What should be done with the teacher that treated an Autistic student in this way?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/04/25 14:12:08

Stuarf Chaifetz

"Who are you talking to, nobody?" Kelly asked Akian, who sometimes talks to himself. "Knock it off," Jodi chimed in.

According to the video, Akian became upset, and starting crying.

"Go ahead and scream because guess what? You're going to get nothing until your mouth is shut," the classroom official is heard saying. "Shut your mouth."

Does this sound like the type of talk that a teacher should be having with a child with special needs? In Fact the child that those two teachers are talking to is Autistic. He has an IEP and requires a special class. Those teachers teach a class with Autistic children and Children with other special needs.
Aikan Chaifetz

If you listen to the audio, it gets worse. Much worse. at one point one of the women can be heard calling Aikan a "bastard" The other teacher talks about being drunk and vomiting. They discuss private conversations with the parents in front of the children, and are intentionally cruel to him. What makes this even more disturbing, is this isn't an isolated incident.

More and more frequently we are hearing about this in the news. Teachers of children with special needs being abusive.

This was the case for parents of a special needs student at Miami Trace Middle School in Ohio, who sent their daughter to school with a hidden tape recorder last fall after the girl repeatedly complained about the bullying.

The revelation was shocking: the educators on the recording called the child lazy and dumb, and forced her to run on a treadmill with increasing speed.

"Don't you want to do something about that belly," former teaching aide Kelley Chaffins says in the recording. "Well, evidently you don't because you don't do anything at home. You sit at home and watch TV."

These stories make me wonder, just how often are kids with special needs abused? Because of their disability they are unable to speak out sometimes. Their behavior gets blamed on their disability. Often perhaps, it is never even investigated, and these kids who already face terrific challenges have no voice in the face of torment. It makes me sad to think that stuff like this happens and is allowed to continue. What kind of education system would allow something like this to go on.

Mr. Chaifetz, is outraged, and rightly so that the teacher was NOT FIRED. He says he is not looking for money or planning a suit, he just wants that teacher gone and for her to apologize to his son.
“She betrayed my son and caused him great pain. If some union rule or HR regulation has allowed her to keep her job, then the law needs to be changed so that the next time a teacher bullies a child, especially one with special needs, they will be immediately fired. For me to do nothing would mean I was treating my son with as much disrespect as they had."

What do you think: Should teachers caught acting this way to children be fired?

Read More: http://www.theverbalassassin.net/2012/04/25/father...

• Sheila the_old... 2012/04/25 17:46:14
    Sheila
    +3
    Coach my sister is a teacher. I put the quotes because SHE/THEY are no teachers. They are paid bullies and deserve to be fired. GOOD teachers (you, my sister hundreds of thousands of other GOOD teachers) DO NOT accept or condone this type of action.
  • the_old... Sheila 2012/04/25 20:53:53
    the_old_coach
    +2
    Thanks, Sheila!

roses
  • Little Tina 2012/04/25 16:48:12
    She should be fired.
    Little Tina
    +7
    She obviously needs a different profession. Teachers should love children. This one doesn't.
  • Shadow13 2012/04/25 16:38:32
    She should be fired.
    Shadow13
    +5
    In order to perform an occupation one must demonstrate that they can, in fact, meet the necessary skills to accomplish it. Being a teacher requires a compassionate, and nurturing personality as well as the education necessary.
    It is obvious that these people lack the fundamental qualities that define a teacher and obviously should not be allowed to be around children in any capacity or work in education at all.
  • Feria~THEZombieSlayingB!tch... 2012/04/25 16:34:31
    She should be fired.
    Feria~THEZombieSlayingB!tch of PHAET!~Badass Incarnate~
    +4
    That no way to treat any child, much less an Autistic one. My school system sucks, but the teacher would have been fired and would have trouble ever find a job with children. If someone treated your children that way, you wouldn't stand for it.
  • Assassi... Feria~T... 2012/04/25 16:52:20
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +3
    No I would not. I think this is just awful.
  • Feria~T... Assassi... 2012/04/25 16:55:42
    +3
    Me too. I can not stand people who are senselessly mean.
  • Assassi... Feria~T... 2012/04/25 20:56:14
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    neither can I.
  • Ashley 2012/04/25 15:40:37
    I think:
    Ashley
    +3
    she needs sensitivity training
  • Assassi... Ashley 2012/04/25 16:52:38
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +4
    I think she needs to get out of the teaching business.
  • Sheila Ashley 2012/04/25 17:06:35
    Sheila
    +3
    How do you teach empathy? She lacks a fundamental part of personality NEEDED to work with ANY children let alone special needs children.
  • hasher Ashley 2012/04/27 11:10:57
    hasher
    she should have already have that if she was going to be a special ed teacher.
  • tweet_tweet 2012/04/25 15:20:21 (edited)
    I think:
    tweet_tweet
    +4
    She needs training on special needs people before she steps foot in public. She should have her teaching license revoked.
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/04/25 15:15:25
    She should be fired.
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +7
    This story makes me sick.
  • Assassi... tommyg ... 2012/04/25 16:53:58
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +3
    Me too.
  • Flowers 2012/04/25 15:11:38
    She should be fired.
    Flowers
    +7
    And criminally charged
  • Assassi... Flowers 2012/04/25 16:54:07
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +4
    AGREE!
  • Flowers Assassi... 2012/04/25 18:40:41
    Flowers
    +1
    I wonder if any of the other teachers in that school knew about how they acted. They OBVIOUSLY had no concern with getting caught, I know walking thru the halls of my childs school I can hear teachers in the hallway
  • Assassi... Flowers 2012/04/25 20:59:11
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +3
    I know . So often kids with special needs have communication problems and these jerks take advantage of that.
  • Flowers Assassi... 2012/04/25 21:09:41
    Flowers
    +2
    And then people make excuses for the behavior. It pisses me off
  • Assassi... Flowers 2012/04/26 14:26:39
  • MJ 2012/04/25 15:11:32
    She should be fired.
    MJ
    +4
    Fired! what a meanie!
  • Hank 2012/04/25 15:01:39
    I think:
    Hank
    +4
    Clearly this is a case where corporal punishment is in order at the school. This teacher should be subjected to corporal punishment right before they fire them ! What a dirt bag !
  • Tinka123 2012/04/25 14:55:46 (edited)
    I think:
    Tinka123
    +4
    Fired? This is clearly child abuse. They should be criminally charged and stripped of their ability to "teach" all together.
  • Assassi... Tinka123 2012/04/25 16:54:26
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    I agree.
  • Tinka123 Assassi... 2012/04/25 18:10:27
    Tinka123
    +2
    Honestly, this Dad is by far a bigger person than I. I don't know that I could accept that.
  • Assassi... Tinka123 2012/04/25 20:59:52
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    He hasn't. He has started a petition to get her fired. He says she should never teach agains and should apologize to Aikan.
  • Tinka123 Assassi... 2012/04/25 21:49:13 (edited)
    Tinka123
    +2
    I hope it's effective for him. This is pretty appalling.
  • Assassi... Tinka123 2012/04/26 14:30:47
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +2
    It is. He was on Diane Sawyer last night. I think it is a good thing to shed light on this kind of evil.
  • Tinka123 Assassi... 2012/04/26 17:03:37 (edited)
    Tinka123
    +1
    Absolutely. What's ironic... today I was informed that my son's teacher had been reprimanded for taking the students on a "nature walk" by the trees at the back of the school. The parents were aware that she took them over there, twice, while they studied the seasons. It wasn't like she put them in her car and drove them to McDonalds or anything. lol

But apparently that area of trees was not "technically" on school grounds and because she failed to have all the parents sign waivers for it, she got in trouble with the school. Mind you, even though she didn't know it wasn't school property, she accepted full responsibility and none of the parents were angry or anything.

Just made me think, these two situations are the perfect examples of everything that is wrong with our schools. My son's teacher is probably the most dedicated to her students of any teacher I've ever known. She is really an exceptional teacher, goes above and beyond to make school interesting / fun for them yet she gets in trouble while teachers like this are even allowed to teach children. I just can't imagine how frustrating that is for the teachers that do love their students and what they do.
  • GINGERBREAD 2012/04/25 14:50:19
    She should be fired.
    GINGERBREAD
    +3
    I remember when someones daughter told her dad that her teacher was trying to get a cheap feel. The dad went to school and punched the teacher out. It should happen again here.
  • Sheila GINGERB... 2012/04/25 17:07:52
    Sheila
    +1
    I disagree for one reason. He should NOT be able to FIND her at the school. He should have to wait outside the courthouse.
  • GINGERB... Sheila 2012/04/26 15:09:50
    GINGERBREAD
    +1
    Trying to prove that any one got a "CHEAP FEEL", especially a teacher, is almost impossible. Blowsing his eyes or fattening his lip makes a stronger impression. I don't think the father was out for money, he was out for telling every teacher that if you touch my daughter, this will happen to you. He was putting the fear of god on every teacher.
  • Sheila GINGERB... 2012/04/26 15:49:44
    Sheila
    And should, as a dad that is his JOB!!! To PROTECT his kids!!

The cheap feel thing doesn't happen here, in fact the opposite is true here. My daughter got her feelings hurt in Kindergarden because the last day of school she went to hug her teacher and the teacher jumped back like she had cooties. They can not TOUCH the kids at all.
  • GINGERB... Sheila 2012/04/26 15:53:42
    GINGERBREAD
    +1
    Now what would you expect from liberal, socialist and communist? You are going to get very stupid rules and regulations, that what you'll get. Also, you have to watch out for these TRIAL LAWYERS wanting to make a "BUCK"

2014/09/03 05:05:17