What jobs allow medical Marijuana?

jumboshrimp 2012/02/13 07:17:40
Okay so I get medical Marijuana and I really need a job so I was just wondering if this place can give me better answers than google can, google sucks. Anyways, thank you for your time.

• BlytheSpirit~bn0 2012/02/13 08:19:10
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +4
    I suggest you get a job with a company that doesn't do pee tests. They should be illegal anyway, but for the present, well you know. Anyway, Federal law doesn't protect you even if you're legal in your State, so if you have to pee in a cup to get a job you're screwed. However, if they ask on the application if you use MJ, I'd lie and say "NO." They don't need to know about it anyway. No more than any other prescription you may be using.

• Steve 2012/02/23 10:38:11
    Steve
    +1
    1. Operate your own business
    2. Work in a medical marijuana dispensary
    3. Work for NORML
    4. otherwise, it's up to the particular policy of your employer.
  • Catnip "Guru" ∞ 2012/02/14 03:29:06
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    Greatful Dead's roadie?
  • Willski 2012/02/13 21:47:45
    Willski
    Google's awesome! don't you dare criticise it!
    from what i know either you can't be employed, or people wont want to employ you, but i'm not exactly in the right country to know.
  • Centrist_Bill 2012/02/13 19:29:17
    Centrist_Bill
    The simple answer is nowhere. However I am a MM user and I run my own business. You ought to try it. The big question is do you really NEED it during work hours. I have yet to see a person that NEEDS it during the daytime.
  • jumbosh... Centris... 2012/02/17 01:26:24
    jumboshrimp
    Well no I wasn't planning on smoking it during work hours, I'm just worried about the drug test and stuff.
  • Centris... jumbosh... 2012/02/17 19:05:04
    Centrist_Bill
    +1
    As I said you ought to try building your own business.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2012/02/13 17:18:42
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    Smoking (of any kind) is usually prohibited in the workplace.
  • bigeasy628 2012/02/13 15:39:38
    bigeasy628
    +2
    in Michigan a bill is going to be law that says you cant be tested for marijuana even, it will be totally legal
  • TerryAgee 2012/02/13 14:16:54
    TerryAgee
    Look into becoming a travel companion. I wish you the best of luck!
  • Swany 2012/02/13 13:13:59
    Swany
    +1
    Big pharma. companies will never allow you to work unless they can profit. big pharma
  • Patric 2012/02/13 10:46:34
    Patric
    Acorn ?

white house czar ?
    +1
    Haha! Yeah, it can barely translate properly too. There must be medical work that uses it or otherwise the rules of the job can permit you to use "medical" marijuana--that is, marijuana guaranteed by the AMA.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/02/13 08:54:26
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +3
    According to the Federal Drug Free work acts,

No pot smoker can work anywhere....
  • SicFux651 2012/02/13 08:26:21
  • Daniel SicFux651 2012/02/13 12:18:14
    Daniel
    +1
    Sure they can. First it's against Federal Law and I can fire anyone breaking the Law. Even if it wasn't, I still wouldn't let them work. I won't let my men work if they're on any kind of substance.
  • SicFux651 Daniel 2012/02/13 17:52:57
    SicFux651
    it not illegal to do drugs..its illegal to have them on you I know for a fact. and if its medical its legal. I know alot about the law and ive pissed cops off and got out of being arrested for what i know
  • Daniel SicFux651 2012/02/13 19:03:46
    Daniel
    +1
    Young man, I spent 9.5 years in prison and using is possession. There's prisons all across the country filled with men for using. If it's in your system you're in possession.
  • SicFux651 Daniel 2012/02/14 04:44:56 (edited)
    SicFux651
    they cant arrest you if your legaly smokeing it..if you have the med cared you can do it and no where cant hire because of it
  • Daniel SicFux651 2012/02/14 09:56:23
    Daniel
    +1
    That's not what you said above and everyyone can refuse to hire you. I've dropped employees and fired them for it. You can't be on my job sites on anything, legal or not. I'll fire them for being hung over. It wouldn't matter if the Feds made marijuana legal. I'd still fire them. You can't drink on my job either.
  • SicFux651 Daniel 2012/02/14 18:40:45
    SicFux651
    +1
    i dont care about your job...my job encourages it
  • Daniel SicFux651 2012/02/14 18:47:00
    Daniel
    +1
    Please, you're a seventeen year old kid who isn't old enough to do my job. Osha won't let me put you on a ldder. Lol
  • SicFux651 Daniel 2012/02/15 11:59:39
    SicFux651
    my job engourages..not yours
  • Daniel SicFux651 2012/02/15 12:36:14
    Daniel
    +1
    Sure it does. You can't even get a job at a convenience store with pot in your system. Enjoy life as a worthless bum.
  • SicFux651 Daniel 2012/02/15 20:28:17
    SicFux651
    music career..makeing more money thne you do
  • Daniel SicFux651 2012/02/16 02:39:08
    Daniel
    +1
    Not acording to your profile you don't. Opps, gotya. Better luck next time.
  • BlytheSpirit~bn0 2012/02/13 08:19:10
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +4
  • Judy224 2012/02/13 07:48:12
    Judy224
    +3
    If you are bad enough to need medical marijuana, how can you hold down a job?
  • BlytheS... Judy224 2012/02/13 08:20:13
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +4
    You don't know much about the use of medical marijuana or how it helps people live a more productive life, do you Judy. Perhaps you could educate yourself and then come back and apologize to the poster of this question.
  • Judy224 BlytheS... 2012/02/13 08:25:35
  • jumbosh... Judy224 2012/02/17 01:31:59
    jumboshrimp
    +2
    Judy Judy Judy, you wanted a reply well here you go: I am not "bad" because I use medical marijuana. I am actually so much more of a better person now that I use medical marijuana. I am perfectly capable of holding down a job, and it's actually quite rude of YOU to assume that just because I am a user of medical marijuana I cannot hold down a job. Therefore, it is best that YOU mind your own damn business, and gtfo.
  • Judy224 jumbosh... 2012/02/17 03:40:04
    Judy224
    +1
    Jumbo, The first thing I want to tell you is you have a pig mouth. You leave one more nasty word for me and I am reporting you. Now, the second thing is I did not assume anything. I never said you were "bad". Show me where I said that. All I did was ask how you can hold down a job. Plain, simple question. I didn't think it would be so hard for you to answer it. I don't know what kind of problems cause the need for medical marijuana. I don't know what's wrong with you, so I was just wondering how you would hold down a job. I didn't see anything wrong in asking, since I never knew anyone who needed medical marijuana. Who better to educate the public than you, someone who needs it?
    Now please play nice. No more pig mouth here or I will report you like I did the poster above, and had that abusive comment removed. If you don't want to answer me, you don't have to. But people don't know how it works unless the people who have the problem explain it.
  • Judy224 jumbosh... 2012/02/17 03:40:47
    Judy224
    +1
    By the way, I gave you a rave my mistake. Your answer did not deserve one.
  • jumbosh... jumbosh... 2012/02/22 04:38:28
    jumboshrimp
    OKAY JUDY I DON'T HAVE A PIG MOUTH PLEASE APOLOGIZE IT HRTS MY FEELINS.
  • Daniel Judy224 2012/02/13 12:24:25
    Daniel
    +1
    I have to agree with you here. Either he needs the drug or he's one of thousands abusing the Law. Of course I knew when it passed here in Arizona everyone was going to need it.
  • jumbosh... Daniel 2012/02/17 01:34:01
    jumboshrimp
    +1
    Oh my god you people don't know anything haha nobody NEEDS marijuana. Just because it helps the pain go away doesn't mean that we NEED it. Do you NEED a Tylenol when you take one?
  • Daniel jumbosh... 2012/02/18 15:14:41
    Daniel
    +1
    That was my point and I don't use pain meds. I also don't take any drugs.
  • Vivica ... Judy224 2012/07/25 19:28:46
    Vivica Rose
    +1
    Hi Judy,
    I dont know if you are still replying to this but I would like to try and explain how things are, at least for me.

I have had problems with anxiety since I was about 6 years old which has made it difficult for me to go out and live a normal life. Pretty much most of the time I would stay in my room and had a difficult time even attending school because I would feel panicked and would not be able to pay attention, and my grades suffered. We can add into this that I started having chronic migraines when I was 8 years old. So between the anxiety and constant sensitivity to light and sound I was a mess of a child.

You are probably wondering: Why not take other medications for both issues? The truth is, I did. My parents took me to therapists and doctors to try to sort things out and they also tried yelling at me and telling me to be an adult and live through the pain. However, attempting to live through the pain was what I had to do until a few months ago. Federally Legal prescriptions for both the anxiety and the migraines not only had a mess of side effects that were not meant for young children, but they interfered with other prescriptions I was taking for more serious health matters that can not be helped with medical cannabis. The interference with my health issues tha...

Hi Judy,

You are probably wondering: Why not take other medications for both issues? The truth is, I did. My parents took me to therapists and doctors to try to sort things out and they also tried yelling at me and telling me to be an adult and live through the pain. However, attempting to live through the pain was what I had to do until a few months ago. Federally Legal prescriptions for both the anxiety and the migraines not only had a mess of side effects that were not meant for young children, but they interfered with other prescriptions I was taking for more serious health matters that can not be helped with medical cannabis. The interference with my health issues that were much worse than the anxiety and migraines combined was not something that I wanted or my parents wanted when I was a child. It is still not something that would be smart in any way for me.

I lived from when I was 12-24 not being able to focus well in school and while I was able to hold down a job, I was always made to work by myself and somewhere that I would not be interacting with people. I am not anti-social by nature, but because the anxiety would also affect how I act around people, it did not help me at all with most jobs that young people usually get which is customer service. We also have to add in that I did not do well at school due to my issues. And please, believe me when I say I tried my best. In my household if you were not a straight A's sort of kid you were reprimanded for it.

While I was working at my first job I befriended a few of my co-workers which, was actually a pleasant surprise for me. At that time (I was 18) They told me I should smoke weed to try to "relax" a bit and not suffer from migraines so much. I politely told them I didnt think it was me. I was against trying it and felt that how they kept insisting was pushy and rude. Needless to say, I chose not to be friends with them anymore because I felt they were trying to get me to do something that was harmful.

I did not want to try marijuana or anything else at all. Ever.

Fast forward to last November. I was at my doctor and we were discussing how my life was at that point and whether there were new medical options for both my health issues and the anxiety/migraines. My doctor told me "I probably shouldnt say this, but have you thought about trying medical cannabis?" I told her no. I did not want to try it. Two weeks later, my mother started dating a man who has stomach cancer and he is a medical cannabis patient. The more I talked to him and saw how it helped him, the more I wondered if it would help me. I went back to my doctor and talked to her again and she said that yes, smoking marijuana would not interfere with the prescriptions I was on and that while she would personally not prescribe it for me, she said she would not condone me if I found someone who did.

I was still skeptical. I did not want to smoke, I didnt want to be associated as a "pot head" or a druggie and wasn't sure if it would help me. But I decided to go ahead and go to one of the medical marijuana clinics here and talk to a doctor. I got a prescription and then went to my mother and her boyfriend and talked to them about it. Surprisingly enough, my mom said she was considering trying to ask me if I wanted to try it, but thought I would be against it.

I was smoking regularly, though not enough to be out of it or high up until 6 weeks ago starting January 16th of this year. I was going back to school, doing a lot better than I had ever been, migraines were gone, anxiety was greatly diminished and my overall health was improving because my general attitude about life was improving. I didnt want to believe it was helping at first, but for me it really really was. I even finally had a boyfriend! Life was looking great.

Why did I stop smoking you may ask? I was looking for a new job and the place I want to work at does not allow their employees to fail a drug test no matter what. I told them I was a medical marijuana patient and they told me to come back when I can pass. Not smoking for these past 6 weeks has not been difficult in the sense that I want to smoke, but what has been difficult is the increasing anxiety and constant migraines I have had again. I have also become more isolated and distant from the friends I have made these past 6 months and even from the boyfriend that I had. Just to add insult to injury, when I went in again to speak to the HR woman I spoke to originally to try to work for them now that I would pass the test the woman told me she was glad to see that I "was taking the effort to clean up my life." I still did not get the job however and am back to feeling as miserable as I did before I started smoking. I am however abstaining until I can find work

While I can understand that a lot of people do use having their marijuana be medical as an excuse to get to smoke, it was not one for me. I actually do not condone marijuana use at all for recreational use.

I hope that this, while long does give you some insight as to how it can be for some people and why they might chose medical marijuana as their answer.
  • ehrhornp 2012/02/13 07:34:31
    ehrhornp
    I would think a white collar job as compared to say a construction worker. I believe they are more likely to test. I am an insurance agent and I know the construction companies I deal with kinda have to do it, but I don't see that happening in retail or office work. (unless there is an obvious reason)
  • no one here 2012/02/13 07:24:17
    no one here
    Not on JOB that is why it is called 420 ; )

420
  • User Deactivated 2012/02/13 07:22:04
    User Deactivated
    +1
    I may suck just as much as those other options, but I am fairly certain if it is legal, and prescribed, no job can not hire you solely for that . If you came to work or into the interview high off your as* on medical marijuana, they'd be allowed to take action against you, but not otherwise.

2014/10/21 14:15:05