What should be done with the teacher that treated an Autistic student in this way?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/04/25 14:12:08

Stuarf Chaifetz

"Who are you talking to, nobody?" Kelly asked Akian, who sometimes talks to himself. "Knock it off," Jodi chimed in.

According to the video, Akian became upset, and starting crying.

"Go ahead and scream because guess what? You're going to get nothing until your mouth is shut," the classroom official is heard saying. "Shut your mouth."

Does this sound like the type of talk that a teacher should be having with a child with special needs? In Fact the child that those two teachers are talking to is Autistic. He has an IEP and requires a special class. Those teachers teach a class with Autistic children and Children with other special needs.
Aikan Chaifetz

If you listen to the audio, it gets worse. Much worse. at one point one of the women can be heard calling Aikan a "bastard" The other teacher talks about being drunk and vomiting. They discuss private conversations with the parents in front of the children, and are intentionally cruel to him. What makes this even more disturbing, is this isn't an isolated incident.

More and more frequently we are hearing about this in the news. Teachers of children with special needs being abusive.

This was the case for parents of a special needs student at Miami Trace Middle School in Ohio, who sent their daughter to school with a hidden tape recorder last fall after the girl repeatedly complained about the bullying.

The revelation was shocking: the educators on the recording called the child lazy and dumb, and forced her to run on a treadmill with increasing speed.

"Don't you want to do something about that belly," former teaching aide Kelley Chaffins says in the recording. "Well, evidently you don't because you don't do anything at home. You sit at home and watch TV."

These stories make me wonder, just how often are kids with special needs abused? Because of their disability they are unable to speak out sometimes. Their behavior gets blamed on their disability. Often perhaps, it is never even investigated, and these kids who already face terrific challenges have no voice in the face of torment. It makes me sad to think that stuff like this happens and is allowed to continue. What kind of education system would allow something like this to go on.

Mr. Chaifetz, is outraged, and rightly so that the teacher was NOT FIRED. He says he is not looking for money or planning a suit, he just wants that teacher gone and for her to apologize to his son.
“She betrayed my son and caused him great pain. If some union rule or HR regulation has allowed her to keep her job, then the law needs to be changed so that the next time a teacher bullies a child, especially one with special needs, they will be immediately fired. For me to do nothing would mean I was treating my son with as much disrespect as they had."

What do you think: Should teachers caught acting this way to children be fired?

Read More: http://www.theverbalassassin.net/2012/04/25/father...

• Alexander T Steward 2012/09/02 17:42:53
  • The Aging Yankee Liberal Do... 2012/04/29 23:16:07
    She should be fired.
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    this is absolutely horrible and makes myself ashamed of the fact that im part of the human race sometimes. you don't make fun of a kid or bully someone with special needs like that... and the fact that a teacher did is disgusting. this woman should be fired in a heartbeat that's just an awful thing to do. and the fact that they got "tenure" give me a break. this means a teacher can kill a kid and won't get fired? this is an absolute joke and as a democrat, I'm starting to support Chris Christie more if he's going to put an end to the jokes the teachers have become.
    She should be fired.
    +1
    And if there's any potential of filing charges .. that charge(s) should be filed as well ..
    SICKENING ...
  • hasher 2012/04/27 11:02:19
    She should be fired.
    hasher
    i have had a son who went to special ed classes since kindergarten. hes 20 now and is completing his education at a transistion center. fortunely all his teachers were wonderful and i cant say enough wonderful things about them. he received a quality education. lots of one onone attention. but this is awful. how could a teacher trained in special ed treat a child this way?? if i were the parent i would make sure this teacher got fired.
  • fluer 2012/04/27 02:57:56
    She should be fired.
    fluer
    +2
    Really easy to answer her behavior is totally unacceptable and should not be tolerated. By the way I am a teacher in Special Education too and while I know these kiddos can push your buttons if you are so burned out that you would do these things you have no place in the classroom.
  • hasher fluer 2012/04/27 11:17:07
    hasher
    +2
    bless you for what you do. i have the upmost respect for special ed teachers. my son was in special ed his whole life and received a wonderful education. he would have never gotten through school in a regular classroom situation.
  • fluer hasher 2012/04/27 12:27:59
    fluer
    +1
    I love what I do and it makes me so angry when a teacher acts this way! She needs to be tarred and feathered and run out of town if my honest opinion came true, but of course in this day and age they get a slap on the hand. Our kiddos need the patience of Job and a heart that celebrates the baby steps and encourages our kiddos to believe they can do it. This woman is the opposite of that and needs to be booted out of the profession. How is your son doing now? I certainly hope he has grown into the man he is capable of being.
  • retiredingeorgia 2012/04/27 02:48:51
    She should be fired.
    retiredingeorgia
    +2
    Throw her out with the rest of the trash.
    woman in garbage can
  • Mike 2012/04/27 02:07:08 (edited)
    She should be fired.
  • shadow76 2012/04/27 00:20:40
    She should be fired.
    shadow76
    +4
    Fired and barred from teaching ever again.
  • RastaFan 2012/04/26 23:44:44
    I think:
    RastaFan
    +4
    When did teachers become an untouchable class, in this country?

Teachers have become little more than front line agitators for liberal social policy. Lord knows the quality of their product has done nothing but steadily decline for fifty years. They've developed an unholy alliance with Liberal poiticians. The politicians protect the unions and the teachers indoctrinate the kids with Marxist garbage and shuffle $$$ to the candidates who fight for pro-union policy ..... especially excessive salaries, pensions and unwarranted tenure.

To hell with Marxist teachers unions.

The rise of power within teacher's unions is commensurate with the financial influence they exert on Liberal politicians.
  • The Agi... RastaFan 2012/04/29 23:55:00
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    this is sickening all together. whether you have tenure or your in a union or not this is so wrong and horrible. they're smart enough to know better. people like this shouldn't have a job anywhere near kids let alone teaching them. and talking about puking and getting drunk, cursing out the parents and kids and intentionally hurting their feelings they should be put in jail as well.
  • relic 2012/04/26 22:56:26 (edited)
    I think:
    relic
    +3
    If a teacher can't be fired for molesting children, why would you think they can be fired for bullying? T-E-N-U-R-E.
  • hasher relic 2012/04/27 11:14:31
    hasher
    +2
    i cant believe how the union protects the a##sholes of people who dont even deserve to be called teachers. wrong is wrong. union or not. it i were the parent i would take it as far as i can in the meantime working on changing classes for my child. or schools or whatever it takes. there are alternatives charter schools and what not. many are free like public schools. my son went to one to complete his education.
  • relic hasher 2012/04/27 14:14:03
    relic
    +1
    San Diego has lots of Charter Schools that are brimming with bright students. The latest tactic from the teacher unions in their effort to close them has been trumpeting in the press how bad the graduating students are. Not true of course, but the media still runs with it.
  • bob'45 2012/04/26 22:30:50
    She should be fired.
    bob'45
    +4
    Fired, and barred from ever teaching again anywhere.
  • CHUCK 2012/04/26 22:27:34
    I think:
    CHUCK
    +5
    FIRE HER..
    THE PARENT SHOULD CONTACT T.A.S.K.
  • hasher CHUCK 2012/04/27 11:11:31
    hasher
    +2
    what is TASK???
  • CHUCK hasher 2012/04/27 23:55:47
    CHUCK
    +1
    IN CAL IT IS TEAM ADVOCATE 4 SPECIAL KIDS..

Photobucket
  • 2468 2012/04/26 21:51:41
    She should be fired.
    2468
    +2
    I know I wouldn't have the patience needed to deal with special needs children but whoever is actually doing this job would need the patience and support to do a good job.

It may be a good idea that these classes have two or more adults in the room at all times to keep the children and each other in check.
  • hasher 2468 2012/04/27 11:06:31
    hasher
    +2
    most special ed classes do. at least the ones my son went to. there was the teacher and an assistant. they were absolutely wonderful. my son never encountered any type of abuse of this sort.
    She should be fired.
    +4
    Such an adult should never be let inside a school.

I can tell you exactly what happened. When she grew up, she knew her share of "special needs kids" who were "SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEEEEEIRD!"

Nobody. Ever. Taught her how to figure out what the weirdness might be about.

Even when she went to her teachers' ed program, no one taught her about autistic kids and how to deal with them. To her, those kids were "SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIRD!"

So she gets into the classroom, and confronts one of those "SOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIRD!" kids.

So naturally she lets fly with all the things she used to say when she was a kid.

But if you think that's bad: how about the teacher in Tampa, FL, who held a PEER VOTE on an autistic boy and, when the pupils VOTED HIM OUT OF CLASS, actually ENFORCED THE RESULTS of that vote? Since when does a practical lesson in the less savory aspect of ancient Athenian democracy become part of the curriculum?
  • alanh 2012/04/26 14:21:42
    She should be fired.
    alanh
    +7
    She should never teach again!!!!!
  • Seonag 2012/04/26 12:34:38
    She should be fired.
    Seonag
    +3
    The teacher's aide was fired and the teacher moved to another school because of 'tenure' and the Union contract. Ask NYC how many teachers sit out the school day with no classes but paychecks because the Union and tenure does not allow them to be fired.
  • fluer Seonag 2012/04/27 11:00:25
    fluer
    +2
    I can guarantee you it is not that way in Texas. We can be fired for any legitimate reason and a violation of the protocols of ethical behavior is a big one. I think she is burned out and should go into another profession away from children, especially Special Needs children.
  • ☂~WaterBabŸ~☂ 2012/04/26 11:45:46
    She should be fired.
    ☂~WaterBabŸ~☂
    +7
    Fired & charged!!!...

Teacher/teachers aide & ANYONE involved (staff onlooking)!!!...These people are entrusted to care for special needs children & have undertaken job specific training!!!...If they cannot handle the behaviour of these children,then it's time to look for alternative employment!!!....

I don't give a flying %u$k what excuse they have!!!...It is WRONG & punishable!!!

arrested  woman
  • Heptarch 2012/04/25 17:46:42
    I think:
    Heptarch
    +5
    I can understand how someone could lose patience with an autistic child. But that person should not be teaching them.
  • Flowers Heptarch 2012/04/25 18:41:21
    Flowers
    +2
    how is talking about throwing up because she drank too much wine "losing patience"?
  • Heptarch Flowers 2012/04/25 18:42:56
    Heptarch
    +1
    It's not. How is choosing the one thing she said/did that doesn't fit and ignoring the others addressing my point?
  • Flowers Heptarch 2012/04/25 18:56:19
    Flowers
    +2
    What point is that exactly?? you said "I can understand how someone could lose patience with an autistic child. But that person should not be teaching them." And I simply asked how a person talking about drinking for an extended amount of time before the bell rang, and while in the middle of a sentence addressing the class, showed a loss of patience.
  • Heptarch Flowers 2012/04/25 18:58:27
    Heptarch
    +1
    I was talking about how the teacher was dealing with the child, not any inappropriate remarks she made outside of that.
  • Flowers Heptarch 2012/04/25 19:00:44
    Flowers
    +1
    sigh.... so you chose one thing she said/did that was inappropriate and ignored the other remarks? interesting
  • Heptarch Flowers 2012/04/25 19:34:57
    Heptarch
    +1
    The whole story is pretty much about how she abused an autistic child, not about one inappropriate comment that had nothing to do with the child. Why are you getting in my face for actually addressing what the question was about?
  • the_old_coach 2012/04/25 17:21:07
    She should be fired.
    the_old_coach
    +5
    Without even listening to her explanation. Reassignment? Really? THAT'S LAME!

PS: I'm a teacher.
  • Tink123 the_old... 2012/04/25 18:07:34
    Tink123
    +4
    This is, among other incidents similar to it, it's what gives both unions and teachers a bad rap. If I was this child's parent, I honestly don't think I'd be able to contain myself and remain composed the way this man has. I just can't imagine people like that being tasked with the care of children, much less being given a second chance. Not to mention, there are many exceptional teachers who get lumped in with @$$hats like that. This is just unbelievable.
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/04/25 17:04:47
    She should be fired.
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +7
    No excuse for that EVER with any child, much less an autistic one.

A union that protects "teachers" who behave that way needs to be busted.

What the HELL is wrong with people??!!
  • 2468 jubil8 ... 2012/04/26 21:55:06
    2468
    +1
    I am pro union but I also feel there are limits to the protection one should expect from a union. To me unions are to make sure that injustices don't happen. If the union is protecting someone that is behaving so poorly than some adjustment should be made.

Also, it would be useful to have the other side of the story but I don't think it would sway me though.
  • jubil8 ... 2468 2012/04/27 04:36:50
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +2
    I suppose there IS another side to the story, but I agree with you -- I don't think it's possible that it would be a very GOOD one.

And the fact that ANY organization would protect a person who behaves that way is wrong. I don't care whether it's a union or the Catholic Church or docs protecting a butcher from a malpractice claim.
  • Sheila 2012/04/25 17:03:30
    She should be fired.
    Sheila
    +6
    Fired AND blackballed right out of her "profession". Possibly charged with cruelty to a juvenile.
  • the_old... Sheila 2012/04/25 17:22:58
    the_old_coach
    +1
    Sheila, come on, now...please don't wreck every teacher by placing quotes around "profession."

2014/10/26 04:35:17