only for a moment. The burden of all the sins of humanity for a moment overwhelm the humanity of our Savior.

But does this not have to happen? Does this not have to occur if Jesus is to save us? It is in defeat of his humanity that the Divine plan of His Father will be completed. It is by His death that we are redeemed. "For there is one God. There is also one mediator between God and the human race, Christ Jesus, himself human, who gave himself as ransom for all" (l Timothy 2:5-6).

THE FIFTH WORD

"I thirst"
    Gospel of John 19:28
    The fifth word of Jesus is His only human expression of His physical suffering. Jesus is now in shock. The wounds inflicted upon him in the scourging, the crowning with thorns, and the nailing upon the cross are now taking their toll, especially after losing blood on the three-hour walk through the city of Jerusalem to Golgotha on the Way of the Cross. Systematic studies of the Shroud of Turin, as reported by Gerald O'Collins in Interpreting Jesus, indicate the passion of Jesus was far worse than one can imagine. The Shroud has been exhaustively studied by every possible scientific maneuver, and the scientific burden of proof is now on those who do not accept the Shroud as the burial cloth of Jesus.

"He himself bore our sins in his body upon the cross,
    so that, free from sin, we might live for righteousness.
    By his wounds you have been healed" (l Peter 2:24).

THE SIXTH WORD

When Jesus had received the wine, he said,
    "It is finished";
    and he bowed his head and handed over the spirit.
    Gospel of John 19:30
    It is now a fait accompli. The sixth word is Jesus' recognition that his suffering is over and his task is completed. Jesus is obedient to the Father and gives his love for mankind by redeeming us with His death on the Cross.

The above painting is meant to capture the moment.
    What is the darkest day of mankind becomes the brightest day for mankind.

When Jesus died, He "handed over" the Spirit.
    Jesus remained in control to the end, and it is He who handed over his Spirit. One should not miss the double entendre here, for this may also be interpreted as His death brought forth the Holy Spirit.

The Gospel of John gradually reveals the Holy Spirit. Jesus mentions living water in John 4:10-11 when he meets the Samaritan woman at the well, and during the Feast of Tabernacles refers to living water as the Holy Spirit in 7:37-39. At the Last Supper , Christ announces he would ask the Father to send "another Advocate to be with you always, the Spirit of truth" (14:16-17). The word Advocate is also translated as Comforter, Helper, Paraclete, or Counselor. "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you" (14:26). The symbolism of water for the Holy Spirit becomes more evident in John 19:34: "But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and immediately there came out blood and water." The piercing of his side fulfills the prophecy in Zechariah 12:10: "They will look on me whom they have pierced." The piercing of Jesus' side prefigures the Sacraments of Eucharist (blood) and Baptism (water), as well as the beginning of the Church .

THE SEVENTH WORD

Jesus cried out in a loud voice,
    "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit":
    Gospel of Luke 23:46
    The seventh word of Jesus is from the Gospel of Luke, and is directed to the Father in heaven, just before He dies. Jesus recalls Psalm 31:5 - "Into thy hands I commend my spirit; thou hast redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God." Luke repeatedly pleads Jesus' innocence: with Pilate (Luke 23:4, 14-15, 22), through Dismas (by legend), the criminal (Luke 23:41), and immediately after His death with the centurion" "Now when the centurion saw what had taken place, he praised God and said, "Certainly this man was innocent" (Luke 23:47).

John's Gospel related that it was the Day of Preparation, the day before the actual Passover (Pesach in Hebrew, Pascha in Greek and Latin), that Jesus was sentenced to death (19:14) and sacrificed on the Cross (19:31). He died at the ninth hour (three o'clock in the afternoon), about the same time as the Passover lambs were slaughtered in the Temple. Christ became the Paschal or Passover Lamb, as noted by St. Paul: "For Christ our Passover lamb has been sacrificed" (1 Corinthians 5:7). The innocent Lamb was slain for our sins, so that we might be forgiven.

Jesus fulfilled His mission: "They are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as an expiation by his blood, to be received by faith" (Romans 3:24-25). The relationship of Jesus to the Father is revealed in the Gospel of John, for He remarked, "The Father and I are one" (10:30), and again, at the Last Supper: "Do you not believe I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works" (14:10). And He can return: "I came from the Father and have come into the world; again, I am leaving the world and going to the Father" (16:28). Jesus practiced what He preached: "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13).

Home
    Mary
    The Bible

REFERENCES

1 The Revised Standard Version of The Holy Bible. Ignatius Press, San Francisco, 2005.
    2 Bishop Fulton J Sheen. The Seven Last Words - The Message from the Cross. Garden City Books, Garden City, New York, 1952.
    3 Pope John Paul II. The Redeemer of Man - the encyclical Redemptor Hominis, Pauline Books and Media, Boston, March 4, 1979.
    4 Ignace De La Potterie. The Hour of Jesus - The Passion and the Resurrection of Jesus. Alba House, Staten Island, New York, 1989.
    5 St. Thomas Aquinas. Summa Theologica, Third Part, On the Passion of Christ. Translation by the Fathers of the English Dominican Province, 1920. Reprinted by Christian Classics of Allen, Texas, 1981.
    6 St. Alphonsus Liguori. The Way of the Holy Cross. Mother of Our Savior Publishing, Pekin, Indiana, 2007.
    7 O'Collins, Gerald. Interpreting Jesus. Geoffrey Chapman, London, and Paulist Press, Mahwah, New Jersey, 1983.
  • JessDeCristo 2012/09/23 01:23:41
    It Is Finished
    JessDeCristo
    +1
    Just before he stated ; " FATHER, IN YOUR HANDS I COMMIT MY SPIRIT ", then his last words were ; ' IT IS FINSHED "
  • Nam Era... JessDeC... 2012/09/23 02:43:18
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    Luke 23:46
    Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last.
  • JessDeC... Nam Era... 2012/09/23 08:02:11 (edited)
    JessDeCristo
    Jesus Christ made seven final statements during his last hours on the cross. These phrases are held dear by followers of Christ because they offer a glimpse into the depth of his suffering to accomplish redemption. Recorded in the Gospels between the time of his crucifixion and his death, they reveal his divinity as well as his humanity. As much as possible, given the approximate sequence of events as portrayed in the Gospels, these seven last words of Jesus are presented here in chronological order.
    1) Jesus Speaks to the Father
    Luke 23:34
    Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."
    In the midst of his excruciating suffering, the heart of Jesus was focused on others rather than himself. Here we see the nature of his love—unconditional and divine.

2) Jesus Speaks to the Criminal on the Cross
    Luke 23:43
    "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."
    One of the criminals who was crucified with Christ, had recognized who Jesus was and expressed faith in him as Savior. Here we see grace poured out through faith, as Jesus assured the dying man of his forgiveness and eternal salvation.

3) Jesus Speaks to Mary and John
    John 19:26-27
    When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to ...

1) Jesus Speaks to the Father
    Luke 23:34

Luke 23:43

3) Jesus Speaks to Mary and John
    John 19:26-27
    When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother."
    Jesus, looking down from the cross, was still filled with the concerns of a son for the earthly needs of his mother. None of his brothers were there to care for her, so he gave this task to the Apostle John. Here we clearly see Christ's humanity.

4) Jesus Cries Out to the Father
    Matthew 27:46 (also Mark 15:34)
    And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” that is, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” (NKJV)
    In the darkest hours of his suffering, Jesus cried out the opening words of Psalm 22. And although much has been suggested regarding the meaning of this phrase, it was quite apparent the agony Christ felt as he expressed separation from God. Here we see the Father turning way from the Son as Jesus bore the full weight of our sin.

5) Jesus is Thirsty
    John 19:28
    Jesus knew that everything was now finished, and to fulfill the Scriptures he said, "I am thirsty."
    Jesus refused the initial drink of vinegar, gall and myrrh (Matthew 27:34 and Mark 15:23) offered to alleviate his suffering. But here, several hours later, we see Jesus fulfilling the messianic prophecy found in Psalm 69:21.

6) It is Finished
    John 19:30
    ... he said, "It is finished!"
    Jesus knew he was suffering the crucifixion for a purpose. Earlier he had said in John 10:18 of his life, "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father." (NIV) These three words were packed with meaning, for what was finished here was not only Christ's earthly life, not only his suffering and dying, not only the payment for sin and the redemption of the world—but the very reason and purpose he came to earth was finished. His final act of obedience was complete. The Scriptures had been fulfilled.

7) Jesus' Last Words
    Luke 23:46
    Here Jesus closes with the words of Psalm 31:5, speaking to the Father. We see his complete trust in the Father. Jesus entered death in the same way he lived each day of his life, offering up his life as the perfect sacrifice and placing himself in God's hands.

And we were saved. His return is very   very near
  • Nam Era... JessDeC... 2012/09/23 11:00:53
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    http://christianity.about.com...
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/...
    http://www.jesuschristsavior....

THE FIRST WORD

Gospel of Luke 23:34

Right up to his final hours on earth, Jesus preaches forgiveness. He teaches forgiveness in the Lord's prayer: "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us" (Matthew 6:12). When asked by Peter, how many times s...

http://christianity.about.com...
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/...
    http://www.jesuschristsavior....

THE FIRST WORD

Gospel of Luke 23:34

THE SECOND WORD

Gospel of Luke 23:43

THE THIRD WORD

Gospel of John 19:26-27

THE FOURTH WORD

Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34

THE FIFTH WORD

"I thirst"
    Gospel of John 19:28

THE SIXTH WORD

"It is finished";
    Gospel of John 19:30

THE SEVENTH WORD

Jesus cried out in a loud voice,
    Gospel of Luke 23:46

Home
    Mary
    The Bible

REFERENCES

• JessDeC... Nam Era... 2012/09/23 16:59:40 (edited)
    JessDeCristo
    +1
    Jesus was not a boring diciplinary , ruleaphobic, Bible pumping dictator kinda person when he walked this earth, in my opinion, he probably was like my favorite preacher, Jesse Duplantis from New Orleans, because he wanted to attrack people to him, not scare them off. When he was brougth before the roman governor, the 3 charges were; 1;- He associated with sinners, 2;- He worked on the sabbath, 3;- He claimed to be the son of God. None of these medit crucifiction, the romans wanted no part of it. Another prove that Jesus was not a boring person, what was his 1st miracle ?.......His 1st known miracle was changing water into wine , heeeeyyy , he was at a wedding party, and having a good time with the band . Now, what were his last words after he resurrected and before ascending into heaven ? I just love this picture, and I do it nOT poking fun of him, but having fun with him, for ; BE OF GOOD CHEER " , is in the Bible 365 times, heeeeeyyy! His my main man  my brodar   he will never leaveme
  • Nam Era... JessDeC... 2012/09/23 18:34:03
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    Yes I agree. And your point was in reference to what?
  • JessDeC... Nam Era... 2012/09/24 01:51:31
    JessDeCristo
    +1
    I'm so glad and relieved you agree , but , It wasn't in reference to anything, I believe I'm entitled to make a comment IF I FEEL LIKE IT , COMPRENDE ? You must be catholic.
  • Nam Era... JessDeC... 2012/09/24 02:25:29
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    Never been Catholic. I have visited because my grandkids went there cuz their used to be abusive dad (who my daughter got rid of thank God) went there
  • JessDeC... Nam Era... 2012/09/24 03:17:20
    JessDeCristo
    +1
    Glad to hear you worked out one problem , also that you're not catholic. My wife's one, I won't hold that vs. her, Ihave the rest of my life to make her change her mind.
  • Nam Era... JessDeC... 2012/09/24 03:30:36
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    My wife is Cherokee (I am about three quarters) and she has been a follower of Jesus for a long time. I came back to Jesus (I was following Native American spirituality) when I was dying and Jesus came to me in a vision so I followed Him. Then Jesus miraculously healed me. Ever since then Jesus has just been in my spirit and keeps me straight. But I sure do kick against the goads (as Jesus told Paul that Paul was doing when Paul tried to not do what Jesus wanted) LOL
  • JessDeC... Nam Era... 2012/09/24 03:41:55
  • Nam Era... JessDeC... 2012/09/24 03:45:22
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    You are right. I also am a guitarist, singer, songwriter
    guitarist singer songwriter
  • JessDeC... Nam Era... 2012/09/24 03:55:31
    JessDeCristo
    +1
    Heeeyyy! that is soooo cooll!
  • Nam Era... JessDeC... 2012/09/24 04:06:45
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    See ya later Bro
  • JessDeC... Nam Era... 2012/09/24 04:25:20
    JessDeCristo
    +1
    Pleasent drams bro, I'm turning in myself too.
  • MoonTroll 2012/09/22 02:17:56
    MoonTroll
    +1
    No idea. I didn't read that book.
  • Nam Era... MoonTroll 2012/09/22 02:20:56
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    Luke 23:46
  • MoonTroll Nam Era... 2012/09/22 02:26:07
    MoonTroll
    +1
    Hmm...sounds boring... Should have said..."The cure for every sickness is..." That would have been funny. XD
  • Nam Era... MoonTroll 2012/09/22 02:29:35
  • rand 2012/09/22 02:05:38
    rand
    +1
    There's no legitimate, provable way of knowing.
  • Nam Era... rand 2012/09/22 02:10:15
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    Eyewitness reports that were handed down.
    Luke 23:46
  • rand Nam Era... 2012/09/22 02:13:11
    rand
    +1
    Show me the tape. Second-hand hearsay hardly qualifies as provable eyewitness reports. As a Christian, I need not abandon my faith in reason, and clearly it's possible if not likely that you're correct.
  • Nam Era... rand 2012/09/22 02:19:58
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    Rand all we have in most of history is eyewitness accounts that were mostly recorded years later.
    Show me the tape? 2000 years ago? Then every historian and writer before tapes was lies? I hope not. And eyewitness accounts of a murder would not stand up in court? I hope not.
  • rand Nam Era... 2012/09/22 14:48:20
    rand
    +1
    Regarding: " Then every historian and writer before tapes was lies? I hope not. And eyewitness accounts of a murder would not stand up in court? I hope not."

These are hyperbolic and distorted assumptions. SOME accounts from historians and writers have been proved to have been lies. SOME biblical historians argue that the proof that Jesus even existed is tenuous. I don't agree with them, but I understand how difficult it is to "prove" historical claims. As for "eye witnessing", I've seen accounts of a woman whose testimony had a man incarcerated for over a decade though his mother offered his alibi. When DNA proved him innocent, the woman was astonished; she had been certain beyond all doubt. Many have been imprisoned and/or gassed due to the lack of veracity in eyewitness accounts.
  • Nam Era... rand 2012/09/22 15:50:43
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    Just because you give some testimony that was wrong does not mean that all testimony was wrong. To me your assumptions are the ones distorted and very cynical. So we disagree. That's okay. It will never solve anything to carry this on because our minds are made up.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/09/22 01:56:23
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    Thank You Lord!!
  • Nam Era... ☆stillt... 2012/09/22 02:11:16
  • Lefty 2012/09/22 01:41:10
    Lefty
    +2
    Forgive them Father, for they know not what the do.
  • Nam Era... Lefty 2012/09/22 02:10:30 (edited)
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    Luke 23:46
  • Lefty Nam Era... 2012/09/22 17:46:42 (edited)
    Lefty
    +1
    Was just taking a shot at it.
  • Nam Era... Lefty 2012/09/22 18:41:38
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    Thanks lefty. take care.
    +2
    Luke 23:46
  • Nam Era... sjalan 2012/09/22 01:37:41
  • Scott 2012/09/22 01:23:44
    Scott
    +3
    Oy! I can't remember if I turned off the iron.

2014/11/23 20:15:38