What Makes You Happier, Money or Respect?

Related Topics: Respect, Money, Lifestyle
Was it Lil' Kim who rapped the lyrics "Money power respect... It's the key to life"? Turns out, she was only partly right. New research suggests happiness has a lot more to do with respect than it does with money, Medical News Today reports.

In a series of studies, psychological scientist Cameron Anderson of the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley, found that:

1) Respect and admiration, but not socioeconomic status, predicted students' social well-being. 2) The relationship between respect/admiration and well-being was partly due to the sense of power and social acceptance that the students felt in their personal relationships. And 3) Changes in respect/admiration corresponded to changes in MBA students' well-being. And respect/admiration predicted well-being more strongly than socioeconomic status.

"I was surprised at how fluid these effects were -- if someone's [social] standing in their local ladder went up or down, so did their happiness, even over the course of 9 months," said Anderson. What makes you happier: money or respect?

• jackie 2012/06/22 23:25:40 (edited)
    Money
    jackie
    +16
    Im a loner. People always had bad opinions of me and talked about me.

some people like it when you are poor and pathetic like them, but when you get some money they all hate.

thats what stop some people from being successful. because of what other people think.

let them hate. they can

kiss my ass

• Linkums 2012/07/23 03:27:01
    Respect
    Linkums
    I like it when what I do is appreciated and when I'm proud of it myself too.
  • Brosia 2012/07/22 23:43:07
    Money
    Brosia
    Respect doesn't pay for a vacation to Fiji.
  • NUCKLEDRAGGER 2012/07/14 09:16:49
    Respect
    NUCKLEDRAGGER
    I am glad to see most people chose respect over money, for the love of money is the root of all evil.
  • Quazimoto 2012/07/06 14:48:31
    Respect
    Quazimoto
    You can not buy respect or class.
  • Dave 007 2012/07/01 11:45:44
    Money
    Dave 007
    +1
    I could care less what others think. Other people buy that big house or expensive car to impress others. WHY??? I just try and make myself and family happy.
  • Jacob 2012/07/01 08:44:14
    Money
    Jacob
    +1
    I have my wife and kids so I could care less what others think. I need the money so money!
  • Claybern 2012/06/28 01:46:53
    Respect
    Claybern
    +2
    You can always make money, but you cannot always get respect.
  • JasonKaas 2012/06/26 15:03:54
    Money
    JasonKaas
    Money gets you respect unfortunately. Respect gets you no where today, not a job and not security for your family. Money buys you respect. The world has gotten to that place.
  • "OG" 2012/06/26 14:12:52
    Money
    "OG"
    +1
    Show Me the Money !
  • dennisg40 2012/06/26 09:44:57
    Respect
    dennisg40
    +2
    Money is necessary to live on but it cannot buy respect.
  • Kaola 2012/06/26 05:21:34
    Respect
    Kaola
    +2
    Respect is more than having money forexample the QUEEN IS RESPECTED but not because of her money.
  • Red Rage 2012/06/26 04:46:09
    Money
    Red Rage
    Money since I will be filthy rich once they drill on my wife's grandfather's property in the next few years.
  • Hannie 2012/06/26 04:41:09
  • nicesteve 2012/06/26 03:34:06
    Money
    nicesteve
    Right now, given the bad financial shape that I'm in, definenately money. However,
    don't think for one minute that I don't set any store with respect. We can't discount the
    importance of respect and dignity simply for the sake of money.
  • dairyshark 2012/06/26 02:01:31
    Respect
    dairyshark
    +2
    Anyone who is motivated by money more than respect has serious priority issues. You can always make more money, but if you sacrifice your dignity to get there what do you have?
  • Sydney.... dairyshark 2012/06/28 18:22:14
    Sydney.nightshade
    Who says anyone has to sacrifice dignity to have lots of money? Where in this question does it imply doing anything along those lines in order to obtain said money?
  • NUCKLED... dairyshark 2012/07/14 09:21:03
    NUCKLEDRAGGER
    What good a man get the whole world but lose his soul.
  • Sydney.nightshade 2012/06/26 01:39:29
    Money
    Sydney.nightshade
    +2
    I don't care for people. Almost all respect is fake in my opinion because all it takes is one disagreeing opinion to make someone lose respect for you. Money can make me never have to worry if I'll be out on the street again, money will let me do what I want and most of all money will buy me enough land to not have a neighbor for miles.
  • Lsbrilliance77 2012/06/26 00:46:22 (edited)
    Respect
    Lsbrilliance77
    First I'd like to comment on the statistics regarding money,
    according to income,
    People with less money Value Respect over money.
    And,
    people with more money Value (a bunch of stuff they can't keep), I mean, more money,
    and little Respect.
    I knew there was a reason I would automatically be more rude to people with more money (I know it's not fair, but it's true), and I treat People with less money
    with More Respect.
    It's because I can automatically sense their need for More Respect.
    and
    I can Obviously tell when someone doesn't care about Life.
    You see'em,
    zippin' around town in their Over priced car's wishing they could own the World.

SNOBS "Think" they own it, because in this realm material things,
    FALSELY APPEAR TO BE SOMETHING OF GREAT IMPORTANCE.

That's just a Curtain, to blind our eyes from the

GREATNESS WE ALL HOLD INSIDE.

That's why I know, More Money, More Problems, NOT just with
    people wanting money from you, or falling crazy over some drug, or
    becoming a witch to others';
    from your SOUL being BLINDED from IT'S ACTUAL PURPOSE.

SO, WE Must be on guard when we have more money,
    so we don't fall into the, "I don't need Anyone, I'm rich" TRAP.
    WE ARE BLESSED WITH MONEY,
    TO BE of a Service and Bless others', not saying necessarily including money;
    I mean BEING a BLESSING for someone, not be...

according to income,
    And,
    and little Respect.
    with More Respect.
    and
    You see'em,

GREATNESS WE ALL HOLD INSIDE.

becoming a witch to others';

WE ARE BLESSED WITH MONEY,
    I mean BEING a BLESSING for someone, not because they are
    cute, hot, rich and all these other (not relevant to the TRUE YOU) part of YOU,
    things.
  • kitkat42 2012/06/26 00:04:51
    Money
    kitkat42
    +2
    Crass, crude money honey! Respect is nice, but it sure doesn't pay the bills or put food on the table. If you're worrying about money you don't really care about how much respect you have. I respect myself, that's enough for the moment.
  • Ally C. 2012/06/25 23:35:52
    Respect
    Ally C.
    +1
    Even though neither of them really allures me... I'm mostly a loner, so respect doesn't make any difference to me and as long as I have money enough to live, then I'm okay
  • Wutnagkillabeeontheswarm 2012/06/25 23:32:34
  • Meljahun 2012/06/25 23:20:45
    Money
    Meljahun
    i'd rather worry about having it than not having it. Money that is. And on the other half if you respect yourself you wont have to care about others respecting you.
  • CaseyWelch 2012/06/25 22:54:44
    Respect
    CaseyWelch
    Money is something you need to live sadly but when someone respects me & who I am it makes be happy & content. :]
  • Tom Camfield 2012/06/25 22:32:11
    Respect
    Tom Camfield
    +1
    You can't buy respect.
  • joseph.davis.9081 2012/06/25 22:19:45
    Respect
    joseph.davis.9081
    Although i love money, money can't buy respect. A lot of people said my family was rich when i was in highschool *although the school was mainly filled with small towners and farmers, and I did live in a bigger house* but none have me respect for that. You have to earn respect, just like you have to earn money.
  • WilliamLClay 2012/06/25 21:57:08
    Money
    WilliamLClay
    +1
    $$$$$$$$ CAN buy happyness,
    hookers, harley"s, guns,knifves, cannons, booze, drugs, an eat at joes crab shack every nite,i can taste the crabs now. my cats an dog wood have fish, steak every nite.
  • Dave 007 William... 2012/07/01 11:47:25
    Dave 007
    Amen!
  • NUCKLED... Dave 007 2012/07/14 09:27:06
    NUCKLEDRAGGER
    Please don't use Amen in such a way, this word means you agree with God.God's word tells us the love of money is the root to all evil.
  • Dave 007 NUCKLED... 2012/08/04 12:41:16
    Dave 007
    Amen
  • joan.sloane 2012/06/25 21:39:52
    Money
    joan.sloane
    +2
    Get real; money breeds respect. Have you noticed how you are treated in Neman Marcus vs. a Walmart where they check your receipts and packages on your way out of the store? Have you ever been in a high end car dealership’s service center vs. the one at your local Chevy dealers? What’s more, the fickle opinions that others have of you will never put food on your table, pay for bills or, care for you in your old age.

I am not among the rich or highly respected but I would have no trouble making a choice between the two.
  • kiki 2012/06/25 21:28:01
    Money
    kiki
    +1
    i love spending money and making my self happy
  • Boo 2012/06/25 21:03:29
    Money
    Boo
    +1
    Actually both make me happy, but right now money would make me happier. If you have respect from those who are important to you, the rest of the world doesn't really matter. Fewer people today have respect for anyone, including themselves, or respect others for the wrong reasons.
  • 2012/06/25 20:52:27
    Respect
    It was hard to decide. You can do so much with money. And people automatically respect you if you have money--unless you do something awful to lose it--like sodomize little boys, or have a kid with a mistress while your wife is dying. It still helps.
  • El Prez 2012/06/25 20:33:55
    Respect
    El Prez
    +1
    Money is fleeting and fickle!
  • Boo El Prez 2012/06/25 21:05:06
    Boo
    +2
    Respect can also be fleeting and fickle.
  • theprothinker 2012/06/25 20:18:58
    Respect
    theprothinker
    The correct answer, OBVIOUSLY, is BOTH.
  • Sista Nunya 2012/06/25 20:16:19
  • Patric 2012/06/25 20:14:25
    Money
    Patric
    I already got all the respect I can use.
  • JimTheGeek 2012/06/25 20:01:58
    Money
    JimTheGeek
    +2
    Screw everybody else. Respect doesn't put food on the table. I don't need other people to validate me.

2014/09/02 07:25:32